Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I have no doubt many big name conservatives wish Hillary had won because they would have been able to profit off the outrage machine for 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Fulchrum posted:

Well if we're talking about far flung impossible hypotheticals here, sure. And if Wonder Woman and Captain America both become real and run as a joint ticket, they could change the race substantially too.

Isn't the propaganda engine currently saying he is passing tremendously wonderful things, and even if he isn't its all the democrats faults? They'd need to be able to acknowledge flaws of a member of their party in order to run against him.

Look, I'm progressive and think Republicans are evil and all, but I'm willing to admit some probably only rape adults, animals, and/or corpses.

And yep, they're still pretty much sticking to the "he's done more than almost any other new President." Which is true if you limit "doing more" to inept military action, scandal, embarrassment, and destruction of long-held international coalitions.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Quorum posted:

Honestly, I suspect a fair amount, though not all, of the support he's lost since January would come back in the face of the election. It might not be enough for him to win, but it wouldn't be as easy as it looks from here. Now, if the recession we have in the pipeline strikes between now and then, or he bungles a major natural disaster, he's hosed completely, as opposed to just facing a severe challenge.

even if he got the exact same vote total as the first election i have a very hard time believing that the opposition will let him win again

still don't think he makes it out of 2017 tho

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Look, I'm progressive and think Republicans are evil and all, but I'm willing to admit some probably only rape adults, animals, and/or corpses.

And yep, they're still pretty much sticking to the "he's done more than almost any other new President." Which is true if you limit "doing more" to inept military action, scandal, embarrassment, and destruction of long-held international coalitions.

These people hold his foreign trip, especially in the middle east as a massive success and are like he sure showed those diabolical globalists at the EU what for! He got all muslim nations to agree that terrorism is bad!

These are things I've heard people say and I die inside a little each time.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

JuniperCake posted:

These people hold his foreign trip, especially in the middle east as a massive success and are like he sure showed those diabolical globalists at the EU what for! He got all muslim nations to agree that terrorism is bad!

These are things I've heard people say and I die inside a little each time.

Unfortunately our dying on the inside piece by piece won't end until these people die on the outside in their entirety.

Edit: Though according to a lot of people in this thread I'm headed for the guillotine anyway, so maybe I should push for more gradual change.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I think the answer of why trump would get replaced by the republicans in 2020 would be answered by the fact his dumb old man mouth seems to be actually something no one can control instead of some planned out strategy and there is real nonzero odds that he eventually says something that is a scandal under the value system of republicans instead of just a scandal under the value system of normal people.

Like maybe he will, maybe he won't but anyone thinks that it's an impossible future that he starts getting in fights with his own base over things is crazy. If someone accused him of forcing him to get an abortion he'd go on national tv and argue he got 50 women to get abortions and no one has had more abortions than he has or something

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I have no doubt many big name conservatives wish Hillary had won because they would have been able to profit off the outrage machine for 4 years.

It's rumored that Alex Jones actually voted for Obama in 2012 for this very reason

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Unfortunately our dying on the inside piece by piece won't end until these people die on the outside in their entirety.

Edit: Though according to a lot of people in this thread I'm headed for the guillotine anyway, so maybe I should push for more gradual change.

Incrementalism won't do it. You can't "meet in the middle" with people who only care about disenfranchising you and entrenching their own power. You want fundamentally different things and ceding political capital to those people just empowers them. I don't think wishing for people's death is very constructive; though I understand the frustration that motivates that kind of thinking. I still wouldn't take out my anger on the people who are suffering, frustrated and don't know what to do though. They've been mislead by a powerful propaganda machine and it's the people who run it who deserve 100% of your ire. Let alone the republicans working so drat hard to make it so people can't vote.

I think 2018 and 2020 will definitely turn the tide. We have momentum and the people who dislike Trump are highly motivated in seeing him go along with the republicans who supported him. The question is, how long can we keep that momentum after 2020? Once Trump is gone will people still care enough to vote?

On a side note, I still really want to know what happens in a few decades when automation is refined to the point that almost all jobs are replaced. Maybe by then, some of these people will realize that no, big business does not have your back. If anything could completely dismantle the republican party, I suspect it would be that.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

empty whippet box posted:

Is there really nobody in the entire world they can hire who doesn't have ties to Russia? God drat I wish this poo poo would just loving blow up already, this poo poo is so utterly loving ridiculous. They're such a bunch of fuckups they literally can not get anyone to help them who is not bankrolled by Russians.

Well, Russia is full of oligarchs with dirty money who love to spend it in the West. GOP is full of sleazy businessmen who have no moral qualms dealing with those rich with money stolen off the Russian people....

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
How are these people this stupid

https://twitter.com/shsanders45/status/873524794557333504

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

is this a butt-tweet

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

skylined! posted:

is this a butt-tweet

A small group of people know exactly what she means.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

skylined! posted:

is this a butt-tweet

It's the non-Huckabee part of her soul trying to gain control of the flesh form.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I didn't get a chance to listen to a lot of the Comey testimony but I did catch McCain going full Abe Simpson and I still can't get over it. It was a depressing way to spend my lunch hour.

Seeing that dumb Trump Twitter avatar all the time reminds me of those Onion "What do You Think" things they run every day.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jun 10, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sinteres posted:

A small group of people know exactly what she means.

stop 9//

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Quorum posted:

Honestly, I suspect a fair amount, though not all, of the support he's lost since January would come back in the face of the election. It might not be enough for him to win, but it wouldn't be as easy as it looks from here. Now, if the recession we have in the pipeline strikes between now and then, or he bungles a major natural disaster, he's hosed completely, as opposed to just facing a severe challenge.

I am very sure there will be a huge recession in the next 18-24 months. The GoP rubber stamp has already begun pulling regulations that protected everyday citizens. For example the removal of contract oversight requiring past EEO issues to be disclosed however more recently the stripping of Dodd-Frank which was enacted due to the lack of oversight that lead to the crash in 2008- the more notable:

- Fiduciaries will no longer be required to work in their client's best interests.

- The CFPB will have its budget managed by Congress.

- Repealing the Volcker Rule (preventing banks from investing their coffers into high risk ventures as well as funds that would destabilize the market or present a conflict of interest)

Throw in how bad the ACA is looking, and how Trump has already stated he wants to remove the Alternative Minimum Tax I think it's highly likely we will have another crash.

On Friday when Congress voted the first steps to repeal Dodd-Frank, tech stocks fell and banking soared (leading to a very odd market close) and I have a feeling this is investors seeing that the banks are about to start bubbling- they're getting in with hopes to make a ton and pull out right before it crashes again.

This has been a cycle for every Republican president for half a century and it seems like the majority of the country doesn't see the pattern.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maybe she overdosed on medication and this is the last gasp of her dying brain?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

kartikeya posted:

My father has a form of dementia similar to Alzheimers (so far it's mostly eaten away at his vocabulary). Today we sat down and scrolled through various news articles that popped up on the feed on his computer, and discussed what he could understand of the contents of the ones that drew his attention. There was one on the UK election, and one on an adopted dog. At one point he pointed out Trump's picture. He can't remember Trump's name (names are really hard for him), and so Trump has been dubbed 'The Baby Man' since he began campaigning. He pointed out 'The Baby Man' and made an exasperated complaint that of course he was all over the news articles that he saw every day. He asked why 'The Baby Man' is still in charge, because my father might have a hard time understanding anything about politics these days, but he recognizes a stupid immature rear end in a top hat when he sees one and he's known exactly what Trump is since the beginning.

Sorry about your dad, and thanks for the story. "The Baby Man" seems like an appropriate substitution for a name.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Julian Assange also had a butt tweet

https://twitter.com/JulianAssange/status/873384949554061313

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

OhDearGodNo posted:

Throw in how bad the ACA is looking, and how Trump has already stated he wants to remove the Alternative Minimum Tax I think it's highly likely we will have another crash.

Eventually stuff like that leads to crashes but companies are going to make billions of dollars from this stuff in the short term.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Dude is probably pissed that Comey used an information release more effectively than Assange has ever dreamed

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

It's the non-Huckabee part of her soul trying to gain control of the flesh form.

Surely it would be quicker just to say her soul. :confused:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
So what does the Huckabee tweet MEAN though?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

-Dethstryk- posted:

Dude is probably pissed that Comey used an information release more effectively than Assange has ever dreamed

Twice!

ZobarStyl
Oct 24, 2005

This isn't a war, it's a moider.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If he did it: Our best attempt to explain why Trump's actions were actually good.

Since there's no way to know what was going on in Trump's head when he fired James Comey, the National Review has read his mind and fairly determined what his thought process totally was:

The best part of the article, to me, is this:

A fair point. Why shouldn't the FBI inform the public if someone isn't the subject of an open case to deter rampant speculation? Could anyone make a counterargument?

Conservatives just aren't cut out for the digital age of perfect, searchable memory. They're so used to writing utterly contradictory things then conveniently having them fade from view. It especially has to drive Trump insane that all of his normal tactics of bullying and gaslighting will have no utility in this arena.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

JuniperCake posted:

Incrementalism won't do it.
It was a joke about the folks in here who assume that anyone who is in the top few percent of income is automatically the enemy.

The part about change requiring old conservatives to die off, however, was not a joke. They can't be convinced otherwise and they vote.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

JuniperCake posted:

Incrementalism won't do it. You can't "meet in the middle" with people who only care about disenfranchising you and entrenching their own power. You want fundamentally different things and ceding political capital to those people just empowers them. I don't think wishing for people's death is very constructive; though I understand the frustration that motivates that kind of thinking. I still wouldn't take out my anger on the people who are suffering, frustrated and don't know what to do though. They've been mislead by a powerful propaganda machine and it's the people who run it who deserve 100% of your ire. Let alone the republicans working so drat hard to make it so people can't vote.

I think 2018 and 2020 will definitely turn the tide. We have momentum and the people who dislike Trump are highly motivated in seeing him go along with the republicans who supported him. The question is, how long can we keep that momentum after 2020? Once Trump is gone will people still care enough to vote?

On a side note, I still really want to know what happens in a few decades when automation is refined to the point that almost all jobs are replaced. Maybe by then, some of these people will realize that no, big business does not have your back. If anything could completely dismantle the republican party, I suspect it would be that.

All of this. Don't meet in the middle, cut hard left and shove it down their throats. If the ACA is any indication people will come around to liking it anyway.

Wishing for peoples deaths would absolutely be constructive, if only one could wish a reality, and targeted the propaganda machine and its parts and guides and beneficiaries. Can't do that though, so electoral action to marginalize their target base and thus them is the best alternative.

On the automation topic, what I want to know is how overstated AI taking over everything is. It'll be big enough to ravage huge sectors for sure, but other areas I'm more skeptical.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Her dog is trying to call for help.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

StrangersInTheNight posted:

https://twitter.com/SHSanders45/status/873548063973027840

:ms:

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I never would have thought the president of the USA being a mushbrained idiot was the existential thrill I needed, but apparently it is.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Fox news has dropped from the first most popular news channel to the third most popular, britebart has lost half it's traffic, 4chan has pretty much nonstop mad at trump now, the_donald can't get 24,000 people to click a link even though they appeared to have 400,000 users. Right wing media still exists but is in a tailspin right now with the messages it's trying to sell.

What's 4chan raging mad about at him?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

... her kid's name is Huck? That should be considered child abuse.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Wirth1000 posted:

What's 4chan raging mad about at him?

usa isn't the 4th reich yet

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
In another time line he appointed someone that destroyed anime and videogames and they were successful.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

PhazonLink posted:

In another time line he appointed someone that destroyed anime and videogames and they were successful.

You can't get rid of the bread and circuses of this age without dire consequences. Videogames and anime are the only things keeping the young passive.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Quorum posted:

like that flooding where the cleanup would require what, like 560 million dollars, and he offered 2 million. that one that has already happened?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

And she'll eventually be Spicer's replacement right? Lol
Oh what a lame excuse.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

mynnna posted:

On the automation topic, what I want to know is how overstated AI taking over everything is. It'll be big enough to ravage huge sectors for sure, but other areas I'm more skeptical.

It's hard to say for sure, but some corporations have been making great strides towards full automation. Amazon for instance is one of the biggest movers here. They already have some warehouses that are mostly robot run, a completely automated grocery store (use your phone to scan and pay for items), and don't forget their fleet of delivery drones. Add to that self-driving cars, user interfaces for business transactions replacing customer service people, and even niche stuff like automated routing systems for aircraft to replace traffic controllers. 3D printing is replacing skilled manufacturing jobs like metal workers. When your 3D printer can turn out extremely complicated metal parts that no human can possibly replicate then there is no way for a human employee to compete. There is even a 3D printer that can build an entire concrete house with just two people. You just put the printer on a truck and drive it to where you want to build the house.

Consider where we are at now compared to 30 years ago. Ultimately, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a sector that can't have a large amount of it's workforce replaced by automation. Jobs requiring high emotional intelligence and nuance like social workers probably have the best job security but who the gently caress even knows what's going to happen.

Don't get me wrong, there are still hurdles and more advancements needed before some of these technologies really take off but they are being aggressively pursued and they'll be out in force sooner rather then later. The question then remains what happens to the people who are out of a job as a result. Hell even if only half the jobs can be automated (and that is a very very conservative estimate) you can't just have half the work force jobless with our current system and have a viable state. Basic income would probably be the path of least resistance out of that problem but it's gonna have to be addressed one way or the other at some point.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

JuniperCake posted:

Consider where we are at now compared to 30 years ago. Ultimately, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a sector that can't have a large amount of it's workforce replaced by automation. Jobs requiring high emotional intelligence and nuance like social workers probably have the best job security but who the gently caress even knows what's going to happen.

I picked a loving great time to go back to school to become a social worker! :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Night10194 posted:

I picked a loving great time to go back to school to become a social worker! :unsmith:

Don't worry - while the work might be necessary and highly resistant to automation it still suffers from the fact that nobody wants to actually pay for you to do it.

• Locked thread