Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

She was a mute in Kingsmen, at least that's how I remember it.

Nah, she talks several times. For instance, she prompts Samuel L. Jackson on how good it feels to kill someone himself after he shoots Colin Firth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Also, Sofia Boutella is great and I hope she gets another good role soon (to go with Kingsmen and Atomic Blonde).

I liked her in Star Trek.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

GrandpaPants posted:

I liked her in Star Trek.

Her character was really fun, I hope they don't totally forget she exists when they make another one.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I hope she and Zoe Saldana have had a chance to bond over all their time in the alien/monster make up chair.

edit: Also if they can bring Galahad back after he got shot in the head, they can bring Gazelle back after she got poisoned.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 9, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Here's my pitch for Kung Fu Dracula: Dracula ate the heart of a dragon to gain it's powers but was cursed to become a vampire because of it. Over the centuries, he decided to become a good guy and learned kung fu to keep his vampire bloodlust in check. That's the backstory. The plot of the movie is Dracula teaming up with Brahm Stocker to fight Grahf Orlock in Victorian London.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Here's my pitch for Kung Fu Dracula: Dracula ate the heart of a dragon to gain it's powers but was cursed to become a vampire because of it. Over the centuries, he decided to become a good guy and learned kung fu to keep his vampire bloodlust in check. That's the backstory. The plot of the movie is Dracula teaming up with Brahm Stocker to fight Grahf Orlock in Victorian London.

Add some stoner comedy elements and this could be the start of our Dank Universe.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think the worst and most awkward thing about The Mummy is the humor. It just doesn't fit the movie. You're dealing with monsters and ancient evils and you want to make it lighthearted at times? It's so drat weird.

Last week I went to see a different movie in the cinema and after all the typical trailers they showed a scene from The Mummy as a "don't use your phone during the movie" message. I found it amusing and figured it was an alternative silly take they shot just for the purpose of that message. Turns out that besides adding the old Nokia ringtone sound that entire scene is in the movie, unchanged.

Maybe they looked at Marvel and DC and said "they've got jokes, our universe needs jokes too" ? Or did they look at Brendan Fraser's The Mummy movies and didn't realize those could pull of humor because the main characters weren't so serious and they were going for a playful, adventurous vibe?

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 9, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Add some stoner comedy elements and this could be the start of our Dank Universe.

So Seth Rogen as Brahm Stoker, got it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MonsieurChoc posted:

So Seth Rogen as Brahm Stoker, got it.

Seth Rogen as Bahm Stroker

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mierenneuker posted:

I think the worst and most awkward thing about The Mummy is the humor. It just doesn't fit the movie. You're dealing with monsters and ancient evils and you want to make it lighthearted at times? It's so drat weird.

Last week I went to see a different movie in the cinema and after all the typical trailers they showed a scene from The Mummy as a "don't use your phone during the movie" message. I found it amusing and figured it was an alternative silly take they shot just for the purpose of that message. Turns out that besides adding the old Nokia ringtone sound that entire scene is in the movie, unchanged.

Maybe they looked at Marvel and DC and said "they've got jokes, our universe needs jokes too" ? Or did they look at Brendan Fraser's The Mummy movies and didn't realize those could pull of humor because the main characters weren't so serious and they were going for a playful, adventurous vibe?

The "banter" between Tom Cruise and Annabelle Wallis was so bad that people in my audience started to audibly groan every time it came up. The leads had absolutely zero chemistry and every joke failed to land.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Seth Rogen as Bahm Stroker

You'll go far in Hollywood.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The "banter" between Tom Cruise and Annabelle Wallis was so bad that people in my audience started to audibly groan every time it came up. The leads had absolutely zero chemistry and every joke failed to land.

I thought it was hilarious that Tom Cruise and Jake Johnson are supposed to be great buddies with years of friendship behind them but Cruise fucks him over constantly - at the start when Johnson doesn't want to follow Cruise into the town full of insurgents Cruise cuts open his water bottle so he has to choose between dying of thirst in the desert or sneaking into a town full of people who will kill him on sight - and then on the plane trip back to England after Johnson has obviously been looking unwell he goes and curls up in the corner and dies and Cruise doesn't even loving notice.

Best buds 4 eva! :hfive:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 9, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I thought it was hilarious that Tom Cruise and Jake Johnson are supposed to be great buddies with years of friendship behind them but Cruise fucks him over constantly - at the start when Johnson doesn't want to follow Cruise into the town full of insurgents Cruise cuts open his water bottle so he has to choose between dying of thirst in the desert or sneaking into a town full of people who will kill him on sight - and then on the plane trip back to England after Johnson has obviously been looking unwell he goes and curls up in the corner and dies and Cruise doesn't even loving notice.

I'm pretty sure that first one is stolen from Superman's Pal, Jimmy Olsen.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

An Alex Kurtzman film that is trash? How could this be possible!

How do he and Orci keep getting work? Have they never ever submitted a script late in their entire lives or something?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

SciFiDownBeat posted:

How do he and Orci keep getting work? Have they never ever submitted a script late in their entire lives or something?

They attach themselves to crowd pleaser blockbusters.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ignore this post I'm dumb as dogshit.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

They attach themselves to crowd pleaser blockbusters.

They take studio notes really well.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Neo Rasa posted:

Her character was really fun, I hope they don't totally forget she exists when they make another one.

This is a morbid elephant in the room, but they did lose one of the characters...

Anyway, The Mummy, a movie that I certainly didn't enjoy that much, but the RT score seems a bit low. It's a decent enough ride.

The jokes (such as I remember) didn't bother me too much, because Tom Cruise does a reasonable terrified idiot and I'll fully admit I chuckled at the "You want to stab me? Intentionally?" line, or offended doctor-lady asking if Tom Cruise was just going to leave her there. I'm not sure if Tom Cruise having an 0-3 record when trying to fight the Mummy was supposed to be funny, but I laughed.

Totally agreed with the poster who said that the two mains have literally no charisma together. Having the whole movie end on a aww look she thinks hes a good person and he wuvs her note is just dumb and feels like its forced. Just make the guy an rear end in a top hat.

Sofia Boutella was underserved, but she's good at being angry and (at times) mildly sympathetic.

I really didn't like the whole Jekyll/Hyde thing. Okay, fine, have a scene where Hyde almost comes out, but to stop the plot for a bit for it was pointless. They already kinda established that Jekyll is a terrible person.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Neo Rasa posted:

I was expecting Carol Marcus to stick around so prepare to be disappointed I guess.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

MisterBibs posted:

I really didn't like the whole Jekyll/Hyde thing.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MisterBibs posted:

Jekyll/Hyde

I don't think you need to spoiler tag this.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it warranted spoilertalk or not, and I figured I'd err on the side of caution and not catch a probation on spoiling poo poo. Even if it's the goddamned Mummy, of all things.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I will say, I'm not at all surprised Cruise and Wallis have no chemistry in The Mummy. In the trailers alone it looked like there was nothing there.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm not mousing over it. Pretty sure it's about a cameo by ICP

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MisterBibs posted:

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it warranted spoilertalk or not, and I figured I'd err on the side of caution and not catch a probation on spoiling poo poo. Even if it's the goddamned Mummy, of all things.

It's like spoiling that Bruce Wayne turns into batman, only dumber because it's in the loving title of the book.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

ruddiger posted:

Does she even have any lines in Kingsmen? I don't remember a line of dialogue from her character, only her goofy leg knives gimmick.

No, she had a bunch of lines with Jackson.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

LesterGroans posted:

I will say, I'm not at all surprised Cruise and Wallis have no chemistry in The Mummy. In the trailers alone it looked like there was nothing there.

Both characters were completely under-written in the first place. Their relationship is almost entirely a vague insistence that maybe he's a good guy after all and maybe she sees that in him, but they never establish him as a particularly bad guy in the first place -- or give anyone watching a reason to care that he might have cared about her before he one-night-stand'd her, or establish...anything, really, to make him becoming the vessel for an evil god have any shred of suspense. It plays out like the movie's missing at least 1-2 important character-building scenes with their introduction to each other that should have actually started the movie instead of whatever convoluted Russell Crowe/Egyptian backstory nonsense they used. It's like they wanted to replicate Rick and Evie from the 1999 Mummy but didn't bother with anything that might have made the Fraser/Weisz pair work for a lot of people.

He also yells "JENNY!" enough in the movie to almost make me believe someone handed him the Forrest Gump script by mistake.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

so good

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Dr Monkeysee posted:

I was expecting Carol Marcus to stick around so prepare to be disappointed I guess.

I was remembering that as I typed the post, don't jinx it. :(

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I saw Wonder Woman and thought the Bruce Wayne/Batman cameo was done a lot better than those of other heroes in previous DC installments.

Spoilers for those who are new to the DC cinematic universe.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't forget he shoots him a third time just for fun

Not a well written film and Cruise's charms aren't really taken advantage of but heck the plane crash sequence was very well done

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SciFiDownBeat posted:

I saw Wonder Woman and thought the Bruce Wayne/Batman cameo was done a lot better than those of other heroes in previous DC installments.

Spoilers for those who are new to the DC cinematic universe.
Antman is in the movie??

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Antman is in the movie??

No, Fatman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsJBNPjX0Cs

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's like spoiling that Bruce Wayne turns into batman, only dumber because it's in the loving title of the book.
Which book title are you thinking of?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Darthemed posted:

Which book title are you thinking of?

Presumably "Strange case of Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde"

"
edit: :thejoke:?

Len fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 10, 2017

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

God, I wish the MCU had a villain as good as a random MGS boss fight.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just give me one good "BROTHER!!!!" Or at least a CQC hug.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Fatman sure sounds a lot like Stan Lee, now that I see that clip again.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

MonsieurChoc posted:

Denis Villeneuve's "Metal Gear" :eyepop: Think of the possibilities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Fatman hangs around with Jake, and Jake Johnson is in The Mummy, it's all connected, people!!!!!!

• Locked thread