Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:
Remedial would never have let this happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

this has been quite a posting day

quite the posting day indeed

OpticalRape
Nov 26, 2010
Please reinvite anime masters 2 goons

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

OpticalRape posted:

Please reinvite anime masters 2 goons

you have to let mittani hot glue you as payment

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

i love posting

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

:yossame:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Quite impressively so, really.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

urgaypwnd

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

the best part about all this outrage is that it's because of us

if we hadn't ratted and mined our pathetic, forgettable amount, none of these nerfs would have happened

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Goons discover the most efficient way to make isk -> goons do it en masse -> ccp nerfs it -> goons discover the next-most efficient way to make isk -> goons do it en masse -> ccp nerfs it -> etc

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pakled posted:

Goons discover the most efficient way to make isk -> goons do it en masse -> ccp nerfs it -> goons discover the next-most efficient way to make isk -> goons do it en masse -> ccp nerfs it -> etc

Rip my ratting vindi 2012-2012.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

heh remember when ccp nerfed ratting nagas and talos because their ticks were too good for this gay earth

grymwulf
Nov 29, 2013

What? Was it something I said?

Pakled posted:

I call the next nerf as smartbombing battleships in Havens.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
Every time I get enough free time to log in to play with spaceships something terrible happens.

CCP Quant's unquestionable master of SQL and Crystal Reports aside, didn't CCP have someone with an actual loving economics background working for them at some point?

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Baculus posted:

Every time I get enough free time to log in to play with spaceships something terrible happens.

CCP Quant's unquestionable master of SQL and Crystal Reports aside, didn't CCP have someone with an actual loving economics background working for them at some point?

They did. CCP Quant took over his job when he left.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Let's replace an economist with an engineer - both use math, right? :ccp:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
an economist of that type has a pretty niche purpose at a company like ccp so maybe they decided to not spend the money and/or couldnt afford or find one

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

it's because ccp has been poo poo for the last couple of years p much, it just took a trigger of like 2-3 bad things happening at once to turn the normie fanboys against ccp temporarily enough for actual criticism to be heard on r/eve

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Baculus posted:

Let's replace an economist with an engineer - both use math, right? :ccp:

Quant is technically a ~~data analyst~~ but yeah he's not even close to being a professional econ nerd like Dr. Eyjog was.

1001 Arabian dicks posted:

it's because ccp has been poo poo for the last couple of years p much, it just took a trigger of like 2-3 bad things happening at once to turn the normie fanboys against ccp temporarily enough for actual criticism to be heard on r/eve

And CCP will continue their recent trend of ignoring all criticism, doing what they planned anyway, and then wondering why PCU is declining.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

dragonshardz posted:

And CCP will continue their recent trend of ignoring all criticism, doing what they planned anyway, and then wondering why PCU is declining.

this is the ideal situation for everyone involved

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I wonder how many people actually unsubbed instead of just talked out of their rear end.

Ahh, the salt.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
This seems like such an upper class issue. How do people even manage to rally player outcry around reduced capital ship ratting income?

Someone said that this change would make it harder to bring newbies to incursion fleets because now they could no longer use supers for support.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
Someone on the forum post for the fighter changes also said if it's about bounties, why not just lower the bounty values instead. Maybe because the bounty values would affect noobs?

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
These devs are incompetents wastes of human flesh. It will fix nothing. People'll stop buying caps with all those ISK they have grinded and stash them.
My guess would be that the new pilots bred on real money skilling are very real to quit. Won't sell my super, that would be overreacting. After two days reading :poop: on lesser forums, CCP should introduce alliance currencies if they want to control ISK flow. For example Goons don't influence outside markets as much, look at the import/export figures. Imagine if we started exporting poo poo to Jita.

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
faux outrage over ratting ticks is boring, reading about gigx being gigx was way more fun.
https://pastebin.com/yr7taSgA

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

nex posted:

faux outrage over ratting ticks is boring, reading about gigx being gigx was way more fun.
https://pastebin.com/yr7taSgA

And the nip nap is paying off already.

I wonder if the diplomats foresaw or intended this wedge in internal relations.

Catberry fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 10, 2017

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Catberry posted:

And the nip nap is paying off already.

I wonder if the diplomats foresaw or intended this wedge in internal relations.

Gigx is perfectly capable of being a mouth breathing incompetent all by himself, he doesn't need Corps Diplo to do anything.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
man that guy has a melted cheese brain

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer
Afaik the background to that log is that CO2 hit a goon fortizar in Catch a couple of days ago.

Also i'm the FCON coordinator in a coord channel, oblivious to what goes on around me.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
If you wanted to try flying multiple dreads at the same time. Which one would be the best?

I know Naglfar is the best one but changing ammo based on range seems like :effort: for more than one.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

LEAKS posted:

[TEST] Sapporo Jones
test can't hit that fort
gigx knows this
[FCON] Sergon Echerie
That's silly
[TEST] Sapporo Jones
they are our western border
[CO2] gigX
oke np
but there also eastern border

[...]

[TEST] Sapporo Jones
I don't understand what you mean by the eastern border

Someone please explain to Sapporo that Slobodan Milose-GIGX is threatening him.

TBH I hope having Yugoslavia c. 1991 on our Eastern Border makes for some interesting drama.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Catberry posted:

This seems like such an upper class issue. How do people even manage to rally player outcry around reduced capital ship ratting income?

Someone said that this change would make it harder to bring newbies to incursion fleets because now they could no longer use supers for support.

By a ton of poo poo posting.

Look at the number of posts that start with "This is bullshit, I'm just the average joe trying to get by. But I'm really mad so I'm going to unsub my 15 accounts".

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

heh remember when ccp nerfed ratting nagas and talos because their ticks were too good for this gay earth

that was the moment it was clear that ccp doesn't really care about isk faucets or true economic balance. they care about per-account income, not per-player income. want to make more money? subscribe more accounts.

people running a dozen VNIs or ishtars (which are also extremely easy to bot) have just as much economic impact as the dual-boxed nagas or one hel. players make economic decisions as individuals, doesn't matter how many accounts they control. but one is much better for ccp's numbers. so they push people into a style of play that's really poo poo for the game.

they really dug their own grave on this.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
On the bright side, Goons have been asking for supers to be needed for a long time, and at this rate super ratting will be the next carrier ratting, so...

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Xae posted:

By a ton of poo poo posting.

Look at the number of posts that start with "This is bullshit, I'm just the average joe trying to get by. But I'm really mad so I'm going to unsub my 15 accounts".

Is this 1% of the 1% CCP apologism? Sure it might be feasible to sit and multibox 15 Rorqs and suck crock like a truck stop hooker, but they're being pro-active about reducing carrier ratting income.

Let's think about this critically for approximately half a second. People multibox shitloads of Rorqs because it's easy - this allegedly causes the mineral index to crash (actually this was kind of caused by skill injectors but shhh). Apparently there are also too many people making dank ratting ticks from ratting with supers and carriers.

These two things are not the same. Most people can't multi-box carriers. I'm lovely at this game, and it actually takes me paying attention to not loving lose fighters when I'm ratting - if I had to juggle two or three carriers, I would start losing money pretty quickly (I still loose a fighter or two every other site). Because of this you can probably infer that the people ratting in carriers and supers actually represent one user paying attention (as opposed to fifteen VNIs representing one user who's half AFK).

Even the "my 15 accounts" guys, if they're not sucking crock, are most likely running skill goo or PI farms which are self-sufficient, but not unlimited ISK. In fact, I was surprised how modest goo farming income really is. In the age of skill injectors and abundant caps, it's a loving joke to get into a carrier, and a Rorq is just a matter of money. The traditional barriers for entry to any particular venture in this lovely space game have all been reduced to ISK. Money can buy goo which is like buying back time you've already spent on another endeavor. [THIS IS VERY BAD FOR AN ECONOMY FYI.]

The solution to the mineral price index is not to loving reduce the amount of minerals on the market by making mining completely worthless... The solution to TOO MANY FUCKERS CARRIER RATTING is not to nerf the carriers...

But hey, at least CCP has been pretty consistent with their Patented Three-Step Process (tm):

Step 1: Identify a moderately profitable activity (mining/ratting/PI/reactions).

Step 2: Eliminate most barriers to entry, so anybody can do it on their own.

Step 3: Nerf the gently caress out of said activity when the entire player base starts doing it, because you never bothered to model how the changes would impact your market or playerbase in the first loving place.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
Maybe the Rorqual should have a minigame where you use a tractor beam to guide a 2D asteroid chunk through various canals and eventually into the ore hold. You then need to give it little nudges to keep it on course or it crashes into the side and gets vaporized while the Rorqual takes some structure damage.

Then you can balance Rorqual mining around one or two per human.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

to be fair, skill injectors aren't a unique pathway to trading isk for skills -- the character bazaar has existed for as long as i've been around, probably longer, so you've always been able to trade isk for skills

hell, i did this heavily to bootstrap myself past what my normal rate of SP gain would have allowed back in 2010, i had a carrier pilot within 6 months of starting just from selling scanned DED plexes to bittervet runners

however, the character bazaar had (has, really) a very limited throughput -- only a limited number of pilots that do the thing you want were available at any time

skill injectors massively increased the granularity of the whole process (and how much CCP makes from it,) which has the potential to accelerate dramatically game imbalances like rorqual mining

with no skill injectors, i'm sure we'd have seen 9T mined in a month in Delve, but it would have taken years, rather than months

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

to be fair, skill injectors aren't a unique pathway to trading isk for skills -- the character bazaar has existed for as long as i've been around, probably longer, so you've always been able to trade isk for skills

hell, i did this heavily to bootstrap myself past what my normal rate of SP gain would have allowed back in 2010, i had a carrier pilot within 6 months of starting just from selling scanned DED plexes to bittervet runners

however, the character bazaar had (has, really) a very limited throughput -- only a limited number of pilots that do the thing you want were available at any time

skill injectors massively increased the granularity of the whole process (and how much CCP makes from it,) which has the potential to accelerate dramatically game imbalances like rorqual mining

with no skill injectors, i'm sure we'd have seen 9T mined in a month in Delve, but it would have taken years, rather than months

Oh yeah because there wouldn't have been that many ready Rorqual pilots.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!
As it turns out, making skillpoints purchasable with ISK has made the optimal way to play and/or "win" Eve Online be grinding money as efficiently as possible. Who could have possibly seen this coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Fix Lag posted:

As it turns out, making skillpoints purchasable with ISK has made the optimal way to play and/or "win" Eve Online be grinding money as efficiently as possible. Who could have possibly seen this coming.

this is hardly new, the optimal way to play eve online has always been using money to accelerate everything

• Locked thread