Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

AlexDeGruven posted:

How many lines do you have, and how much are you currently paying? I'd guess that you'd end up saving if you just went unlimited for everyone ($45/line) instead of trying to cling to your outdated plan.

5 total lines. I imagine the overall savings would be enough to get me of the grandfathered plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
5 lines unlimited would be $110 for data + (5x$20) line access, or $210/mo. You can make that $200/mo by signing up for auto pay, so yeah it's going to be a lot cheaper.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Fluue posted:

5 total lines. I imagine the overall savings would be enough to get me of the grandfathered plan?

Yeah man, reprioritizing is the only downside of the new unlimited plan, even if you constantly use more than 22GB of data every month I would bet the bullet and just move everyone to it. otherwise they would have to move the other 4 to a sub account (separate bill) and it's just s ton more for 4 lines on unlimited and you on single old unlimited.

Think of it this way: your line is $20 a month on the new unlimited. If you stay on your old plan by yours self, you are likely at $90-120 a month th.

Fluue
Jan 2, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Yeah man, reprioritizing is the only downside of the new unlimited plan, even if you constantly use more than 22GB of data every month I would bet the bullet and just move everyone to it. otherwise they would have to move the other 4 to a sub account (separate bill) and it's just s ton more for 4 lines on unlimited and you on single old unlimited.

Think of it this way: your line is $20 a month on the new unlimited. If you stay on your old plan by yours self, you are likely at $90-120 a month th.

That's what I thought -- seemed like having 1 outlier would be a huge cost. Thanks for the help!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Oh, hey, noticed my bill for this month was $5 more.

Check, and my $5 auto-pay discount was removed.

Get on chat and find out that credit card auto-pay isn't eligible for discount, only debit or checking.

No where on the auto-pay page is this mentioned. There was no prompts when I switched to the new unlimited plan that this was the case. Yes, it's buried in the fine print off the agreement, but it still seems pretty shady regardless.

This is entirely academic since my company reimburses me for my full bill, but it still really rubs me the wrong way. I think this is the final push I need to go on a little carrier tourism. Been a VZW customer for the past 15 years, but I'm really done with their bullshit. It's not like anything special is keeping me here, I can always port back and get the same plan if I don't like the alternatives.

The joys of having a completely carrier free phone.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Weird, I get a $10 autopay discount paying with a cc on the new unlimited.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tonic posted:

Weird, I get a $10 autopay discount paying with a cc on the new unlimited.

Yeah it's supposed to be checking account only. And it may auto change it in the future.

Wouldn't disagree with that, discounts for auto pay are the worst.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The margin for being cost competitive on these plans is razor thin and losing $5 discount due to my payment method is nearly a 6% price increase.

Sorry Verizon, no one gets my checking account details for auto-pay, especially not a portal that has been hacked in the past and can easily order thousands of dollars in merchandise.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Anyone know if I walk into a corporate Verizon store if they can print out balances on my phones? I switched to T-Mobile yesterday and went from 3 lines w/16gb to 4 lines unlimited for $95/mo less.

As soon as our numbers were switched, I was immediately locked out of my Verizon account and can't print payoff info for T-Mobile to process my e-card to pay Verizon off. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but I feel like this is a lovely passive aggressive move on Verizon's part due to this new promotion. Over the phone, they would only send it by mail and I have a limited time to get the info to T-Mobile.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Mammal Sauce posted:

Anyone know if I walk into a corporate Verizon store if they can print out balances on my phones? I switched to T-Mobile yesterday and went from 3 lines w/16gb to 4 lines unlimited for $95/mo less.

As soon as our numbers were switched, I was immediately locked out of my Verizon account and can't print payoff info for T-Mobile to process my e-card to pay Verizon off. I'm not usually a conspiracy theorist, but I feel like this is a lovely passive aggressive move on Verizon's part due to this new promotion. Over the phone, they would only send it by mail and I have a limited time to get the info to T-Mobile.

It will show up on your final bill. If you don't get paper billing, when it generates you can go into a company store and print it out. They won't be able to see it yet, because it won't show up until the final bill.

I'm pretty sure TMobile requires the final bill anyway (because that shows what the remaining balance charged p is) so either way you would be waiting 2-4 weeks for it to show up. I don't know TMobile, but whether you like it or not Verizon, Sprint and ATT all kill online account logins when an account becomes deactivated (aka everyone leaves account).

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Mammal Sauce posted:

I am able to log in to my deactivated Verizon account just fine.

I'm not sure if this URL works, but if you fail a login it will give you a link to log into deactivated accounts that might work:

https://login.verizonwireless.com/a...cure%2Fauth.jsp

My last normal postpaid bill was paid already, so I don't know if I'll get hosed out of seeing the final bill with the charges, but for now I can log in using that link or the normal My Verizon login and still access billing.

I also switched because for the exact same price I could have 2 lines with unlimited data, or shared 8GB...

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

For those who have exceeded the 22GB soft cap on the new unlimited plan--what are your speeds like? This is my first time going over and data is essentially unusable on the towers near my apartment, I can barely refresh my twitter feed.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I went over 22gb for several days and there was zero changes in speed.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:

tonic posted:

For those who have exceeded the 22GB soft cap on the new unlimited plan--what are your speeds like? This is my first time going over and data is essentially unusable on the towers near my apartment, I can barely refresh my twitter feed.

Where do you live?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'm in a rural area so I'm pretty sure I never get de-prioritized.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

cuedotcom posted:

Where do you live?

Seattle. I think it just must be a single overworked tower. Going a mile or so from my apartment, my speed test jumps up to ~50mbit from <1mbit.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

1 mile isn't a huge difference, especially if still in the same zip code. Poor reception/connectivity sounds more likely, particularly if you haven't experienced it before in that same location at a specific time (7-10am -- (4-7pm) and so on. You'd need a pretty busy road/highway, servicing literally thousands of passerbys for 'throttling' to be an issue. I.e. Rush hour/sporting events/etc.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jun 9, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Honestly, even 50mbps on Verizon is pretty terrible. I easily get over 3x that.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Highest I've personally seen in Florida is 100-110 in key west. And a few times where I live ~100 but like Sunday at 6am. Tampa has great speed. 30-70 pretty consistently. Pretty great considering the Tampa metro is about 3m people.

Also considering 50 down is 6.25mb, that's not awful in the least. Over 4mb over 4g, consistently, isn't something to be dismissed. Cox offeres a 50down package for 54.99/mo in my area. New unlimited is what, 105/110? Assuming no edge bullshit and auto pay? It's competitive. If we're only comparing internet and not air time/texting that is.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 10, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Well, all relative.

I regularly get 147-170 mbps around southwest PA.

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

Bull, I'm jealous as gently caress. I can also tell you that you're in the minority. Also: God speed.

Relative indeed.

LA/Vegas/Houston/Charleston/Denver/Atlanta/Jax/Tampa/Orlando/Miami: if you're getting 45+ during "peak hours" before 'throttling' you're doing just fine. If you're in "network prioritization" land and you're suddenly in 1-16mbit/s territory, that's to be expected.

I'd say if you're under the soft cap, and you're getting ~20+ and it's "peak" hours you're also fine. If you're in a metro of >250k or less, regardless of over or under soft cap, and you're getting less than 30 between 11-9am, you should call someone.

If you're over 22gb and it's 8am ish/ 5pm ish and you live even close to a major road/highway and you're pulling less than 10. Your tower is getting destroyed. Read a book.

It's real unforgiving if you're over the soft cap in even in a lovely metro (pop wise) -> say LA/ATL/NY etc. Simple websites are no problem basic HTML, high school programming, slash dot org, etc. The gram/twitter+/any https service isn't gonna be very fun.

If you're trying to live on the new Verizon unlimited, don't expect perfect cable like connection/speed during peak hours if you're OVER the soft cap. Don't expect perfect stable like connection/speed if you're UNDER the soft cap during PEAK hours.

If you're a night owl it's easy. If you're a normal, non vampire human being, it's possible. However, it will take a little adjustment. Play over watch after 10pm. Download game patches after midnight.

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 10, 2017

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Mine is definitely throttling. My wife has an identical phone on the same plan, but is under 22GB for the month and gets 10-20x the speed I get from the same test servers.

Also, I never get anywhere near 100mbit on Verizon LTE. West coast speeds are generally ~10mbit during the day in Seattle/SF/LA. T-Mobile is much faster here, but coverage is still questionable at best.

Not using the unlimited data as my sole ISP, just did a lot of traveling this month. Thankfully my plan rests tomorrow.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I've been on a S Verizon plan for 3 years now and I realized how much I'm paying for not much. I'm looking at the Verizon prepaid plans and the $50 7GB plan seems like a pretty good deal. Am I missing any downsides to prepaid besides video streams restricted to 480p and no tethering?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

I've been on a S Verizon plan for 3 years now and I realized how much I'm paying for not much. I'm looking at the Verizon prepaid plans and the $50 7GB plan seems like a pretty good deal. Am I missing any downsides to prepaid besides video streams restricted to 480p and no tethering?

Can't get a phone on payment plan, you have to buy it outright. Otherwise it's just what you listed.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, starting immediately, I will be traveling quite a bit for my job. One of the more frequent destinations - Memphis - seems to be a giant black hole of horrible T-Mobile coverage. This, combined with the reintroduction of unlimited Verizon plans, has me wanting to switch over.

I'm looking at bringing my iPhone 7 over, and have a question about the cost: it looks like it'll be $85 before taxes (65 for the plan, 20 for the access fee). I know I get a corporate discount of 22%. What - if anything - does that apply to on the unlimited plans?

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

IuniusBrutus posted:

So, starting immediately, I will be traveling quite a bit for my job. One of the more frequent destinations - Memphis - seems to be a giant black hole of horrible T-Mobile coverage. This, combined with the reintroduction of unlimited Verizon plans, has me wanting to switch over.

I'm looking at bringing my iPhone 7 over, and have a question about the cost: it looks like it'll be $85 before taxes (65 for the plan, 20 for the access fee). I know I get a corporate discount of 22%. What - if anything - does that apply to on the unlimited plans?

My corporate discount applies to all plans but unlimited.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

IuniusBrutus posted:

I know I get a corporate discount of 22%. What - if anything - does that apply to on the unlimited plans?
No discounts on unlimited at the moment.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Is it worth calling VZW to threaten leaving for the T-Mo Unlimited keep your Pixel/iPhone plan, or will they just laugh and not care?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kensei posted:

Is it worth calling VZW to threaten leaving for the T-Mo Unlimited keep your Pixel/iPhone plan, or will they just laugh and not care?

Unknown. A rumor 2 months back was retentions would give you the kitchen sink if you threatened to leave, but mileage will always vary.

End of the day, doesn't hurt to call and ask with polite insistence.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

No discounts on unlimited at the moment.

Unless you join the military or are a veteran, I think.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Unless you join the military or are a veteran, I think.

This is correct.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Well then, I'll have to call them up and see if this is true then. 15% off unlimited would be nice.

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

Casu Marzu posted:

Also postpaid users get first crack at network bandwidth if you are on a congested site. Like how new unlimited plans prioritize tiered / non unlimited users if there is high traffic. If you're not in a high traffic area you won't notice any difference. The biggest issue with prepay is their customer service is:

1.) It can be difficult to get a hold of an actual person. I can't give you any IVR tips off the top of my head but you have to be very specific or jam the IVR with # whenever it asks you anything.

2.) If you actually talk to someone they're probably a little bit more brisk, surly and dispassionate since they have been talking to drug dealers about burner phones all day.

3.) No corporate or employee discounts. (If you're employed by VZW directly or as a contractor there is a new discount plan but it kind of sucks.)

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer
Also! The call center I worked for has now closed so I am not seriously up to date on Verizon Wireless poo poo. If anyone wants to PM me with general questions I will answer them to the best of my ability or refer you someone. If you want to ask questions about UnitedHealthcare health insurance, specifically UMR plans I am now a fount of information should you so need it.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

I called Verizon's retention , just to see what they might offer me. I have four lines - 3 iPhone 7+ and 1 Pixel all on the X-mas promotional pricing - and 10 GB for $80 before my 20% discount. I pay roughly $215 a month on my grandfathered plan. I was offered an upgrade to 16GB for an extra $32 a month ($12 for data and an extra $5 per line on the difference on the access charge) but going to unlimited would cost me roughly another $60 a month overall.

Ugh I just want cheap unlimited on VZW. Dammit.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like Verizon launched an LTE only dumb phone today. The end is nigh for CDMA.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

kensei posted:

Ugh I just want cheap unlimited on VZW. Dammit.
lol

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

I know right

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Looks like Verizon launched an LTE only dumb phone today. The end is nigh for CDMA.

Yup, they also replaced their home phone and their home phone + internet router with LTE versions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Duckman2008 posted:

Can't get a phone on payment plan, you have to buy it outright. Otherwise it's just what you listed.

GUYS STOP posted:

Also postpaid users get first crack at network bandwidth if you are on a congested site. Like how new unlimited plans prioritize tiered / non unlimited users if there is high traffic. If you're not in a high traffic area you won't notice any difference. The biggest issue with prepay is their customer service is:

1.) It can be difficult to get a hold of an actual person. I can't give you any IVR tips off the top of my head but you have to be very specific or jam the IVR with # whenever it asks you anything.

2.) If you actually talk to someone they're probably a little bit more brisk, surly and dispassionate since they have been talking to drug dealers about burner phones all day.

3.) No corporate or employee discounts. (If you're employed by VZW directly or as a contractor there is a new discount plan but it kind of sucks.)

Thanks. Good to know. Verizon has great coverage here but everyone seems to favor US Cellular, so I'm not too concerned about network congestion. Also, I've only had to reach out to customer service once in the 4 years I've been with Verizon so far, so I don't think CS is too much of a con.

My only question is since I just rolled over a new month, is this prorated and I just pay for the days used plus the first month of pre-paid right away or is there a certain time of the billing cycle that's best to switch?

• Locked thread