Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Solaris 2.0 posted:

So what? They still vote Democratic. So what if they have generational wealth? Whatever, liberal purity tests as often displayed in this thread is why we lose.

I am 5% and will be 1% before the end of this year. I need to start taking pictures of the faces of my Republican friends when I tell them it was luck, not hard work, that got me here and I should absolutely be taxed more than I am. It's like I crouched over their newborn's crib and took a big dump right on their face.

Edit: Speaking of taxes

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

D-Pad posted:

I am 5% and will be 1% before the end of this year. I need to start taking pictures of the faces of my Republican friends when I tell them it was luck, not hard work, that got me here and I should absolutely be taxed more than I am. It's like I crouched over their newborn's crib and took a big dump right on their face.

So I've got this great investment opportunity if you're interested!...

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
goddamn mention you gotta little scratch and the hangers on come out of the woodwork amiright

hey can i borrow $50k

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Honestly, the worst part about that tweet is that the duckling ramp probably saves money. If a mother duck became upset over a trapped duckling, and started attacking people walking past, they would have to have a groundskeeper come by and take care of it. That duckling ramp is saving man hours and keeping the government efficient

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/873321578389532676

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

D-Pad posted:

Edit: Speaking of taxes

The only thing sure in this world are dogs and taxes.

New approval polls today. Trump finally crested 56% disapproval rate and is one short hair from dipping into 37% approval rating. Remember that the remainder of 6% are people who neither approve nor disapprove, and that is loving astounding that pretty much everyone has an opinion.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tenik posted:

Honestly, the worst part about that tweet is that the duckling ramp probably saves money. If a mother duck became upset over a trapped duckling, and started attacking people walking past, they would have to have a groundskeeper come by and take care of it. That duckling ramp is saving man hours and keeping the government efficient

Yeah but it's being nice to something. That goes against absolutely everything the GOP stands for.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ice Phisherman posted:

The only thing sure in this world are dogs and taxes.

New approval polls today. Trump finally crested 56% disapproval rate and is one short hair from dipping into 37% approval rating. Remember that the remainder of 6% are people who neither approve nor disapprove, and that is loving astounding that pretty much everyone has an opinion.

"Neither approve nor disapprove" is and always has been "I don't care."

America is a nation governed by its comfort and vices. So long as we can drive thru McDonald's and get a cheeseburger for about a buck, they could reincarnate Hitler, install him as President for Life, and a set percentage of people wouldn't give a tin gently caress so long as they were *comfortable*.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

So is this handing over and confirming the validity of Comey's memos?

It seems like these investigations have way too much momentum behind them now for Trump to keep deflecting. He's bleeding support even from his diehard zealots.

Also certainly not helping that he regularly fucks up all of his other duties outside the investigations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Honestly, the Disapprove+Approve being so close to 100% is a sign of how insanely strong of feelings he's dug up.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

It was the most watched Congressional testimony ever PERIOD.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Tenik posted:

republicans don't spend money to save money

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

skylined! posted:

goddamn mention you gotta little scratch and the hangers on come out of the woodwork amiright

hey can i borrow $50k

For a small fee I'll get these leeches off your back, bro. Just say the word.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I think the biggest problem with taxes in general is that the logistics of paying them – the way they end up in individualss bank accounts first, and then have to be paid by the individuals to the government – make people think it's their money. Whereas the reality is that it is the government's money.

I really wish the system was set up in such a way that businesses paid each person's income tax to the government directly, and all mentions and discussions of salary were net income rather than gross income. In other words, the government should take its cut directly.

I know there are a billion complications that necessitate the current system, such as various deductions that reveal personal information about you that the business is better off not knowing. But if the above methodology is used as a guiding principle when simplifying the tax code I think most people would be happier.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Your Taint posted:

It was the most watched Congressional testimony ever PERIOD.

Well great now trump will have to get his testimony in too, can't have that showboat comey get all the attention.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Older millenials like me who graduated before the recession definitely have it better than those that graduated after. I got my MS in 2006 and was just on the cusp of not getting a really good fixed rate on my student loans. And of course there was an actual job market. I bought a home at 29 without direct help but my parents paid for my undergraduate education.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

RasperFat posted:

So is this handing over and confirming the validity of Comey's memos?

It seems like these investigations have way too much momentum behind them now for Trump to keep deflecting. He's bleeding support even from his diehard zealots.

Also certainly not helping that he regularly fucks up all of his other duties outside the investigations.

His diehard zealots would support him even if Trump broke into their houses in the middle of the night and made them watch as he killed their families in front of them. Im only half kidding.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 10, 2017

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Tenik posted:

It's like the post office. Republicans talk about how bloated and slow and inefficient it is but the reality is it's actually running really well and doing great.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

actionjackson posted:

Older millenials like me who graduated before the recession definitely have it better than those that graduated after. I got my MS in 2006 and was just on the cusp of not getting a really good fixed rate on my student loans. And of course there was an actual job market. I bought a home at 29 without direct help but my parents paid for my undergraduate education.

I'm late-gen-X and holy poo poo did I slide in under the wire.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

enraged_camel posted:

I think the biggest problem with taxes in general is that the logistics of paying them – the way they end up in individualss bank accounts first, and then have to be paid by the individuals to the government – make people think it's their money. Whereas the reality is that it is the government's money.

I really wish the system was set up in such a way that businesses paid each person's income tax to the government directly, and all mentions and discussions of salary were net income rather than gross income. In other words, the government should take its cut directly.

I know there are a billion complications that necessitate the current system, such as various deductions that reveal personal information about you that the business is better off not knowing. But if the above methodology is used as a guiding principle when simplifying the tax code I think most people would be happier.

Have you never had an actual job?

That's essentially how the majority of businesses operate. It's that W4 withholding thing were you declare your number of deductions which is used to calculate how much they hold out of your taxes to give to the government.
It's one of the lines on your paystub.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Jaxyon posted:

For a small fee I'll get these leeches off your back, bro. Just say the word.

i'll be happy to broker this deal between the both of you

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So can Trump just say something along the lines of "There are no tapes I was kidding about that lol" and thats it? Like it seems that the only way to prove or disprove the existence of these tapes is the Trump admitting they exist. And if there's anything on there that will get him in a load of trouble then why would he admit they exist? The fact that he doesn't deny it makes me think that there might be something on them that makes Comey look bad, hence Trump's tweet threat.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

RasperFat posted:

He's bleeding support even from his diehard zealots.

Nope. I don't understand it either but living in a red state and knowing many people who are conservative and watch fox news religiously, they see the Comey thing as validation for Trump. There is not a single thing in the world that will convince these people.

That's fine though, all we need is to get people who hate Trump to vote. But I don't see the Comey thing or even the Russian Investigation changing that dynamic much because they will always find some explanation to justify it. Or barring that, they'll just bring up something that Dems are doing that they say is just as bad and that in their eyes completely negates it.

But yeah, give up on those people they are lost. Just focus on getting Dems and Independents to vote, there's enough of us to make a dent in 2018 and fix this nonsense in 2020.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

actionjackson posted:

Aaaaahh I'm jealous! I graduated a year ago and I pay $1300 a month in student loans. I'll be ready to start a family by 2026!!

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Your Taint posted:

His diehard zealots would support him even if Trump broke into their houses in the middle of the night and made them watch as he killed their families in front of them. Im only half kidding.

A small core of them sure. But only the craziest SovCit and the most insane Evangelical loonies left to support him if he continues like this, not a strong coalition. His strong support has dropped 10 points among Republicans, that's pretty bad for less than halfway through his first year.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

enraged_camel posted:

Or for people like myself, save me the hassle of filing taxes. I'm single, no kids, rent, and work for the federal government. I get paid from taxpayer dollars, so just adjust my earnings appropriately and let me have one less thing to think about.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Charliegrs posted:

So can Trump just say something along the lines of "There are no tapes I was kidding about that lol" and thats it? Like it seems that the only way to prove or disprove the existence of these tapes is the Trump admitting they exist. And if there's anything on there that will get him in a load of trouble then why would he admit they exist? The fact that he doesn't deny it makes me think that there might be something on them that makes Comey look bad, hence Trump's tweet threat.

Either way he looks bad. Either he has to come out and admit there are no tapes, or he releases them, or he refuses to release them under subpeona and gets held in contempt of Congress

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I can't figure out about the tapes because there are two possibilities that are both heavily evidenced by other factors.

1. Trump tapes everything, which we all already knew, and he taped Comey but can't actually confirm that unless he wants to go sailing into the nether;

2. Trump didn't tape it and lied to bully Comey, and he can never back off a lie.

To me there is no way to distinguish which is more likely. They are both completely in character.

The only possible third option is that Trump does not know whether there are tapes or not. This might actually be worse for him than the first two options.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

actionjackson posted:

lol i'm 32 and just stayed in college another 3 years for a lovely english BA through the worst part of recession and now own a home and two cars and have a career :smugdog:

of course i have student loan debt and am three years behind my peers and my degree is in english but :smugdog:

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

enraged_camel posted:

They actually did some experiments where the California tax service did your taxes for you, sent out a form saying "this is how much taxes we think you owe, is this correct?" and people LOVED it. But when the Stanford professor who spearheaded the experiment went to try to talk to politicians, he found himself stonewalled thanks to the tax preparation lobby.

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=521132960

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Mister Mind posted:

In this fast-paced thread, this is way out of date, but God drat - NUKE OHIO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCf3mPUgsac
This is so depressing to watch.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

BabelFish posted:

They actually did some experiments where the California tax service did your taxes for you, sent out a form saying "this is how much taxes we think you owe, is this correct?" and people LOVED it. But when the Stanford professor who spearheaded the experiment went to try to talk to politicians, he found himself stonewalled thanks to the tax preparation lobby.

http://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=521132960

Yeah, you wanna talk about a wasteful parasite for your money...

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

mdemone posted:

The only possible third option is that Trump does not know whether there are tapes or not. This might actually be worse for him than the first two options.

I suspect that the answer is

1) There are not in fact any tapes

2) Trump's staff do not know if there are tapes or not

3) Trump wants people to believe he tapes everything, but is not competent enough to actually have arranged such taping

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I'm also guessing there are no tapes. Trump was projecting again and hoping Comey would back off in case he said something accidentally incriminating during the conversation he might not have remembered.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Aaaaahh I'm jealous! I graduated a year ago and I pay $1300 a month in student loans. I'll be ready to start a family by 2026!!

Get on IBR or refinance bro.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
One more, possibility, I think: there are tapes, and someone got the bright idea to have a Rose Mary Woods moment before realizing how serious this investigation is.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

RasperFat posted:

A small core of them sure. But only the craziest SovCit and the most insane Evangelical loonies left to support him if he continues like this, not a strong coalition. His strong support has dropped 10 points among Republicans, that's pretty bad for less than halfway through his first year.

You are really underestimating the stubbornness of his base. A lot of these people are relatively "normal", they just refuse to see. Like if you say things like, Healthcare shouldn't be for profit, people/minorities should be respected, gay and trans people should be allowed to be themselves, they'll say yes they agree. You talk anything specific that's negative about any republican? They'll resist resist resist. Jeff Sessions? No he's just trying to fix the problem with all the violent criminals being let loose under Obama. He's not trying to go after minorities or put people in jail for life for non-violent drug crimes. etc etc etc. It's... a really bizarre thing.

I think huge part of the fault is how talk radio and fox news has done a lot to poison these people's view of the media, and they want to trust the Republicans so much that they've just become blind. Over 30% of the population still supports him, those aren't all SovCit or Evangelical folks. I'd certainly hope not anyways. There is some major cognitive dissonance thing going on too. I don't know how else to explain it.

I wonder, if Fox news were to turn on Trump, just how long would it take for his approval to reach single digits?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/thehill/status/873329134386237440

Where is that giant :psyduck: smilie, seriously.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the loving :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

lmao gently caress

• Locked thread