Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how just about every reaction is just "why would you ever do this".

"Why would you let the snake aliens bang"
"Why would you let the snake man be psychic"
"Why would you make an even bigger berserker"
"Why would you make better armor for archons"

Yeah its great because his reaction is pretty much the one the player has anytime a ruler does...well, anything.

Foglet posted:

DIDN'T YOU FUCKIN' EVER ENCOUNTER A SINGLE FACELESS

That's humane artifical goo skin. Perfectly acceptable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I finished my Ironman Commander game a few weeks back and captured this highlight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhfAZvLSBPs.

Be careful what you do with your rangers folks. I managed to get my way out of this with just 3 or 4 of wounded soldiers thanks to Decoy Beacons, Stasis and some luck.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Leyburn posted:

I finished my Ironman Commander game a few weeks back and captured this highlight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhfAZvLSBPs.

Be careful what you do with your rangers folks. I managed to get my way out of this with just 3 or 4 of wounded soldiers thanks to Decoy Beacons, Stasis and some luck.

Never assume cliff LOS won't gently caress you over.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Once it gets to late game I'm pretty cavalier about running up to cliffs, because generally even if there is a pod you can usually one-round it even if the rest of your troops are in a bad position. And even if you see two pods, you can throw out enough CC to not actually get into any trouble.

But if I already see one pod with that much hp, yeah it's time to be a little more cautious, because three pods at once can be a problem.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
It ended up working out fine anyway, I didn't lose anyone. I think I mind controlled an archon which helped save my rear end, I can't really remember how it went down. Psi Ops are loving amazing.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I like how long war forces you to use multiple squads and squad sizes based on mission types but infiltration and havens are a hassle.

Fukken overly spergy lw devs.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bakalakadaka posted:

I like how long war forces you to use multiple squads and squad sizes based on mission types but infiltration and havens are a hassle.

Fukken overly spergy lw devs.

Theres so many good gameplay mechanics in there under a layer of absolute poo poo. Narratively, the haven management allows interesting missions like retaliations and data taps with the resistence fighting alongside xcom, but my god is it tedious.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

TK-42-1 posted:

Theres so many good gameplay mechanics in there under a layer of absolute poo poo. Narratively, the haven management allows interesting missions like retaliations and data taps with the resistence fighting alongside xcom, but my god is it tedious.

I quite like it, myself. It adds a strategic element that was really lacking in vanilla XCom2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Bremen posted:

I quite like it, myself. It adds a strategic element that was really lacking in vanilla XCom2.

The problem is the late game drowns you in a bunch of repetitive missions that don't have any sort of decent reward and it just stops the geoscape every other second.

The worst is the 'find the faceless' missions which just become a good half of the missions you run in the late game and are beyond tedious because you get exactly one soldier with any kind of perks and a random mishmash of generic rebels with no items, armor and random weapons against a bunch of low tier Advent and Faceless.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

The retaliation missions where you just overwatch camp reinforcements for 5 turns are fun though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
LW2 has lots of awesome-sounding ideas, but I can't help thinking of Jake's retrospective on designing Enemy Unknown where their first designs had lots of really cool-sounding ideas, but were ultimately scrapped because they weren't actually fun to play. It seems like the LW2 devs didn't have enough time to scrap and totally re-do anything, so in addition to the cool-sounding stuff that plays well, they have some things that sound really cool when you explain them but are actually not that great in practice.

Infiltration, for example. Sounds fantastic. Makes you build a big roster, lets you choose how many people to bring on missions in a meaningful way, so many awesome things when you describe it. But once you actually play with it:
- it biases things way too much towards using small squads - if you take six people instead of two, you're not committing three times as many soldiers, you're actually committing more like nine times (3x the soldiers for 3x as long). hence the stupid solo-stealth-mission metagame that they had to eventually paper over by making missions harder to stealth.
- if you spend a bunch of time looking at a mission, gearing up a squad, planning how you're going to play it out, it really loving sucks if the next thing you do is anything other than actually playing that mission. infiltration means you have so much stuff in between, that by the time you actually get around to playing that mission you've completely lost context.

So yeah. Infiltration is the sort of mechanic that you design, and then scrap because it turns out it sucks in ways that aren't obvious until you actually play with it. Better to just have fatigue to encourage a deep roster, and use some other mechanism to allow scaling missions based on the number of soldiers.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Jabor posted:

LW2 has lots of awesome-sounding ideas, but I can't help thinking of Jake's retrospective on designing Enemy Unknown where their first designs had lots of really cool-sounding ideas, but were ultimately scrapped because they weren't actually fun to play. It seems like the LW2 devs didn't have enough time to scrap and totally re-do anything, so in addition to the cool-sounding stuff that plays well, they have some things that sound really cool when you explain them but are actually not that great in practice.

Infiltration, for example. Sounds fantastic. Makes you build a big roster, lets you choose how many people to bring on missions in a meaningful way, so many awesome things when you describe it. But once you actually play with it:
- it biases things way too much towards using small squads - if you take six people instead of two, you're not committing three times as many soldiers, you're actually committing more like nine times (3x the soldiers for 3x as long). hence the stupid solo-stealth-mission metagame that they had to eventually paper over by making missions harder to stealth.

Actually the main change they made to limit stealth is making small squads take nearly as long to infiltrate as large ones.

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
gently caress this Xpack possibility has me actually considering the ~90 minute drive to use my industry E3 pass for the first time in years. gently caress! I want more snake tits.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

fargom posted:

gently caress! I want more snake tits.

:yeah:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Viper King hoarded all the snake tits for himself.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Internet Kraken posted:

The Viper King hoarded all the snake tits for himself.

Weren't those newly hatched sneks, like, his daughters?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I won't lie. If I could get the LW2 tech tree and classes in A Better ADVENT's enemies with a Vanilla Geoscape, maybe another smaller geoscape mod with additional mission types or something, I would be 100% satisfied.

The Perk Pack is cool, but it's a pale shadow compared to what the real LW2 classes have.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Pomp posted:

XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM XCOM

Internet Kraken posted:

*beheads sectoid while screaming incoherently*

holy poo poo when did this thread get so good

this is loving priceless

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Pavonis update the perk pack

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

You say that like Xcom wouldn't melt down all the aliens given the chance. At least Advent never deployed soldiers wearing human skin suits to make you panic.

i kinda feel like this is a cultural difference. if they deployed mutons wearing the flayed skins of major political leaders, humans would probably just laugh their asses off because it's not like they liked those fucknuts anyway

of course when you show up wearing the skin of the only snake dick, well, snake tits are like "DAAAAMN BOOOYYY"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how just about every reaction is just "why would you ever do this".

"Why would you let the snake aliens bang"
"Why would you let the snake man be psychic"
"Why would you make an even bigger berserker"
"Why would you make better armor for archons"

*vahlen does a flying kick through the bulkhead, carrying a large beaker which is frothing over*

BECAUSE SCIENCE, BITCH

*hurricane kicks so hard she helicopters away*

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Bakalakadaka posted:

Pavonis update the perk pack

The only updates they've *ever* done to the Perk Pack have been bug fixes or changing perks and stuff that were straight-up not working as intended. I don't see it getting any meaningful updates, especially not to the level the classes exist at in the full LW2.

Which sucks.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

:agreed:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

rapidly starting to regret my decision to turn LW pissing contests into chess matches. should've turned it into a meme-off, with the cat posting the funniest picture/story being the winner

i suppose it's worked at this point

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The elders have tampered with the genetic code of every species they've encountered for their own gain, often with horrific results. They're also well into their plan to genocide the entire planet, again for their own gain.

But goons are still like "Well maybe we're the real monsters here" anyways.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
XCOM 2 xpac: The Search For Vahlen

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BlazetheInferno posted:

I won't lie. If I could get the LW2 tech tree and classes in A Better ADVENT's enemies with a Vanilla Geoscape, maybe another smaller geoscape mod with additional mission types or something, I would be 100% satisfied.

The Perk Pack is cool, but it's a pale shadow compared to what the real LW2 classes have.
Yeah, agreed wholly. Give me ABA2's enemy variety and LW2's classes/perks (and its proving ground functionality), and I'd be doing pretty good.
I will once again recommend Scanning Plus as a strategy layer thing. It adds way more scanning opportunities and not enough time to get all of them, so you have to pick and choose which ones to take. Completing a scan also has a chance to configurable spawn a mission (I used 80%) and the reward of that mission is whatever you scanned for. The result is more missions per campaign, a slightly tweaked XP growth to compensate, and opportunities to grow a B-Team Squad, since the scanning point missions are automatically 1 threat level lower than normal missions at that point in the game.
It's good stuff. Manages to extend the lifetime of a single game and give more strategic options, like LW2, albeit in a much, much simpler approach.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

counterfeitsaint posted:

The elders have tampered with the genetic code of every species they've encountered for their own gain, often with horrific results. They're also well into their plan to genocide the entire planet, again for their own gain.

But goons are still like "Well maybe we're the real monsters here" anyways.

We're all monsters and I revel in it. Give me more alien rulers to turn into skin suits that give me cool powers.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Internet Kraken posted:

We're all monsters and I revel in it. Give me more alien rulers to turn into skin suits that give me cool powers.

Wish granted. Here's your Lobsterman King.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Cythereal posted:

He only spawns during cruise ship terror missions and never actually moves until you find him hiding in a closet on the 2nd floor

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

Bolow posted:

He only spawns during cruise ship terror missions and never actually moves until you find him hiding in a closet on the 2nd floor

:gonk: No. Nooooo.

E: Actually I'd be totally in for lobsterpeople.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Bolow posted:

*small eye twitch starts to form*

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Cythereal posted:

How would it be any different from regular Crysallids, aside from being a stupid tough, mobile killing machine?

Annointed fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 10, 2017

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets
I'm curious if we will see a Terror from the Deep from Firaxis (despite the XCOM2 ending teaser) given that 1) Jake Solomon has spoken against the idea in the past, and 2) Julian Gollop's Phoenix Point just got funded (even if the "undersea missions" stretch goal hasn't been achieved yet :( )

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Annointed posted:

How would it be any different from regular Crysallids, aside from being a stupid tough, mobile killing machine?

Being slow, but really really tough and much stronger in melee and additionally with ranged attacks - Lobstermen were Terror's muton replacements, not the Chryssalids. Terror's Chryssalids were the Tentaculats, which could fly.

If anything, I'd call a Lobsterman more equivalent to an Andromedan from 2.

Alehkhs posted:

I'm curious if we will see a Terror from the Deep from Firaxis (despite the XCOM2 ending teaser) given that 1) Jake Solomon has spoken against the idea in the past, and 2) Julian Gollop's Phoenix Point just got funded (even if the "undersea missions" stretch goal hasn't been achieved yet :( )

It's a shame because underwater settings are loving awesome when not saddled with horrific swimming mechanics, and great for invoking an alien feel to the world.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Cythereal posted:

It's a shame because underwater settings are loving awesome when not saddled with horrific swimming mechanics, and great for invoking an alien feel to the world.

Agreed.

You hear that, Strategy First? Give us Submarine Titans on Steam! :argh:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alehkhs posted:

Agreed.

You hear that, Strategy First? Give us Submarine Titans on Steam! :argh:

...Not saddled with horrific RTS mechanics, either. :v:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

If it is, then it has no where to go but up because Terror From the Deep sucked rear end :colbert:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Cythereal posted:

...Not saddled with horrific RTS mechanics, either. :v:

Rude. Submarine Titans remains a fun game to this day. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm still disappointed that with all the alien and human DNA mixing, FIraxis didn't use it as a chance to bring back the really weird design of the UFO Defense chrysalids. I want to see that vacant, creepy grin in glorious modern graphics.