Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Lastgirl posted:

oo it looks like they added new sail patterns, super neat
That's the founder's pack sail.

Version 2 of that design earlier, 2400ish kg instead of 1200ish with better engine protection. And most of the extra weight was engines and the two added cannons anyway. Each of these is about 20% heavier than the first ones if I remember the weight of the first ones right, about 230kg each. Cannons are about 100kg each. Still divided on the cannons for a solo ship, especially the front one. Still a few more metal plates to make too, but they're the less important ones where cannons are less likely to hit.

Engine room. One gas tank on the side made of nickel/copper instead of hemlock/copper was causing the ship to pull left significantly, but since I used the gas guzzler engines on the redo, it's nice to have two tanks anyway even if I had room to put the tank centerline. Also, I can use the helm from on top of the respawner to get up easily if I need to.

Helm view. A bit cramped due to trying to keep things compact for light weight, but could be worse. Also I totally did not put that compass on wrong I swear. Helm box is for holding pistol, bullet and cannon ammo materials for when they're needed.

Overhead view.

About 70-90% faster I'd guess over the first setup since that one used more fuel efficient engines, but I didn't have a speedometer at the time. About 50-60% faster than two engines. Doesn't go fast enough. I've seen >40 knots, but I dunno if that's the real max speed or if lag is holding it back or what.

E: There's another wing underneath too, that's left out of the shots. I wanted it on top, but apparently you can't put wings on decks, and I made the top perfectly flat this time!

Kylra fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
My current work in progress. Need to find a decent engine schematic still.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Start to look a bit like the Golden Condor... which is totally what I now want to make. (when i get a key that is)

Verge
Nov 26, 2014

Where do you live? Do you have normal amenities, like a fridge and white skin?
I don't know if I'll be joining w/ goons (gonna play w/ RL friends) but I'd like to hang w/ goons in discord sometimes. So this is me posting.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
Taking a day off work when they announce the exact date for the sale next week. I had to just stare and watch the last sale run out in 40 minutes while at work.

Fallout
Mar 8, 2005
Ignorance is bliss
What game would be complete without goons making phallic objects and ramming them into things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByAaCpXsGVY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7eKBGT1Wms

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Took a break because of how bad the memory leak in this game is. Decided to try out the island creator instead.

It also has a memory leak.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, that narrows that down.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
We are doing a pickup for anyone whos in T1-2 and going back into T3-4. So if anyone needs a lift get in discord.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Patch Next Week

YOUR FEEDBACK, AND OUR WORK AHEAD

June 9th 2017

Hello wanderers,

For the last few weeks, we’ve been hard at work on the first patch in Closed Beta, 0.1.1, which we’re hoping to release next week. Sorry we’ve been a bit quiet, but we really wanted to focus all our energies on getting out the fixes to the biggest bugs as soon as we could!

Don’t worry, though, we’ve heard your feedback loud and clear. And now that we can take a breath, we’d really like to share our thoughts on our priorities. To address many of these issues, we’ve been planning design solutions or rearranging things to move up future features.

Here are the top priority things on our board:

Multiple issues players often collectively refer to as “lag”:

Big freezes when flying from island to island, usually resulting in getting catapulted off your ship. This gets worse the longer you play, generally requiring relogging after three or four hours.

This is something we’ve been working on progressively optimizing for months. We’ve improved it again for 0.1.1, and should have fixed the bug causing steady degradation over long sessions.
Servers being overloaded, resulting in physics slowdown. This manifests in choppiness in movements of creatures, metal scrap pieces, anything physical, but probably worst with ships being slowed down as well. Particularly rough when you’re trying to fly through weather barriers, or when you’re worried about fuel.

This is, as most people have guessed, due to overloaded physics on the servers. We’ve already implemented into 0.1.0 certain cleanup procedures for abandoned ship frames, which are a big offender. In 0.1.2, we’re looking to implement more elegant design solutions.

The worst offenders, however, were bugs that would cause lots of physics resources to be eaten up by a very small number of ships. Most have been fixed in 0.1.1, but this is ongoing.
Choppy framerate when loading in new parts of an island, most noticeable when running across really large islands in the Wilderness.

This is a longer-term issue that we’re planning for.

Not being able to log into your character:

Some of you have encountered this bug, where after playing for some time, your character would break and not allow you to log back in. We have been manually fixing those characters, but 0.1.1 should fix the underlying bug.

Player-vs-player balance, including griefing:

Currently too easy to salvage a shipyard and steal a docked ship.

In the short term, shipyards will either have their HP buffed, or, in a more drastic change, shipyards currently docking a ship will not be salvageable. They will require pistols, explosives, or cannon shells to damage. In the longterm, shipyards will be extensible similar to how sky cores are, so the upgrades will confer defensive benefits.
Pistols are overpowered when shooting ship parts. Cannons are rendered mostly obsolete in ship combat when boarding opponent’s’ ships and and shooting their engines or other parts with your pistol is so powerful.

In the short term, we’ll simply make pistols do way less damage to ship parts. In the medium term, there are more elegant solutions with how damage and health work for different types of entities in the game that we want to get implemented. In addition, we’ve long planned methods to forcibly detach someone’s grapple, as well as melee weapons. The specifics still need to be worked out, but we definitely want these features in!
It’s still too easy for hostile players to use your helm or opening your containers.

In the upgrade from Alpha 6 to Closed Beta, we added the additional timer for interacting with anything on a ship that didn’t belong to you. (In Alpha 6 and before, anyone could really grab your helm!) We’re probably going to increase this timer for an immediate fix.

In a future update we’ll be adding animations for when someone is trying to use an object, so you’ll know to immediately start shooting/meleeing them (and thus cancelling their action). There are various other design solutions we’re discussing – for example, craftable locks are definitely still planned, but wouldn’t solve the problem entirely.
In general, it takes a lot less work and a lot less effort to destroy a ship than to build it.

We definitely hear you on this. This has been something we’ve been trying to find the right balance on since the very first internal playtests, and with every new feature the balance shifts and needs to be reevaluated. This is a very broad topic, though, that deserves its own space – We’ll be addressing it soon in its own blog post.

The “clutter” of abandoned ship frames and parts:

Part of this issue is due to the game not doing a good job explaining how ships work (for example, players are making, as their first ship, cool designs that are just too heavy to fly). We’ll be addressing that issue in future updates. But part of it is definitely the inability to salvage ship frames. We’re thinking about, for 0.1.2, letting players salvage ship frames that have started deteriorating already, as well as other mechanisms for cleaning up the world.

The randomness of acquiring Atlas Sky Core upgrades

Lots of players, due to bad luck, take a long time to find the schematic for the upgrades to their sky core. We definitely feel your frustration on this, and are looking into solutions. Simply putting these into the Knowledge tree would create other problems, and not fully solve this. We’d like to find a comprehensive, elegant solution.

Choosing your character name at character creation, and multiple characters

There’s not much to say about these except that we really want these in as well! In a future update you will be able to change the character name you reserved on the website.

Multiple characters is important to us because we want players to be able to have a character they play with their crew, and then a character they play when they just want to fly solo or even with a different crew.

There are plenty of other issues we’ve gotten feedback on (e.g., we’ll probably be making the compass schematic available in the Expanse), but we wanted to specifically call out the big ticket items today. They’re as important to us as they are to you, trust me! We’re committed to delivering on our vision of Worlds Adrift – the freedom, the adventure, the excitement, the wonder, and the laughs – and we can’t do that without your comments, opinions, ideas, and feedback driving us forward.

As always, fly safe.

Herb

Producer

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Hey if devs are concerned about physics lag maybe they should ditch the lovely paneling system

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Jackard posted:

Hey if devs are concerned about physics lag maybe they should ditch the lovely paneling system
One can only hope.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Jackard posted:

What just have it work like decks and "skin" a given section of ship?

Turkina_Prime
Oct 26, 2013

When does this go back on sale? I was in the alpha and enjoyed it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

What just have it work like decks and "skin" a given section of ship?

That's what we've been forever suggesting

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Harminoff posted:

I have like $200 on steam though thanks to pubg
How?

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The paneling system is super janky but it's my kind of janky. I'd rather they fix the lag if they can than just give up and switch to the tasteless fill-tool they have for decks.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
when i played the free version, i immediately recongnized the paneling system as interesting. im not a networkologist but uhhh how do you have ~30 panels with uniquely placed graphic effects + whatever physics they have x (~20 ships in a fight + all the players involved) and not burn down a server rack

it used to be a viable strategy in games like rust, h1z1 and etc base building games to fill gigantic bases with the most laggy objects possible and just have a better pc to win. i expect the same here, but giant lagships

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I remember Rust having similar issues with individually placed wall blocks and I think their solution was to dynamically aggregate similar blocks into single units to simplify physics and graphics tasks. Since ships are a lot smaller I don't see that solution being viable, but could see some sort of physics simplification (gibbing, noclipping) for destroyed panels coming into play eventually.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

dylguy90 posted:

I remember Rust having similar issues with individually placed wall blocks and I think their solution was to dynamically aggregate similar blocks into single units to simplify physics and graphics tasks. Since ships are a lot smaller I don't see that solution being viable, but could see some sort of physics simplification (gibbing, noclipping) for destroyed panels coming into play eventually.

I was just about to post the same thing. They should look at how Rust handled it.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Paid $40 for the pre release version that came with skins that are selling for a crazy amount. $200 for coat, $100 for bandana and still have a few items to sell for +$75ish.

Getting games with preorder exclusives that are sellable is a pretty good investment.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
A new natural goon enemy has emerged.

https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/its-time-to-fight-back/

Savage Shulkie
May 13, 2009

Ogon’ po gotovnosti!

This is absolute GOLD. Proest of clicks

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I've dealt with this guy in the past and doubt he can handle any level of pvp - he freaks out over stuff

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Guys this is gonna be a good goon game I'm calling it now

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
a clan to combat griefing ends up being the griefers oh no who couldve seen this coming

forge
Feb 26, 2006
We are creating a group called the TSA. It's in the works. This will fight back against groups such as the knights of the whatever. We'll require everyone to get leeloo dallas multipass to fly above 1500 altitude. Otherwise you are considered hostile. We also hold the right to flag ships for possible criminal behavior and board and search said ships for contraband. This is sure to be a hit on the forums.

Who can out role play the role players?

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK

forge posted:

We are creating a group called the TSA. It's in the works. This will fight back against groups such as the knights of the whatever. We'll require everyone to get leeloo dallas multipass to fly above 1500 altitude. Otherwise you are considered hostile. We also hold the right to flag ships for possible criminal behavior and board and search said ships for contraband. This is sure to be a hit on the forums.

Who can out role play the role players?

Hahaah I'm in.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

. im not a networkologist but uhhh how do you have ~30 panels with uniquely placed graphic effects + whatever physics they have x (~20 ships in a fight + all the players involved) and not burn down a server rack
The graphics are client-side and don't matter. To the server they are more or less something like a bunch of coordinates that make a wireframe drawing. Material type is just a simple tiny number on the servers. As far as I can tell, if you look at the panels when they get damaged, they have static damage patterns per object type, so all you need to know for rendering or to check server side is the damage amount for the panel. If that's the case, then after that number is given to the client, then most likely the graphical effect is transformed across the surface client side no matter which way it is bent.

The lack of more serious performance issues probably has to do with anchoring to the frame preventing a wide swath of physics interactions. Kind of like how a lot of mmos don't process or load collision and targeting and such as rigidly in non-combat areas to save the overhead. Presumably from what they've mentioned a large chunk of the remaining non-garbage collection performances issue lie with overlapping plates in some way, my guess being that they cause some kind of constant collision issue (which needs to be constantly calculated). My guess at their solution would be to shortcut the physics even more on overlapping plates as long as they are still attached to the frame so the servers don't have to calculate so many "null" collisions (assuming that's what's happening).

What I want to know is how they're going to physics enable frames without burning down the servers if there's already this many issues.

Kylra fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 12, 2017

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Worlds Adrift can step aside. A new game has come out that does the same thing but no flying, or mass pvping.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/649740/CRAFT_BATTLE_SIMULATOR/

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Turd Herder posted:

Worlds Adrift can step aside. A new game has come out that does the same thing but no flying, or mass pvping.

No crafting either it seems. A ripoff just like those Warcraft games except that one good one at the end.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

Kylra posted:

No crafting either it seems. A ripoff just like those Warcraft games except that one good one at the end.

I don't get why they call it Craft Battle simulator but I didn't see any crafting either. All the boats looked the same.

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me

Turd Herder posted:

This looks really bad.

futile
May 18, 2009
drat this game looks real bad

I love bad games

Is it true the FPS in the beta is complete poo poo though? Like 20-30fps?

futile fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 14, 2017

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

futile posted:

I love bad games

It varies a lot, mostly dependent on island size and number of big ships in the area or loose parts on the ground. Also of course the memory leak has performance dropping over time until it crashes.

I think beta was a bit pre-mature, but it really is a good game. Just needs a poo poo ton of work.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

futile posted:

I love bad games

I usually hit 50fps on an i5-6600k with a 1070 but at times it will drop to 30 for no reason but usually comes back up.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Some of the memory leaks were fixed. So imo it's not as bad as it was. The patch this week will further look to resolve these issues and the lag on islands. Since I believe this patch deals with adding a system to remove old ship wreckage, and allows players to salvage everything where as before they could not remove old ship frames for resources. And of course a bunch of other stuff we don't know about yet.

[9:57 AM] Bossa Oliver (Not Olivier): personally, I hope in 5 years we have base building, huge alliances that have taken over islands and are fighting over land, trading bases established, huge sky whales that you have to band with many ships to take on, creatures you can tame and group together, maybe even some sort of huge creature you can ride and tame, like a cool seamonster dragon type of thing
[9:57 AM] Bossa Oliver (Not Olivier): but I have no say in it and don't know if that's even possible
[9:57 AM] Bossa Oliver (Not Olivier): lol

Also water..
https://vine.co/v/ebQQxpeEwOa/embed/simple

forge fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jun 14, 2017

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
Department of Goonland Security - Securing the Skies with TSA:

https://www.worldsadrift.com/forums/topic/securing-the-skies-with-tsa/#post-76462

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kE8ARpDTF2w

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I think I love you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

so when do i get my slamwhale t-shirt