Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Esroc posted:

Just figured it out. I guess something is up with my USB cable. Dug out another one and it worked fine. Of course I'm a dumbass for wasting an hour and not trying the obvious and checking the cable first thing. Proceed with the pointing and laughing. I deserve it.

I always just blamed Kies when that abomination was around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

dissss posted:

There used to be a Chrome extension that would replace comments with random Richard Feynman quotes - was great while it worked.

I'd like one that did that but also automatically posted such quotes to sites that I visited. Would be good if it posted them in response to other people's comments so they couldn't figure out how it was an appropriate response to whatever they said.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Any fans of the Moto Z here? I'm looking at a decent deal for it but the enormous bezels and tiny battery are putting me off.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Any fans of the Moto Z here? I'm looking at a decent deal for it but the enormous bezels and tiny battery are putting me off.

Bull has one.

You won't find too many fans here because how good a phone it is depends heavily on how much you paid for it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, though mine is a Verizon one and I understand it stays more updated than the unlocked on (the Verizon one is on the May security update.)

It's a nice phone if you can get one for a decent discount. Same clean Moto software and the Moto mods are a good idea for an extended battery.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

No site should have ads, I'm entitled to free content.

I would pay $20/month for an ad-free internet, which could get distributed according to my page views. It's way more than advertising makes off me would have made off me if I didn't block their horrible poo poo. A big portion of the money paid by advertising buyers are scams anyway, the ads are viewed by bots or the numbers are made up. It's a rotten business that deserves to die.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Ola posted:

I would pay $20/month for an ad-free internet, which could get distributed according to my page views. It's way more than advertising makes off me would have made off me if I didn't block their horrible poo poo. A big portion of the money paid by advertising buyers are scams anyway, the ads are viewed by bots or the numbers are made up. It's a rotten business that deserves to die.

Good thing this was released, then.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Merkinman posted:

If Google was the only ad supplier and the internet consisted of 12 sites https://support.google.com/contributor/answer/7324995 I guess would buy it.

Ola fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 10, 2017

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.
Who makes relevant 5" mobiles anymore?

I had an HTC M7, and it was perfect for a number of years due to size, build quality, tensile strength, and screen quality. I "upgraded" to an iPhone 6 because it's of a similar size and quality, but I learned that it loves to get damaged easily.

So I did some research and bought myself an Xperia X Performance... and it sucks. It's too bulky, it's not waterproof like advertised, and worst of all, the sides are plastic! Awful.

I found out about the OnePlus X and turns out it's like two years old at this point and I'd rather not get something irrelevant. It looks absolutely perfect though!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The Xiaomi Redmi 4 Prime seems to be the best deal for a 5" phone, but if you're willing to accept slightly larger dimensions in exchange for an actual warranty and software updates outside of Asia, there are lots of options. Adjust your max dimensions in the url as you please.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

The Merkinman posted:

I suppose I'll give the new one a shot, but I really preferrred the original version of Google Contributor. The substantially-decreased number of sites it works on is definitely going to work against it.

Edit: Jegus cripes, it looks like I can only enable it on /four/ sites. Yeah, this ain't going to cut it.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 10, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

OnePlus finally confirms no Nougat update for the OnePlus 2
http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-confirms-no-android-nougat-update-oneplus-2-779029/amp/

https://blog.oneplus.net/2015/07/ahead-of-its-time-2016-flagship-killer/

"2016 flagship killer" doesn't get the Android OS that came out in 2016.

Do 👏 not 👏 buy 👏 a 👏 OnePlus 👏 phone

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Reacon posted:

I had an HTC M7, and it was perfect for a number of years due to size, build quality, tensile strength, and screen quality. I "upgraded" to an iPhone 6 because it's of a similar size and quality, but I learned that it loves to get damaged easily.

So I did some research and bought myself an Xperia X Performance... and it sucks. It's too bulky, it's not waterproof like advertised, and worst of all, the sides are plastic! Awful.

I found out about the OnePlus X and turns out it's like two years old at this point and I'd rather not get something irrelevant. It looks absolutely perfect though!

Lucky you, the Google Pixel is the best phone and is 5 inches

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Lucky you, the Google Pixel is the best phone and is 5 inches

I love my Pixel but if an iPhone 6 is too easily damaged the Pixel is out too.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Reacon posted:

I believe your options for decent 5" phones are a Pixel or an iPhone. I chose a Pixel. Godspeed.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My regular sized Pixel (yes I have more than one, we've been over this, thread) is in a Spigen Neo Hybrid case and that thing is a tank now. I highly recommend it for a smaller phone!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

http://www.androidauthority.com/oneplus-confirms-no-android-nougat-update-oneplus-2-779029/amp/

lollin'

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not sure what the issue is here. Just buy a OnePlus 3T and you're good to go! It's only $400!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

CLAM DOWN posted:

Not a problem! Just head over to XDA and download the latest Lineage OS and

quote:

LineageOS will often merge Google's monthly security patches into their ROM and quickly push these updates out to their users. This will update the security patch level in settings and give users a sense of security. The disturbing truth is that very few of Google's security patches are actually being applied to the device. In the case of LineageOS, it is the responsibility of the device maintainer to fix security holes. According to LOS' CVE tracker, they don't always do a very good job. A few devices have a very high percentage of fixes applied. Others, however, have applied less than 20% of Android security patches to their builds.

In other words, while your device may be reporting that it has the latest security patches, you could still be vulnerable to dozens of security holes publically disclosed several years ago. Some of which could be very severe RCEs and privilege escalations.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/6g9imm/the_issue_of_security_in_lineageos/

Oh...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

People who have trouble mustering the difference between $400 and $800 on a 12-18 month interval probably don't stand to lose much from a stolen bank login because even the newest Vietnamese scriptlord knows you can't drain an overdrawn bank account.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

People who have trouble mustering the difference between $400 and $800 on a 12-18 month interval probably don't stand to lose much from a stolen bank login because even the newest Vietnamese scriptlord knows you can't drain an overdrawn bank account.

Maybe not in absolute terms but as a percentage of their total assets...

Reacon
Feb 17, 2013

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua.

LastInLine posted:

I love my Pixel but if an iPhone 6 is too easily damaged the Pixel is out too.

The video I just saw from JerryRigEverything contradicts that...

Well, we'll see because I think it'll be my next phone. Once again, it's bigger than I want, but it seems I can't really decrease size these days without going into "budget" quality.

Thanks for suggesting the Pixel, guys. I honestly thought it was made of plastic so I omitted it from consideration...

EDIT: Actually, gently caress. I'm getting a Mi 6 when it releases. That thing looks like an Android in an iPhone body with durability, which is exactly what I need. RIP my wallet.

Reacon fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 11, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
A while back I bought a PDIM from a Camaro in order to get media Bluetooth capability in my 2011 Cruze. It never worked perfectly, but lately it's gotten worse and worse. Plus, the stereo no longer recognizes my iPod Classic. Any reason not to get some sort of after-market head unit? I looked at Android Auto-capable ones and they start at like $400, so that's a no. Would a standard aftermarket unit have more reliable BT?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I've had no bluetooth issues with the extremely cheap JVC unit the dealer put in my fathers car (was a Japanese import so it originally had a unit that couldn't display english)

That said the rest of the unit is kinda crappy with a lovely resistive touch screen an a UI that looks like a bad 90s Winamp skin so I wouldn't cheap out too much..

I also had no issues with the Jabra Streamer thing (connects to the aux port to enable bluetooth) in my old car - worked fine once you got used to switching input to make/receive a call

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I have a a single din with a USB port that I plug a Bluetooth dongle into that then runs a cable into the aux port which works perfectly. This is p much the worst possible setup so I would image anything is gonna be better than what you have

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I don't need a touchscreen unit, but it would be nice to be able to continue using my steering wheel controls, if that's possible.

Edit: Is there a better thread for this?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

If you go to crutchfields website they will filter their products by what fits your car and you can filter by what amenities like whell controls work. Then you can buy it somewhere else because they are overpriced

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Maybe in ai?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

hooah posted:

I don't need a touchscreen unit, but it would be nice to be able to continue using my steering wheel controls, if that's possible.

Edit: Is there a better thread for this?

There used to be a car audio thread, but I couldn't find it a few weeks ago when I was looking for it. Try the stupid questions thread in AI.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Ask Us About Car Audio, Part 4: Ask Harder

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Wife keeps getting on me to get a case for my new pixel XL. I've never had a screen break on me, ever, and some videos I saw of questionable veracity suggested it was decently water resistant.

Is it dumb to not put it in a case or protector of some kind?

If so, what's good for it? It's a behemoth already, I balk at the idea of throwing more bulk onto it.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Honestly, for a device as expensive as the Pixel XL, yeah I'd say it's pretty dumb to not put it in a case. There are a lot of minimal, thin, good looking cases out there.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Caseology and Spigen are the two that are most recommended in the thread. I opted for the Spigen because reviews of the Caseology said the neat pattern on the back didn't stand out as much in real life as it does in the pictures.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I like Caseology and Spigen both quite a lot. For thin cases the Spigen Thin Fit can't be beat [though I did drop my S8+ from about 5 feet onto slate floor and broke it the other day :( ] and pretty much all Caseology cases are nice.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Adding Diztronic to that list (they're very plain but cheap and high quality) and that's probably the trifecta of goon case recommendations. Personally I've been using Spigen Neo Hybrids on all my phones for a while now, I think they look fantastic.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tell your wife to mind her own goddamn business.

-Posted from my caseless Pixel XL

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The Pixel ain't exactly a looker so you really don't lose anything by putting it in a case.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Incessant Excess posted:

The Pixel ain't exactly a looker so you really don't lose anything by putting it in a case.

I just don't want to add bulk to it. annoying enough to port something about bigger than my Nintendo DS.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Pander posted:

Wife keeps getting on me to get a case for my new pixel XL. I've never had a screen break on me, ever, and some videos I saw of questionable veracity suggested it was decently water resistant.

Sever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
My phone is huge, gold, and caseless.