Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

MikeC posted:

Not all cruisers are good at it. Its the rapid fire assholes like the UK line that give DDs the scares. NO seems to be a slow firing cruiser. They are not DD hunters at all.

Yeah I once ended up kiting a Khaba in my NO. He had the heal and I was at 30kish health, and in fires and HE damage even with him chasing me and me kiting/peppering fire, he dealt 22k damage. I dealt about the same to him, only just killing him.

Then again, the Khaba is cancer and those 50mm plates of armor are giant middle fingers to 203mm HE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Got the B hulls for Bismarck and Hipper. Feels nice to be not constantly cranking the helm.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

MikeC posted:

Not all cruisers are good at it. Its the rapid fire assholes like the UK line that give DDs the scares. NO seems to be a slow firing cruiser. They are not DD hunters at all.

UK cruisers and the Chapayev/Kutuzov are probably the scariest ships to run across. The Russians are usually worse since they can fling out a lot of HE quickly and will probably break everything, set you on fire and deal 1/3 of your health in a salvo.
US cruisers have Radar going for them though.

JacksLibido
Jul 21, 2004

CitizenKain posted:

UK cruisers and the Chapayev/Kutuzov are probably the scariest ships to run across. The Russians are usually worse since they can fling out a lot of HE quickly and will probably break everything, set you on fire and deal 1/3 of your health in a salvo.
US cruisers have Radar going for them though.

It would be nice if they could radar then demolish though, right now it's radar and get hosed, or radar and hope your team kills the dd... though I really only think it's the Russian DD's that are truly evil. The Japanese and MOST of the US ones aren't too bad, and I hardly ever see the German ones.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
The NO has time for like three salvos while the radar is active and 203mm HE is pretty anemic against DD's. IJN cruisers do sorta okay with it because they have literally a dozen tubes and better damage per shell, but the US 203mm cruisers (except the Des Moines) kinda struggle. The NO's radar is better used against British cruisers - if you're gonna radar a DD you'd better have backup. The Baltimore does a lot better if you have the reload module, but it's still not great at it. The Chapayev does about as much damage per radar activation despite it lasting like 15 seconds less.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Blindeye posted:

Yeah I once ended up kiting a Khaba in my NO. He had the heal and I was at 30kish health, and in fires and HE damage even with him chasing me and me kiting/peppering fire, he dealt 22k damage. I dealt about the same to him, only just killing him.

Then again, the Khaba is cancer and those 50mm plates of armor are giant middle fingers to 203mm HE.

Tier 8 v Tier 10?

It's a very, very brave Khaba that gets into a kiting game with a Tier 10 cruiser, poo poo, the Henry IV will actively be almost as fast as you and as for getting that close to a Zao? It won't end well. Oh you will get some decent players who will be WASD hacking but I'm sure they won't be doing much damage to you as you poo poo rail gun HE at them constantly, especially if you actively aim for the engine and rudder.

Just don't charge into smoke unless you know they have just fired their torps and they are there alone, and avoid getting trapped in island groups, that's 95% of DD hunting.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Burt posted:

Tier 8 v Tier 10?

It's a very, very brave Khaba that gets into a kiting game with a Tier 10 cruiser, poo poo, the Henry IV will actively be almost as fast as you and as for getting that close to a Zao? It won't end well. Oh you will get some decent players who will be WASD hacking but I'm sure they won't be doing much damage to you as you poo poo rail gun HE at them constantly, especially if you actively aim for the engine and rudder.

Just don't charge into smoke unless you know they have just fired their torps and they are there alone, and avoid getting trapped in island groups, that's 95% of DD hunting.

Oh in general it's an awful idea for a DD, but in the time it took for me to kill a Khaba even in a favorable scenario for a cruiser he lit four fires in that time and tons of HE damage. I was really kind of stunned.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
WG should just remove manual dropping from all carriers or something because it's some complete loving bullshit.

A Kaga first smacked my Bismarck with DBs that did several thousand damage and set three fires. He was also holding his TBs back to wait for me to pop DC. So at that point my choices were to either wait and burn to death in short order (three fires do a lot of damage), or pop DC and hope for the best. I chose the latter and the guy hit me with a 100% undodgeable cross drop (while his TBs gave zero shits about my AA) and I died.

There was absolutely not a goddamned thing I could've done to save myself in that situation. Yay for fun and challenging gameplay.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Nordick posted:

(while his TBs gave zero shits about my AA) and I died.

Not sure whats happening here but I won't take my Ryujo planes anywhere near a Bismarck unless I have literally nothing else to attack.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
I've been out of the game for a while, but I'm just about to get a Neptune! :toot:

How does it compare to the Edinburgh and how can I get the most out of it? Any build suggestions?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

kaesarsosei posted:

Not sure whats happening here but I won't take my Ryujo planes anywhere near a Bismarck unless I have literally nothing else to attack.
I did shoot down a few of them but that didn't deter them from loving me up. :shrug:

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Soup Inspector posted:

I've been out of the game for a while, but I'm just about to get a Neptune! :toot:

How does it compare to the Edinburgh and how can I get the most out of it? Any build suggestions?

Like the Edinburgh but don't ever try to fight outside of your smoke, anything with 203mm and bigger can and will delete you.
Also spam torpedoes all the time.

Compared to the Edinburgh you have much more damage potential but you pay for it with terrible survivability: concealment and citadel volume.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Krogort posted:

Like the Edinburgh but don't ever try to fight outside of your smoke, anything with 203mm and bigger can and will delete you.
Also spam torpedoes all the time.

Compared to the Edinburgh you have much more damage potential but you pay for it with terrible survivability: concealment and citadel volume.

I'm used to getting deleted outside of smoke since generally everyone in the entire hemisphere aims at me as soon as I leave it. :saddowns:

Though I have to admit I'm kind of curious how to spend time between smokes, then - I doubt islands afford enough shelter to be worth hiding behind...

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Speaking of the kaga, I just realized that ship requires dogfighting expert the most. Why? Because one must remember that the tiering is based on the planes themselves. That means that kaga's tier 6 planes can get a +30% damage buff while dealing with any of saipan's planes. And the chances of them meeting is pretty high as they are both tier 7.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

I should warn you that I am probably going to get some pushback on this, as I am pretty sure it is an unconventional build that nonetheless worked for me, but your milage may vary and you may hate it, but I put the max gun range mod on the Neptune and I quite enjoyed it. You can push about 18km on your guns, plunge-fire into the decks of just about everything, and while that will increase your detection range to 18km, hardly anything can hit you past about 15 or so, and even if they do target you, that'll likely be a lot of damage that could go to your team that is wasted missing you.

Basically it's taking advantage of the playerbase's "RN cruiser: must kill!" tendencies and exploiting it. It also makes up fro the RN's generally below-average firing range, and gives you more opportunists to shoot.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

I'm used to getting deleted outside of smoke since generally everyone in the entire hemisphere aims at me as soon as I leave it. :saddowns:

Though I have to admit I'm kind of curious how to spend time between smokes, then - I doubt islands afford enough shelter to be worth hiding behind...

Hide behind islands, its totally worth it, or drift in circles out in the open as everyone takjes shots at you and probably misses.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Weekend players.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Rorac posted:

I should warn you that I am probably going to get some pushback on this, as I am pretty sure it is an unconventional build that nonetheless worked for me, but your milage may vary and you may hate it, but I put the max gun range mod on the Neptune and I quite enjoyed it. You can push about 18km on your guns, plunge-fire into the decks of just about everything, and while that will increase your detection range to 18km, hardly anything can hit you past about 15 or so, and even if they do target you, that'll likely be a lot of damage that could go to your team that is wasted missing you.

Basically it's taking advantage of the playerbase's "RN cruiser: must kill!" tendencies and exploiting it. It also makes up fro the RN's generally below-average firing range, and gives you more opportunists to shoot.

That sounds quite interesting to me - admittedly I'm probably already doing it wrong since I've slapped concealment upgrades and such on my Neptune (10.1km detection range!). Sad I can no longer stealth torp like I could on the Edinburgh though. I might give it a shot once I'm no longer dirt poor.

Polyakov posted:

Hide behind islands, its totally worth it, or drift in circles out in the open as everyone takjes shots at you and probably misses.

Gotcha. I must be the unluckiest man alive since as a general rule either enough of the enemy team focuses on me that it doesn't matter if individually they're crap shots or I end up being targeted by people who can actually aim worth half a drat.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Rorac posted:

Bonus feature: You can have 18 salvos in the air while waiting for the first one to land.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

That sounds quite interesting to me - admittedly I'm probably already doing it wrong since I've slapped concealment upgrades and such on my Neptune (10.1km detection range!). Sad I can no longer stealth torp like I could on the Edinburgh though. I might give it a shot once I'm no longer dirt poor.

Gotcha. I must be the unluckiest man alive since as a general rule either enough of the enemy team focuses on me that it doesn't matter if individually they're crap shots or I end up being targeted by people who can actually aim worth half a drat.

Concealment upgrades are absolutely useful. You may not be able to stealth torp, but with a concealment captain and the upgrade, you are still one of the most stealthy high tier cruisers. Concealment is the correct choice, since sometimes you'll need to bail out of a fight and stealth up, and doing so at 10km is better than doing it at 12-13km.

As for the second part: that is part of the territory as playing an RN cruiser. Assume that the entire enemy team will be shooting at you if anybody can see you, and plan accordingly. A non-trivial part of figuring out the line is understanding how to position yourself so that the fewest number of enemies can attack you, and knowing when you can shoot your way out of a bad situation vs running from a bad situation.

One last thing: While I recommend the range upgrade for the Neptune, I do not recommend it for the Minotaur. The reload speed upgrade is better.

Rorac fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 10, 2017

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
Lost 5 in a row in Moskva and Zao and every one of them a loving curbstomp. The lowest I finished on any match was 3rd so it can't be me right? Its unbelievably frustrating playing with these cunts at the weekends.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
LoL, watching Aerroon rage about Saipan

edit: basically the Saipan divisioned with a T8 Amagi and Hipper to avoid T10 match making for them.

MikeC fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 10, 2017

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Leningrad & Perth available... should I?

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Evil_Greven posted:

Perth is a big fat do not buy. It is a british cruiser with an australian commander and a terrible gimmick for the smoke generator. It puffs for over a 1 minute. Except each puff lasts 10 seconds. So you get to hang out with your dick in the breeze the entire time it is on cooldown. Unlike other ships where some of the cooldown time is you hanging out in the cloud you just made.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

MikeC posted:

LoL, watching Aerroon rage about Saipan

edit: basically the Saipan divisioned with a T8 Amagi and Hipper to avoid T10 match making for them.
I hope this (queuing with a CV 1 tier below yours to get better MM) becomes more popular and more people do it because it's a thing that only works if 1 div is doing it. Once you get 2 or more divs doing this and queuing at the same time they can get up-tiered and screwed.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Evil_Greven posted:

Perth is useful for nothing other than grinding cash and free exp as it has a Commonwealth Captain that can go in no other ship, like the Polish Blas. Unlike the Blas, the Perth is kind of pants.

Leningrad is just :rice:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Evil_Greven posted:

Going to confirm Leningrad is the complete embodiment of :rice: I like it a lot. It can't contest caps or stealth torp very well (at least not until I get concealment expert on it), but it's a dragster with rail guns that set a fair amount of fires and can punish BBs with AP as well.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Just lost a game that came down to two BBs. One was AFK. The other was a Yamato. He hid behind a rock the whole match. I looked up his stats and he averaged 20k damage in the Yamato. I don't even know how that's possible. I'm pretty sure you could do better just driving straight towards the enemy spawn and never firing your primaries.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Since we are on Neptune chat, and im about halfway through the Edinburgh, whats the typical detection range for a Neptune assuming CE, 3% camo, and the tier VIII module?

Obviously I would love to be able to put the RoF upgrade on it, but the stock range looks pretty bad for that tier.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Stock range is fine, your shell velocity is very awful so you cannot really hit stuff at extended ranges anyway so the range extension is of questionable use.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

What everyone else said about the Leningrad, plus be aware that it works best with a dedicated captain. The turrets don't turn very quickly so it benefits greatly from Expert Marksman, a skill that no other Russian DD above tier V needs. If you're lucky enough to have a Gremy it uses the exact same captain build.

Also don't take Expert Marksman over Last Stand. Take Last Stand, then go up to Concealment Expert, then when you hit 12 points get EM.

Trillhouse posted:

Just lost a game that came down to two BBs. One was AFK. The other was a Yamato. He hid behind a rock the whole match. I looked up his stats and he averaged 20k damage in the Yamato. I don't even know how that's possible. I'm pretty sure you could do better just driving straight towards the enemy spawn and never firing your primaries.

:laffo: That's like 1-2 Yamato volleys. I guess he fires twice per match then goes to jerk off.

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh
I have a 19pt Gremy captain, I feel like it's time to buy a Leningrad.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

mik posted:

I have a 19pt Gremy captain, I feel like it's time to buy a Leningrad.

Very much so. Frequently you get the same 5-7 MM as gremy, but you are EVEN FASTER and have more torps and guns.

After finally making it to Des Moines I love it so so much. Surprising another cruiser around an island is just flat out guaranteed death if they're broadside. Chunk out 15k volleys every 5 seconds, or 5k HE volleys on DDs. After the slower firing cruisers it's just so great.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Lost a duel against Moskva in my Henri IV because Moskva set me on fire 4 times while RNG gave me 0 fire. :argh: And lost a game of Epicenter despite capping all 3 zones because we were behind on points. Last remaining Hindenburg chose to run to the edge of map and my booster was on cooldown :smith:

Also what's up with players shooting Henri IV out of all the targets available (hell, some of them are broadsided)? I get locked by 3~6 players all the time with nonstop 'Incoming' alert :stare: It's not like they'll hit me because I'm going fast, but it makes my play passive because of how many shells are flying at me.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
I've discovered that Khabarovsk murders Akizuki rather easily, even if I jump it.

A third of my shots just didn't penetrate the hull even with IFHE.

Akizuki is so hosed all the time since stealth fire removal. I want to like it but ugh.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 11, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Evil_Greven posted:

I've discovered that Khabarovsk murders Akizuki rather easily, even if I jump it.

A third of my shots just didn't penetrate the hull even with IFHE.

Akizuki is so hosed all the time since stealth fire removal. I want to like it but ugh.

Khabarovsk murders literally every DD.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

El Disco posted:

Khabarovsk murders literally every DD.
Khabarovsk murders everything, even CA/BB. The only time Khabarovsk has hard time is against Hindenburg or IFHE Henri IV (if they can hit you), but then you can always stop firing, pop heal then go back to kiting.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
I see... that is unfortunate.

I did about 13k with 40/64 hits while he did 23k in the same time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Akizuki is going to seriously struggle against a Gearing or a Z-52 as well, simply because you're two tiers below them. Hell, even a Shimakaze may give you some trouble. This isn't to say the Khabarovsk isn't a broken piece of poo poo, but an Akizuki not faring particularly well against T10s isn't exactly unusual.

Not to say it can't beat them in a gun duel, just that even if you get the drop on them (which is unlikely against a Gearing or Shima since they've got the same detection you do, and the Z-52 is only slightly higher) you'll generally need some luck, and/or lovely play by them, to beat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Just unlocked the Roon and boy is it a joy to play. With the reload mod, its 1 more gun with half the reload time and I can actually angle and still get all guns in action.