Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Finally, definitive proof that Macross 7 was in fact a Castlevania spinoff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I think when people talk about castlevania being anime, they mean the art style, and in turn that Kojima's art was loving rad and the art in DoS and PoR was terrible

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Looper posted:

I think when people talk about castlevania being anime, they mean the art style, and in turn that Kojima's art was loving rad and the art in DoS and PoR was terrible

I'm unsure who the artist for OoE was, but even that game's art was really great

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

MarsDragon posted:

It's like all of you never actually played a Castlevania game.

Edit: CASTLEVANIA WAS NEVER ANIME

This Maria is the best Maria.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Magical Girl Maria-chan

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Sea Sponge Run posted:

I'm unsure who the artist for OoE was, but even that game's art was really great

That was Masaki Hirooka - he was an up-and-comer back then but he's done art for a lot of big games since, mostly Nintendo stuff (Xenoblade, Kid Icarus, SMTxFE).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hirooka didn't do the art for smtxfe, the artist for smtxfe was toi8.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Endorph posted:

hirooka didn't do the art for smtxfe, the artist for smtxfe was toi8.

He was a contributor, he didn't do all of it. He helped design the mirages.

I think he's doing the new art for the Radiant Historia 3DS port but that's just from looking at it, I could be mistaken.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Takoluka posted:

This Maria is the best Maria.

Well at least she's not the one from the fighting game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Blackheart posted:

Well at least she's not the one from the fighting game.

Judgment Maria could have been at least okay if they had focused on her real story instead of over-anime-ing her by making her obsessed with getting boobs. Like, Rondo Maria was like "Dracula is a big meanie, and I will straight up kill him because it's my job, and I'm good at it."

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Looper posted:

Kojima's art style is still quite anime. DoS/PoR were just incredibly generic "this is a budget adaptation" anime style.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Maybe Bloodstained will do well and Ayami Kojima will be available for the sequel!

...I live in hope.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It's Iga, of course it's gonna have half naked anime titties.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Boobstained

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
boobs are nice, i like boobs

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Anime is real good y'all. Please start having good opinions.

Bloodstained looks great.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sometimes I wish that anime, were less horny.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

The Colonel posted:

remember the time a little girl with a army of animal friends killed dracula

No, i'm pretty sure my take was a buff dude with a white bandana and a magical whip.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
Who the gently caress doesn't switch to Maria as soon as they rescue her

Why would you do that

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

MarsDragon posted:

Who the gently caress doesn't switch to Maria as soon as they rescue her

Why would you do that

Because Maria is too strong and makes the game easy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Sometimes I wish that anime, were less horny.

there are plenty of non-horny anime. would you like recommendations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Richter's very cool.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Cuntellectual posted:

Because Maria is too strong and makes the game easy.

not her fault richter sucks

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Endorph posted:

there are plenty of non-horny anime. would you like recommendations.

I said "sometimes"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

lets hang out posted:

not her fault richter sucks
Richter intentionally holds back to give his enemies a fair chance.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Raxivace posted:

Richter intentionally holds back to give his enemies a fair chance.

I say this when I'm getting my rear end kicked too

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You are all wrong I am the purest goon clutching my pearls at anime tiddies

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I just made it to the inverted castle in SOTN :stare:. It's just me and my lil' bat buddy against the world. I'd forgotten how weird and yonic that room was where Maria gives you the holy glasses. The regular castle aesthetic seems pretty standard fare for Dracula, then you see that room and realize what you're up against.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's some Bloodstained footage from E3 featuring IGA and Shutaro Iida (aka Curry the Kid):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H84PU4dzIU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Colours still look a little subdued for me but that's it for complaints.

Also lol at the guy for not recognising IGA

Kulkasha
Jan 15, 2010

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Likchenpa.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I just made it to the inverted castle in SOTN :stare:. It's just me and my lil' bat buddy against the world. I'd forgotten how weird and yonic that room was where Maria gives you the holy glasses. The regular castle aesthetic seems pretty standard fare for Dracula, then you see that room and realize what you're up against.

That room creeped me the hell out as a kid

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.
New trailer for the netflix show just came out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIMrFnl5NiA

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nude posted:

New trailer for the netflix show just came out:
Last month, dude:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And a higher def version without the subtitles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIMrFnl5NiA

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Mondo's CV4 vinyl went up for sale today... it's kinda ugly, unfortunately, but I'm sure some of you will dig it: https://mondotees.com/collections/mondo-music/products/super-castlevania-iv-original-video-game-soundtrack-2xlp

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Mondo's CV4 vinyl went up for sale today... it's kinda ugly, unfortunately, but I'm sure some of you will dig it: https://mondotees.com/collections/mondo-music/products/super-castlevania-iv-original-video-game-soundtrack-2xlp

The inner-spread map is pretty cool, but the cover is kinda butt.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's Mondo, their art is almost universally poo poo.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Man, Castlevania: Lords of Shadows is such a frustrating game.

The levels are beautiful to look at and the amount of work that went into them is staggering, but the combat gets repetitive fast due to the limited enemy types (so many giant spiders).

I'm also not a fan of the magic system. You need to chain long combos to build up a meter enough to start getting magic orbs to drop, then continue attacking to get enough of the orbs to build up your magic meter. Getting hit by any enemy attack resets the meter and it's very easy to get hit due to the game's lovely camera. Since life magic is the only way to heal yourself, you basically have to play very conservatively, which goes at odds with the crazy God of War style attack animations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

Man, Castlevania: Lords of Shadows is such a frustrating game.

The levels are beautiful to look at and the amount of work that went into them is staggering, but the combat gets repetitive fast due to the limited enemy types (so many giant spiders).

I'm also not a fan of the magic system. You need to chain long combos to build up a meter enough to start getting magic orbs to drop, then continue attacking to get enough of the orbs to build up your magic meter. Getting hit by any enemy attack resets the meter and it's very easy to get hit due to the game's lovely camera. Since life magic is the only way to heal yourself, you basically have to play very conservatively, which goes at odds with the crazy God of War style attack animations.

Youve identified in a single minute why their magic system is trash. The rewards of "not getting hit" shouldnt include healing because if youre not getting hit you dont actually need healing.

Game is downright sumptuous but has some truly half-assed backtracking and wow does the story completely gently caress itself up at the end when the foreshadowed ending would have been 100% better. At least Patrick Stewart is there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, "it's easier to heal if you don't take damage" is such a dumb design decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Lords of Shadow 2, where you need to build up magic meter to use the gauntlets, the only weapon capable of breaking the armor on certain enemies which block if you try to hit them at all, and where if you hit them otherwise while they're blocking it doesn't build meter, so you better hope to poo poo you had it charged up when you enter the fight or that there's other enemies nearby to charge it and that they're not too close to the blocking enemies because otherwise you'll automatically target them instead so you bounce off, and if you're far enough away from the armored enemies to attack somebody else to build meter you'll get hit by them shooting you from across the area.