Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rough Lobster posted:

I really hate Wakanda's "they have spears but they're secretly laser spears" schtick. It's just so loving goofy. I'd rather Wakanda be a modern and advanced country in both appearance and actuality.

Then again it does suggest that their technology developed in a different way from the rest of the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The MSJ posted:

Then again it does suggest that their technology developed in a different way from the rest of the world.

Probably because of vibranium. I'm wondering if the choice of song for the trailer was meant to be talking about Wakanda as a whole and not just Panther - Civil War noted that Wakanda stepping into the spotlight in the registration act was extremely unusual.

If I had to guess, going by what we've seen and that Killmonger has been said to be the main villain, Panther wants to open up Wakanda to the world and turn them into a world power while Killmonger leads the "oh hell no, keep Wakanda a secret" faction.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I forget if it's mentioned in Civil War but does taking on the mantle of the Black Panther itself involve actual literal magic like in the comics or are his abilities/suit/etc. 100% technology?

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget if it's mentioned in Civil War but does taking on the mantle of the Black Panther itself involve actual literal magic like in the comics or are his abilities/suit/etc. 100% technology?

I don't think they have fully explained it yet. There is one moment in Civil War when The Winter Soldier gets reactivated by Zimo and winds up fighting Black Panther without his suit. During this fight Black Panther attempts to do something to Winter Soldiers arm that seems possibly mystical and clearly linked to his signet ring.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
not quite CBM related, but Adam West is dead :smith:

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

He definitely has powers without his suit. Coogler has mentioned in interviews that the heart-shaped herb he eats imbues him with powers.

Also, that trailer was the poo poo.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
gently caress. Adam West just died.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Equeen posted:

Who's going to be the mayor on Family Guy now? :smith:

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Equeen posted:

That's what I was going to post.

Adam West, the actor forever known as TV’s Batman, dies at 88 - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/AFc1g7r71SGigfrqU5m31ig

:(:(

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Equeen posted:

Like, the Major of Quahog?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Does Black Panther tie into the greater Lord of the Rings Universe or is it stand-alone? The Bilbo and Gollum scene at the start of the trailer hints that it takes place before the original Hobbit.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Does Black Panther tie into the greater Lord of the Rings Universe or is it stand-alone? The Bilbo and Gollum scene at the start of the trailer hints that it takes place before the original Hobbit.

I never realized that was Serkis. Kudos to his character acting.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I'm face blind because I thought Forest Whitaker was Andy Serkis in Africa face

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Don't be silly.

Everyone with a tan or darker is evil and works for Sauron in the Lord of the Rings Universe.

Violator
May 15, 2003

sassassin posted:

It does look very flat. Everything's shot in two or three distinct layers.

What's the cause for this? Is it because so much of the backgrounds are CGI? Or is flat color grading? The way the frame is composed? Saying things are laid out in distinct layers is interesting.

I'm liking how stylized and colorful these recent Marvel movies look (BP, GOTG2, Thor 3) but as someone said everything feels like it's flat and on a stage. Hard to describe.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
It's weird that Disney was willing to greenlight Black Panther since they don't like black people in China.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Equeen posted:

Beware the Grey Ghost is probably my favorite BTAS episode so I'm pretty bummed out today :smith:

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Jeb! Repetition posted:

It's weird that Disney was willing to greenlight Black Panther since they don't like black people in China.

Marvel is releasing Black Panda special editions to certain regions

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

bring back old gbs posted:

:mmmsmug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

bring back old gbs posted:

Naughty. But good.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

BiggerBoat posted:

gently caress. Adam West just died.

gently caress. :smith:

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Snowman_McK posted:

How the hell does a sci-fi/magic african future kingdom populated by crazy martial arts bodyguards look that goddamn flat?

I mean, I really hate to be the guy leaping to conclusions based on a short trailer, but gently caress if that didn't look dull for what's being depicted.

Needs more brown and blue?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Violator posted:

What's the cause for this? Is it because so much of the backgrounds are CGI? Or is flat color grading? The way the frame is composed? Saying things are laid out in distinct layers is interesting.

The simplest way to shoot (and the way the vast majority of tv is shot) is by putting your actor in the front, some people/stuff happening behind them (or sometimes to one or both sides), and a stage/static set in the rear for the location, with no interaction between the elements.

Either because they want to stay true to Whedon, or because it's the easiest way to keep consistent between all the directors, these films lean heavily on that kind of simple cinematography.

The issue isn't that "the backgrounds are CGI" - it could just as easily be a physical set or matte painting or bit of cloth hanging behind the stage to mask the bare brick and wiring- the issue is that the background element is framed as just that.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The only thing I know about Black Panther the comic is that when it's written by Christoper Priest (not the sci-fi writer), it's good, and it's written by Reginald Hudlin, it's poo poo.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The only thing I know about Black Panther the comic is that when it's written by Christoper Priest (not the sci-fi writer), it's good, and it's written by Reginald Hudlin, it's poo poo.

Well, supposedly for this movie it's Killmonger as the main villain with Klaw in the secondary.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Judakel posted:

Needs more brown and blue?

No.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How is/was Ta-Nehisi Coates run?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Its good. Its about the nature of being a king

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Gyges posted:

How is/was Ta-Nehisi Coates run?

Originally rough as he is not a comics writer first but he grew into it well.

Presumably he may get more chances but they have him another spinoff of black panther early which quickly got cancelled

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah, that trailer is pretty cool. Although not sure about that direction of having Wakanda be super secretive pretending to be a third world country. That doesn't really make any sense.

Also, Andy Serkis is loving awesome so seeing him as Klaw is going to be fantastic. Actually all of that looks good.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Black Panther needs his little cape

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Not my Black Panther

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I hate everything about this post.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
A lot of you have probably seen this, but I found this video very entertaining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Firstborn posted:

A lot of you have probably seen this, but I found this video very entertaining:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vfqkvwW2fs

You should watch this counter argument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXsH88XlKM

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Didn't know it existed, thanks for the link!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

That's a weak counterargument, he goes "I disagree" and then spends ten minutes summarizing the history of film scoring just to come back around and go "yeah pretty much but whoa digital~" :boom: Literally ends up supporting every point the Every Frame a Painting guy made.

Also most genre films don't have 2+ minute long abstract opening credit sequences on which to hang those oh-so-hummable overture themes these days, I can't believe both of them missed that.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 11, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Hollismason posted:

Although not sure about that direction of having Wakanda be super secretive pretending to be a third world country.

My interpretation: kinda gives it this mysterious quality that makes you wonder if its possible for such a thing to exist in reality. That's a big reason why Batman is so popular.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

My interpretation: kinda gives it this mysterious quality that makes you wonder if its possible for such a thing to exist in reality. That's a big reason why Batman is so popular.

It's going to depend on how they portray it. If it's just Watson blowing smoke in an interrogation, Wakanda being totally secretive about their actual power, or some other thing. It seems like the two important things about Wakanda is that they were never colonized and that they're one of the most technologically advanced countries on Earth.

Also, using the technical definition of Third World, an isolationist Wakanda would definitely be Third World since they were aligned with neither the U.S. Cold War coalition nor the Soviet Cold War coalition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I hope they work all of Stan Lee's marvel movie appearances into the mythos by revealing him as a interdimensional traveler.

• Locked thread