Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
:sad:

quote:

Here are 3 cases in which someone used the phrase "I hope" and were convicted of obstruction.
U.S. v. McDonald, 521 F.3d 975 https://casetext.com/case/us-v-mcdonald-29 screen shot of text
US v johnson https://casetext.com/case/us-v-johnson-1289
US v Chujoy http://www.leagle.com/decision/In%20FDCO%2020160915I98/U.S.%20v.%20CHUJOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Whoops!

quote:

Another of President Donald Trump’s nominees has been caught fudging their academic and professional bonafides, according to The Hill.

Joseph Otting — Trump’s nominee for the U.S. Treasury’s Office of the Comptroller of the Currency — reportedly lied when he said on his resume that he holds a degree from the “School of Credit and Financial Management at Dartmouth College.”

Dartmouth — an Ivy League university that was founded in Hanover, New Hampshire in 1769 — has never had a school of credit and financial management, nor does any such college operate out of any Dartmouth facility.

“Joseph Otting is not a Dartmouth graduate,” said university spokeswoman Diana Lawrence to New England Cable News on Wednesday. “Dartmouth does not have a school of credit and financial management.”

The only program bearing the name “School of Credit and Financial Management” associated with Dartmouth was a four-week certificate program spread over two years that was provided by National Association of Credit Management, a Maryland-based nonprofit that provides credit and financial professionals with continuing education opportunities.
http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/busted-trump-treasury-pick-took-4-week-course-on-dartmouth-campus-and-called-it-a-degree/

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

maskenfreiheit posted:

as much as i love shooting cans full of .22, i do think we should probably check to make sure someone has never been involuntarily commited before selling them a kickass s&w

Stripping constitutional rights from people for getting treatment for certain diseases is a pretty huge step to take. Who's gonna engage with mental health services ever again for any reason if it's a ticket to being stripped of rights?

Especially since there is not actually a particularly strong history of mental illness linking to gun violence except the hand wavey kind of like "they must have been sick in the head by definition to shoot a kid!"

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Why do these shitbirds get caught cheating on their academics SO GODDAMN OFTEN?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Night10194 posted:

Why do these shitbirds get caught cheating on their academics SO GODDAMN OFTEN?

hmmm why do stupid people have bad political ideologies

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The only way this could have been better was if it was from Trump University.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

D-Pad posted:

I would have graduated in '06 but took some time off to pursue a personal goal. Ended up graduating in the spring of '08. I couldn't do much better than a McJob until I got lucky in 2012. Things have been great since, but holy poo poo graduating at the worst time to do so in ~100 years was not cool.

What is your job?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Stripping constitutional rights from people for getting treatment for certain diseases is a pretty huge step to take. Who's gonna engage with mental health services ever again for any reason if it's a ticket to being stripped of rights?

Especially since there is not actually a particularly strong history of mental illness linking to gun violence except the hand wavey kind of like "they must have been sick in the head by definition to shoot a kid!"

I personally know gun owners who probably have mild to moderate psychological problems who will not get tested or seek help because they could lose their rights.

Taking them away just means you have people with psychological problems holding onto guns with no chance of getting care.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

actionjackson posted:

What is your job?

Reynholm Industries

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mustached Demon posted:

The? Son we're gonna need a spinning death wheel of guillotines. Sort of like one of those river boat paddle wheels but guillotines instead.

So, a woodchipper?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Ice Phisherman posted:

I personally know gun owners who probably have mild to moderate psychological problems who will not get tested or seek help because they could lose their rights.

Taking them away just means you have people with psychological problems holding onto guns with no chance of getting care.

While both of you have a point, it's hard to pretend that the preferable scenario here isn't that these folks should not be armed and never should have been in the first place.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

The only way this could have been better was if it was from Trump University.

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/873364985027715072
https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/873368505260945409
https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/873369864580337665
https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/873371291360911361

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/873370489229586432

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 10, 2017

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It really is amazing how long the US has gone on for with things being based on non-written rules and expectations for its government. One idiot con man and a party dedicated to keeping him in power is really showing how much was based on in-good faith actors in our governing bodies. If we survive this insanity maybe we'll start codifying all that with actual laws

Yeah when the democrats get power again I am sure there will be a lawstorm. This will probably be the last presidential candidate to get cute about their taxes.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ice Phisherman posted:

If memory serves (and this might vary by state) you have to be involuntarily committed to a psych ward to be totally forbidden from buying a gun. People who seek treatment probably won't have that problem. I'm not a lawyer so do some homework as I could be wrong but I'm reasonably certain that "I saw a therapist once" doesn't get you put on the "absolutely no guns for you, ever, at all" list. If you voluntarily go into a mental hospital for some time to get yourself better from some problem you can still get a gun when you get out. Something has to be seriously wrong with a person to lose that right if they don't have a felony.

The main reason people don't seek help is a mix of social stigma and this weird belief that you can just will the crazy away. Like having some issues is a sign of personal moral failure. Which is stupid; some people just have screwy brain chemistry that a pill fixes.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fulchrum posted:

So, a woodchipper?

No that's not as elegant of a description.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Autism Sneaks posted:

While both of you have a point, it's hard to pretend that the preferable scenario here isn't that these folks should not be armed and never should have been in the first place.

Is there some study that people who have been committed are more likely to commit gun violence?

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Ben Franklin got a lot of action so why can't Trump????

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Autism Sneaks posted:

People already get through those loopholes by just never getting evaluated.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves (and this might vary by state) you have to be involuntarily committed to a psych ward to be totally forbidden from buying a gun. People who seek treatment probably won't have that problem. I'm not a lawyer so do some homework as I could be wrong but I'm reasonably certain that "I saw a therapist once" doesn't get you put on the "absolutely no guns for you, ever, at all" list. If you voluntarily go into a mental hospital for some time to get yourself better from some problem you can still get a gun when you get out. Something has to be seriously wrong with a person to lose that right if they don't have a felony.

The main reason people don't seek help is a mix of social stigma and this weird belief that you can just will the crazy away. Like having some issues is a sign of personal moral failure. Which is stupid; some people just have screwy brain chemistry that a pill fixes.

I'm not sure how it works and don't really know which websites to go to to get unbiased information. My opinion is that I have no opinion until I can have a correct opinion.

However on the second part I think it's not just a moral failing as you describe it, but that poo poo costs money and people don't have it to spend.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

gently caress SNEEP posted:

Ben Franklin got a lot of action so why can't Trump????

https://twitter.com/jcrutchmer/status/873367370609438725

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
This is absolutely gonna lead to Trump arguing he should be allowed to walk around naked, isn't it?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016
I think it goes without saying that a failure to enforce a law in the past does not invalidate the enforcement of said law in present or future cases.

Or at least, it shouldn't.

Can anyone with any real legal experience weigh in on this?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

BlueberryCanary posted:

I think it goes without saying that a failure to enforce a law in the past does not invalidate the enforcement of said law in present or future cases.

https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/873372635148804096
https://twitter.com/EricLiptonNYT/status/873374169316118529

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

BlueberryCanary posted:

my friend stole this car and you never prosecuted so I'm stealing this car.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

D-Pad posted:

I would have graduated in '06 but took some time off to pursue a personal goal. Ended up graduating in the spring of '08. I couldn't do much better than a McJob until I got lucky in 2012. Things have been great since, but holy poo poo graduating at the worst time to do so in ~100 years was not cool.

I graduated in '08 but immediately started my career out of college and have been making it rain everywhere I go since.

It did take me 7 years to finish my bachelors degree, though. Making that Little Caesars cheddar allowed me to have no student loans/debt.

I guess I don't see myself as a millennial though.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Fulchrum posted:

This is absolutely gonna lead to Trump arguing he should be allowed to walk around naked, isn't it?

Instead of saluting his marine guard must pee as he exits marine one.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

BlueberryCanary posted:

I've only read a few things on it. And IANAL.

That being said, what I have read suggests selling of goods is fine, selling services is questionable. My personal expectatiin is for the courts to call it a political question or for a business friendly court to say it only covers personal gifts as they find it absurd that the founders would have intended to hamper the spirit of capitalism.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ice Phisherman posted:

I'm not sure how it works and don't really know which websites to go to to get unbiased information. My opinion is that I have no opinion until I can have a correct opinion.

However on the second part I think it's not just a moral failing as you describe it, but that poo poo costs money and people don't have it to spend.

Legal libraries or courthouses can probably help you do legal research. Or at least point you to somebody who can point you to the law books. But really think about the practicalities of it; how many people see a therapist ever in their lives? Sometimes you just need some therapy to get through a rough spot. Your parents die in a car crash and then you end up in a familial legal battle over their assets? That's going to gently caress you up and some people need therapy to deal but that's not the sort of thing that should ban them for life from gun ownership now is it?

There are levels of mental care that can make you lose your right to own a gun but trust me; this is America. We err on the side of "more guns" here.

Actually I guess this site has it?

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/possession-of-a-firearm-by-the-mentally-ill.aspx

Generally speaking it seems to be the case that you have to be pretty hosed up to not get a gun. Some states apparently only restrict handguns while others make exceptions like "in the past five years" or just say "is declared mentally incompetent" or something. From the looks of things "I went to therapy" doesn't ever make you unable to have a gun.

But being unable to afford therapy...yeah that's always a bitch. Then people assume that if you've seen a therapist ever you're either axe crazy or will snap into axe crazy at any given moment. And it's like hey guys, some people are just a bit sadbrains and aren't dangerous.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Mustached Demon posted:

Instead of saluting his marine guard must pee as he exits marine one.

I don't remember Franklin doing that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Also, :lol: Both of the incidents cited would have been ruled under the Articles of confederation, and not the current US constitution (which didn't go into effect until 1789)

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Legal libraries or courthouses can probably help you do legal research. Or at least point you to somebody who can point you to the law books. But really think about the practicalities of it; how many people see a therapist ever in their lives? Sometimes you just need some therapy to get through a rough spot. Your parents die in a car crash and then you end up in a familial legal battle over their assets? That's going to gently caress you up and some people need therapy to deal but that's not the sort of thing that should ban them for life from gun ownership now is it?

There are levels of mental care that can make you lose your right to own a gun but trust me; this is America. We err on the side of "more guns" here.

Actually I guess this site has it?

http://www.ncsl.org/research/civil-and-criminal-justice/possession-of-a-firearm-by-the-mentally-ill.aspx

Generally speaking it seems to be the case that you have to be pretty hosed up to not get a gun. Some states apparently only restrict handguns while others make exceptions like "in the past five years" or just say "is declared mentally incompetent" or something. From the looks of things "I went to therapy" doesn't ever make you unable to have a gun.

But being unable to afford therapy...yeah that's always a bitch. Then people assume that if you've seen a therapist ever you're either axe crazy or will snap into axe crazy at any given moment. And it's like hey guys, some people are just a bit sadbrains and aren't dangerous.

Thanks for this. A buddy of mine has been refusing to get help because "He won't be able to keep his guns". Seeing as he lives in South Carolina he'd have to either be declared mentally incompetent or be a patient or prisoner under the SC Department of Mental Health.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Also, :lol: Both of the incidents cited would have been ruled under the Articles of confederation, and not the current US constitution (which didn't go into effect until 1789)

I think you'll find that Jesus handed down the Constitution to Elijah from Mount Sinai.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ice Phisherman posted:

Thanks for this. A buddy of mine has been refusing to get help because "He won't be able to keep his guns". Seeing as he lives in South Carolina he'd have to either be declared mentally incompetent or be a patient or prisoner under the SC Department of Mental Health.

Double check on the laws first (I'm not a lawyer and that came up from a Google search) but yeah...just seeing a therapist shouldn't be enough to make him lose his guns. From a purely mental health standpoint being able to say "I have problems and need to fix them" is a good sign. Like if there's any doubt spend a few dollars on a real lawyer for some real advice.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Isn't the problem that Trump hasn't gotten congressional permission?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Ice Phisherman posted:

Suicidal behavior is something you can get involuntarily committed for, too. If you're having mental health problems, you want to seek treatment *early*, before things descend to the point that you get committed, because once you're committed you do lose a lot of very real rights.

There have been various bills proposed to give people a path to restoring their gun rights after they leave commitment, but the whole thing is very politicized (see: the fight over the Obama Administration rule about people with Social Security representative payees losing gun rights, which was a genuinely bad change, since many people who have rep payees may be perfectly competent).

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/HeerJeet/status/873401388142809088

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
its a shame it'll probably get punted without addressing the emolument arguments

Still loving stupid that modern society has to follow what a bunch of slave owners thought 200 years ago

Judge on the case is an Obama appointee

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Jun 10, 2017

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I just hope it makes it to discovery.

Probably won't but still. I want Trump bribe deets.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Isn't the problem that Trump hasn't gotten congressional permission?

Sounds like his lawyer is saying he wants to release the tax records :v:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just hope it makes it to discovery.

Probably won't but still. I want Trump bribe deets.

Even if it did, there's no way they'd ever produce anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
They're also citing gifts given almost a decade before the US Constitution was written, of course.

• Locked thread