Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Looks like scifi people marooned on a savage planet. Definitely not grabbing my interest, but they would have had to show something really unique for a teaser trailer alone to get me invested in a Bioware product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

The dude on the right looks Kett

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

That still looks like a ME game

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Internet Kraken posted:

Looks like scifi people marooned on a savage planet. Definitely not grabbing my interest, but they would have had to show something really unique for a teaser trailer alone to get me invested in a Bioware product.

Or given that this is Bioware, showed something about characters and story. Those are what get people hooked on Bioware games, not art or action (ME3 multiplayer excluded).

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
They literally said this is just a short teaser and Microsoft will have the bulk of it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

That really looks like ME:A multiplayer fan art. That's not from the new game, is it?
Except I guess the Kett is an adept. Can Ketts be Adepts?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rinkles posted:

I'll be honest, when I looked at this picture this started playing in my head;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePypW6n1egQ

And I felt a bit ill.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Drifter posted:

That's not from the new game, is it?

It is.

If you can actually superman through the world that seems cool

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Rinkles posted:

that looks like Meridian

if they just re-use the background assets and map for Meridian then lmao

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Pattonesque posted:

that looks like Meridian

if they just re-use the background assets and map for Meridian then lmao

See? Use of recycled Frostbite engine assets now totally justified!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lmao the MEA devs did say that main bioware was just taking ideas and poo poo from them as they were developing the game

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Rinkles posted:

Which one can I
gently caress

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

BrianWilly posted:

Which one can I
gently caress

Yourself, if you buy it.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
I really wanna play Destiny, but made by modern Bioware, said no one, ever

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

BrianWilly posted:

Which one can I
gently caress

They should let you romance a Krogan - then when you go and gently caress it like a moron it should result in a death scene like when you try and have lonely nerd sex with Morinth in ME2.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug
I'm on board, this definitely looks like something cool and unique. It plays to Bioware's strengths and it's completely understandable that they've been prioritizing this while flushing their #1 IP down the shitter.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

ub posted:

I'm on board, this definitely looks like something cool and unique. It plays to Bioware's strengths and it's completely understandable that they've been prioritizing this while flushing their #1 IP down the shitter.

Isn't Dragon Age their #1 IP?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Drifter posted:

Well, it is now

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://www.reddit.com/r/masseffect/comments/6ghpuc/no_spoilers_let_me_clear_something_up_about/

Jason Schreier posted:

Hey - I'm Jason Schreier, an editor over at Kotaku. I've seen a lot of posts on this subreddit about my report last month that BioWare Montreal was scaled down and that Mass Effect is on ice. I've seen a ton of you guys say things like "Kotaku clickbait" and "Kotaku is exaggerating what happens at every studio" so let me clear a few things up, based on conversations I've had with several people who know what's going on over there:
1) As far as I know, BioWare Montreal did not expect to be scaled down after they finished Andromeda - they expected to work on a sequel right away. This was not the sort of standard development downsizing or cycling you'd normally see at a game studio. From everything I've heard, most people at BioWare expected Mass Effect to continue immediately after Andromeda launched. The controversial reception to Andromeda DIRECTLY changed things. This was not "business as usual" -- that was the point of my article.
2) My understanding is that the studio has been completely gutted. I've heard that there are dozens and dozens of empty computers as people have moved, or left, and I expect more people to depart the studio this month. It's really sad.
3) I can't say I'm 100% sure about this, but I don't expect there to be any single-player Andromeda DLC, unfortunately.
4) "Clickbait" is an article that obfuscates news or misleads you in order to get you to click. Too many people use the word "clickbait" to refer to articles they just don't like. It bums me out.
I recommend reading this story if you haven't already. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but sometimes it's my job. I just want it to be clear that we're not exaggerating or sensationalizing the situation here.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ub posted:

It's hard to gleam anything of substance from that short teaser. I hope it doesn't copy too much from Destiny's structure, rethinks how BW designs open worlds, and like you say, plays to BW's strengths.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

drat. What a catastrophe.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When I think "plays to Bioware's strengths," I think open world co-op Destiny clones.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It plays to Bioware's strength of stealing stuff froom other devs.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

What?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Bioware used to be innovators in the industry, and then around the time of Inquisition they started chasing after whatever marketing buzzwords were popular instead of showing some confidence in their own product. "Hey we're just like Skyrim, hey we're just like the Witcher 3" instead of being proud of their own contributions.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Bioware used to be innovators in the industry, and then around the time of Inquisition they started chasing after whatever marketing buzzwords were popular instead of showing some confidence in their own product. "Hey we're just like Skyrim, hey we're just like the Witcher 3" instead of being proud of their own contributions.

Calling that "stealing" is more than a reach.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yeah, if they actually succeeded at stealing TW3's ideas then Andromeda might have been pretty good.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Rinkles posted:

Calling that "stealing" is more than a reach.

Call it whatever you want. Personally I'm not gonna get invested in another Bioware product unless they show something really unique, and that trailer certainly wasn't that. It looks like they've shifted from the sterile and advanced scifi of Mass Effect to a more grungy setting, and that's about it. Taking ideas that have already been done before isn't enough for me because the twists they've been trying to put on them have all fallen flat.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Internet Kraken posted:

That's Blizzard. Take what other games do and polish it to a mirror shine.

As for Bioware, I as always am going to be most concerned about story and characters. I can forgive bad gameplay decisions if there's a compelling story and interesting characters. We'll see whether Bioware remembers that that's historically been their strength or keeps on loving the chicken.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
I'm expecting a better story from Battlefront II 2 (stop naming new games the same as old games :argh:) than I am for whatever this new generic looking Anthem turns out to be.

And to be expecting a better story from Dice than from Bioware is just a sad, sad state of affairs.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Do we know who the head writer is on this new IP yet?

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

ub posted:

They flushed their #1 Ip down the shitter with ME3 just FYI so I hope you're talking about Dragon Age

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
As stupid as it is, a lot of people were willing to forgive ME3 and wrote off its many failings as just being tied to the ending. You know, ignoring that almost the entire game failed to deliver on the choice driven narrative Bioware had been advertising since ME1.

Andromeda was a second chance for them and they completely hosed it up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Call it whatever you want. Personally I'm not gonna get invested in another Bioware product unless they show something really unique, and that trailer certainly wasn't that. It looks like they've shifted from the sterile and advanced scifi of Mass Effect to a more grungy setting, and that's about it. Taking ideas that have already been done before isn't enough for me because the twists they've been trying to put on them have all fallen flat.

I have the same feeling. I (sadly) don't expect this to be a game for me.

Your word choice suggested a more blatant ripoff than their lame chasing of industry trends.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Destiny was only good because it's got the bungie secret sauce shooter feel.

Every Bioware game with aiming has been barely adequate for 3rd person PvE games....

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I am actually impressed by how boring that teaser was.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

exquisite tea posted:

I really feel Witcher 3 broke a lot gamer's tolerance for mediocre RPG writing. Like on an objective "effort" level poo poo like FFXV just felt sooo obsolete and weak on a writing level.

And writing was Biowares THING. All of a sudden a no name polish studio chimes and eats their lunch. They had to find other hooks.

I don't know why they just didn't double down on writing instead of half assedly copying things they weren't good at, and proven so.

On the other hand Persona 5 was a huge success in that regard. The villians are sometimes so well written that you'll hate a gym teacher far more than any MEA villian by the second hour.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Drifter posted:

Mass Effect is number two haha

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012

Pattonesque posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0Uq7QmKm4

Here's the game they gutted ME:A to make

:flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

marshmallow creep posted:

I am actually impressed by how boring that teaser was.

"I'm only Human, after all,
I'm only Human, after all,
Don't put the blame on meeeeee"