Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I am en-route to Vegas, hit me up via PM if you want to meet up with Cactrot and I when we scrub out on Legacy Day 1 and go get drunk! I'd rather play people for free than have to pay to enter side events the other two days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

I am en-route to Vegas, hit me up via PM if you want to meet up with Cactrot and I when we scrub out on Legacy Day 1 and go get drunk! I'd rather play people for free than have to pay to enter side events the other two days.

I guess if you are going to do vegas you might as well do it big. How long you staying?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How are you supposed to deal with Bristling Hydra when getting energy is so trival? I've played again the same deck in league three times and it's just impossible.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BizarroAzrael posted:

How are you supposed to deal with Bristling Hydra when getting energy is so trival? I've played again the same deck in league three times sand it's just impossible.

It's one of the 3-4 best cards in standard. When Marvel gets banned it's gonna be everywhere.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

mcmagic posted:

It's one of the 3-4 best cards in standard. When Marvel gets banned it's gonna be everywhere.

Probably be the only reason the Bontu sweeper gets played at this rate. It's annoying only especially as you can't throat-punch them and call them a oval office.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Probably be the only reason the Bontu sweeper gets played at this rate. It's annoying only especially as you can't throat-punch them and call them a oval office.

The Bontu sweeper seems to me to be at about the same power level as the 5 mana wraths we have now which don't get played.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The part from that story that's missing is why did the guy want to drop? Was the store doing a rare redraft? Was there a second money card?

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Sickening posted:

I guess if you are going to do vegas you might as well do it big. How long you staying?

The whole week, out of town camping Mon-Wed but in and around the strip the rest of the time. Never been to Vegas at all before so this is a good excuse to be a tourist.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm gonna be down there wed-monday, playing legacy and modern so there are multiple scrub out opportunities.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

I agree, actually. Hydra is super powerful. I'm gonna start running a bunch of To the Slaughter when it takes over.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

BizarroAzrael posted:

How are you supposed to deal with Bristling Hydra when getting energy is so trival? I've played again the same deck in league three times and it's just impossible.

Deathtouch?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Fumigate

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Angry Grimace posted:

I agree, actually. Hydra is super powerful. I'm gonna start running a bunch of To the Slaughter when it takes over.

To The Slaughter seems like a great way to kill a Thopter or if you're lucky a Servant of the Conduit.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 10, 2017

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

The part from that story that's missing is why did the guy want to drop? Was the store doing a rare redraft? Was there a second money card?

he pulled the force of will and rhonas. he wanted to take his packs and just drop then and there, TO said he cant drop, but he can buy and replace his pack and purchase an additional pack to add to the prize pool. he didnt want to do this, TO said that those were his options, and dropping during a draft would ruin the draft experience for everyone else.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
contact wotc. they don't like people not obey their rules.

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
making store owners provide quality in store experience is also a big part of hteir go forward plan too

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

gif Probst posted:

he pulled the force of will and rhonas. he wanted to take his packs and just drop then and there, TO said he cant drop, but he can buy and replace his pack and purchase an additional pack to add to the prize pool. he didnt want to do this, TO said that those were his options, and dropping during a draft would ruin the draft experience for everyone else.

And forcing someone to draft when they don't want to is a good draft experience?

Doesn't sound like it!

torsoboy
Sep 9, 2001

lesbian armada overlord
I've never seen Jim Davis play as fast as he did after the RIP dropped on him.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Hydra is probably the best designed energy card in the set. It has synergy with other energy cards, gives ETB value, but it doesn't just end games on its own despite having a psuedo shroud, which creates nice tension about when to pump and not to pump. It's also a tremendous combo with Rhonas since he gives the Hydra a way to punch through chump blockers and Hydra is a sticky 4 power creature to keep Rhonas turned on.

Temporary Hexproof that uses a secondary resource makes that garbage mechanic much more palatable.

Also anyone watching Twitch on a TV should just get a Roku for 30 bucks off Amazon and use the App to stream it. If you are watching on on a PC I'd highly suggest https://github.com/streamlink/streamlink-twitch-gui

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

To The Slaughter seems like a great way to kill a Thopter or if you're lucky a Servant of the Conduit.

I mean, Sweltering Suns kills those guys.

Whirler Virtuoso is already a problem on its own if you can't kill all those dudes.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Hydra is very good-- it was the single hardest thing to deal with on BW Zombies. The hexproof is just so hard to deal with. I only beat it by chumping and going wide enough to get over.

Worth mentioning that Blessed Alliance can get at it if you're playing white.

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

gif Probst posted:

gently caress that guy. When you pull a $150 card out of a pack, whining and throwing a tantrum because you didn't get to keep the $10 card too is douche with extra vinegar.

I mean yeah, sure he should be allowed to stand up and leave, but he should also be allowed to not be welcome back for making a scene over :10bux:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

St0rmD posted:

gently caress that guy. When you pull a $150 card out of a pack, whining and throwing a tantrum because you didn't get to keep the $10 card too is douche with extra vinegar.

I mean yeah, sure he should be allowed to stand up and leave, but he should also be allowed to not be welcome back for making a scene over :10bux:

Oh piss off. Store wanted to break the rules and can guarantee that isn't the only avenue they gently caress up.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My guess to someone being upset over passing the green god was it was a younger, spending half their allowance to draft once a week type of player. But I can't see that same stereotype also knowing specifically how to gently caress up everyone else's draft.

On a related note, I used to love sitting downstream from inexperienced players. I'd get all the best cards! But these days, as mana fixing has gotten worse and formats are generally faster so I can't durdle around, I'd much rather be passed twice from someone who can give clear signals. Amonkhet draft is a special kind of hell if someone's loving you up from your right with their inexperience.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

My guess to someone being upset over passing the green god was it was a younger, spending half their allowance to draft once a week type of player. But I can't see that same stereotype also knowing specifically how to gently caress up everyone else's draft.

On a related note, I used to love sitting downstream from inexperienced players. I'd get all the best cards! But these days, as mana fixing has gotten worse and formats are generally faster so I can't durdle around, I'd much rather be passed twice from someone who can give clear signals. Amonkhet draft is a special kind of hell if someone's loving you up from your right with their inexperience.

Amonkhet has driven people insane with being unable to evaluate cards properly. I've last picked Gust Walker, Fan Bearer, Bloodlust Initiate, Splendid Agony, Aven Initiate, and Hooded Brawler across 3 different stores and many drafts.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

In my experience having people who don't know what they're doing pass to you sounds great in theory but sucks in practice. I would MUCH rather have a good drafter passing to me and sending clear signals. Having an inexperienced drafter pass to you is a great way to end up with a trainwreck pile of good cards in 5 different colors (unless that's what you want to be drafting, in which case gg).

St0rmD
Sep 25, 2002

We shoulda just dropped this guy over the Middle East"

PJOmega posted:

Oh piss off. Store wanted to break the rules and can guarantee that isn't the only avenue they gently caress up.

Look, the guy can get up and leave or whatever, what's the store going to do?. It's not like anyone chained him to the chair and made him draft. But if the store owner then says don't come back, well that's on him, IMO, not the store. It's not like they can really do anything else, and if he's gonna be a whiny baby because getting a loving Force of Will wasn't enough for him, he's the one being toxic here. He's already got more cash value in his hand, in one easily sellable card than probably three FNM first prize winners. How much difference does he think the Rhonas is going to make?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Isn't the point of going to a FNM to play magic actually playing magic? Between that story and the guy in this thread that was asking if he should leave if he lost his first match I'll never understand magic players.The store owner even offered to let the guy who opened the FoW buy another pack for the draft right?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

What if everyone who plays this game is bad.

TwistedNails posted:

The store owner even offered to let the guy who opened the FoW buy another pack for the draft right?

The funny thing is this is also against the rules.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I woulda picked the Rhonas and made hard eye contact with the guy I passed to for the rest of the draft, making the rest of my picks randomly

Gotta keep em guessing

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It sounds like they had the option to pay for a new pack and use that instead for the first pack so they could keep both their Rhonas and Force of Will. I don't understand why they didn't do that unless that extra four dollars was something they couldn't afford to spend or it was a kid or something.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

The funny thing is this is also against the rules.

Lol, wow. I've only ever played constructed and sealed (pre-releases) in stores, that seems like a really dumb rule.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Yesterday I learned that the "gentleman's mulligan" is something that you can actually do in sanctioned Magic. You just intentionally draw the game and start the next game within the match. I always thought it was just some casual thing that I would never have a problem with if I wasn't playing for prizes, but it seems that it's technically within the rules. I don't think I'll ever be okay with it outside of FNM or Standard Showdown, though.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Star Man posted:

Yesterday I learned that the "gentleman's mulligan" is something that you can actually do in sanctioned Magic. You just intentionally draw the game and start the next game within the match. I always thought it was just some casual thing that I would never have a problem with if I wasn't playing for prizes, but it seems that it's technically within the rules. I don't think I'll ever be okay with it outside of FNM or Standard Showdown, though.

You do have to record the draw on your match slip though

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

TwistedNails posted:

The store owner even offered to let the guy who opened the FoW buy another pack for the draft right?

The store owner wanted him to buy another pack for himself and another one for the prize pool. At least that's how I read the follow-up.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

cheetah7071 posted:

We don't do match slips. I know that I don't have to agree to the draw, but I am going to start reporting it when the match is over.

I have a feeling that it became a thing at my store because most people playing are very casual and inexperienced. It likely became a thing because they did it at home all the time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Star Man posted:

We don't do match slips. I know that I don't have to agree to the draw, but I am going to start reporting it when the match is over.

I have a feeling that it became a thing at my store because most people playing are very casual and inexperienced. It likely became a thing because they did it at home all the time.

Yeah nobody cares at FNM, I mostly meant if you take your new knowledge to a GP or something

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
If you're on the play it's almost always a good idea to offer the friendly mulligan and if you're on the draw it's almost always a good idea to refuse.

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

This shouldn't be an issue though right? The rules state that a magic match is decided when someone wins 2, it's not actually a best of 3. I've never done it but you should be able to hand over a match-slip with a dozen draws marked down without raising any trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ZeroCount posted:

This shouldn't be an issue though right? The rules state that a magic match is decided when someone wins 2, it's not actually a best of 3. I've never done it but you should be able to hand over a match-slip with a dozen draws marked down without raising any trouble.

This is correct