Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

xamphear posted:

Have you tried a factory reset of the Framemeister?
Or playing around with the sync settings, maybe turning auto sync off? I ran into some weird sync issues with the Framemeister a while back when I switched TVs, but going from auto to manual sync fixed things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Might be worth checking out the Input Information (I forget what the setting is) to see what the Hz and general input stream info is. I found that there was a specific thresholds some of my systems had to be at in order to avoid synch issues (as in the N64 would be something like 59.82 Hz while the NES/SNES would be over 60 Hz, and the former would have issues unless I forced it to 60 Hz).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Dude's Amazon seller rating is less than stellar, but it's slightly better than dealing with Chinese import shops.

It was the only other one I could find since the first one I found didn't look quite right to me.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm disappointed they defanged Bubsy.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

I'm disappointed they defanged Bubsy.

How many teeth do you expect a 25 year old cat to have?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Retro Gaming Megathread: An In Depth Discussion of Bubsy's Dick

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

Retro Gaming Megathread: An In Depth Discussion of Bubsy's Dick

You can go to the fanart thread if you want Sonic's.

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Nate RFB posted:

Might be worth checking out the Input Information (I forget what the setting is) to see what the Hz and general input stream info is. I found that there was a specific thresholds some of my systems had to be at in order to avoid synch issues (as in the N64 would be something like 59.82 Hz while the NES/SNES would be over 60 Hz, and the former would have issues unless I forced it to 60 Hz).

Thanks, I had a play with the sync settings. Add this is D input, it did not give me the option to modify sync level. I did try modifying the timings, polarities and autosync in various combinations with no change. It looks like the PAL PS2 is outputting at 49.99 Hz.

I am going to look at getting a new D-component adapter. I noticed the sheath covering where the cables split off had pulled forward. The cables under it looked ok, but you never know.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I'm thinking about picking up a Genesis this weekend, but I didn't have one as a kid. Briefly owned a Genesis 3, but I hear that one is bad. I want to get the really wide model with the switches and stuff right? That's the good one? Or is the 2nd model fine too?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kelp Plankton posted:

I'm thinking about picking up a Genesis this weekend, but I didn't have one as a kid. Briefly owned a Genesis 3, but I hear that one is bad. I want to get the really wide model with the switches and stuff right? That's the good one? Or is the 2nd model fine too?

Long answer:

Read this thread.
Compare the audio, see if you notice any glaring differences between the different console versions.

Short answer:

A second model console would probably be fine if you want to go cheap and are just starting out, but I'd say you really wouldn't go wrong in seeking out a "High Definition Graphics" first model console.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

The Model 1 (ideally with the "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" text on the circular rim of the cartridge slot) is generally considered the best one. You'll have to source stereo from the headphone port in the front, but otherwise it's ideal. You might even get a model without the TMSS startup screen (ie: the three-second "PRODUCED BY OR UNDER LICENSE FROM SEGA ENTERPRISES LTD." one)!

Most Model 2s have inferior sound circuitry that's a bit fuzzy-sounding. That said, there's a couple of caveats to this: First, a lot of later Model 1s also have this inferior sound hardware - they all lack the "HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS" text, though at the same time, lacking said text also isn't a surefire guarantee that you're getting the inferior sound circuitry. Second, some Model 2s actually have half-decent sound circuitry; if you look at the console from beneath, you'll notice that the metal RF plate doesn't cover up all of the air vents down there. That's the "3/4 motherboard" variant with the okay sound.

Model 3s only support monoaural, don't support any add-ons (so no Power Base Converter, Sega CD or 32X for you), don't support all games 100% (Virtua Racing, notably, won't work) and doesn't even support RGB when all other revisions do.

If you get really lucky or just feel like :retrogames:, there's also things like the JVC X-Eye and Sega CDX, which fuse a Genesis and Sega CD into one unit. I recall the latter has sound hardware about on par with the 3/4 mobo Model 2s, but I forget about the X-Eye.

Shadow Hog fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 9, 2017

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

for the love of all that is holy, just don't buy one of those atgames pieces of poo poo

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Okay here's a fun question: is Bubsy 1 better on SNES or Genesis? I did a playthrough of the first 7 chapters on my Facebook Live stream last night, and I ran it from my SNES but briefly considered running it on the Genesis.

Like, I know it's pretty lovely regardless of port, but which port handled it better?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well obviously Super Bubsy for Windows 95

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Just buy an HDG Model 1, it's classic and a workhorse and from a point in time when Sega still gave a poo poo. Oh sure, there are people who will say the Model 2 is also good and its black design symmetry is aesthetically pleasing, but those people are the sorts of douchebags who drive 1996 Nissan pickups with "No Fear" stickers on the back windows of the cab.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I was legit surprised at how big a difference my "HD" model 1 sounded compared to the model 2 I had back when I was a kid.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Okay here's a fun question: is Bubsy 1 better on SNES or Genesis? I did a playthrough of the first 7 chapters on my Facebook Live stream last night, and I ran it from my SNES but briefly considered running it on the Genesis.

Like, I know it's pretty lovely regardless of port, but which port handled it better?

I'm going to default to Genesis because the platform was designed for fast paced 2d games but eh they're probably 100% identical.

I need to check out the Japanese version, it has a Japanese dub. I want to know what puns they use although they probably replaced all "claws" puns with "nyan" puns.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

I'm going to default to Genesis because the platform was designed for fast paced 2d games

drat people are still hanging on to this old pitch 20 years later?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Genesis has a faster processor (worse everything else). I can't recall any Genesis games with extreme slowdown while SNES can barely run loving Gradius when terrain pops up on screen. So when comparing the same game across both platforms, I'm probably going to lean Genesis unless it's seriously gimped (as the case with Zombies Ate My Neighbors).

edit: Actually Genesis ZAMN might be the better one because the graphics are slightly simpler with more clarity, and the radar doesn't blend into the background, but the soundtrack is too good to lose.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 9, 2017

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Oh sure, there are people who will say the Model 2 is also good and its black design symmetry is aesthetically pleasing, but those people are the sorts of douchebags who drive 1996 Nissan pickups with "No Fear" stickers on the back windows of the cab.

Having grown up in a semi-rural area of the US South, I chuckled at this because it's 100% true.

From the Sega 16 post, I think I would be happiest with a HDG VA6 - no rainbow banding, and more bass on the audio. I'd be ok with TMSS, unless that means flashcarts don't work on it?

gently caress ALL OF YOU for making me think about procuring one, a flash cart, a PVM and custom cables... I thought I was done with all this stuff years ago :(

Mak0rz posted:

This is also 100% true. MD is fast and ideal for action games, SNES is sloooooow but has much better graphic/color detail and is ideal for RPGs. That one YT channel that does in-depth hardware stuff confirmed this a while back.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 9, 2017

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I'm going to default to Genesis because the platform was designed for fast paced 2d games but eh they're probably 100% identical.

The Genesis version looks worse given the well known limitations of the platform and they did the standard multiplatform release thing of just chopping down the palette and the sprites.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Just buy an HDG Model 1, it's classic and a workhorse and from a point in time when Sega still gave a poo poo. Oh sure, there are people who will say the Model 2 is also good and its black design symmetry is aesthetically pleasing, but those people are the sorts of douchebags who drive 1996 Nissan pickups with "No Fear" stickers on the back windows of the cab.

The Model 1 Genesis looks like someone's little brother pried off the reset button.

Topolino
Aug 6, 2004
Maniaco omicida.

Shadow Hog posted:

Model 3s only support monoaural, don't support any add-ons (so no Power Base Converter, Sega CD or 32X for you), don't support all games 100% (Virtua Racing, notably, won't work) and doesn't even support RGB when all other revisions do.

I can confirm that Genesis 3 consoles do output RGB without any modifications. Bootleg Genesis 3 consoles may need it, tough.

Although mono audio only, it still sounds way better than the model 2 with long metal plate . Allegedly it's video encoder for composite is better than most Genesis consoles.

I wish I could do the mod to also run Master System games. I really like the model 3. If it had stereo it would be perfect.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

The Genesis version looks worse given the well known limitations of the platform and they did the standard multiplatform release thing of just chopping down the palette and the sprites.

I would argue it has the side effect of being better because the muted palette means the hazards stand out more.

Not that Bubsy is a pretty game by any means, the SNES version just has more shades of pea green to assault your eyes and everything feels squashed, I don't know how to explain it.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Recently discovered the genesis 3 cartridge slot also fits mega drive games so that's nice. Now I need to get one or dremmel a 1 or 2 a bit.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

https://youtu.be/yGzgKCsrNHM

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

falz posted:

Recently discovered the genesis 3 cartridge slot also fits mega drive games so that's nice. Now I need to get one or dremmel a 1 or 2 a bit.

Just get a Game Genie. It's the easy solution.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Ofecks posted:

From the Sega 16 post, I think I would be happiest with a HDG VA6 - no rainbow banding, and more bass on the audio. I'd be ok with TMSS, unless that means flashcarts don't work on it?

That's the model I have and it's probably actually the best model 1 version to try and find. TMSS is litearlly nothing that anyone should actually care about, and the small amount of systems without TMSS actually end up having more compatibility issues with modern releases and flashcarts.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

al-azad posted:

Genesis has a faster processor (worse everything else). I can't recall any Genesis games with extreme slowdown while SNES can barely run loving Gradius when terrain pops up on screen. So when comparing the same game across both platforms, I'm probably going to lean Genesis unless it's seriously gimped (as the case with Zombies Ate My Neighbors).

edit: Actually Genesis ZAMN might be the better one because the graphics are slightly simpler with more clarity, and the radar doesn't blend into the background, but the soundtrack is too good to lose.

Ofecks posted:

This is also 100% true. MD is fast and ideal for action games, SNES is sloooooow but has much better graphic/color detail and is ideal for RPGs. That one YT channel that does in-depth hardware stuff confirmed this a while back.

I learned a thing today.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Can one overclock the SNES? I really want to play super ghouls and ghosts but it's slowdown is so bad.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Mak0rz posted:

I can't speak to Bubsy because I don't loving know, it's Bubsy, but it was very common for multi-plat games that were developed primarily for one console to suck on the other, irrespective of any console wars bullshit - there's the processor difference, which not only affected game speed/slowdown but also things like real-time compression/decompression of level/graphic data, the colour differences, resolution differences, completely different audio hardware, etc.

Western-made Genesis platformers tended to suffer most when ported to the SNES - a lot of them would just crop the screen for SNES without redesigning anything and they were worse off for it. I can imagine a Sonic-esque game like Bubsy being worse on SNES for that simple reason.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

They've done it, guys.

They will also have an Atari equivalent, with Activision games now.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

falz posted:

Can one overclock the SNES? I really want to play super ghouls and ghosts but it's slowdown is so bad.

Here's an archive of what little can be done and why: http://web.archive.org/web/20060511035731/http://www.99-gtp.com/ucm/snesoc.htm

FX-chip games overclock just by replacing the crystal though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

univbee posted:

They've done it, guys.

Well, props for six button pads and advertising Phantasy Star IV on the box like that. I guess.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Yeah that's a good game line up. Also it plays carts and has HDMI out.

https://www.newswire.com/news/atgames-announces-fall-2017-sega-genesis-classic-gaming-hardware-lineup-19606193

I'm sure it'll still suck somehow.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I can't speak to Bubsy because I don't loving know, it's Bubsy, but it was very common for multi-plat games that were developed primarily for one console to suck on the other, irrespective of any console wars bullshit - there's the processor difference, which not only affected game speed/slowdown but also things like real-time compression/decompression of level/graphic data, the colour differences, resolution differences, completely different audio hardware, etc.

Western-made Genesis platformers tended to suffer most when ported to the SNES - a lot of them would just crop the screen for SNES without redesigning anything and they were worse off for it. I can imagine a Sonic-esque game like Bubsy being worse on SNES for that simple reason.

Yeah well some ports turn out good on both systems, like Aero the Acro-Bat and, uh...

Aero the Acro-Bat 2?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The new HD Flashback consoles use new processors and emulators, they're not just repackaging the old crappy system (which they're still selling, by the way). I'd really like for them to be good but I'm not optimistic.

They're also doing handheld versions: 2.8' screen, AV out, rechargeable battery, SD slot for adding more games. No idea if it uses the internals from the new HD system or the old Firecore junk.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Well I'm at least positive I won't have to wake up at 4AM to preorder because Sega actually gives a poo poo about their old games...

Mak0rz posted:

Yeah well some ports turn out good on both systems, like Aero the Acro-Bat and, uh...

Aero the Acro-Bat 2?

I will vouch for high intensity multiplat games like Uncharted Waters and *insert Koei game here*

al-azad fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jun 10, 2017

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I fully expect the sound to still be iffy, but hey if it's HDMI and half decent that'd good enough for most people

al-azad posted:

Well I'm at least positive I won't have to wake up at 4AM to preorder because Sega actually gives a poo poo about their old games...

Well, it's less that Sega cares, it's more that no one cares about Sega's back catalog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

univbee posted:

They've done it, guys.

That lineup looks pretty solid. I know I'd get into that Columns action.

However, you'd need actual carts to plug in I assume?

• Locked thread