Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm going to guess Zyptexa/Olanzapine. That fits weight gain and dulled mind, even at low doses. I hate to think what it's like at higher doses.

Serious question, I thought Canada had "free" health care. How does one medication cost $500/mo there?

Was literally two posts ago not a clear enough explanation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Here's an article about how lovely drug pricing is in Canada, with a short bit about someone in a similar situation as that reddit poster - in her case she has coverage but only because the drugs are on an approved list: http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/this-is-why-canada-has-the-second-highest-medication-costs-in-the-world

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Just came back from the BWM capital of the US - Las Vegas. I only had two conversations about gambling, but one of them was particularly fine. The guy was telling me that "the trick to winning at Craps is to find a table with the right synergy and to leave it before the table cools off."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

theHUNGERian posted:

Just came back from the BWM capital of the US - Las Vegas. I only had two conversations about gambling, but one of them was particularly fine. The guy was telling me that "the trick to winning at Craps is to find a table with the right synergy and to leave it before the table cools off."

You laugh, but just switch "craps" with "tech sector ETF's" and that dude could be a finance correspondent for any major news source.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

theHUNGERian posted:

I was really excited to gamble the time I went to Vegas, but it was a huge disappointment for me. All the machines are just huge LCDs with buttons you push, and you don't use cash, you use vouchers you get at a machine. I ended up playing some electronic roulette for a few dollars. I'm sure there are ways to have more fun gambling there, but at least it was GWM.

We did play a lot of Sigma Derby at the MGM where we stayed though. That's an awesome giant electromechanical horse race machine that still takes quarters, and there are only 4-5 left of that in the world.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I still owe what I paid for my home 15 years later. Doesn't seem normal...

quote:

It is a mobile home. I paid about 35k and still owe about 35k. They tell me it's because of the type of loan it is but nothing else. I'm sure the interest rate is high my credit isn't great. Am I really this screwed or is there something wrong?

e: his only other thread involves discussing his estranged daughters and asking if it's normal for his 15 year old daughter who is "not the brightest tool in the shed" to be dating a 20 year old. A helpful redditor reassures him that a generation ago, it was normal for girls to be courting and getting married at this age so don't worry, she's physically mature and it doesn't make a difference whether she's dating a 15 year old or 20 year old :downs:

Enfys fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 10, 2017

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

theHUNGERian posted:

It's as valid as any advice about gambling, aside from "Only gamble money you are not afraid to lose." That advice is actually very good.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Enfys posted:

I still owe what I paid for my home 15 years later. Doesn't seem normal...

e: his only other thread involves discussing his estranged daughters and asking if it's normal for his 15 year old daughter who is "not the brightest tool in the shed" to be dating a 20 year old. A helpful redditor reassures him that a generation ago, it was normal for girls to be courting and getting married at this age so don't worry, she's physically mature and it doesn't make a difference whether she's dating a 15 year old or 20 year old :downs:

:psyduck:

Sounds like the apple didn't fall far from the tree.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I don't see the scam. Horribly convoluted identity theft? Potential kidnapping and rape? It just sounds like a weird old man she probably shouldn't work with because it won't be worth her time.

You don't get that the dollhouses don't exist and he's gonna take the money from the "sales" and disappear, leaving this girl to face the consequences from paypal and ebay?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Motronic posted:

You don't get that the dollhouses don't exist and he's gonna take the money from the "sales" and disappear, leaving this girl to face the consequences from paypal and ebay?

In which case she gives the money back and is out a bit of embarrassment and time, while he gains nothing. I can't imagine she would give him his cut before the buyer confirmed everything was in order - what is the angle here?

Is it impossible that it's just a weird guy with dollhouses who's making excuses to spend more time with some young girl he met at a bar?

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Once she makes the sale, he insists on cash payment before shipping.

Then cue next Reddit post. "old man scammed me and disappeared. Help me r/legal advice"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Alright, that makes more sense. The mistake was assuming she wouldn't pay him before the buyer confirmed receipt of the item.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
He probably wants her SSN to see if she's from a 'undesirable' part of the country.

He's just a weird old man. She shouldn't do it because it sucks selling poo poo for other people and 15% minus fees isn't worth the effort.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Yeah I took it as a given that the dollhouses don't exist, I'm just not sure whether the old man's primary hustle is running away with the cash or running away with the girl.

Content :v:

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/comments/6gai2x/first_home_as_an_investment/ posted:

Hello PFC. I have 2 options, buying a place to live in or buying one to rent out for it's benefits a little later down the line (if there are any). Ontario if it matters. Single income.

Option 1 - Buy house to live in, can't afford more than 185k. Therefore, small condo.. nothing fancy. Likely won't want to live there long which could result in me selling without having "got my moneys worth" out of it.

Option 2 - Buy a cheap but reliable place, rent it out and use the benefits from having such an asset/income to buy a bigger, better house in 3 or 4+ years... or less?

Here's my issues. My savings could get me 20% down no problem with some emerg funds to spare. But I max out at 185k because my single income is too low to be approved for more. So... My thoughts are in a couple years, income will have gone up a couple bucks an hour slightly increasing my reliable salary + my income overall would have gone up a bit from the profit off the rental (I understand it may not be much to start given all the things landlords pay for but whatever its more income..). So...if I have this house I'm renting under my belt, can that make me worth more? and/or worthy of more mortgage to buy a home I can live in? Currently I have zero options of increasing my income, I've tried a few things but nothing more than some extra pocket money is all I can get. NOTE: I could have this all wrong as I feel like buying a place to rent out could also be considered a big bad debt the banks see as a negative. Credit right now is considered "good" if it matters.

If anyone bought their first home as an investment, how well or unwell did that work for you? Also, yes being a landlord is a world of it's own, I know. I am prepared for that and have some experience in that arena thanks to my current career. Tips are still welcome!

For reference, Ontario is very tenant friendly and unless you live in some super rural setting, 200k won't buy poo poo. His understanding of things is so poor that this isn't even wrong :allears:

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

In which case she gives the money back and is out a bit of embarrassment and time, while he gains nothing. I can't imagine she would give him his cut before the buyer confirmed everything was in order - what is the angle here?

Is it impossible that it's just a weird guy with dollhouses who's making excuses to spend more time with some young girl he met at a bar?

He's asking for her ssn

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Senor Dog posted:

He's asking for her ssn

He can't give a quote for cost of materials because after the chloroform is administered everything else is labor costs.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Can't do too much with just a ssn.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

He probably wants her SSN to see if she's from a 'undesirable' part of the country.

He's just a weird old man. She shouldn't do it because it sucks selling poo poo for other people and 15% minus fees isn't worth the effort.

How would you determine this with an SSN, run a background check? Assume it's one of the old kind of SSN's that were sequential and prefixed with a location number and she never, ever moved after being born?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
Not from or living in Canada but this Canadian story is one of universal first-world BWM - bit long but worth the read:

https://thewalrus.ca/canadas-middle-class-is-on-the-brink-of-ruin/?src=longreads

Standout quote:

quote:

A bankruptcy lawyer I spoke with has helped clients in just this fix—clients such as the Toronto architect crushed by $105,000 in tax debt and $75,000 in credit card debt who still managed to vacation in the tropics four times a year with his wife. Or the divorced, ­self-employed Toronto chiropractor who made $4,900 a month and insisted that both her kids attend private school—until the Canada Revenue Agency froze her ­accounts.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

ate all the Oreos posted:

How would you determine this with an SSN, run a background check? Assume it's one of the old kind of SSN's that were sequential and prefixed with a location number and she never, ever moved after being born?

Yeah, SSN's used to be region specific.

It's a bad joke about an old guy who is probably biased against outsiders.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, SSN's used to be region specific.

It's a bad joke about an old guy who is probably biased against outsiders.

Oh I didn't even read it as a joke but as a matter-of-fact "the old man wants to see if they're black because he's a racist" statement since, well, that's a thing that happens all the time :sigh:

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Senor Dog posted:

He's asking for her ssn

He probably wanted her SSN to fill out her 1099 form at the end of the year.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Ixian posted:

Not from or living in Canada but this Canadian story is one of universal first-world BWM - bit long but worth the read:

https://thewalrus.ca/canadas-middle-class-is-on-the-brink-of-ruin/?src=longreads

Standout quote:

To Canadians: What are Canadian bankruptcy laws like? This seems like a cut and dried case, but I vaguely remember someone saying the laws there are much more strict.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Ixian posted:

Standout quote:

No, I'm pretty sure the standout quote is this game from the professional accounts:

quote:

“Rent, groceries—everything is costly,” says Kervin. “You get your paycheque, and you don’t know where it goes.”

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Randler posted:

No, I'm pretty sure the standout quote is this game from the professional accounts:

I breezed right past the fact that guy was (is) an accountant.

"Money...where does it go? Let's close the books and move on"

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
Same accountant from article:

quote:

But they’re still living very close to the wire. “I wouldn’t say it’s paycheque to paycheque,” says Kervin. But it is: the couple now nets $7,738 each month. ­After putting aside $100 for their children’s resp, half their income goes to pay for debts ($3,554), childcare ($800), and the ­Mazda and Toyota (leases, insurance premiums, and gas for the long commutes to work add up to about $1,600). The rest of the money goes toward such ­necessities as rent ($1,700), utilities ($400), and ­groceries ($600). Once all the bills are paid, the couple is left with a monthly surplus: two bucks.

Boggles the mind. It is difficult to feel sorry for people who put themselves squarely in the situation they are in.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

IIRC Blue Story was also an accountant.

"Please help my baby is dying."

Spend less on Star Wars toys.

"No."

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Moving to Perth, was she?
Yeah something along those lines, but Australia.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Crikey. The office whip-round for people leaving at my workplaces would result in enough for a nice dinner, not a new car. Where do you work, Goldman Sachs?
Haha, sorry I should have written "using the money towards a car". It was ~$250 all up.

Doc Hawkins posted:

"No."
Blue Story also thought she and her extremely neglectful partner had superior genes, thus it was vitally important for her to breed with him because the combination was awesome for the gene pool.

That was the point when I realised she was extremely delusional and just wanted attention. I miss BS :(

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 11, 2017

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!

https://www.reddit.com/r/FinancialPlanning/comments/6ggpea/financial_planners_how_do_you_value_clients posted:

As Financial professionals, how do you place a value, for reporting purposes, the horses clients own? Does it depend on the reason clients own horses? As pets, recreation or entertainment, business do you use different methods to value the horses?

As a liability?

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

Should reopen the thread and move it back here

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I think she was banned and all talk of her in BFC banned.

Good times.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I still get kind of excited thinking about the surge of rage and horror that poured through me the first time I stumbled that thread and read "force fridays" as a way to justify spending and had to look it up to make sure it was really a thing. Nothing has really landed on the popular psyche quite like that crazy lady.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Doc Hawkins posted:

"No."

quote:

-In May we are going to a Concert for Band A. I intend to purchase everything the merch booth has to offer.

It's 186 pages and no way am I reading the thread unless it is all pure gold, but where did she say she would not spend less on SW crap to help her baby?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

monster on a stick posted:

It's 186 pages and no way am I reading the thread unless it is all pure gold, but where did she say she would not spend less on SW crap to help her baby?

I went a few pages of just her posts from the beginning and end, it gets depressing when she gets gestational diabetes and has a very sick baby. It's not a feel good story of star wars merch and spending the rent on "the whole merch booth."

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe
thought of ants and
https://gfycat.com/QuaintDistortedEgg

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

curufinor posted:

thought of ants and

dude not cool

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Not ants, it got scared shitless from those straps you see hanging down between its rear legs. It kicked out backwards and hit its jockey bad in his leg.

A loose leather strap seriously injures a human, kills a six-seven figure race horse, and traumatizes all onlookers and a lot of forum posters.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

curufinor posted:

a horse actually dying

What the hell is wrong with you

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
was the horse's name Vlad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

ate all the Oreos posted:

What the hell is wrong with you
It's the horse that's got something wrong with it, from what I can see.