Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I can't remember if it was in here we were talking about best political movies but i found the answer to it

It's Chaplin's Modern Times. I bet if you told him that 80 years after he made it it would still be relevant he'd be very proud and very sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

married but discreet posted:

I hope Brazil aged well. It was my favourite movie for a long time but I haven't seen it in ages.

Brazil still rules.

I remember a while back we were discussing home invasion thrillers in this and/or horror thread, and also definitely D. W. Griffith films. Well, guess who was a pioneer of the home invasion thriller?

Classic silent short of the day is An Unseen Enemy from 1912. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVSFlSxNvLg

Note the deliberate phrasing of "an," as opposed to "the." While Griffith was certainly no stranger to the formula of melodramatic, home invasion, I believe this short demonstrates a far more stylish, kinetic example of it. Just check out those pre-Kubrickian twins, victims of Griffith's primary racist fantasy, which is actually these 'degenerate' white trash villains, like the gypsy and blackface villains that would be his legacy, representing the 'biological' decline of 'civilization.' And, yet, it's also rather tongue-in-cheek.

Or it may be just that the soundtrack I played for it was the first 2.1 songs (didn't really get through the third) of this fantastic 1967 neo-classical record Extended Voices. Those were:

1) "Sound Patterns" Pauline Oliveros https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJZUaeqOsc
2) "North American Time Capsule 1967" Alvin Lucier https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot_EEK9VRd4
3) the first minute and a half of "Solos for Voice 2" John Cage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nINo9zmBVyo

This entire record is loving phenomenal, though.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

I hope you meant rewatch Blade Runner otherwise what are you doing with your life.

I have never seen blade runner

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I hope you meant rewatch Blade

Ftfy

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Anyone know a really good audiobook version of Sherlock Holmes stories? I wanna get into it but my eyesight problems mean sitting down and reading a ton of short stories is a no-no. The free version on youtube has a dreadfully boring narrator.

DC Murderverse posted:

I can't remember if it was in here we were talking about best political movies but i found the answer to it

It's Chaplin's Modern Times.

Duh.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

DC Murderverse posted:

It's Chaplin's Modern Times. I bet if you told him that 80 years after he made it it would still be relevant he'd be very proud and very sad.

Gabriel Over the White House tho

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Conspiracy theory: Dredd and Mad Max take place in the same world and it's the Mushroom Kingdom from the Mario movie.

I hope you meant rewatch Blade Runner otherwise what are you doing with your life.

When I was younger I sat down to watch Blade Runner but was disappointed to find my dad only had the directors cut, which I figured wasn't as good as the theatrical version. I realize now I was probably incorrect.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

One thing about the Dredd setting in the comics that's super weird to me is that they have space travel and tons of alien races and planets capable of supporting life exist. So they're in those huge megacities that are fairly dystopian, surrounded by horrifying Mad Max apocalypse deserts, but they could just... leave...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DeimosRising posted:

5) Explanation of how the video proves Flat Earth when its a video about like, how to remove the heat sink from your computer

Hey,dude if we're on a spinning planet when you tossed the heat sink into the air it would have either hit you in the face or disappeared out the window.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Hat Thoughts posted:

Jenny come to Brazil

Are you being kind to me

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I read the spoiler for the mummy, I think they got the movie mixed up with a super hero movie. Might be a good rental.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Moonwalker is an extraordinarily strange film.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm watching The Mummy (1999) as an attempt to forget how awful the new one is. I forgot how loving camp this movie is!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Everyone who has El Rey and enjoys loving weird-rear end low budget bad action movies should clear their schedule tomorrow and watch the Snake Eater films.

No Big Bosses to be seen, but they feature a man being killed by electric piss and a man winning a bar fight using a condom. And that's just in one of them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Taintrunner posted:

I'm watching The Mummy (1999) as an attempt to forget how awful the new one is. I forgot how loving camp this movie is!

Hot take: Steven Sommers owns.

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Brazil

is good.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Moonwalker is an extraordinarily strange film.

Yet the game is even stranger (either version)

Unrelated, it's honestly amazing to me that people online are still acting mad about the 2016 Ghostbusters.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I have never seen blade runner

hosed up if true.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Taintrunner posted:

The 99 mummy is so good! The second one is filled with air balloon nonsense. Can you even make an air balloon like a final fantasy airship?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jun 10, 2017

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
It's such a good day adventure film, that's a genre that needs a comeback TBH

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

I'm about to watch Rasputin, The Mad Monk starring Christopher Lee

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's such a good day adventure film, that's a genre that needs a comeback TBH

What's the last great adventure movie?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Coffee And Pie posted:

It's time to watch DREDD and eat some mint chocolate chip ice cream motherfuckers

Also at some point I need to watch blade runner, because the sequel is coming out soon and R Gos is looking good

When I was a child, I called mint chocolate chip ice cream "Emerald City Ice Cream" because I watched The Wizard of Oz every day. Green things are like emerald city. Solid logic.

Tenzarin posted:

The 99 mummy is so good! The second one is filled with air balloon nonsense. Can you even make an air balloon like a final fantasy airship?
The second one fuckin rules. No of course you can't make a hot air balloon like that. It's not a realistic movie. One of the coolest scenes on the movie violates basic, like, I would say "astro-physics" but it's actually just "how shadows work".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lord Krangdar posted:

Guardians 2?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lord Krangdar posted:

xXx: The return of Xander Cage.

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...
Well...

My girlfriend and I went over to the house of a couple of friends we hadn't seen in a long time.

It was supposed to be a board game night, but we spend the first hour or two just catching up and shooting the poo poo. After this our one friend decided he'd rather watch a movie than play a board game, and he had a movie "you guys will really like."

It was Bad Grandpa.

What a colossal, tedious, unfunny, piece poo poo movie that was.

Edit: Dirty Grandpa. Not Bad Grandpa. Not sure how I got those confused.

Blisster fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jun 10, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Tomorrow's TCM underground is a must:

Portrait of Jason https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8fcuH-rTWE

The Connection http://www.tcm.com/mediaroom/video/1142420/Connection-The-Movie-Clip-In-A-Drug-Addict-s-Apartment.html

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Rasputin just stopped boning a farmer's daughter so he could chop a dude's hand off with a scythe this is sick

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lord Krangdar posted:

Tintin

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It was before Tintin, but I always had a big soft spot for Second Hand Lions. I guess that's technically a film about viewing life as an adventure film, rather than strictly being one...

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Tenzarin posted:

xXx: The return of Xander Cage.

I actually enjoyed this one a lot. It's a decent fast and furious-lite with the stupidity cranked up to 11. Plus they let Ruby Rose be gay in it which I was there for.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Jenny Angel posted:

Are you being kind to me

I mean the implication is that you're a pop-star beloved by brazillian teens so I can't really see how that's a bad thing.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blisster posted:

Well...

My girlfriend and I went over to the house of a couple of friends we hadn't seen in a long time.

It was supposed to be a board game night, but we spend the first hour or two just catching up and shooting the poo poo. After this our one friend decided he'd rather watch a movie than play a board game, and he had a movie "you guys will really like."

It was Bad Grandpa.

What a colossal, tedious, unfunny, piece poo poo movie that was.

Wait, like, the Jackass movie?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Lurdiak posted:

Anyone know a really good audiobook version of Sherlock Holmes stories? I wanna get into it but my eyesight problems mean sitting down and reading a ton of short stories is a no-no. The free version on youtube has a dreadfully boring narrator.

Duh.

If you have an audible account (or a free trial) they've just released the complete set of all novels and short stories with Stephen Fry narrating it and it's really very good.

It is also about 75 hours long.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

DrVenkman posted:

If you have an audible account (or a free trial) they've just released the complete set of all novels and short stories with Stephen Fry narrating it and it's really very good.

It is also about 75 hours long.

Thanks!

And that length isn't scaring me off. You're talking to the man who watched every episode of every Law and Order. In less than 2 years.

E: What the fug

I don't know which one to shoot!

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Jun 10, 2017

Blisster
Mar 10, 2010

What you are listening to are musicians performing psychedelic music under the influence of a mind altering chemical called...

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Wait, like, the Jackass movie?

Oops I meant Dirty Grandpa.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Holy poo poo, does this website seriously not give me an audio file I can download? I have to use a go-between app or cloud-based service? No loving wonder they need to advertise their lovely website alongside loot crates to get people to use it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Freudian Slipper, were you taking about shooting in an alley next to the embassy and Masons? I meant to suggest asking them for footage to incorporate to cut in that CCTV style perspective.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

K. Waste posted:

Or it may be just that the soundtrack I played for it was the first 2.1 songs (didn't really get through the third) of this fantastic 1967 neo-classical record Extended Voices. Those were:

I adore this kind of stuff, thanks for sharing.

Blisster posted:

Edit: Dirty Grandpa. Not Bad Grandpa. Not sure how I got those confused.

Here is one way to remember the difference: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pf-pP3mEzvY (:nws:ish)
Definitely a case of typecasting Aubrey Plaza, but she made lemonade out of that tasteless, old lemon.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

She sure had a lemon party with Bob De Niro

• Locked thread