Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lemon King posted:

Puppetmaster and Arithmetician.

Yes please.

I would also play the gently caress out of a Vierra, either gender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOBpATa1HUY

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They certainly put the 'waif' into 'waifu', that's for certain. If you'd seen concept art of female Au Ra you'd see that they originally had a completely different aesthetic with a lot less gender dimorphism.

I play a male.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
shoutouts to Ryan Cokes, Ace Palico, and Really Till. we wiped on Behemoth on 180 last week and after some post-death Sads got back in the saddle and conquered this week. also got a mount drop! we wanted to do this as a send-off to Heavensward

E: Pumpkin Secured

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 10, 2017

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

Howl Jenkins
Most Likely to be in Gpose
"No, my name isn't a Leeroy Jenkins reference."

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Yar Yargomesh
Member of the Ultimate Omniclasser's Club
Awarded the "Mentor Who Actually Tries To Be A Mentor" trophy three months running
Most Likely to still Main Paladin when Final Fantasy XXIV is released.
Knowledge is Power!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm glad a goon finally amounted to something around here.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Injuryprone posted:

I play a male.

Ah, so a coatrack, then. =P

(See, it's a joke because how stiff they are...)

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Eureka Instrumental
Voted most likely to stare at Party Finder but never click the button.
"It's never worth it."

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
I'm interested in derping about in FFXIV for a bit (although I doubt I will do a deep dive into endgame). Is there a proper sequence of events I should follow (ie: Recruit a Friend, choosing a certain server, etc)? I have the base game from ages ago (I tried it out when ARR launched but only played for a few hours), so I already have an account, although I have no characters or anything. Am I SOL on Recruit a Friend in that case?

Aside from that, my initial plan is to level for a bit and just see how I like things. I'd like to try out the Palace of the Dead, as that's a pretty interesting concept to me (Dungeon content was always my favorite in the other MMO's that I've played), is it any good? My thought was to level exclusively in PotD (if that's possible?) and then buy a story skip potion to Heavensward, do that content and possibly continue on to Stormblood. I heard the Heavensward questing content was very enjoyable.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

AttackBacon posted:

Aside from that, my initial plan is to level for a bit and just see how I like things. I'd like to try out the Palace of the Dead, as that's a pretty interesting concept to me (Dungeon content was always my favorite in the other MMO's that I've played), is it any good? My thought was to level exclusively in PotD (if that's possible?) and then buy a story skip potion to Heavensward, do that content and possibly continue on to Stormblood. I heard the Heavensward questing content was very enjoyable.

PotD can be fun but if you try to level entirely from it you are gonna fukken hate yourself, and you'll be missing out on everything cool from ARR.

You say that dungeon content is your favorite thing from other MMO's and this game absolutely delivers on that front, but not through PoTD.

Egoist
Aug 19, 2010

Love myself today
Let you go today
Lipstick Apathy

FaintlyQuaint posted:

Eureka Instrumental
Voted most likely to stare at Party Finder but never click the button.
"It's never worth it."

:same:

AttackBacon posted:

I'm interested in derping about in FFXIV for a bit (although I doubt I will do a deep dive into endgame). Is there a proper sequence of events I should follow (ie: Recruit a Friend, choosing a certain server, etc)? I have the base game from ages ago (I tried it out when ARR launched but only played for a few hours), so I already have an account, although I have no characters or anything. Am I SOL on Recruit a Friend in that case?

If you've bought a subscription, I want to say you're ineligible for RAF but if you don't even have a character then that shouldn't be a worry.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

AttackBacon posted:

You're SOL on the recruit a friend stuff, since you already have an account.

You could definitely level nearly exclusively in palace of the dead. It unlocks around level 18, so you'll have to do it quest style until then. You'll also want to duck out at level 30 to get your job quest out of the way, to unlock all your new skills as well. For the time being that also means getting a side-class to level 15, which doesn't take that long. Whether it's good or not, well, it's probably the fastest way to level. The content isn't nearly as interesting as most actual dungeon content though.

Once stormblood launches you can buy a jump potion to skip of ARR/2.55 content, or everything including heavensward content. Heavensward content was quite good compared to ARR content in any case.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
They are not SOL if they can RAF someone else. Both referrer and referee get the XP boost circlet.

Griz
May 21, 2001

RAF doesn't lock you out until you add time to your account so an old trial account should still be able to use someone else's code.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Is there an Alisaie sidequest in Heavensward?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ither posted:

Nope.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ither posted:

There's one in ARR, though

It's coil

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Ither posted:

No, but She does play a significant role in 3.4

vannevar
Jan 27, 2013

The war goes on.

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i want yearbook style screenshots of all your characters to mark the end of heavensward please

Mitsuko Ashikaga
“She doesn't even go here!”

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Qivali Tsezi
Voted most likely to inflict fun on an unsuspecting group.
"Add phase, huh? Better precast Cure 3."

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

SwissArmyDruid posted:

They are not SOL if they can RAF someone else. Both referrer and referee get the XP boost circlet.

They aren't SOL period. If you've not applied a subscription of any kind to your account, you can have someone give you a RAF code.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So is there going to be a new thread made for Stormblood?

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Tandra Jaye
Voted most likely to put Balance on herself
Tandra Jaye expresses her fervent approval.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Dr Pepper posted:

So is there going to be a new thread made for Stormblood?

Probably. This thread was created during the pre-HW maintenance window.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Whats the best looking caster chest piece?

Trying to see if I can find something better than what I have currently.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Lemon King posted:

I like the caster jacket from LOTA

Leal posted:

Post your catgirl

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Lemon King posted:

Favorite is the Allagan Tunic of Casting (Replica for dyeing). Also dig the Crimson Vest, Arachne Bolero, Expeditioner's Tabard, Woad Skywicce's Fur, Valerian Wizard's Robe, Plague Bringer's Coat, and Gordian Gown/Midan Coat of Casting.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

robe of divine death and the dyeable variant

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA
Thanks for all the responses. I'll give a RAF code from the relevant thread a go. It sounds like PotD is fine but the regular dungeons are better, is that the general consensus? Part of the appeal of PotD is that (at least from what I could tell) it is gear agnostic, whereas for regular content I assume I'd have to gear up at least partially through quests (although I suppose I'll have to do some MSQ content anyways as it gates progression?). I suppose what I'm really getting at is: how is the leveling experience, is it enjoyable mostly solo (I'll probably end up joining a goon LS, I just have pretty irregular play times and generally can't be on voice), and what is the best way to go about it (catch-up mechanics etc). I'll almost certainly be purchasing a MSQ skip potion if I enjoy the game, so getting into all the max level ARR MSQ content isn't really a big concern for me.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Just follow the story quests. They have a meteor icon. Once you hit 15ish and unlock the first dungeon, if you try and run your daily dungeon roulette that's worth a ton of experience, you should easily keep pace with if not outlevel the story. You can use PotD to fill, but it's mostly better for secondary+ jobs when you don't have access to the Main Story Quests (MSQ) for gear/massive experience. You shouldn't have any trouble keeping your main class geared up just from the MSQ + incidental dungeon drops.

The story quests themselves are almost all solo. There's even some story instances that force you to be solo (to the bane of those of us duoing) and you'll have to do some dungeons/trials sometime but the dungeon finder makes that trivial to do unless you're a DPS (where there will be a small-moderate wait).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Lemon King posted:

Sky Pirates
Plaguebringer

Female models, dunno what male versions are like.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Enchilada Night
Voted most likely to Elusive Jump off a cliff
"I didn't think I could jump that far"

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Lemon King posted:

The Shire piece is pretty nice, and so is the midan one.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Oh man why didn't I try NIN sooner? :allears: (Because in the past I only did tanking)

Fun as hell in FFXIV. I may actually play NIN over SAM in SB, I'm gonna have to compare both... either way maximum anime :japan:

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I really enjoyed nin in arr and what little I've played mine in hw, but I'm extremely skeptical of it's changes in sb from what I've seen. It really doesn't get much that's truly new, it's new ultimate thing is the ability to chain cast ninjutsu.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Khisanth Magus posted:

I really enjoyed nin in arr and what little I've played mine in hw, but I'm extremely skeptical of it's changes in sb from what I've seen. It really doesn't get much that's truly new, it's new ultimate thing is the ability to chain cast ninjutsu.

Yeah I am bummed about that, but having never played NIN before its all fresh to me anyways. And the ultimate thing where you can fast cast 3 mudras in a row is pretty nifty and feels proper ninja.

Overall the class reminds me of Magicka, its unlike any class I've played in any other MMO. Really rewarding.

On the other hand, SAM looks like exactly the kind of fast melee class I usually play in MMOs. But the unique playstyle of NIN may win over...

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Lemon King posted:

Acolyte's Robe. There's a dyable variant if you're a healer, which is really nice, and I wish they'd just make them disciple of magic instead of just healers. Original from the dungeon is a green color if you're good with that.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

AttackBacon posted:

Thanks for all the responses. I'll give a RAF code from the relevant thread a go. It sounds like PotD is fine but the regular dungeons are better, is that the general consensus? Part of the appeal of PotD is that (at least from what I could tell) it is gear agnostic, whereas for regular content I assume I'd have to gear up at least partially through quests (although I suppose I'll have to do some MSQ content anyways as it gates progression?). I suppose what I'm really getting at is: how is the leveling experience, is it enjoyable mostly solo (I'll probably end up joining a goon LS, I just have pretty irregular play times and generally can't be on voice), and what is the best way to go about it (catch-up mechanics etc). I'll almost certainly be purchasing a MSQ skip potion if I enjoy the game, so getting into all the max level ARR MSQ content isn't really a big concern for me.

MSQ is by far your #1 source of experience from 1-50 and from 50-60. The lv50 quests (post-launch, pre-HW story) give little to no experience. That said, there are dead zones where you hit the wall just following the MSQ, and PotD (along with the occasional FATE, hunting log, and :siren:keeping up with your class quests:siren:) is great for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Sade posted:

The lv50 quests (post-launch, pre-HW story) give little to no experience.

They get you up to almost 52 by the time you enter Ishgard though.

• Locked thread