Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/dog_rates/status/872820683541237760

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

JuniperCake posted:

You are really underestimating the stubbornness of his base. A lot of these people are relatively "normal", they just refuse to see. Like if you say things like, Healthcare shouldn't be for profit, people/minorities should be respected, gay and trans people should be allowed to be themselves, they'll say yes they agree. You talk anything specific that's negative about any republican? They'll resist resist resist. Jeff Sessions? No he's just trying to fix the problem with all the violent criminals being let loose under Obama. He's not trying to go after minorities or put people in jail for life for non-violent drug crimes. etc etc etc. It's... a really bizarre thing.

I think huge part of the fault is how talk radio and fox news has done a lot to poison these people's view of the media, and they want to trust the Republicans so much that they've just become blind. Over 30% of the population still supports him, those aren't all SovCit or Evangelical folks. I'd certainly hope not anyways. There is some major cognitive dissonance thing going on too. I don't know how else to explain it.

I wonder, if Fox news were to turn on Trump, just how long would it take for his approval to reach single digits?

It sort of already is turning on him albeit very, VERY slowly. They have had people outright angry with him due mostly to loving up implementation of policies, but also his treatment of various journalists. Some of his big supporters have been dropped from the network, though that is more related to the fact they are molesters, but their replacements are not as supportive or at least not as influential. Most of the network will still back any republican president no matter what but a large number are not pleased and letting people know it, even if they try and say it in the nicest way possible.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Older millenials like me who graduated before the recession definitely have it better than those that graduated after. I got my MS in 2006 and was just on the cusp of not getting a really good fixed rate on my student loans. And of course there was an actual job market. I bought a home at 29 without direct help but my parents paid for my undergraduate education.

I would have graduated in '06 but took some time off to pursue a personal goal. Ended up graduating in the spring of '08. I couldn't do much better than a McJob until I got lucky in 2012. Things have been great since, but holy poo poo graduating at the worst time to do so in ~100 years was not cool.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
I'm honestly curious, did the Emoluments clause have a shorter judicial record than the 3rd amendment?

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I wonder if this is a pre-emptive attempt to head off something that's about to come out - like, Trump already did this, and they're testing the waters for when it inevitably leaks?

ok actually reading it, appears to be a response to a lawsuit nm

my bony fealty fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jun 10, 2017

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Your Taint posted:

It was the most watched Congressional testimony ever PERIOD.

I watched on Twitch, did they factor those numbers too? :v:

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Snuffman posted:

Twitch streams congressional hearings now?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Skex posted:

Have you never had an actual job?

That's essentially how the majority of businesses operate. It's that W4 withholding thing were you declare your number of deductions which is used to calculate how much they hold out of your taxes to give to the government.
It's one of the lines on your paystub.

I'm aware of that. But the withholding is basically never accurate, and you still have to file taxes as an individual every year regardless of it. You know that, right? I hope you do.

What I'm saying is this: make income tax completely transparent to the individual to the point where they never have to deal with the IRS unless they have some sort of special circumstance.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

farraday posted:

I'm honestly curious, did the Emoluments clause have a shorter judicial record than the 3rd amendment?

There are more cases citing the third than you might think, especially since the 3rd is one of the amendments cited in support of the right to privacy.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

I'm aware of that. But the withholding is basically never accurate, and you still have to file taxes as an individual every year regardless of it. You know that, right? I hope you do.

What I'm saying is this: make income tax completely transparent to the individual to the point where they never have to deal with the IRS unless they have some sort of special circumstance.

It would save everyone tons of effort if the IRS just did everyone's taxes for them, but accountants fight it, it's easy to make people suspicious that the IRS would gently caress them, rich people would obviously hate it because it would make tax evasion more difficult, and Republicans like having everyone angry about their taxes, so oh well.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm late-gen-X and holy poo poo did I slide in under the wire.

Tell me about it. I consolidated my federal loans at 3% and it dropped to 2% after 36 payments. People who got their MDs a year or two later are at at least twice that.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Tell me about it. I consolidated my federal loans at 3% and it dropped to 2% after 36 payments. People who got their MDs a year or two later are at at least twice that.

Student loans had interest rates that low? :smith:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I just saw parts of the Rose Garden thing and I swear to God I expect that any day now Trump is going to start calling Comey "Leaking Jim". I was half way surprised he didn't do it today.

I hate this smug, arrogant, ignorant, narcissistic horrible turd of a President. I get depressed every time I'm reminded that this is where we're at; and I was troubled enough during the Bush years.

Honestly, what do Republicans hang their hats on when it comes to being the leader of the free world?

We had Bush 1, which sucked. GWB which sucked worse and now this astonishing embarrassment who fucks up so bad and so often that we forget the hosed up thing he did or said only a week ago. I can't even look at him and take him seriously. It's like the hologram TV president from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns only worse.

Going back even further, in my lifetime amongst Republican Presidents, we've had Nixon, Reagan and the others I mentioned. That is some horrible track record of leadership and good decision making. I'll take Carter, Clinton and Obama (the Democratic Presidents of my lifetime) over anything I've seen Republicans do. I don't even think it's open for debate.

This administration is seriously affecting my mood and my overall sense of optimism, which wasn't all that great to start with. It's a reality TV show and Idoicracy brought to life and I find myself in a stunned state of perpetual astonishment. Hunter S. Thompson saw the writing on the wall when Kerry lost and made his exit. Towards the end of his life, referring to GWB, he wrote "exactly how low do you have to sink to become President of this country?" I don't think even he would have expected something like this.

Regardless of what happens to and with Trump, the bar is lowered forever and the damage is permanent. How anyone could listen to Comey's testimony yesterday and spin it into an exculpatory vindicative victory is the sort of logic I'll never ever grasp.

This poo poo is straight up depressing. No joke.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm late-gen-X and holy poo poo did I slide in under the wire.

I graduated in 07 and may be the last one at my giant company who got in on the pension. 08 was real "hoo boy that looks like it sucks"

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

His law firm pretty much stated that they would make this argument when this suit was first brought in January. To me, the most disturbing component is that DOJ is arguing this position. This seems very...partial to POTUS.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Ventana posted:

Twitch streams congressional hearings now?

Apparently?? :shrug:

The app let me lower the video quality nice and low so I didn't burn through all my data plan and watch history be made.

EDIT:

WAIT, did they just get rid of the Annulment Clause??? :psyduck:

What the hell was the logic behind that?

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 10, 2017

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Snuffman posted:

I believe 19 million viewers (live streams & TV) was calculated as the number of viewers.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shitshow posted:

His law firm pretty much stated that they would make this argument when this suit was first brought in January. To me, the most disturbing component is that DOJ is arguing this position. This seems very...partial to POTUS.

The elf that runs the DOJ needs to earn some brownie points I think.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

BiggerBoat posted:

I just saw parts of the Rose Garden thing and I swear to God I expect that any day now Trump is going to start calling Comey "Leaking Jim". I was half way surprised he didn't do it today.

I hate this smug, arrogant, ignorant, narcissistic horrible turd of a President. I get depressed every time I'm reminded that this is where we're at; and I was troubled enough during the Bush years.

Honestly, what do Republicans hang their hats on when it comes to being the leader of the free world?

We had Bush 1, which sucked. GWB which sucked worse and now this astonishing embarrassment who fucks up so bad and so often that we forget the hosed up thing he did or said only a week ago. I can't even look at him and take him seriously. It's like the hologram TV president from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns only worse.

Going back even further, in my lifetime amongst Republican Presidents, we've had Nixon, Reagan and the others I mentioned. That is some horrible track record of leadership and good decision making. I'll take Carter, Clinton and Obama (the Democratic Presidents of my lifetime) over anything I've seen Republicans do. I don't even think it's open for debate.

This administration is seriously affecting my mood and my overall sense of optimism, which wasn't all that great to start with. It's a reality TV show and Idoicracy brought to life and I find myself in a stunned state of perpetual astonishment. Hunter S. Thompson saw the writing on the wall when Kerry lost and made his exit. Towards the end of his life, referring to GWB, he wrote "exactly how low do you have to sink to become President of this country?" I don't think even he would have expected something like this.

Regardless of what happens to and with Trump, the bar is lowered forever and the damage is permanent. How anyone could listen to Comey's testimony yesterday and spin it into an exculpatory vindicative victory is the sort of logic I'll never ever grasp.

This poo poo is straight up depressing. No joke.

The pendulum will swing back the other direction. The U.S. swung so hard right that it helped other countries go left. I'm feeling better and better about 2018 and 2020 as each day passes. It takes people a long time to process such huge amounts of bullshit.

Also, trump is one economic recession away from disaster. One is currently predicted for 2019, but given how ready trump is to alienate trade partners, how much he hates the Obama appointed fed, and how much he THINKS he can guide the market (spoiler alert: he loving can't) it's likely to land ahead of schedule.

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 10, 2017

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

It really is amazing how long the US has gone on for with things being based on non-written rules and expectations for its government. One idiot con man and a party dedicated to keeping him in power is really showing how much was based on in-good faith actors in our governing bodies. If we survive this insanity maybe we'll start codifying all that with actual laws

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

The elf that runs the DOJ needs to earn some brownie points I think.

That evil garden gnome might end up being the most harmful person Trump appointed.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Student loans had interest rates that low? :smith:

There was also a time when you could go to college by working minimum wage over the summer.

Granted that was also a time when you didn't need to have a degree to forge a career. Not even a high school one!

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Furnaceface posted:

That evil garden gnome might end up being the most harmful person Trump appointed.

Well, he did appoint a thoroughly evil Oklahoman who also has it in for woodland creatures. Sessions and Spicer better be careful.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
This is AmericanPolitics.txt, but also legitimately horrifying because of the policy and human implications.

quote:

Senate Republicans are supposed to get their first look at some detailed options for a health care bill today, as Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell pushes for a vote before the July 4 recess.

"It's like a root canal," one Senate GOP aide told Caitlin Owens. "Best to get it over with and move on to things Republicans are good at."

A top Senate aide addressed the feeling of the committee members. "We know it's not great and the results won't be ideal, but it will be better than the situation before Obamacare and we've already committed to it. It's just something we have to finish and check off the list. People will get used to it."

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

It's a reality TV show and Idoicracy brought to life and I find myself in a stunned state of perpetual astonishment.

Pretty sure The Rock is our only hope if we are in the Idiocracy timeline. Dems need their own salesman.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

A Republican congressman decided to openly muse that maybe Trump had something to do with the ISIS attack in Iran this week (he didn't), and said he thinks that's loving awesome.

https://twitter.com/nadabakos/status/873335043984248832

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ABCPolitics/status/873338286814744576
https://twitter.com/ericgeller/status/873342510537596928
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/873341894109147137
https://twitter.com/APCentralRegion/status/873313984757321736
https://twitter.com/Nightline/status/873329721014091776
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/873334877004943360

jfc CNN, why do you still employ this goober:
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/873341990259138560

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 10, 2017

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

He's be immensely better than Tillerson. Hillary was right.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Sinteres posted:

A Republican congressman decided to openly muse that maybe Trump had something to do with the ISIS attack in Iran this week (he didn't), and said he thinks that's loving awesome.

uh

:wat"

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Snuffman posted:

Twitch plays banana republic.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

This is AmericanPolitics.txt, but also legitimately horrifying because of the policy and human implications.

I like how they can so casually push aside the deaths of millions like some kind of distraction because they feel tax cuts are more important.

The joy of having more money than common sense, decency, or human emotion.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Given the choices, was she wrong?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Even aside from Romney being better at actually doing the job, he'd also be more likely to resign and make Trump look bad if he felt Trump wasn't acting in the best interest of the country. Normalizing Trump would have been good for everyone, but Trump didn't want to be normalized, so he knew he couldn't bring someone like Romney into the fold.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches
Bear in mind it's also what you'd say to Romney if you just really didn't like Romney.

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

Sinteres posted:

The people of Orange County are the worst as they continue to vote this Russian and Islamic State apologist into Congress.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It really is amazing how long the US has gone on for with things being based on non-written rules and expectations for its government. One idiot con man and a party dedicated to keeping him in power is really showing how much was based on in-good faith actors in our governing bodies. If we survive this insanity maybe we'll start codifying all that with actual laws

spoken like someone who doesn't realize his past votes put the guy in the oval office...

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Aaaaahh I'm jealous! I graduated a year ago and I pay $1300 a month in student loans. I'll be ready to start a family by 2026!!

What are the fixed rates like right now? I'm pretty sure mine was under 3%

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 10, 2017

Serfer
Mar 10, 2003

The piss tape is real

gregday
May 23, 2003

[quote="“Sinteres”" post="“473233578”"]
A Republican congressman decided to openly muse that maybe Trump had something to do with the ISIS attack in Iran this week (he didn’t), and said he thinks that’s loving awesome.

[/quote]

Isn’t Rohrabacher the other person McCarthy “joked” was being paid by Putin, along with Trump in that recording that Ryan then swore them all to secrecy over?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylen
Aug 1, 2003

You just killed the nice deranged chick from the juice bar that I was gonna score with someday maybe!
Pillbug

gregday posted:

Isn’t Rohrabacher the other person McCarthy “joked” was being paid by Putin, along with Trump in that recording that Ryan then swore them all to secrecy over?

Yes, he's in the top 10 list of biggest pieces of poo poo in Congress

• Locked thread