Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

I decided a year ago to put together models suitable for Frostgrave, so I got all my Bones I and II models and went through and separated out every figure that could be a fighter and every figure that could be a wizard.

I have enough figures for like... twenty simultaneous games of Frostgrave. Not counting any of my non-Bones figures, and not counting what I'll be adding from Bones III.

Living the life, I say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
holy loving poo poo, maaldrakar

I got a massive, 54 pound box on my doorstep, Maaldrakar's box filled the entire thing length and width-wise. Half what I thought it'd weigh, but I think the reason my Bones 2 order was so heavy was because of 10x copies of Mashaaf, 10x Khanjira, etc whereas this was 10x core, 10x stoneskull, and that's it.

Also, Reaper sent me an extra core set. Should I contact them about it?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
You can if you want. They're probably not going to be too concerned with getting it back, though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

That sounds like a lot of work just send it to me and I'll get it sorted. I'll even pay your postage.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Wasn't their answer "just keep it" during the last one?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Alright, in that case I'll just keep it. Maybe pick out some of the figures I really like and would want copies of, and sell the rest, use that for home repairs.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Send it to NTRabbit to be distributed among the Australian backers as rightful plunder.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Got my wave 5 tracking number :toot:

Bring on the terrain points, Oath Thread!

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Postage has been applied! :woop:

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Ma'aldrakar is as big as expected and fits together about as well as Khanjira did, which is to say not perfectly but for $60 I ain't bitching. It's also way, way better balanced that Khanjira and doesn't want to fall over all the time.

The surprise of my lot is the Froghemoth. It's a very neat model and straddles the appropriate line between looking goofy and looking dangerous. It's also a big rear end piece of plastic. Nearly elephant sized to a 28mm model.

I guess another surprise is that Shub Niggurath has pointy teats all along the belly and it makes it real weird to hold while glue is drying.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I went back and looked for my Wave 3, turns out it's Out For Delivery!

So many giants and yetti and wolves...

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In three days I'm getting over five pounds of minis.

. . .

I need more paint.

E: What (if anything) are you guys using to prime? I generally don't prime Bones because most primers I use create some kind of reaction with the plastic that makes it tacky forever, but being able to spray down a few dozen at once to get a nice even prime/basecoat would be great if possible. I...think I've had good luck with Vallejo brush-on primer in the past but I don't really remember (painting minis is never my most sober activity). I might try running that through my airbrush...hmmm...

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 7, 2017

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
I use Vallejo brush on surface primer, it's great and has never caused problems for me but I heard someone else say it caused a reaction for them between bones and the paint they used.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I was Wave 1 and still haven't received either a package or a shipping notice. Would it be worth contacting someone about that, or should I wait?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Just got the postage notification.

Cat Face Joe posted:

I've gone from hype to nauseous.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Signal posted:

I was Wave 1 and still haven't received either a package or a shipping notice. Would it be worth contacting someone about that, or should I wait?

I'd start by logging on to the bon3s pledge manager and making sure your shipping address and email address are accurate. Then I'd check your spam folder for anything from reaper.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

I'd start by logging on to the bon3s pledge manager and making sure your shipping address and email address are accurate. Then I'd check your spam folder for anything from reaper.

Yeah, already verified all of that. Addresses line up, and nothing in my spam folder

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Well then I guess you could send them a "should I be concerned" email, but I'd try to keep it chill. :)

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Signal posted:

I was wave 3 and had the same thing - emailed them a friendly hey whats up and got a shipping notice the next day (today).

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I expect I'll get a shipping notice from the local distributor some time in August

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Hadn't quite sent an email, but just got my shipping notice! Guess I only had to complain to make it happen.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Has there ever been a description of the Bones casting process? I assume it's the same as the metal models but plastic flows differently than metal so I'm not sure.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

I kept my pledge pretty limited this time because I've found I don't really like painting bones, and even if they're cheap for what painting I do manage to get to these days I prefer spending more for higher quality materials.

That said. Holy poo poo. This goremaw is loving amazing as are all my $50 order. Will spend big on the centerpieces next kickstarter.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Cat Face Joe posted:

Has there ever been a description of the Bones casting process? I assume it's the same as the metal models but plastic flows differently than metal so I'm not sure.
It's not anything special, but it's injection molding, not casting. So there's a multi-part mold that hot molten plastic is forced into under a pretty high pressure. Then the mold is cracked open, the part pops out, and the process is repeated. You can actually get relatively cheap hand-operated injection molding hardware, but it's the molds that are expensive, as they need to be hard, resilient, and very accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1U9W4iNDiQ

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?
I got my order in today :toot:

I got everything I ordered with two exceptions: the Frost Giants. I instead got the Fire Giant Warrior and Bodyguard. Whoops! I'll have to wait until Reaper posts instructions on how to fix an order, but since they're the only parts that got messed up I'm not too hung up on it. They're still nice models anyway so if I get to keep them (which is likely the case) then I'll consider it a bonus.

Edit: Actually I'm a moron and thought I ordered something entirely different. My pledge manager told the truth and I got everything I originally ordered. Whoops!

Slimnoid fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 8, 2017

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
My Brick of minis arrived last night. So many clear plastic weapons.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

It's not anything special, but it's injection molding, not casting. So there's a multi-part mold that hot molten plastic is forced into under a pretty high pressure. Then the mold is cracked open, the part pops out, and the process is repeated. You can actually get relatively cheap hand-operated injection molding hardware, but it's the molds that are expensive, as they need to be hard, resilient, and very accurate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1U9W4iNDiQ

Cool, thanks. That's what I figured it was but wasn't sure.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Got my 4.4 pound box in today! The box was a little mushed and had a plastic cord round it, but the only damage inside was my Graveyard box got a little smushed. I'll probably get the Graveyard terrain and Circle put together, but the dudes will probably sit a while as I finish up all my other plastic :frogbon:

Looking forward to the next KS!

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Why did I think I needed so many lizardmen :psyduck: I ordered two extra Creepin Lizards packs, apparently, even though I actually have some lizardmen in bones already, enough for 99% of the kinds of encounters I run in my games. I want to say at one point I might have hosed with the pledge manager with the intention of getting into some kinda wargame but I have no idea what the wargame hotness du jour was when I ordered - what games would shitloads of lizards be good for?

I've also started re-reading the Frostgrave ruleset, because I've got space to set up a table or two for gaming and good lord do I ever have minis now. Anyone got pics of cool Bones-based Frostgrave warbands (not necessarily from Bones III KS) that they could share for inspiration before I go trawl the actual FG thread?

Also: a player in my D&D campaign is a half-sane warlock who thinks he's a priest to Shub Niggurauth. I ordered the mini really without paying much attention to the sculpt, because 1) I need bigger boss monsters and 2) even if I didn't end up using it I figured the player would have a laugh with it, whatever. But now that I have it in hand....that thing is huge and actually fits the aesthetic I'm pushing for in that aspect of the campaign so well that I'm going to bend the plot a little to make him encounter her sooner. It's just an incredible sculpt, it looks busy as hell like latter-day GW stuff but obviously with the couldn't-break-this-if-I-tried resiliency of Bones. Now I'm sitting here kinda wondering why everyone isn't making scrolls and robes and tentacles and other notoriously fragile bits out of whatever goop Bones is - I'd be saving a shitload of money in Battlefoam, that's for sure.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

food court bailiff posted:

Why did I think I needed so many lizardmen :psyduck: I ordered two extra Creepin Lizards packs, apparently, even though I actually have some lizardmen in bones already, enough for 99% of the kinds of encounters I run in my games. I want to say at one point I might have hosed with the pledge manager with the intention of getting into some kinda wargame but I have no idea what the wargame hotness du jour was when I ordered - what games would shitloads of lizards be good for?

Were you perhaps thinking about making a Salamanders army for Kings of War?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Yea, that was my thought too. Alternatively. You might have bought them because lizards are awesome and you can always use more.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
I went on a bit of a tear and assembled almost all of the larger Bones figures I had from this and the previous Kickstarters. Closet space is non-existent. Here are some gigantic group shots:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

Were you perhaps thinking about making a Salamanders army for Kings of War?

This was probably it, how many lizards does one realistically need for KoW? I don't see a free Salamanders list on the site :(

Ashcans posted:

Yea, that was my thought too. Alternatively. You might have bought them because lizards are awesome and you can always use more.

Lizards are awesome. I'm already thinking about customizing a quartet as TMNT pastiches. I mean, I gotta practice kitbashing Bonesium stuff anyway now that I have all these random weapons.

This is seriously like one of the best KSes I've backed. I was just starting to get back into painting, and BAM, five pounds of minis.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Salamanders are in the Uncharted Empires book; Salamanders have 7 types of regular infantry, and using MMC, you typically need 6 per troop (70-100pts), 11 per regiment (115-170pts), and 21 per horde (165-230pts), typical games are played at 1250, 1500, and 2000pts.

Sounds like you didn't quite buy enough for that.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey this giant dragon i bought is way too big. I knew it was big from the pictures, but jesus christ its too much
Does anyone want to buy my maaldrakar off me? I cant see myself ever painting something this big

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fauxtool posted:

hey this giant dragon i bought is way too big. I knew it was big from the pictures, but jesus christ its too much
Does anyone want to buy my maaldrakar off me? I cant see myself ever painting something this big

ahahahahaha

ahahahahahahaha :unsmigghh:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

What was the link for that order verification thing?

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Signal posted:

What was the link for that order verification thing?

You can see your order and tracking number (if it shipped) in the pledge manager which you can get to from the Kickstarter campaign page still.

https://ks.reapermini.com/bones3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

Got mine yesterday. It's all too much.

• Locked thread