Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Can I set my Bitcoin rig to mine for Switches instead of Bitcoins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Shantae is fun. I like the music.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Amazon Canada has generously dropped the Mario price to $97.75 for the deal of the century! Pokken meanwhile is $100. Xenoblade 2 is the standard, but still horrible, $80 so I think these prices might be intentional.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Tender Bender posted:

It makes me sad that Platinum was on a great run and when they finally made a bad game it was Legend of Korra.

Yeah, Transformers and MiM ended up being experimental and good, but I've been playing Korra recently and it's just pretty bland. And the things they did to try and vary up the gameplay are just sorta lame without much to sink my teeth into. Korra is their only game that earns a "generic platinum" title for me so far, even if that still means the game is a cut above most other license games.

Zelder posted:

Anarchy reigns was a bad game

I'll never get to know, because I didn't get into the multiplayer in time. From the outside it seemed okay, but a fighting/competitive game needs some activity to let the depth shine...something that a platinum multiplayer game can probably never get. :(

TurtleRock
Nov 16, 2015

Blue shells are my woes

Al Borland Corp. posted:

ARMS comes out next Friday and has been getting positive reviews across the board, averaging about an 8.

If it were an rt type aggregation it would be around 95%(honestly I'm surprised such a thing doesn't seem to exist)

Every game would get 98% and "fresh" if they tried to do this with video games due to how awful score inflation is in this industry. Unless you changed it so that anything below an 8 is considered "bad" but that's exactly how things are now anyway.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Ventana posted:

Yeah, Transformers and MiM ended up being experimental and good, but I've been playing Korra recently and it's just pretty bland. And the things they did to try and vary up the gameplay are just sorta lame without much to sink my teeth into. Korra is their only game that earns a "generic platinum" title for me so far, even if that still means the game is a cut above most other license games.

You're the only person I've seen who said MiM was good. What was good about it? I don't know much about it except for the negative reception it received.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Imagined posted:

Shantae is fun. I like the music.

Shantae is teaching me I am awful at 2D platformers :(

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jables88 posted:

I'm assuming he means a Rotten Tomatoes style system where reviews are grouped as simply 'Good' or 'Bad'.

So if a game got all 8/10 reviews, it'd rate as 100% 'Fresh' even though it received no perfect scores.

Yeah that's what I mean. Most outlets stopped inflating game scores a couple years ago but people still have a mentality that anything less than 9/10 must be a bad game.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Wendell posted:

Amazon Canada has generously dropped the Mario price to $97.75 for the deal of the century! Pokken meanwhile is $100. Xenoblade 2 is the standard, but still horrible, $80 so I think these prices might be intentional.

i got mario for $50 on walmart.ca

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Ventana posted:

I'll never get to know, because I didn't get into the multiplayer in time. From the outside it seemed okay, but a fighting/competitive game needs some activity to let the depth shine...something that a platinum multiplayer game can probably never get. :(

Don't worry you ain't missing much

Wendell
May 11, 2003

murked by dragon posted:

i got mario for $50 on walmart.ca

Now that's a proper price! All sold out, of course.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, I had issues buying mine in Germany but now I need to sell it

Try the internet

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ventana posted:

To be fair; the Activision games were pretty obviously a quick paycheque for Platinum while they were working on Nier Automata and burning money on Scalebound.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

FirstAidKite posted:

You're the only person I've seen who said MiM was good. What was good about it? I don't know much about it except for the negative reception it received.

I could write a lot about the specifics on the game, but I'll try to summarize the main points for why I think there is a big gap in personal perspectives:

1. I put MiM in the same category of game like Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles or Zelda: Four Swords Adventures, aka Games that were made for a close-together Multiplayer experience + a tacked on Single Player that awkwardly gets the gist. Most accounts and reviews I've seen from researching on the internet are from people playing only/mostly the single player, but little to no multiplayer coverage. Where as I've spent a large chunk of my time with the game in multiplayer.

For my own anecdotal story of the game, I was initially excited when a friend told me the premise of the game before it came out. After it came out, I didn't have time to play it, but my friend went through the single player. He recounted to me that the game sucked, for a lot of the reasons that everyone seemed to say online, and I was bummed. We still eventually played through the multiplayer, and we ended up having a blast, my friend saying that the game felt totally fine when he played with me. We did several playthroughs, and in time we pulled in more friends who were also initially wary of the game, and they liked the game a lot as well.

To contrast to the above, I eventually started digging into the single player myself. I still liked the experience, but definitely could see that it was lacking a lot of the depth and details from the multiplayer runs (in case people didn't already know, the game significantly changes the missions depending on how many human players are in your party).

As someone who is fond of the single player campaigns of FFCC/FSA/MiM, I think the disconnect in opinions is pretty clear. The single player is an attempt to stitch together main mechanics of the co-op in some hobbled way to let people enjoy the game. You still can enjoy the strengths of these games, but it helps a lot to already understand what is being sacrificed from the co-op runs where main mechanics are changed and take that into perspective.

To be clear, I mean playing MiM with a friend over voice chat (since there is no local co-op). Random people can join your lobbies in the game and play w/o voice, and that happened to my group a couple of times early on and was still pretty fun. But it was always better when everyone could talk and you could coordinate more directly.

2. The game itself has really experimental design decisions for a platinum game. Randomized missions for each stage, lots of randomization in drops, and the randomization of Secret bosses appearing are all not the norm for a platinum game. Transformers did have random loot, but it wasn't to the level of what MiM has imo. Then there's the numerous co-op designs, the changed nature of perfect dodges, the level structures switching between free-roam exploring to linear levels, the mission structure in general; it's all so different from a normal platinum game that it feels weird.

Personally, I'm a big fan of trying out weird/experimental games and love it seeing them pan out, so I can fully admit on this aspect I'm biased. My other friends, who like the game as well, are not as big fans as I am since they think the game is a bit too weird. I can live with that.

3. Straight up, a lot of reviews and accounts I've seen...just get some basic facts of the game wrong? Usually about the mission structure, the upgrading mechanics, the cooldown-based ability systems, or the dodging mechanic designs. I kinda chalk it up to the fact that it's a lot more clear when exploring the game in co-op and these things are emphasized more, but you can kinda speed by everything in single player and not notice it deeply.

For a while, I was trying to spread the game to my friends and got a fair number of people into playing the game so we could do group runs occasionally, and things usually worked well. But since the game got delisted due to license issues, now it's one of those experiences that, while I personally find it really fun and rewarding, is just gonna be difficult to setup and is hard to share nowadays. :(

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Neddy Seagoon posted:

To be fair; the Activision games were pretty obviously a quick paycheque for Platinum while they were working on Nier Automata and burning money on Scalebound.

Yeah, in retrospect, I kinda wonder if the weirdness that was Nier:A and SF0, Scalebound's wonky development and the sudden nature of the Activision games was all due to Platinum taking on so many projects close together. I think/hope after Scalebound they'll try to focus on things, even if I personally still liked most of the Activision work.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
This is bullshit.

I NEEEED that plaid switch.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Al Borland Corp. posted:

A burglar broke into my house and was right next to my Switch when I caught him. I chased him out the door after about five minutes of cajoling. The burglar was a cat.

Persona 5 on Switch confirmed?

Kawabata
Apr 20, 2014

You plebians just don't know what epic literature is. You should try reading Stephanie Meyer, E.L. James, Dan Brown, or Ayn Rand.

Suaimhneas posted:

lol you wish

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Suaimhneas posted:

Omg I would die.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Persona 5 silver

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

picksixgod posted:

I actually liked Star Fox Zero as well. The only critical flaw with that game was the boss battles with the locked camera angle. All the on-rail levels and all range levels were fine. It's just those fixed perspective boss battles that were terrible.

I couldn't beat andross because the camera angles were driving me up the wall but I really enjoyed playing the on rail levels!!!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Hi everyone. Thank you for your time. I have prepared my presentation for everyone today. The Switch is good and I'm excited to see the things they'll show at E3. Thank you have a good day

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zelder posted:

Persona 5 silver

The DLC will be Pokémon costumes for everyone.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

DalaranJ posted:

Pokémon costumes for everyone.

This is the future liberals want

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

DalaranJ posted:

The DLC will be Pokémon costumes for everyone.

Ryuji is a Scraggy

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Zelder posted:

Ryuji is a Scraggy

I read this as Scrappy at first and suddenly pictured Scooby Doo costumes for the Persona characters THANKS

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Has-Been Heroes is $9.99 digitally at GameStop right now. Very polarizing game that got gently panned in reviews, but those who liked it seem to like it a lot.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I read this as Scrappy at first and suddenly pictured Scooby Doo costumes for the Persona characters THANKS

Well,

Persona 5 mild ending spoilers

The game does end with the group going on a roadtrip in a lovely old van with their talking animal companion looking to solve some mysteries.

This is why the protagonist's name is canonically Shaggy Rogers.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

Has-Been Heroes is $9.99 digitally at GameStop right now. Very polarizing game that got gently panned in reviews, but those who liked it seem to like it a lot.

Do they send you a code for it?

I would be interested in fixing up someone via PayPal if that's the case.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to

enojy posted:

Is this just Darkest Dungeon, but the TRINE folks?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The Machine posted:

Is this just Darkest Dungeon, but the TRINE folks?

No, it's different (lanes versus positions of enemies)

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Zore posted:

Well,

Persona 5 mild ending spoilers

The game does end with the group going on a roadtrip in a lovely old van with their talking animal companion looking to solve some mysteries.

This is why the protagonist's name is canonically Shaggy Rogers.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

Post in thread if you can hook a brother up with a digital code. :siren:

I'll PM you and fix you up via Paypal.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Infinitum posted:

If you buy it on the site, it just shows the code when you finish, no need to go in person. They also seem to accept PayPal payments, so you should be good.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Infinitum posted:

Sure! I picked it up but haven't redeemed the code yet; feel free to PM me and we can exchange PayPal info/game codes. If it doesn't work in your region, I'll refund you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

EVGA Longoria posted:

If you buy it on the site, it just shows the code when you finish, no need to go in person. They also seem to accept PayPal payments, so you should be good.

Nah they need a US address associated with the paypal account, I've already tried both options :(

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

enojy posted:

Sure! I picked it up but haven't redeemed the code yet; feel free to PM me and we can exchange PayPal info/game codes. If it doesn't work in your region, I'll refund you.

Check PMs :)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I am now installing Has Been Heroes :)

That's a solid bargain as well.
$10USD = $13.30AUD

It is currently $40AUD ($30USD) via our version of Gamespot (EBGames)

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Playing Thumper on the train and it's starting to get me titled. Time to instantly SWITCH to MK8 via the magic of owning digital.

Switch is good y'all.

I'm also on my way to a barbecue pool party where my buddy is bringing his Switch. Gonna bust out some poolside tiki bar Mario Kart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Is there really something wrong with the switch pro controller's dpad-up?
Seems to work fine to me. :confused:

• Locked thread