Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
As an F1 fan I think there should be less races.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

n8r posted:

As an F1 fan I think there should be less races.

Why?

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
PS Vue apparently just dumped BEIN Sports so whoever I told to sign up for it a few days ago for MotoGP that uh is no longer valid. Still has NBCSN stuff I guess.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

PS Vue apparently just dumped BEIN Sports so whoever I told to sign up for it a few days ago for MotoGP that uh is no longer valid. Still has NBCSN stuff I guess.

poo poo, I'm glad I decided not to get it.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

quote:

All teams have been invited to attend, although it is understood that some teams – including championship contenders Mercedes and Ferrari – have decided not to join in.

gently caress them.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

keevo posted:

gently caress them.

What boner kills.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

What team can we support now once those two have turned into such killjoys? I refuse to like Red Bull.

Edit: Ah gently caress I disappeared into UKMT for the week when the Nando tags landed

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

What team can we support now once those two have turned into such killjoys? I refuse to like Red Bull.

Edit: Ah gently caress I disappeared into UKMT for the week when the Nando tags landed

McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thanks Ants posted:

Still want one?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah that would be sweet, centered please.

wicka posted:

McLaren Honda Formula 1 Team

Hmmm

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I have a regular at work who swears by Honda's small engine stuff.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I swear at Honda stuff

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I want to know why people who like to watch F1 races would prefer to have fewer F1 races to watch, in a way that sincerely isn't "please reply to wicka so he can argue at you." I don't really get it. I mean obviously there are limits to what the teams and drivers can deal with, and poo poo like 25 race seasons would be ridiculous, but why not find the limit and be at it? We had 21 races last year and it seemed fine, why willingly lower it to 16 or 18?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Thanks Ants posted:

Williams Martini Racing

http://www.williamsf1.com/racing

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

I want to know why people who like to watch F1 races would prefer to have fewer F1 races to watch, in a way that sincerely isn't "please reply to wicka so he can argue at you." I don't really get it. I mean obviously there are limits to what the teams and drivers can deal with, and poo poo like 25 race seasons would be ridiculous, but why not find the limit and be at it? We had 21 races last year and it seemed fine, why willingly lower it to 16 or 18?

If hypothetically teams having to compete in fewer races enables more of them to function at a competitive level rather than running out of cash or getting worn down by all the travel then it would be good for the sport. I'd like to have as many good races as possible to watch but it needs the teams to be able to put it together.

Fewer races presumably means less sponsorship income so there's definitely a balance to be struck. I don't find it too gruelling to watch a race every 2-3 weeks for eight months of the year though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

If hypothetically teams having to compete in fewer races enables more of them to function at a competitive level rather than running out of cash or getting worn down by all the travel then it would be good for the sport. I'd like to have as many good races as possible to watch but it needs the teams to be able to put it together.

Fewer races presumably means less sponsorship income so there's definitely a balance to be struck. I don't find it too gruelling to watch a race every 2-3 weeks for eight months of the year though.

This is a particularly good point when you consider the possibility of FOM rolling out a standalone streaming service - if you can convince fans to subscribe for a full season, your revenues (at least from broadcasting) don't fluctuate as much based on the number of races. And it's true that sponsors will want more exposure and thus more races, but far less of the value from sponsorship these days is from the car being a rolling billboard, so I think they could manage.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And I don't know how other people see it, but when considering the value of a season pass to F1 streaming, I wouldn't tend to think of it in terms of cost per race. If a season was good then I'd consider it good value, regardless of race count.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I think 20 is ideal, 22 is an upper limit, and there's no reason to go as low as 18

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
We could have more races, but that would mean booking the races in some sort of sane order and the teams being paid enough, or Liberty chip in to cover the extra costs for everyone, so they can do the thing rock bands do, which is have two road crews with two sets of gear. You play one gig while the next is being set up, and then all you need to do is move the band and instruments.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
New thread title:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Post-Japan the season seems to drag, but I think that's maybe due to the venues aside from Interlagos. If a compromise needs to be reached in should be 19 rounds, max. Also, I'd like to focus more on core markets were a racing culture actually exists.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

This is a particularly good point when you consider the possibility of FOM rolling out a standalone streaming service - if you can convince fans to subscribe for a full season, your revenues (at least from broadcasting) don't fluctuate as much based on the number of races. And it's true that sponsors will want more exposure and thus more races, but far less of the value from sponsorship these days is from the car being a rolling billboard, so I think they could manage.

Everything is moving, or has moved, to digital - it's where all audiences are, or can, be found now and it's where all of the sponsors could make up for 2-4 less races.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I wouldn't like to see a USA-level of sponsorship, but I could quite happily see the safety car being a special edition wienermobile.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

wicka posted:

I wouldn't mind one less, if it meant no summer break. I hate that stupid break...other than that, more is better :D

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Thanks Ants posted:

I wouldn't like to see a USA-level of sponsorship, but I could quite happily see the safety car being a special edition wienermobile.

Make the safety car the indy flag truck, but the flag is the union flag to really piss off people in this thread

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I can't seem to find anything in the F1 news media, but was there a reason why Are Dan only did a handful of laps in P2?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
"Engine problems".

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

You Am I posted:

I can't seem to find anything in the F1 news media, but was there a reason why Are Dan only did a handful of laps in P2?

'straya, oval office

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You Am I posted:

A dingo ate his horsepower.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

New thread title:

:saddowns:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

lmao

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Heh, they filmed the driver's meeting at Monaco.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C9hOtchZD8

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

Lewis' facial expressions in this video make me want to take back every bad thing I've ever said about the guy.

Also, Massa is apparently the only driver who can function as an adult.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

wicka posted:

Lewis' facial expressions in this video make me want to take back every bad thing I've ever said about the guy.

Also, Massa is apparently the only driver who can function as an adult.

Sergio's expression was that of someone listening to their immigration lawyer translate between english and spanish that he's now being deported and he has 24 hours to leave.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

... :evilbuddy:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Wirth1000 posted:

Verstappen is that kid who keeps asking the teacher the same question over and over and just doesnt get it no matter how many times it is explained to him.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Oh hey, if you've got an Amazon Prime Video subscription, then Le Mans: Racing is Everything just got released. 6*25 min episodes.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/video/detail/B0716P6SL4
(hopefully that will redirect you to your own countries' prime video page or something)

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Heineken needs to change their anti drink driving slogan. Dunno why it makes me so annoyed. The old Aussie one is good:

"Drink Drive, Bloody Idiot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownie
Jul 21, 2007
The Croatian Sensation

CratSock posted:

Brownie, it's been over a decade since I've been, but there used to be a place in Etobicoke that had a Monday night league where you show up and drive their usual rental karts for a few races, and they kept track of points, etc. Something like that would be a fun way to get a little bit into it without having to drop a bunch of money on your own equipment at first. Like ilmucche mentioned, Goodwood is a fun outdoor track, and then there's 401 and a place with electrics at Downsview.

Hmm I could only find the centennial track in Etobicoke and they don't do that anymore unfortunately.

I'll probably just convince a few friends to make the trek to Stouffville and check it out.

• Locked thread