Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Asakusa is a nice area but it's not on the Yamanote line, which is the most convenient train line to stay near.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Yeah, that's why I was thinking Shinjuku.

I'd definitely want to check out Asakusa either way.

Hakone looks lovely. Currently looking up the various ryokan there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I stayed in Ikebukuro last time and it was decent. Low city eastern Tokyo is better than western though, so there's a trade-off.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Don't go to hakone. The volcano is still closed off and the cable car gets cut off. It's also way more expensive and mundane compared to other sites.

Are you traveling from Kyoto? You can stay in Atami or even the outskirts of Kyoto. Heck, if you like mountains, stay in Nikko, the history is better and there are 99999999 onsens to choose

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

caberham posted:

Don't go to hakone. The volcano is still closed off and the cable car gets cut off. It's also way more expensive and mundane compared to other sites.

Are you traveling from Kyoto? You can stay in Atami or even the outskirts of Kyoto. Heck, if you like mountains, stay in Nikko, the history is better and there are 99999999 onsens to choose

Oh? I was recommended to me by a friend who lives in Japan, but I'm happy to look at other options!

Probably Tokyo first, and then maybe Kyoto or Osaka?

I live in the prairies, so I do very much like mountains and have not visited a hot spring since a family trip to BC when I was 12.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hakone is nice if it's a clear day and you can see Fuji. If it's cloudy then you're just stuck in a summer cabin town.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Nessa posted:

Oh? I was recommended to me by a friend who lives in Japan, but I'm happy to look at other options!

Probably Tokyo first, and then maybe Kyoto or Osaka?

I live in the prairies, so I do very much like mountains and have not visited a hot spring since a family trip to BC when I was 12.

Telling you to go to Hakone is the same thing as telling you to go to Lake Louise/Banff when there are many other options. If you want to see Mount Fuji, might as well go to any of the 5 lakes of Fuji.

If you guys are on a budget, going to Kyoto is expensive and see if you can do a open jaw trip from Tokyo --> in. Osaka --> out

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Anyways, people in this thread have way more travel experience compared to the average Japanese person

caberham fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 7, 2017

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Hakone is just fine. Caberham is optimizing

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e6933.html

just read this poo poo and figure out what you want to do, it's better than any advice you will probably get ITT

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Well, if we're going in May, the Fuji Shibazakura Festival seems like a good place to hit up.

Is May a super popular vacation time? I was looking up hotel prices and kept bring told that that they had no rooms available for next May and to try March or June dates instead.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Nessa posted:

Well, if we're going in May, the Fuji Shibazakura Festival seems like a good place to hit up.

Is May a super popular vacation time? I was looking up hotel prices and kept bring told that that they had no rooms available for next May and to try March or June dates instead.

The beginning of May (lit. first week) is a popular holiday called 'Golden Week'. Outside of that first week should be fine in most normal cases though. Are you actually finding available spots in June? Many/most hotels don't let you book until about 6-months out, that might be the issue.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

DiscoJ posted:

The beginning of May (lit. first week) is a popular holiday called 'Golden Week'. Outside of that first week should be fine in most normal cases though. Are you actually finding available spots in June? Many/most hotels don't let you book until about 6-months out, that might be the issue.

I'm aware of Golden Week, so I was aiming for mid-late May.

It's probably that I'm just looking too far ahead then.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Looking ahead and prebooking is one thing, but do make sure that everyone is on board with your choices. Especially with your friend on a tight budget because you don't want to break on any eggs and tread carefully

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Oh, I'm not planning on doing any actual booking for quite a while. I just wanted to get a gauge on prices for different rooms at that time of the year, so we have an idea of what to expect and can plan accordingly.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

The onsens that are actually in Nikko are poo poo, and Kinugawa isn't particularly good either. There are some really loving good onsens in Oku-nikko and Oku kinugawa and Shiobara onsen, however.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

ntan1 posted:

The onsens that are actually in Nikko are poo poo, and Kinugawa isn't particularly good either. There are some really loving good onsens in Oku-nikko and Oku kinugawa and Shiobara onsen, however.

The onsen hipster.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Speaking of onsen, what would you say makes a "good" or "bad" onsen? I know some of them have different minerals in the water which changes their colour and stuff. Does that make a difference? What are the most important qualities in an onsen?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

ntan1 posted:

Is that why Kinugawa is still in tatters?

And I really like Chuzenji and Biwa

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I don't really care about the minerals in the water. I like a nice atmosphere and comfortable bath that doesn't feel crowded. Many of the Real Underground Onsen Water!!! baths I've been to stink like sulfur, or had some elements that felt nice on the skin but made the stone floor slippery af.
If it's a ryokan I'm there for the food.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
For water quality manza onsen is my favorite.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
manza is good. Kinugawa onsen really likes to put chlorine into their baths, and that's really a big nono for me.

And ya I like the Real Special Onsen Water places because a lot of them are quiet and owned by a small family and home cooking is really good cause I don't actually live in Japan. Also they often dont feel that crowded (let's be real, with people from mainland China and Korea but mostly China).

Every once in a while I find a place that has both amazing water and amazing food and then its like heaven.

The things that make an onsen good are the following:
1) Food
2) Service needs to be good but discreet. Doesn't mean expensive as I really like small family owned minshuku as well, and remember some of them really well.
3) Water quality (no chlorine is the main one, followed by water type which is really only for nerds) and rotenburo (and the nature that is around the rotenburo)
4) The extra thing - like "this place has 80 years of history and baths that date back to a long time ago, or has a beautiful rope bridge you can walk on, or isn't in a city with a lot of concrete etc."

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

zmcnulty posted:

So I've got mod permission to post about a new site I've launched: http://nomunication.jp
It's all about drinking in Tokyo. Not eating, sorry, only drinking.

Although the content should appeal to both residents and visitors, since this is the tourism thread I should give a special mention to the various guides I've written. The first is the bar FAQ which is a good place to start if you've never been in a stuffy cocktail bar, or drinking in Japan. There's also a bar genre guide to take you through the different you'll run across while here. I've also written a guide to the drinking laws (or the lack thereof) in Japan, and there's even a phrasebook for those with limited Japanese.

Let me know if there's something specific you want me to cover!

just wanted to say the FAQ and genre guide are super duper helpful. my wife and I leave for our first ever japan trip on Tuesday and this sort of low-key cultural stuff is incredibly great

thanks

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

ntan1 posted:

Shiobara onsen

I lived in Nasushiobara and can confirm that Shiobara onsens are amazing.

kenner116
May 15, 2009
Hey Japangoons, if I just fly into Osaka in a couple of weeks and walk into random sketchy buxibans or whatever they're called in Japanese is there a good chance I can find a (sketchy) teaching job pretty quickly? Summer vacation is on the way here in Taipei and I'm sweating as I type these words into the somethingawful.com forums as we speak. Looks like it's a sweet 10 degrees F lower in sunny Osaka this week compared to la isla Formosa so I'd like to upgrade 10 degrees latitude for a few weeks if possible.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Japanese summer is still hot af and I don't think it will be easy to find a dodgy eikaiwa without local help. You could look into summer camps but they usually still require a work visa.

http://www.english-adventure.org/index.php?PageId=21

quote:

If you can only obtain a tourist visa, we are happy to consider your application under our program for overseas volunteers.

English Adventure does not provide any assistance or sponsorship in obtaining any type of Japanese visas.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Unlike Taiwan, you can't just come to Japan on a tourist visa, get a job, and convert it to a work visa in-country (I'm pretty sure).

I just moved to Japan after six years in Taiwan, and I just loitered on the various job boards and spammed my resume to places. Took about two months to find a job and another month and a half to get the visa stuff sorted.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Moon Slayer posted:

Unlike Taiwan, you can't just come to Japan on a tourist visa, get a job, and convert it to a work visa in-country (I'm pretty sure).

I just moved to Japan after six years in Taiwan, and I just loitered on the various job boards and spammed my resume to places. Took about two months to find a job and another month and a half to get the visa stuff sorted.

Where in Japan are you again?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Kanazawa

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Moon Slayer posted:

This is wrong, if your COE comes in while you're in-country you can march over to immigration and get it converted.

It's only a problem if you can't "visa run" ie go in and out at will to reset the "clock" on your tourist visa. This tends to primarily be a problem with Chinese and Filipino nationals.

That having been said, just don't come to the attention of the MOJ if you're working illegally.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ok, thanks for correcting me.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
If I was a giant nerd, which I am, and wanted to experience the true madness of Tokyo Arcades, where would be some places to check out? (I've seen video of an initialD racing arcade machine where it was hydraulically linked to a Car and I want poo poo like that in my life)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
That Initial D machine is in Sega Joypolis in Odaiba. Prepare for massive queues. Shinjuku and Akihabara in general are good for arcades, and Anata no Warehouse in Kawasaki has a really cool aesthetic.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I recently saw a news blip about old school candy arcade games museum in an Itabashi, Tokyo shopping area, enjoy

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

*waits for the game centre hipsters to show up and humble brag about their secret Game Center in the middle of tottori*

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

peanut posted:

I recently saw a news blip about old school candy arcade games museum in an Itabashi, Tokyo shopping area, enjoy

Yeah, this place is pretty impressive, large selection of those old mechanical-style machines.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Solus posted:

If I was a giant nerd, which I am, and wanted to experience the true madness of Tokyo Arcades, where would be some places to check out? (I've seen video of an initialD racing arcade machine where it was hydraulically linked to a Car and I want poo poo like that in my life)

Akihabara has a bunch of arcades. I know one has a bunch of driving games there. The problem with modern Japanese arcades is the games are very geared towards Japanese people. Either you have a bunch of gambling like games or games where you collect cards and play with them. Not casual at all.

But there is one arcade in Akihabara which has a bunch of old school games and there are plenty of other arcades that should cover everything you want. You will most likely have to go somewhere a bit touristy to find games that would interest you.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Tokyo leisureland in Odaiba is a great 'casual' place with a bunch of special cabinets. What Ned says about typical arcades is true though, but if you find a Round1, they tend to have a good mix of games too. The problem there is that there's not much variety in that 'good mix' between locations. So if you've seen one, you've them all.

'Hipster' friendly places include HEY in akihabara, TRY amusement tower (also akihabara) and Mikado in Takadanobaba (best place for retro games).

On another note, if you're interested in (expensive as hell) VR experiences, there's the VR zone in Shibuya's Adores and a zombie shooting walk-around game in the aforementioned joypolis.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

DiscoJ posted:

Tokyo leisureland in Odaiba is a great 'casual' place with a bunch of special cabinets.
This only applies if you'll be in Japan before July 17, since they'll be closing it down after then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

leather fedora posted:

This only applies if you'll be in Japan before July 17, since they'll be closing it down after then.

That's a shame. I was hoping you meant the less interesting one inside Aqua City, but I guess the main one did start to feel kinda deserted in recent years.