Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Reverse seared some really good pork chops out on the grill with some veggies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
caprese with some local heirloom cherry tomatoes

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

curry-rubbed haddock wrapped in banana leaf, pineapple and chili sambal, rice

celery veloute, brioche croutons with bacon, strawberry-hazelnut salad with mint

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

kittenmittons posted:

curry-rubbed haddock wrapped in banana leaf, pineapple and chili sambal, rice

:eyepop:

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

E; nothing to see here

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
after a couple of dreary, unseasonably cool days, today felt like summer and I was burgin' pretty hard, so I burged on the grill

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Vegan paella with mushrooms and artichoke

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The chicken thighs I got a good deal on earlier in the week that I SHOULD have frozen went bad (I think, played it safe) and SO rather than home cured bacon wrapped chicken thighs on skewers, grilled and basted in adobo sauce...we had beans and veggies in a rice bowl with all the accompaniments that would have gone with them. You win some, you lose some.

Was still good. This is mostly just a post to say that it was an excuse to use our Zojirushi rice cooker again and while I'm looking for a reason to justify the cost, it truly is making some drat fine rice and I'm glad I got it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Had leftover rice (that I'd made with some caradmom pods and cloves in as it cooked) from yesterday's meal. Threw some chestnut mushrooms and green peppers into a pan that was rip-roaringly hot, sauteed them, threw in some turmeric, cumin, coriander powder (gently caress I forgot to put fresh coriander on top), chilli flakes / cayenne pepper and garam masala, added two eggs and cooked it thoroughly, then added the leftover rice for a pretty nice mediterranean stirfried rice.

PSA: don't stand over the pan when it's roaring hot and you throw in the cayenne and chilli flakes, it'll near about get you maced. I added a ladle of water in to steam the veggies a bit and all that steam carried the chilli essence and had me sneezing / coughing for about ten mins. Entire kitchen is a no-go zone as the second you walk in, you're hit by the spiciness.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 10, 2017

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Loopoo posted:

PSA: don't stand over the pan when it's roaring hot and you throw in the cayenne and chilli flakes, it'll near about get you maced. I added a ladle of water in to steam the veggies a bit and all that steam carried the chilli essence and had me sneezing / coughing for about ten mins. Entire kitchen is a no-go zone as the second you walk in, you're hit by the spiciness.

You know, of all the crap I've screwed up in the kitchen I don't think I've ever had this happen. Heard of it plenty of times. Burned plenty of spices, hotter than this, too. And never done this to myself. I dunno if I'm immune to this or if I'm just lucky.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Big Beef City posted:

You know, of all the crap I've screwed up in the kitchen I don't think I've ever had this happen. Heard of it plenty of times. Burned plenty of spices, hotter than this, too. And never done this to myself. I dunno if I'm immune to this or if I'm just lucky.

I've used tonnes of super spicy stuff during cooking and never had it happen to me, I don't think it's an issue if you're adding the spices to a rather dry pan. First time it happened today was definitely due to the steam I created. My veggies were getting cooked to the level I wanted them, and I didn't want them to start burning, so I ladled in some water and that instantly evaporated and blasted my sinuses with the spice.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Big Beef City posted:

You're just lucky. Go test that luck and deglaze a pan of stir fried chillies with whiskey or something you special lucky child.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Every time I make an Asian dish that uses dried chilis to perfume the oil, etc that happens to me. Not my eyes, but, standing close to the wok is impossible without coughing like mad.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

You're just lucky. Go test that luck and deglaze a pan of stir fried chillies with whiskey or something you special lucky child.

:smug:
"I'll show them with my spicy fusion style bananas FostAAAWGGGOOOODD"

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
I'm VERY new to cooking at any functioning capacity, but I'm feelin' the urge to :justpost: so here's what I made:

Shredded chicken and bacon tacos with pico, lettuce, and Valentina hot sauce on buttered and toasted tortillas. They were wonderful.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You warmed the tortillas, that's the important part.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Passing this along:

Al! posted:

my concept is that i want to produce three courses that accruately communicate my feelings about ranch to the diner. i will introduce the theme of each dish as it is presented to you.

the theme of first course is pain. i have plated a trio of ranch-dusted penny nails, a ranch-dipped chile japones and as a drink pairing, a shot glass - rimmed with crushed cool ranch doritos - of seagrams gin, with a single drop of blood.

Al! posted:

main course:

theme: in-edibility

this course includes hdmi cable gnocchetti served room temperature tossed lightly with a ranch balsamic vinagrette and locally-sourced microgreens, a ranch and egg yolk mock-egg, a blackened-tortilla "taquito" with ranch/sardine foam, topped with a fillet of sardine with mustard sauce

Al! posted:

dessert:

theme, nausea

this one actually takes a bit of explaining. the lines of turbinado sugar and "spicy ranch seasoning" are meant to be insufflated into the sinus cavity, causing an immediate, intense, and lasting sense of pain and nausea. this is paired with a cube of pepto bismol gelatto, and a trifle with layered ranch, salsa, "sandwich spread" (i think its mayo mustard and relish, real vile stuff), and barbecue sauce, served with a cool ranch corn crisp ;) and another cube of the pepto

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

hakimashou posted:

Passing this along:

incredible :five:

sticking with the ranch theme

Roasted turkey leg, kenji's 3 ingredient mac, side salad of spinach / broccoli slaw / tomato, with ranch obviously because gently caress you

for the turkey leg, I sauteed some shallot and garlic in butter, then added that to 2 Tbsp cold butter to soften it a bit along with salt / white pepper / marjoram / thyme / rosemary, then slathered that poo poo all over the turkey legs and roasted them for about an hour at 375. they were awesome

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
sticking with "poultry leg with sides" theme, i have a pair of chicken drumsticks marinated in soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and rice vinegar browned then simmered in a pan, alongside kale w/ garlic, shallot, and lemon and buttery white rice

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

kumba posted:

sticking with "poultry leg with sides" theme, i have a pair of chicken drumsticks marinated in soy sauce, garlic, brown sugar, and rice vinegar browned then simmered in a pan, alongside kale w/ garlic, shallot, and lemon and buttery white rice

Chicken, greens and rice was my go to dinner when I was younger. It's a drat fine meal, imo.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Doc Walrus posted:

I'm VERY new to cooking at any functioning capacity, but I'm feelin' the urge to :justpost: so here's what I made:

Shredded chicken and bacon tacos with pico, lettuce, and Valentina hot sauce on buttered and toasted tortillas. They were wonderful.

Hell yeah you do you, bud. Those look tasty, even if the photograph isn't super great.

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Chicken Fried Steak with sour cream gravy. Homemade ranch dressing (bigger pain in the rear end then one would think).

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No pics, but it goes with 'poultry leg'. (e: also...because it looks like "grilled chicken" so..)
I'm slowly perfecting a tarragon brined chicken drumstick/thigh recipe that I'm doing again tonight.

Currently for about 6-7 drumsticks (or equivalent amount of bone in thighs), I'm doing:

3-4 large cloves of garlic, smashed and minced very finely. Paste, almost.
A very large chunk of fresh tarragon, again minced so fine as to be almost paste. More than you think you need, when finely minced should be a large cupped handful.
The juice of 1/2 a large lemon.
(a mortar and pestle to work this all into one paste to begin with would be nice, but...whatever)

Add the above to 1.5 cups of sweet white wine, the sweeter the better without getting into hobo/wine mixer territory.
Combine with 1/4 cup sugar. 1/4 cup salt.

Try to dissolve as much sugar and salt into the wine mixture as you can as cleanly as you can before adding it to a large ziploc baggie containing your chicken and another 5'ish cups of very cold water. Massage to mix and let sit 3+ hours (this seems to be the sweet spot, 4 is fine, 2 isn't long enough and it's never gone longer than that in my house).

Remove from bag and let air dry in the fridge for a bit to dry the skin.
Brush lightly with peanut oil before grilling.

When getting close to the end of grilling bring a pan out to the grill (or over the stove, whatever) with butter, a bit of lemon zest and yes, even more tarragon and melt the butter and bring to a very low simmer. Plate the chicken, and spoon or brush with some of the tarragon butter.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jun 17, 2017

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here
Sausage cheese tray...well there is sausage and cheese in there somewhere.

Sous Vide Strips and my inspiration for all that is cooking.

Nhilist fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jun 18, 2017

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Crossposting from the smoking thread...

And yesterday I smoked a pork shoulder with oak and pecan. Had a real easy time maintaining temperature but the stall lasted a long, long time.

Edit: I also made beans, of course.

Happy Juneteenth

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
Baked some scones, recipe from Mary Berry's Baking Bible:

And some clove-cinnamon-chocolate-pistachio cookies, recipe from The Cardamom Trail by Chetna Makan:

Nhilist
Jul 29, 2004
I like it quiet in here

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Crossposting from the smoking thread...

And yesterday I smoked a pork shoulder with oak and pecan. Had a real easy time maintaining temperature but the stall lasted a long, long time.

Edit: I also made beans, of course.

Happy Juneteenth

This is awesome, but yeah cut the understatement of "I made beans" I need elaboration because there is more going on than just beans. Fantastic stuff!

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It is basically pinto beans, yellow onion, garlic, habaneros and poblanos I grew and smoked, pasilla chilis (that's why it's so dark), paprika, cumin, epazote, lime juice, molasses, oregano, bay leaf, salt and pepper. I added some of the liquid from the pork dripping pan to give it a nice, meaty undertone.

I love chilis and rarely cook without them. I'll post my sopa Azteca the next time I make it.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Had a go at Kenji's method of vegan chorizo... threw it on tacos with salsa verde some leftover potatoes and some elotes.

Came out seriously good; though I didn't have tempeh or a bunch of different dried chiles so I just a chorizo spice blend.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Some decent recents:

Honey Pork with Charred Leek and Corn Salad, Citrus Soy Dressing.

Leg Of Lamb with Roast Squash Puree, Sprouts and Pepitas.

Memorial Day Ribs.

Skirt Steak.

Salmon, Potatoes, Peas and Sorrel Sauce.

Sesame Crusted Tuna, Noodle Salad, Ginger Lime Dressing.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Cavenagh posted:

Salmon, Potatoes, Peas and Sorrel Sauce.

Tell me more.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

emotive posted:

Had a go at Kenji's method of vegan chorizo... threw it on tacos with salsa verde some leftover potatoes and some elotes.

Came out seriously good; though I didn't have tempeh or a bunch of different dried chiles so I just a chorizo spice blend.

I made some for his vegan loaded queso a long time ago. The chorizo was by far the best part, and it freezes well!

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Shrapnig posted:

Tell me more.

The Sorrel sauce? Sweat off shallots, reduce a bit of pernod or vermouth, stir in a lot of shredded sorrel. Add cream and let it gently cook until the cream tastes sorrelly. Season. Sorrel has a strident citrus taste, like a tangerine spinning with a lemon, that doesn't linger too long on the tongue. There's a slight anise note too, feathery but it's there. The cream mellows that out. Unfortunately sorrel does have a tendency to turn brown when cooked. Blanching hasn't helped me yet.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I was a loving idiot and turned on the oven in summer, but I regret nothing.

chicken galantine stuffed with cornbread, taters, creamed spinach. Need to work on my spinach:bechamel ratio (although a significant amount of that sauce is parmesan cheese :ssh:)

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I made spaghetti sauce from scratch for the first time. With shameful store-bought garlic bread.

I also made black raspberry cobbler.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Good for you for branching out with the sauce, how'd it turn out? And hey, I cook in a really nice restaurant and I'm still happy to get down on some garlic bread from the store. That cobbler looks dope too, nothing's quite as summery to me as a good fruit cobbler or crisp, especially with some ice cream :3:.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Thoht posted:

Good for you for branching out with the sauce, how'd it turn out? And hey, I cook in a really nice restaurant and I'm still happy to get down on some garlic bread from the store. That cobbler looks dope too, nothing's quite as summery to me as a good fruit cobbler or crisp, especially with some ice cream :3:.

It was better than every restaurant sauce I've ever had except for a super expensive place around here. It was actually really easy. Maybe 10-15 minutes of active time and then I stirred it every 15 minutes for 2 1/2 hours.

The cobbler was good, but a little burnt. I'll get it right next time. Baking is way scarier than cooking.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It was better than every restaurant sauce I've ever had except for a super expensive place around here. It was actually really easy. Maybe 10-15 minutes of active time and then I stirred it every 15 minutes for 2 1/2 hours.

The cobbler was good, but a little burnt. I'll get it right next time. Baking is way scarier than cooking.

Bolognese was the first thing I learned, and I remember being blown away by how simple it was, yet still was really delicious. I always thought cooking was super tough, but it's really easy when it comes down to it. Glad the sauce turned out great man! Sprinkle some oregano, parmesan and mixed herbs on top to take it to the next level.

PS: That garlic bread looks fookin rancid.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I've had this same experience. I made some sauce recently with tomatoes and basil I grew and it was even better. Just amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
Entrecote with chili potatoes. Grilling season is good times.

Chili burger.