Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

2+ hours for ldr, once you get to 60 and you need to queue for specific dungeons for quest reasons those probably won't be longer than an hour. This is my guess. Although if everyone just goes to potd, ldr might not be so bad.

This is about my #1 reason for thinking I might do SB story and initial leveling as PLD, and then level RDM second. It's basically the same reason that I started the game as a Arcanist thinking I would go Summoner, but my first level capped character was Scholar. Long queues blow when you're excited to be leveling a certain thing. They're not so bad later once you have all the content ungated and can putter around gathering or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

*whispering* versucc

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I love Final Fantasy Yearbook.

That is all.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Potd changes the game quite a bit such that even if dungeon queues for the dps are the doomsday you're all predicting you'll still be able to hop in potd if you desire.

Also, full time chocobros.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The potd npc will be lost in a sea of red hats and afk symbols.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I never ended up doing PotD when I briefly played last year. Is it really fast leveling? I remember when I first heard about it I thought the levels you gained in it were only for PotD but apparently you also level outside of PotD, and there's something about PotD-specific equipment or something?

Anyway I'll probably be leveling RDM through Heavensward/Stormblood story so it's not a huge deal. Might finally take the opportunity to try out Astrologian, too, they seem like a cool healer and Gravity looks amazing.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

does stormblood come with a month of game time?

If I've let my subscription lapse, can I just put in a stormblood code and play right away?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Harrow posted:

I never ended up doing PotD when I briefly played last year. Is it really fast leveling? I remember when I first heard about it I thought the levels you gained in it were only for PotD but apparently you also level outside of PotD, and there's something about PotD-specific equipment or something?

Anyway I'll probably be leveling RDM through Heavensward/Stormblood story so it's not a huge deal. Might finally take the opportunity to try out Astrologian, too, they seem like a cool healer and Gravity looks amazing.

It's fast and doesn't depend on your personal gear. The time spent in POTD will make your POTD gear better overall and gives you a really nice chunk of EXP but once the novelty has worn off, it's really, really gruelling to play.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

does stormblood come with a month of game time?

If I've let my subscription lapse, can I just put in a stormblood code and play right away?

I'm not 100% sure but it's extremely likely that the answer is no.
Regardless, if you haven't played since the HW story came to an end, you'll need to finish all of the HW MSQ to play Stormblood stuff (you can probably do SAM/RDM though straight up)

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It'll be bad for the launch window I think, especially in EA and the first couple of days of official release.

Then people will get bored of the new classes or decide they don't want to play at all and the amount of SAM/RDM will drop off a bit.

A sign of things to come.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

o no i'm dying now

:laffo:

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Tanks are the least played by a pretty large margin. Roulette queues as a tank for me are generally instant. As a healer I usually have a 5-10 minute wait. DPS are a bit longer, maybe 10-20 depending on the day.

There seem to be a decent number of people playing tanks in the game, just not in DF queues. I've always suspected that they're stealing our DPS jobs and then using the ill-gotten tomestones to buy tank gear

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I've taken interest in drk recently so I'll probably do drk first. If any dps wants to ride my queue I'll give a goon discount of 30k per dungeon run to level up your dps. 50k for lldr as hazard pay for possibly entering toto rak or aurum vale.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
PotD's real speed comes from the fact that it's instant queues regardless of your Role. That'd said it's going to be hilarious getting nothing but 4x dps groups with people who have no idea how their job functions for the first 72 hours or so, except for those potential times where you wipe to a luring trap after 15 minutes and get zero exp.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I'm just gonna be a magitek samurai and do beast dailies to level it while I'm leveling an actual class for SB. Probably scholar.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Countblanc posted:

PotD's real speed comes from the fact that it's instant queues regardless of your Role. That'd said it's going to be hilarious getting nothing but 4x dps groups with people who have no idea how their job functions for the first 72 hours or so, except for those potential times where you wipe to a luring trap after 15 minutes and get zero exp.

They should've all be playing RDM Simulator 2017 so they can be ready for SB. :colbert:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I have a lot of fun pissing around on the rdm sim, but theres no shortage of people in the RDM discord who haven't figured out that test dummy dps isn't the same as practical usage and I fully expect people to autopilot corps-a-corps right into horseman aoes or displacement into traps.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Countblanc posted:

I have a lot of fun pissing around on the rdm sim, but theres no shortage of people in the RDM discord who haven't figured out that test dummy dps isn't the same as practical usage and I fully expect people to autopilot corps-a-corps right into horseman aoes or displacement into traps.

Yeah, the simulator is good, but I'm eager to get Red Mage out into the real world.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That RDM sim is pretty fun and amusing, I like it.

I have no idea how the hell I'm gonna keybind for this job. I'm far too picky about my keybinds and how many shift/ctrl/alt combos I use.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

nuru posted:

Potd changes the game quite a bit such that even if dungeon queues for the dps are the doomsday you're all predicting you'll still be able to hop in potd if you desire.

Also, full time chocobros.

PotD will absolutely be the best bet for getting SAM and RDM to 60 fast (get used to 4x SAM parties), but it will probably be pretty garbage for XP after that. The best bet for going 61-70 will be to make friends and form a semi-static 4 man dungeon smashing party.

Unless FATEs are somehow magically good at SB launch, but I wouldn't count on that.

And lastly, inform your FC officers that one of them will die every 5 minutes that Heat of Battle III is not active as a company buff.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im coming back to the game a day after early start since I've been locked out in a foreign country with poo poo internet for 3 months and wont be back till next week. I have SCH/AST/DRK as my 60 characters, but RDM looks interesting. I'm thinking of taking that through SBs story but I'm sure they are going to have story linked dungeons and I will come to regret it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Harrow posted:

That RDM sim is pretty fun and amusing, I like it.

I have no idea how the hell I'm gonna keybind for this job. I'm far too picky about my keybinds and how many shift/ctrl/alt combos I use.

{Same}

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Thundarr posted:

PotD will absolutely be the best bet for getting SAM and RDM to 60 fast (get used to 4x SAM parties), but it will probably be pretty garbage for XP after that. The best bet for going 61-70 will be to make friends and form a semi-static 4 man dungeon smashing party.

Unless FATEs are somehow magically good at SB launch, but I wouldn't count on that.

And lastly, inform your FC officers that one of them will die every 5 minutes that Heat of Battle III is not active as a company buff.

My little FC group has been stockpiling the XP Aetherial wheels for a few months now. :v:

And yeah, I'm gonna be hitting PotD hard to get RDM to 60 ASAP so I can do SB on it. The good news is I've barely done PotD in the past, so I won't burn out as fast. The bad news is I've barely done PotD in the past, so my aetherpool is lousy and I'll probably blunder into all kinds of danger.

Cubear
May 17, 2008

Huh?! I.. I'm a bear?!

Countblanc posted:

shoutouts to Ryan Cokes, Ace Palico, and Really Till. we wiped on Behemoth on 180 last week and after some post-death Sads got back in the saddle and conquered this week. also got a mount drop! we wanted to do this as a send-off to Heavensward

E: Pumpkin Secured

i didn't agree to having my likeness used :)

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i wanted to do stormblood as monk but the new moves for monk look so bad that i'm not sure it's worth enduring the dps queues, so i may drk it instead

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Failboattootoot posted:

2+ hours for ldr, once you get to 60 and you need to queue for specific dungeons for quest reasons those probably won't be longer than an hour. This is my guess. Although if everyone just goes to potd, ldr might not be so bad.

Queuing for dungeons you have a bonus for puts you at the front of everyone who doesn't have one, IIRC they changed that sometime during 3.x? So queuing for MSQ poo poo as dps isn't bad, but yeah. I expect hour+ ldr queues for <60 ldr.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

i wanted to do stormblood as monk but the new moves for monk look so bad that i'm not sure it's worth enduring the dps queues, so i may drk it instead

i want to know what possessed them to think
"we should gently caress around with shoulder tackle. that's the thing that will give monk the spice it needs to draw people back to it"

doing more damage is fun, having two charges is fun, don't get me wrong, but... why bother? it was perfectly fine as it was. less said about the "gap closer that opens a gap" tackle the better.

e:

rare occurrence of reddit gold

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 10, 2017

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

i want to know what possessed them to think
"we should gently caress around with shoulder tackle. that's the thing that will give monk the spice it needs to draw people back to it"

doing more damage is fun, having two charges is fun, don't get me wrong, but... why bother? it was perfectly fine as it was. less said about the "gap closer that opens a gap" tackle the better.

e:

rare occurrence of reddit gold

tying it to the fist stance system is what gets me. it immediately renders 2/3 of the riddle/tackle skills either useless or marginally useful because there's still no actual incentive to be out of fists of fire 99% of the time

edit: and tinkering with the numbers won't change how poorly thought out this system is. monk may well be truly hosed in the monk flavoured expansion

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

tying it to the fist stance system is what gets me.

if only there was something Monks possessed currently that dictated the skills available to them... like... opo-opo/raptor/coeurl stance...

Seriously, why not just make it so that shoulder tackle in Opo-opo does the earth one, Raptor does the wind double charge, Coeurl does the fire one, you're not swapping your fist because Fire is the only worthwhile one but it does make you want to consider when you're weaving it in

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
Fist switching is an oGCD with a three second cooldown. Tying it to which form you're in would be ten billion times more loving annoying.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How?

You'd push shoulder tackle on the form you want to use, you're not dropping fists of fire so you're not losing damage while you're cooling down to swap back. What form you're in is something you just know once you're used to your rotation, it's not even something you'd have to think about and if you gently caress it up, you're punished for doing your rotations wrong, which is how the game should work. How it is now is giving you two options you're never going to use and wanting to punishes you outside of using your tackle.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 10, 2017

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013
If the situation you need the dash for is at all time sensitive, your only way of controlling the alignment of your forms with the fight timing is to lose more dps.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You use it on cooldown for damage as is, bosses don't get knocked back, if you need it for a time sensitive thing (which is like never currently unless you're purposely saving it as a stun), it's not an issue because it's going to still get you from A to B. Outside of that, if it's time sensitive, changing your fist and then charging is more effort than using it as is and as it would be if they just tied it to what form you're in.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 10, 2017

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Trying to enhance shoulder tackle is a dumb thing and tackle mastery is a bad trait.

Monk is a letdown in the revealed skills.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

it's not an issue because it's going to still get you from A to B

You're not understanding. Losing 30 potency because I was in the form with the earth dash (which I have zero control over) when the boss did their knockback, or whatever, is a bigger dps loss than switching fists for two GCDs, and would happen more often.

Your system RANDOMLY fucks people harder than the thing you're bitching about. It's terrible.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Use Form Shift and swap to the next one along before shooting back if you're so concerned about not wanting to use earth dash, while retaining your 5% from Fists of Fire and not having to deal with a clunky and utterly useless mechanic. There's probably a million ways to come up with a better mechanic than what they've gone with.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna just level my NIN through the story and wait until things lull a bit to get into SAM stuff. I want to play it, but I do not want to play PotD and I do not want to spend precious game time staring at a queue timer.

Logicspren
Oct 21, 2010

Use Form Shift and swap to the next one along before shooting back if you're so concerned about not wanting to use earth dash, while retaining your 5% from Fists of Fire and not having to deal with a clunky and utterly useless mechanic. There's probably a million ways to come up with a better mechanic than what they've gone with.

And yet your suggestion is so much worse than theirs. Thank goodness you don't design for this game.
Even if you consider that Tackle Mastery is only a buff to Shoulder Tackle while in Fists of Fire, MNK gets a bunch of other cool and good additions that enhance its core gameplay.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I'm just gonna be a magitek samurai and do beast dailies to level it while I'm leveling an actual class for SB. Probably scholar.

Same here, but with a Techno Redmage

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

There's probably a million ways to come up with a better mechanic than what they've gone with.

Probably! You just didn't.

Tying it to the fists is clunky, but you only have to think about it at all in the special situations that call for non-fire tackles. Maybe a handful of cases for the whole expansion?

A better solution is probably just remove fists entirely and give monks something more interesting at 66.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Logicspren posted:

And yet your suggestion is so much worse than theirs. Thank goodness you don't design for this game.
Even if you consider that Tackle Mastery is only a buff to Shoulder Tackle while in Fists of Fire, MNK gets a bunch of other cool and good additions that enhance its core gameplay.

source your quotes

• Locked thread