Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

hmmm based on this rationale I wonder if this bigot rear end moron also thinks that LGBT "stand condemned" ? How about Jewish people? Or people that (rightfully) lol at organised religion?

get 'em bernie :berned:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

phasmid posted:

Except that the quote was lifted from an article the man wrote defending his alma mater for firing a teacher. The teacher in question was exercising their constitutionally protected freedom of speech, but that seemed not to accord with the articles of faith at said school. If the man is willing to blackball someone out of a job for saying that Christians and Muslims pray to the same God, what reason do I have to believe he will keep an objective view of things in office?

So which is it? Do we side with the constitution and reinstate the teacher or do we let someone who lets the Bible advise his work in to a secular position?

Then he should have focused on that instead of zeroing in on the theological statement and undermining his own argument.

quote:

e. By the way

dross, noun - something regarded as worthless; rubbish.

If someone "stands condemned" it means they're off to hell. It's not a misrepresentation. He said it himself, he was just too chickenshit to repeat it because he knew that was the object of Sanders' line of questioning.

The article points out that he was literally quoting Jesus:

John 3:18 -- Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The motherfucker is saying that HE has the right to believe whatever, but gently caress that other dude and his opinions. Christians are also supposed not to judge, but to leave judgement to God. He is a piece of poo poo and a weasel and he shouldn't hold office. End of story.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
"Hey, you can't bring your different faiths into our Christian environment! Begone, sinner!"

"What? I act as a Christian should! Why bar me from office for not having the slightest tolerance for others? BIGOT."

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
fuckman is obviously politicising that Biblical reference and the likelihood that he holds similar bigoted views towards groups such as LGBT is extremely high so imo he can take his Ted Cruz worldview and gently caress off

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Homestar Runner posted:

hmmm based on this rationale I wonder if this bigot rear end moron also thinks that LGBT "stand condemned" ? How about Jewish people? Or people that (rightfully) lol at organised religion?

get 'em bernie :berned:

Who cares? He's entitled to his beliefs. I don't care if he thinks I'm going to Hell and neither should you.

Also, how can you simultaneously claim that this guy is unfit for public office because of his taking a dim view theologically of Islam, then turn around and cast aspersions on organized religion as a whole? By your logic, wouldn't that also make you unfit for public office? How could you possibly treat any person of faith fairly if you view their most sacredly held beliefs as being laughably inferior to your own, to the point of scorn?

phasmid posted:

"Hey, you can't bring your different faiths into our Christian environment! Begone, sinner!"

"What? I act as a Christian should! Why bar me from office for not having the slightest tolerance for others? BIGOT."

Yeah, the actions he took in defending the questionable dismissal would have been a good line of argument for Bernie to focus on, rather than getting sidetracked and attacking the guy for quoting Jesus. It's a little something called "strategy", I don't know if you've heard of it but it's something we're probably going to need to focus on going forward.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Homestar Runner posted:

fuckman is obviously politicising that Biblical reference and the likelihood that he holds similar bigoted views towards groups such as LGBT is extremely high so imo he can take his Ted Cruz worldview and gently caress off

That's a pretty treacherous line of argument you're going down. Sanders explicitly claimed that the statement itself was Islamophobic. But it's a statement that's directly and uncontroversially implied by what Jesus is quoted verbatim as saying in the Bible. If you don't believe in Jesus as the son of God, you stand condemned. Pretty straightforward reading of that passage.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, the actions he took in defending the questionable dismissal would have been a good line of argument for Bernie to focus on, rather than getting sidetracked and attacking the guy for quoting Jesus. It's a little something called "strategy", I don't know if you've heard of it but it's something we're probably going to need to focus on going forward.
It's the same strategy I'm applying to this conversation. It was also the undercurrent of the interview. I assume the assembled had been apprised of the details, so Bernie decided to cut to the chase. Throwing out a bunch of chaff and talking like a broken record seems to be all the dude had on his internal teleprompter. So much for strategy.

I admire a little smarts in my politicians, don't you?

As far as your reservations go, I agree that people's faith should not be a reason to keep them from office. That would indeed be un-American. However, this individual has already shown he is willing to defend a school that makes an equally disturbing move. Presumably he lent his support because he felt they needed it. Okay. That political move is an indicator for his future actions. It is well within reason to think the guy will apply similar standards to the job he's applying for.

And I seriously doubt hellfire scares Homestar Runner or me any more than it does you or Senator Sanders. What the man does in this *life* is what affects us and that was the crux of it, no matter how it appeared in the brief committee hearing we saw.

e. He also said Muslims didn't know God and were "deficient". I don't recall Jesus saying that.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Cnut the Great posted:

Also, how can you simultaneously claim that this guy is unfit for public office because of his taking a dim view theologically of Islam, then turn around and cast aspersions on organized religion as a whole?

are u not aware of the separation of church and state or something

idgaf what people believe until they politicise it for the obvious end game of dividing people up

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Homestar Runner posted:

idgaf what people believe until they politicise it for the obvious end game of dividing people up

Exactly. He cost someone their job. For trying to bring people together, of all things. So gently caress him.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

phasmid posted:

e. He also said Muslims didn't know God and were "deficient". I don't recall Jesus saying that.

He said they had a "deficient theology." Come on now. That's obviously all but synonymous with the concept the Biblical passage we're discussing is communicating.

Homestar Runner posted:

Uhhh yeah. That's exactly why I'm saying the guy's personal religious beliefs about the afterlife shouldn't have been politicized by Bernie.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
We're at an impasse. Vought has the right to his well-thought-out opinions and we have the right to shut him down. Turnabout is fair play.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
da gently caress. bernie gave him a chance to clarify his statement, and how it would inform his politics, and he couldn't do it. because he's an unrepentant bigot.

your interpretation of what transpired is mangled my dude

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

phasmid posted:

Exactly. He cost someone their job. For trying to bring people together, of all things. So gently caress him.

His argument was that as a teacher at a private religious college with a (perfectly legal) contract requiring instructors to adhere to certain articles of faith, her firing was justified based on the fact that her statement was in contradiction to the institution's fundamental theological principles. There are all kinds of weird issues with private religious colleges in the first place, but honestly I'd argue that if you're going to let them exist it's not totally illogical for them to work that way. What if a teacher at a Christian college suddenly converted to atheism and started teaching their students that the Bible was a lie and God didn't exist? Wouldn't that kind of defeat the purpose of it being a Christian college? It kind of goes back to the core issue of religious freedom that we're discussing in the first place.

At the very least, it would be reasonable to disqualify the guy if it was evident he thought the same standards that apply at private Christian colleges should apply to public, secular institutions. And again, I'm not even saying you couldn't use the whole above issue as a reason to disqualify him. I'm honestly not sure how these sorts of issues should shake out because it's a sketchy area. And even from a theological standpoint Wheaton's rationale for her dismissal strikes me as incredibly weak. All I'm saying is that Bernie's particular approach was clearly wrongheaded.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Homestar Runner posted:

da gently caress. bernie gave him a chance to clarify his statement, and how it would inform his politics, and he couldn't do it. because he's an unrepentant bigot.

When does this happen? The closest thing I could find in the video is this exchange:

quote:

SANDERS: I understand that you are a Christian. But this country is made up of people who are not just—I understand that Christianity is the majority religion. But there are other people who have different religions in this country and around the world. In your judgment, do you think that people who are not Christians are going to be condemned?

VOUGHT: As a Christian, I believe that all individuals are made in the image of God and are worthy of dignity and respect, regardless of their religious beliefs. I believe that as a Christian, that’s how I should treat all individuals—

Then Bernie interrupts him and asks the same question over again.

quote:

your interpretation of what transpired is mangled my dude

:raise:

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
because what matters is

how.

it.

informs.

his.

politics.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Homestar Runner posted:

because what matters is

how.

it.

informs.

his.

politics.

Yeah, I'm asking when did Bernie ask him that question. I'm sorry, I'm not attacking you, I just can't find it.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!
well I posted the video but you didn't want to watch it :shrug:

in any case, if you're basically gonna answer every confirmation hearing question with "ahem, in the immortal words of jesus christ..." u need to gtfo of politics

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Omg get this theology poo poo out of the hatin' on the YAASS LIZARD QUEEN thread

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I think Hill C should add Pokémon Go to the list of reasons she lost

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
"Shortly after calling into question President Trump's mental health on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe,' House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's own mental health came under scrutiny, as the 77-year-old California congresswoman referred to President Trump as "President Bush" and forgot what day of the week it is.  

A reporter quickly helped her correct the gaffe, interjecting "Trump," but Pelosi appeared oblivious she slipped up.

An aide then emerged from the sidelines, passing Pelosi a note, notifying her she got the two presidents mixed up again."

Lmao

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Isn't she like 77 years old? You fuckers used to mock the age of our politicians in Europe, maybe you learned the wrong lesson, since grandma Merkel is 63.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

T.S. Smelliot posted:

"Shortly after calling into question President Trump's mental health on MSNBC's 'Morning Joe,' House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi's own mental health came under scrutiny, as the 77-year-old California congresswoman referred to President Trump as "President Bush" and forgot what day of the week it is.  

A reporter quickly helped her correct the gaffe, interjecting "Trump," but Pelosi appeared oblivious she slipped up.

An aide then emerged from the sidelines, passing Pelosi a note, notifying her she got the two presidents mixed up again."

Lmao

Lol all these people shouting that Trump is senile or retarded or whatever but he's never once forgotten who's President (he is)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Retirement at 55 death at 65

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Lol all these people shouting that Trump is senile or retarded or whatever but he's never once forgotten who's President (he is)

Actually he constantly forgets why do you think he keeps tweeting like a maniac?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bholder posted:

Actually he constantly forgets why do you think he keeps tweeting like a maniac?

Hmm... nope this post doesn't make sense as an argument or a joke. What is your business here, exactly?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Toplowtech posted:

Isn't she like 77 years old? You fuckers used to mock the age of our politicians in Europe, maybe you learned the wrong lesson, since grandma Merkel is 63.

77 is nothing. Strom Thurmond was a senator until he dropped dead at 100+ years old. I'm pretty sure that during the last years they were just propping up a corpse a-la Weekend at Bernie's.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Hmm... nope this post doesn't make sense as an argument or a joke. What is your business here, exactly?

To tell you to grow up

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Bholder posted:

To tell you to grow up

Bholder posted:

Science should really focus on how to cure black people's genetic affection towards crime.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hmmmm

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Oh hey it's bholder, hi bholder. What kind of slave were you hoping for in the new regime? Child sex flavor or just the regular black people kind?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

FisheyStix posted:

Oh hey it's bholder, hi bholder. What kind of slave were you hoping for in the new regime? Child sex flavor or just the regular black people kind?

you

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

lol religious people

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Child sex it is! :v:

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Lolled irl at this

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Somehow I strongly suspect that the people making the extremely stupid argument in favor of what Sanders was doing would suddenly reverse course if it were a vocal atheist with a history of looking down on the religious being considered for the cabinet position.

Sorry, but as much as I love my main man Bernard, what he was doing was indeed tantamount to a religious version of an ideological purity test, in this case of Islamophobia. Which I would be fine with if it were applied equally, but such a thing would never be so.

Purity tests are something to be avoided on the left. Mostly because they lead to presidential candidate failures like, say, one Hillary R. Clinton.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 10, 2017

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Toplowtech posted:

Nancy pelosi doesn't have an aura of grandmotherliness, and as hateable as Angela Merkel is, Nancy pelosi is worse. Her age is the least of what's wrong with her.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

Nancy pelosi doesn't have an aura of grandmotherliness, and as hateable as Angela Merkel is, Nancy pelosi is worse. Her age is the least of what's wrong with her.

The only person I can possibly think of work is more hateable than Nancy Pelosi is HRC and well lol

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

T.S. Smelliot posted:

The only person I can possibly think of work is more hateable than Nancy Pelosi is HRC and well lol

I can think of a lot of people more hateable, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I'm not watching a 10 minute video. Is this the quote?

quote:

Sanders: I would simply say, Mr. Chairman, that this nominee is really not someone who this country is supposed to be about.

Did he vote against Trump's nominee? Did he have any other reasons? Was he just giving Trump's nominee poo poo for dogmatism?

Edit: If we impeach Trump and Pence is still standing, theocracy and conservative christianity is going to give us a lot of this poo poo.

• Locked thread