Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

look at this fuckin dude from the wikipedia page.

dude's wearing the military uniform from his campaign to subjugate the Zulu people and he's carrying the cane he uses to beat his servants

i'm the gears that don't connect to anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Improbable Lobster posted:

he hasnt finished building the coal scoop conveyor belt yet

e:

FMguru fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 24, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

they don't connect to anything at the moment

those guys never know when one will come in handy though

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

FMguru posted:

he hasnt finished building the coal scoop conveyor belt yet

e:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The closest I ever came to any sort of anything steampunkish was reading sone guys webpage where he tried to see if it would have been possible for lasers to have existed with 1800s technology (three answer was yes)

That was god damned amazing

It was a TEA laser (air gap and high voltage with no crazy weird materials needed but super fiddly, needs high voltage and makes a uv laser) and the HV came from a scratch built wimhurst generator.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
what i love most about zyborne clock fanart is that it is always either indistinguishable from the "concept art" or it's significantly better

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Gears that don't connect to anything are basically medals I think

Ideally they cover every square inch of you from what I can tell

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
check out my cybersteampunk bionic arm which is just a disgusting accumulation of dirty bicycle gears and duracell batteries

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

colonel muttonfucker
lady corsetgears
blimps

moderators, i beseech thee

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

evilcat posted:

What better describes kickstarter than a steampunk, leather stovepipe hat with brass gear accents and a flipbook in it?
How about if it's $300 and pledging only $100 gets you a basic flipbook kit that has a cardboard body?
The prices get better from there, $600 gets you the flipbook sans hat but made from thin sheet brass.
I should point out the actual leather hat is $700.

The wifi underwater drone felt like cheating since for ~$600 ($1024 retail) you get a wifi drone with gps for underwater usage, both technologies that are blocked heavily by even a small amount of water.
https://twitter.com/YourKickstarter/status/867860279618662400

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shifty Pony posted:

the people you have to watch out for are war re-enactors. they are the people that will do things like demand the black guy be assigned to digging the latrine ditch instead of playing an officer because that's more realistic.

civil war re-enactors disturb me on a fundamental level. people who sign up to spend days at a time pretending to be traitors fighting for the continuance of human bondage should probably be arrested on the spot just for the sake of public safety

see also: wwii re-enactors

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

otoh, the people who sign up to spend days pretending to defeat the traitors probably have a decent moral core

evilcat
May 16, 2009
What's the best way to get people interested in a product? It seems to be have a really hastily edited video that doesn't show the product, has unreadable text, text blinking too fast to read at the play speed, and #advertising so people can #staysomething and #looksomething and #behip with their #fellowkids.
$18 + $3 for US shipping for clothing isn't really that bad of a price. The problem is in the one picture they show of it where anything can be seen it is seemingly unhemmed, made from discount fabric from a cheap fabric store and the patterns cut out by a blind seamstress with a boxcutter.
It somehow opens up so clothes can stay completely on in public bathrooms. Frankly I'd be more worried about the toilet splashing onto my clothes than them touching the floor, and I can always ditch the skirt for pants if I am going somewhere where that would be an issue.
The reward tiers are odd overall, the basic one is $18, the next is $88 (instead of the $54 three would add to), and it continues from there. Luckily a $100 pledge gets you a screensaver, and you can gain one more romper by going from a $100 pledge to a $518 pledge. To top it all, you can get one of 18 limited final tier rewards of 20 rompers($360), your name on the tags of them, all for the low low price of $8,888.

On a snark free note it's a really good example of a bad project just due to the video editing and lack of information. More to come leaves people waiting, and without a good display of the product beyond 1 second of someone in their backyard cut into two clips is going to disinterest anyone slightly familiar with less trustworthy kickstarters.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

evilcat posted:

What's the best way to get people interested in a product? It seems to be have a really hastily edited video that doesn't show the product, has unreadable text, text blinking too fast to read at the play speed, and #advertising so people can #staysomething and #looksomething and #behip with their #fellowkids.
$18 + $3 for US shipping for clothing isn't really that bad of a price. The problem is in the one picture they show of it where anything can be seen it is seemingly unhemmed, made from discount fabric from a cheap fabric store and the patterns cut out by a blind seamstress with a boxcutter.
It somehow opens up so clothes can stay completely on in public bathrooms. Frankly I'd be more worried about the toilet splashing onto my clothes than them touching the floor, and I can always ditch the skirt for pants if I am going somewhere where that would be an issue.
The reward tiers are odd overall, the basic one is $18, the next is $88 (instead of the $54 three would add to), and it continues from there. Luckily a $100 pledge gets you a screensaver, and you can gain one more romper by going from a $100 pledge to a $518 pledge. To top it all, you can get one of 18 limited final tier rewards of 20 rompers($360), your name on the tags of them, all for the low low price of $8,888.

On a snark free note it's a really good example of a bad project just due to the video editing and lack of information. More to come leaves people waiting, and without a good display of the product beyond 1 second of someone in their backyard cut into two clips is going to disinterest anyone slightly familiar with less trustworthy kickstarters.

are you old enough to remember IT?

skoots off cliff

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

I think, a one off, non steampunk flipbook hat would own. There was a flipbook install at the 21c I walked through one night of birds and it was awesome.

But there should never be more than one person wearing that hat.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

y'all should watch Steampunk'd, the steampunk artisan reality show. poo poo is hilarious and sad

the punkyard

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

moron izzard posted:

there should never be one person wearing that hat.

fixed that for you

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

tick tock tick tock go my new nikes because im steampunk

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/this-campaign-is-over-all-orders-refunded-entertainment#/updates

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
the long and short of it is some austin indy wrestling promotion decided they would buy a building instead of renting a smaller venue and people told them it was a really terrible idea to fund a capital investment over indiegogo and now they're all huffy

https://twitter.com/WrestleCircus/status/869944271511605248

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

exploded mummy posted:

the long and short of it is some austin indy wrestling promotion decided they would buy a building instead of renting a smaller venue and people told them it was a really terrible idea to fund a capital investment over indiegogo and now they're all huffy

well they were right about the "destined for failure" part

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

exploded mummy posted:

i guess that means most people inside of austin are rich children with far too much disposable income and ideas that aren't marketable

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

anthonypants posted:

i guess that means most people inside of austin are rich children with far too much disposable income and ideas that aren't marketable

*looks at sxsw*

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/WrestleCircus/status/870043299226173440

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

duTrieux. posted:

the punkyard

my favorite part was how bitchy and incompetent and lame absolutely everyone was

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol they don't have a dedicated email address for investors

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
the wrestle circus is seeking clownvestors

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

lol on the kickstarter I'm on the creator is like 1 year overdue and has ghosted for months now everyone has started posting his address and talking about what a drunk he is and how they're gonna stop by his house. I check it every few months and it's just more and more like mad max every time.

crowdfunding is the future!

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

idk about that but on my kickstarter i got my unicorn butt cop shirt and true buckaroo mug

69/10 would support true buds who kiss again

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wasn't there a game supposed to go with that?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Mister Sinewave posted:

Wasn't there a game supposed to go with that?

yeah, i think thats just a digital download and still in the finishing phase. im kinda surprised they sent the other rewards first, normally kickstarters milk the all at once flash for all its worth. theyve been good on updates but a bit light on details at times, still one of the better kickstarters in my experience if only for the butt cop gifs

evilcat
May 16, 2009
I think I may have found the worst kickstarter with a complete trifecta of major issues. It's a small tank for underwater swimming/diving with up to 10 minutes capacity.
Problem one is it's a rebranded bailout tank, this is a product Spare Air already makes. Anyone with actual SCUBA certs could go on more there, but it's a $199US copy of what Spare Air charges $320 for, and the kickstarter includes the adapter to refill from tanks at that price. Basically, they're selling a device for something it really should not be used for, and some inexperienced person going a little too deep will probably burst a lung.
Problem two is Spare Air owns the patent for the adapter to refill bailout bottles from a full sized tank, not only is it not a new idea but they say nothing about it being licensed or anything; they probably do not have a license to produce the adapter.
Problem three is the pump, they're familiar for people with air guns and are absolutely terrible in time and effort to fill anything. The pump they developed seems to be this alibaba pump, going by the hand grips.
My search so far is failing me, but as their tank/pump/adapter at $295US is under the $320 Spare Air charges just for the tank and the pump seems to be for sure an alibaba flip, I suspect the remaining parts are as well.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
the great thing about selling poorly engineered scuba gear is that you will inevitably kill or injure people and be sued into oblivion if not actually go to jail

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

whatever happened to that super-tech mouthpiece that would filter breathable air from the water?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NoneMoreNegative posted:

whatever happened to that super-tech mouthpiece that would filter breathable air from the water?

mi6 doesn't want it getting out

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

what do you think happened?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Synthbuttrange posted:

what do you think happened?
well, the indiegogo page has vanished;

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3486712&perpage=40&pagenumber=4#post457742074

I'm gonna guess: stole all the money and did a runner..?

<edit> huh, they didn't get away with it, I am surprised

https://gearjunkie.com/refunded-triton-artificial-gills-campaign-update

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

it never worked because it was literally physically impossible

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
jfc you autists nobody is asking if the laws of physics changed to make it possible, they're asking what happened with the campaign

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

A Pinball Wizard posted:

jfc you autists nobody is asking if the laws of physics changed to make it possible, they're asking what happened with the campaign

well it violated the terms of service and the laws of physics

• Locked thread