Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

SeaborneClink posted:

I secretly hope you're my company's TAM.

It's cool. I hope that you are that user. :cheers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Thanks Ants posted:

Dell/HP charge such a dumb amount for an SSD, I'd be in favour of buying the machine, tossing the HDD into the bin (into my NAS) and fitting an SSD if I didn't need to rely on warranties.
What's worse is that they aren't using some special snowflake SSD either, I've opened up a few and its just a Sandisk or whatever generic brand inside. Fortunately the price gap is starting to close so I don't have to fart around buying say; a laptop and separate drive to fit with the original drive going into the cardboard HDD graveyard.

EDIT: Actually it took HP friggin' ages before it was even offered as an option.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

SeaborneClink posted:

I secretly hope you're my company's TAM.

:same:

Agrikk posted:

It's cool. I hope that you are that user. :cheers:

a bit harsh :)

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Shortcuts don't alphabetize themselves among folders. Both groups will assume the folder's been deleted anyway because nobody can be bothered to scroll down.

Windows supports symlinks via the mklink command that get "treated" as a proper folder in most regards, allowing programs that wouldn't normally follow shortcuts to use them properly :eng101:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Windows supports symlinks via the mklink command that get "treated" as a proper folder in most regards, allowing programs that wouldn't normally follow shortcuts to use them properly :eng101:

I used to move steam games to different disks this way before valve made it a feature

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

spankmeister posted:

I used to move steam games to different disks this way before valve made it a feature

Literally how i learned everything I know about hard and symbolic links

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Kicking and screaming into the POSIX light

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

spankmeister posted:

That and dumping save files to dropbox for ghetto cloud saving.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Boogalo posted:

That and dumping save files to dropbox for ghetto cloud saving.

I still use it as combo "centralized configuration location with automatic backup sync", especially for those games that can't figure out if they should put poo poo in Docs/Games, Docs/My Games, AppData/Roaming/Games, etc

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard
Call came in about one of the MFPs.

"I can't print, it's talking about jams and misfeeds, I hate this printer!! It's the worst machine ever!"
"Um, to be honest you say that about every printer..." (and every PC and every mobile phone. "when am I getting a new one?!")
"But this one is worse than the old one!"
"That too.. anyway, will take a look."

Rummage around troubleshooting while she's doing running commentary / complaints in my ear "it's going to fail again, you know. See, it failed again! What are you doing now? Don't you think it's just a bad printer?"
Eventually after properly closing the doors that hadn't been slammed shut in anger properly, the errors settled on "misfeed in tray 5"
Open tray 5... turns out that's where the petty cash box is hidden!

She now really wants some way of disabling tray 5 so that it can resume its life as a (not very) safe.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Garrand posted:

Literally how i learned everything I know about hard and symbolic links

I use it to have my homedir on another disk so I can reinstall windows when it fucks up easily and not lose everything. Had the same homedir since windows 2000 (which first introduced symbolic links).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

GargleBlaster posted:

"I can't print, it's talking about jams and misfeeds, I hate this printer!! It's the worst machine ever!"
"Um, to be honest you say that about every printer..." (and every PC and every mobile phone. "when am I getting a new one?!")

Rummage around troubleshooting while she's doing running commentary / complaints in my ear "it's going to fail again, you know. See, it failed again! What are you doing now? Don't you think it's just a bad printer?"
Eventually after properly closing the doors that hadn't been slammed shut in anger properly, the errors settled on "misfeed in tray 5"

She now really wants some way of disabling tray 5 so that it can resume its life as a (not very) safe.

:psyduck:

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Should have carted it away then and there as a faulty printer. Too bad the new printer has no petty cash inside anymore.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Actually, that gives me a question. Did anyone here not start as someone who was just "good with computers" when they started working/studying/training? Did anyone get into this without first being a hobbyist of some sort?

A bit old, but I started my career as a embedded Linux engineer because I was the only "Linux guy" my friend knew. At the time I didnt even know what a toolchain was. :v: (I did know what gcc was, just not what the entire package was called.)

That was a decade ago, and thanks to him and his boss, I now have a great career. Yay nepotism!

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks Ants posted:

Dell/HP charge such a dumb amount for an SSD, I'd be in favour of buying the machine, tossing the HDD into the bin (into my NAS) and fitting an SSD if I didn't need to rely on warranties.

I do this, as a result I have a ton of 500GB HDDs that I have no need for.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

They truly are worthless. The only use I can find for the 500GB laptop drives is old beater laptops.

We have a bunch of 250/320 desktop drives too.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
You guys use ssd's in your datacenter,

Here i am replacing 500Gb HD's with 500 GB HD's from dell
:suicide:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I have just installed some new servers with 16 770GB SSD drives.

Feels good, man.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
Just bear in mind Enterprise SSDs != Desktop / Client SSDs.

We get a lot of people using client SSDs in servers that are upset when they stop working after a few months.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Yeah. Mine are the IBM ones. Automatic wear-leveling with an added layer of actually being 1.5TB but only half addressed.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Someone sent a stupidly large email to 1000s of people and broke everything, yay that person!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

LethalGeek posted:

Someone sent a stupidly large email to 1000s of people and broke everything, yay that person!

Was it the email, or the reply-all with the original email contents in it that multiple people no-doubt sent out afterwards? :v:

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

GargleBlaster posted:

Here, what our derployees were doing was stacking extra paper into the copier trays, on the side that didn't feed/was open space for use when using LT-R/legal/ledger.

Since the entire tray moved up to keep feeding paper, all of a sudden it didn't feed very well...

(Part of this was because the large-capacity try at the bottom of the copier *was* a double-stack, and would shove over the second stack when the first was depleted... but goddamn if you could *teach* anyone that it was *only* that tray. :eng99:)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Luther is coming back for a four episode 5th season.

http://www.avclub.com/article/luther-will-be-back-fifth-season-256664

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Was it the email, or the reply-all with the original email contents in it that multiple people no-doubt sent out afterwards? :v:

Everyone else would have had to get it first before they could even try to do that. It brought everything to a screeching halt by somehow overloading the 200Mb data center line as I heard over the call.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A ticket came in, somebody reporting email issues for their entire site.

Our helpdesk have been emailing them back and wondering why they aren't getting a response :suicide:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Ants posted:

A ticket came in, somebody reporting email issues for their entire site.

Our helpdesk have been emailing them back and wondering why they aren't getting a response :suicide:

I have done this once or twice not even thinking about it, but each time I've realized immediately upon hitting send "oh yeah that's not going to reach them... Now they're going to know I'm retarded when email works again"

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

This one guy I really hate asked why we didn't send out a firmwide email about how the email wasn't working.

I couldn't tell you the other whiny dumbass poo poo he tends to say but this one I will remember forever cause it was so loving thick I wanted to ask him what his problem was.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Yay! My WIndows Phone started permanently crashing on start-up for no reason all of a sudden.

What fun: I get to do a hard reset, which would be a simple process except people in my organisation can no longer create a connection to our workplace as part of a phone set-up.

Now I have a smart phone with no email (business essential), no contacts (business essential) or calendar (business essential) - but at least I can make calls on it.

Go, Go, IT dept: this has been a critical issue for 6 months now.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
This is the best unexpected news I've come across in this thread.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

poo poo. Wrong thread :saddowns:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Give them all to me. I will build a throne from them.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

A skype message came in..

The office across the hall from me is used as a hotelling office for our remote workers. I received this message a couple minutes ago from the user that is using it this week:

:j: Hey Fool
:j: I am unable to connect to VPN

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Johnny Aztec posted:

Give them all to me. I will build a throne from them.

You should build a bunch of RAID5s and put them in a software RAID0.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

pixaal posted:

You should build a bunch of RAID5s and put them in a software RAID0.

Just slap them all into a rack as a bigass NAS, and designate/brand it as "Puffy Cloud Jr.".

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

GreenNight posted:

poo poo. Wrong thread :saddowns:

Made my day though

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Luther is good. Whatever the season was that started with the bloke crawling out from under the bed was probably my favourite.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

nielsm posted:

Put a Deny Delete ACL on the folder. Now nobody can move it.
I'm late to folder chat, but do this and tell the users "Oh, you must have used up all that folder's moves."

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

LethalGeek posted:

We have a couple of hundred people across several states, so it's always fun when a company-wide email about the parking lot at the main site getting paved or something goes out to all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
A mini-clusterfuck came in; hosted VOIP shat itself and someone booked in a Salesforce consultant except they didn't tell me about it

Except I wasn't even in the office today because I was out interviewing, lol :yotj:
Man I want this job, it's basically what I already do sans the extra bullshit (Dashing of help desk, Windows infrastructure management, project work) with an actual IT dept, nevermind there's not much of a pay increase but I'd prefer to keep my sanity and leave this dumpster fire.

• Locked thread