Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Oh yeah, we could get into a big discussion on how the disintegration of unions has led to wage stagnation across the board and allowed CEOs to hoard money like dragons as they slowly chip away at the American worker's pay, but this is not the place for that...

But yeah, it is super frustrating when you just want to do honest work and no one is willing to pay even minimum wage for it.

Back on topic though, Indeed seems to have a good hook up with remote work opportunities. I haven't been hired off there yet as I've only applied to jobs on there within the past week, but there are lots of postings. I've applied for things as varied as a homeschool website social media manager job and online sex toy store order support. I even saw a posting for video game customer support, but didn't apply to that one. Just search for remote in the location field.

E: Net Transcripts is also hiring experienced transcriptionists for law enforcement work specifically related to crimes against children. I'm guessing it pays better if you have the stomach for it, but I don't really know anything about this company.

SquirrelFace fucked around with this message at 16:04 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

Yeah, that's one I haven't had any experience with and the name doesn't ring a bell. Just to emphasize, though, there are way more clients out there than I've worked for, and I'm sure I haven't found the only good ones. If you've got some experience under your belt and you feel like you can and want to take on more work, by all means dig through Craigslist or other job posting sites and see what you can find. Just use your common sense, ask the questions you want to have answered, and if you get funky vibes feel free to ask for advice. Some places are super cagey about talking about pay rates until you actually apply, which is super annoying-- if it wasn't like pulling teeth to find out what an outfit pays, I'd probably shop clients more often. I just hate going through an interview/CV procedure only to find out they start people out at .50 a minute. :)

I can tell you law enforcement work is going to be SUPER, SUPER VERBATIM and won't be tolerant of fuckups, because if you put something down on the record wrong you can't imagine what kind of shitstorm it can kick off. The last time I did LE work I think it went through like four levels of QA before it went back to the customer.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Bodycam footage of police shootings is low quality audio full of crosstalk, who knew.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010

SquirrelFace posted:

Oh yeah, we could get into a big discussion on how the disintegration of unions has led to wage stagnation across the board and allowed CEOs to hoard money like dragons as they slowly chip away at the American worker's pay, but this is not the place for that...

But yeah, it is super frustrating when you just want to do honest work and no one is willing to pay even minimum wage for it.

Back on topic though, Indeed seems to have a good hook up with remote work opportunities. I haven't been hired off there yet as I've only applied to jobs on there within the past week, but there are lots of postings. I've applied for things as varied as a homeschool website social media manager job and online sex toy store order support. I even saw a posting for video game customer support, but didn't apply to that one. Just search for remote in the location field.

E: Net Transcripts is also hiring experienced transcriptionists for law enforcement work specifically related to crimes against children. I'm guessing it pays better if you have the stomach for it, but I don't really know anything about this company.

Had a look into Net Transcripts, they seem really legit. Unfortunately you must be a US citizen currently residing in the U.S. and able to pass a criminal background check, so that's a no for international folks like me, sigh.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/wri/6126208449.html

This looks kinda cool for someone who's a good editor depending on what it pays. My grammar ain't the bestest all the time and I'm lazy (it's editing transcripts into something that looks written, you don't do any transcription.)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Man I really hope I passed that test of your people's Kaz, because let me tell you, a day of listening to people scream gently caress and shoot each other for $45 is a lovely day.

I'd much rather be the one screaming gently caress and shooting people in Rising Storm 'Nam's beta or something right now but I still got like 10 more minutes of cops standing around chatting while someone bleeds to death on concrete. The average speaker transitions in this is actually for real no joke something like 100 per 30 seconds in some places.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.

Shima Honnou posted:

Bodycam footage of police shootings is low quality audio full of crosstalk, who knew.

This sounds loving horrible. That one should come with a therapy package.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Empire State posted:

This sounds loving horrible. That one should come with a therapy package.

I had one like that. I got a batch of documentary interviews when I was a wee babby transcriber, and they were about the Vietnam War. So this guy was talking about his fellow soldiers and missions he'd been on and I figured it was just a general history project. And then he started saying names that sounded kind of familiar. And then he mentioned Lieutenant Calley, and I realized the mission he was about to describe was loving My Lai. So I sat there and transcribed this guy talking for two hours about torching this village and watching people get murdered and him shooting a child and... man, it was simultaneously immensely powerful and something I never, ever, ever want to loving do again.

(Second worst trauma? loving Toddlers and Tiaras. Jesus.)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
The thing that gets me is it wasn't segments. It really just felt like a disconnected series of downloaded LiveLeak videos.

And yes it was loving horrible, in all ways, both content and the actual speech. Like, one of these was the Dillon Taylor shooting, and I know I'm going to hell because it was the only video that had a part that was easy, and after working on this poo poo for a whole day all I could think was how loving glad I was that for a few minutes while this kid was unconscious and bleeding to death all I could think of was how glad I was that it was only the cop standing over that kid desperately trying to both save him and justify the shooting to himself and nobody else speaking. I am actually from Detroit though and have seen some poo poo in my time, though, so I've lost my innocence a long time ago now.

Either way hopefully this week I'll be starting my new job as coworker to Kaz so there's that. Just waiting on them to get me my documents so I can sign that poo poo, and hope they remember to get my name right because so far they've had a little trouble with that. It's like, come on, I have an e-mail signature with my name and poo poo spelled right the least you could do is look at it!

I've had a 'Nam guy before, which was fun. He was apparently selected by the CIA to train special ops or some poo poo and stationed out in nowhere near Laos where they did shadow poo poo, but mostly the file I got was him talking about being assigned there and describing his team (Who apparently all probably died when South Vietnam fell). He wrote a book about it but they're making a movie or documentary or something about it.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 16, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
On the one hand I could accept two CCSL files from DT and make like $350. They're Vice episodes and also because the PDF ABS is password-protected I'd have to type the entire thing in manually, with one due Thursday morning and another Friday evening.

On the other hand I could eat a bullet instead and get about the same result.

Note that I removed all of my availability from their schedule loving last week. But the siren song of money is tempting me here.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTHkjpv4X6M

(This is the clip I always use to describe being a freelancer.)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
That video should be on each and every page of this thread.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Shima Honnou posted:

On the one hand I could accept two CCSL files from DT and make like $350. They're Vice episodes and also because the PDF ABS is password-protected I'd have to type the entire thing in manually, with one due Thursday morning and another Friday evening.

On the other hand I could eat a bullet instead and get about the same result.

Note that I removed all of my availability from their schedule loving last week. But the siren song of money is tempting me here.

There's OCR programs out there, I mean you'd probably have to go page by page but shouldn't take that long.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I figured out how to strip the passwords from the pdfs but now they also have the problem of whoever does these ABSes having, like, maybe a 75% accuracy at best. It's pretty much useless aside from as a guideline for names.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

I figured out how to strip the passwords from the pdfs but now they also have the problem of whoever does these ABSes having, like, maybe a 75% accuracy at best. It's pretty much useless aside from as a guideline for names.

Of course they don't proofread the ABS's.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
All I know is thank gently caress I didn't reup my schedule with DT, they assigned this all based on what I had on there already. After this I'm loving done and can start working with Kaz. If nothing else, the money from these finger-breaking labors will be a nice bonus to starting there since this check from DT will be, like, almost 600 with three CCSLs on it.

Kaz, your dudes told me they do CCSL in, like, tag-team format with one person taking one column instead of doing all 6 and I gotta say, sounds like loving heaven after this.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

I've actually never done CCSL work for them. They've mentioned it in the past, but I usually stay busy on the news side of things with a few focus groups or post-production jobs to pad things out. You'll have to let me know how they are if you try it out. (Since I juggle three clients plus, I tend to lean away from the big, long jobs in favor of short, fast ones with crazy deadlines.)

And yeah, sometimes supplemental material can be cadged into something you can edit instead of typing it all out yourself, but make double-sure you're proofreading thoroughly. It's really easy to miss shortcuts or misheard words when you're just proofing someone else's work.

(Also, going from DT scheduling to the new guys is going to be a warm summer breeze for you.)

kazmeyer fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 17, 2017

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Well these last few posts are uplifting and heartwarming I just gotta say. Congratulations, person from the internet I barely know!

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
lol DT's trying to weasel out of the fact that I gotta retype this poo poo by saying that I have a spotting list (Which only spots for the few baked-in subtitles or titles throughout the files and not the actual bulk of anything useful)

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
If it ain't one thing it's another. JKL's people over at CaptionMax are claiming I half-assed a file including leaving "audio placeholders" and a load of other errors. Only problem is that I still got the video, and the .txt transcript, and also my .doc backup that I use for spelling proofing and they all say that aside from 13 inaudible tags (more than I'd like but on the low end for poorly-mixed reality poo poo 20-something dating drama garbage TV) I did it pretty much with ad much care and attention to detail as any other file I've done and have proof to that effect.

Whatever. Right now I need some sleep, I've only had like 2 hours in the past 30. When I wake up, once more into the breach to do that last CCSL then I can start with Kaz's people, who hopefully won't run me ragged, even if I basically do it to myself by rejecting only 1 in 1000 files.

E: Hot tip don't become a CCSL person unless you're literally both broke and brokebrained like me and can live with grafting your rear end to a computer chair spending like 20+ real-world minutes to get a minute of footage set down and then doing it for the remaining 29 minutes as well. BTW I now have a burning hatred for freshman editors who quick-cut every two spoken words more than I ever did for people who cut someone off with mm-hmms.

Shima Honnou fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 20, 2017

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Syntak posted:

Hey so I have some information about the Ads Quality Rater position with ZeroChaos working for google. It is $15 an hour and they even waived the criminal background check for me. With the youtube scandal going on the job is now it is mostly watching youtube videos and flagging them for objectionable content. Here is the e-mail I sent me friend about it:

You will be introduced to one task type that you will complete for this job. You will be given a custom g-mail address that will give you access to the web tool to rate from when you are working. You will have up to 10 hours to study the rating guidelines for the introductory task and will complete a training batch of tasks (I spent 8 hours reading the training material over and over and 2 hours doing the training tasks). After 3-4 hours, and the training tasks being checked you will gain access to more tasks. The work is available 24/7. The contract will only last for 1 year, with an extension to 2 years at a max if you do good work. If you are interested send a cover letter and resume to tempjobs@zerochaos.com. The Subject should be Ads Quality Rater Application. The body of your letter should be your cover letter and attach your resume. Also apply at this link https://clientone-zerochaos.icims.c...jun1offset=-240 it is an old link but will get your resume in the pool. Do BOTH!

Does anyone have any recommendations for me as to what Zerochaos looks for in applicants? I'm still in college but I am Spanish and Mandarin as second languages and I know all about SEO and all that as I was in the lead generation for loans game online for a while.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
I wish I could answer you on that but Zero Chaos is a dead end as far as I can tell, I still haven't heard gently caress all from them. That said it only takes a few minutes to apply so it's sort of a why not situation.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Filled up for now, thanks.

Yo, my boss needs a few people. It's all talking head interviews and it pays $1.10 a minute. He usually pays out between the 5th-12th of the next month via Paypal or check (minus Paypal fees unfortunately). These will hopefully last another month or two before they wrap for the season. I usually make between 800-1200 a month but that might go down with more people on it.

The thing with it is is you have to 100 percent QA your own work and make it perfect. At $1.10 a minute doing these easy interviews it really doesn't take long to give it a re-listen and make sure it's 100%. I can usually do 20-30 minutes of interview an hour (including QAing) except for a few cast members who ramble and talk really fast. Most of the cast has also been doing this for years so they're good at interviews and you can just leave off bad takes/false starts/non-interview chit chat.

If you're willing to give it a go, PM me or send me an email at [spoiler]brianofast (all together) at gmail with your experience. Regulars in the thread get first picks, I think he only needs one or two people. He'll probably make you take a really short test.

unbuttonedclone fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 24, 2017

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Shima Honnou posted:

E: Hot tip don't become a CCSL person unless you're literally both broke and brokebrained like me and can live with grafting your rear end to a computer chair spending like 20+ real-world minutes to get a minute of footage set down and then doing it for the remaining 29 minutes as well. BTW I now have a burning hatred for freshman editors who quick-cut every two spoken words more than I ever did for people who cut someone off with mm-hmms.

Way back when I did super-detailed ABSes, my favorite show was Inside the Actor's Studio because the editing was amazing. Perfect coverage on every question and answer, no unnecessary cuts, all beautiful transitions. It was like Mr. Spock edited that show.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Update on Net Transcripts: they are now hiring for general transcriptions too (they do not require experience for this) and pay between $.75-$1.00 a minute. Looks to be primarily business conference type stuff and they have a few different types of deadlines. Some stuff is 24 hr turn around, but there is also rush work with an hour turn around time where you are only assigned 15 minutes from a larger file

I haven't gotten any assignments from them yet, but I'll update when I do.

One thing to note is they do require an EIN number, but you can get one instantly from the IRS website.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Hey Canadian transcribers,

Transcription Divas has turned into Transcript Heroes. I suspect the rebranding was because of poor worker reviews. The pay I've seen mentioned in the contract so far seems good. I'm starting up with them hopefully this week and I was wondering if anyone had experience with them under either of those names.

If not then I guess I'll let you guys know in a few days.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Anybody gonna answer Ceci's question? I don't know that I really like the idea of DT knowing about this thread. Although I guess they can't necessarily link usernames to real names.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

counterfeitsaint posted:

Anybody gonna answer Ceci's question? I don't know that I really like the idea of DT knowing about this thread. Although I guess they can't necessarily link usernames to real names.

What's her question? They stopped sending me poo poo a while ago.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
They want to know where you first heard of DT.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
I would just say professional forum.

Also maybe you wouldn't need to work so hard to find people if you didn't pay poo poo and fire people who didn't want to do your bullshit training for free. But I'm probably just bitter.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009
Finally heard back on that ads rating job in response to a follow up email and got this form letter so???

"Thank you for reaching out. Due to a high volume of applicants, we are working diligently to get everybody started on the qualification process and will reach out to you as soon as possible.

Please feel free to check in with us again in a couple of weeks."

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
That's extremely lol. Speaking of high volume, my expedition to a new client was nice and all but after making $30 in the past two weeks it's time to go back to the DT shitwork mine since I can be assured that they'll have something to give me that I'll hate and complain about instead of telling me they got nothing.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

Things have been weirdly slow there as of late. Hopefully they'll pick up soon.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Hopefully, though this kinda ultra-drought is what happened to make CaptionMax poo poo and drove me back to DT this year.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
2017 is the year transcription died apparently because even DT is starting to be slow as poo poo. I'm working on overtalk incarnate for like $35 because it and a short file (~18min) from Kaz's people are all I've been thrown this week.

SquirrelFace
Dec 17, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

2017 is the year transcription died apparently because even DT is starting to be slow as poo poo. I'm working on overtalk incarnate for like $35 because it and a short file (~18min) from Kaz's people are all I've been thrown this week.

DT has been okay for me still, but I only ever request a few hours a week so that might have something to do with it. They've also been pretty good balancing the good with the bad for me too. Had two files with full verbatim with an interviewer that could hardly go two words without stuttering and the interviewee recorded from a phone that only paid .75. But then I got two talking head interviews for .75 and .80 that had long stretches of dead air.

The .80 one was breeze since they picked the absolute worst place to film. They constantly stopped for airplane noises, car noises and peacock screeching. That plus concise for the interviewer made it super quick.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Yeah I've made $50 so far this month. I feel bad I asked people to help out my boss like it was going to be great and then, [MAKES NOISE], all the files from that show stopped which doesn't make sense since I'm pretty sure they were still shooting. Sorry!

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Not your fault, dude!

Also, Canadian transcriber, Transcription Divas has now rebranded to Transcipt Heroes. I've been on with them for about three weeks now, they've successfully paid me in a very timely manner, are awesome and seemingly have a nice chunk of work, most legal and research interviews, clean verbatim. I'd have a look if you're experienced. They're unfortunately not taking Americans. Pay is ranging so far from $1.16-1.46 CAD for clean verbatim. Their idea of tough audio so far seems to be an actual literal cake walk.

And if you're on LinkedIn link up with CaptionMax and then through there to a guy named Ashster who owns Syncwords. Ashster seems to reach out to people when he needs more bodies. Super awesome to work for, invoicing is every two weeks and he pays as soon as he sees it via PayPal. American and Canadian spelling so being Canadian seems to be an asset. not sure that they're actively recruiting right now, but then again he gave me a poke during everyone else's slow season and has since been hammering me with work.

I didn't want to recommend these guys until I knew they were good to work with and that they paid on time. So far I have had nothing but positive experiences with both companies.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Kaz, I am glad your people pay by the hour because I just did a file that I would describe as Very DTian but instead of being paid $36 for it at the doubtless 75 cents they would pay, I will probably end up getting around $75 because of how long it took. So many stutters and false starts, and the interruptions, ah the interruptions. Felt like home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Not your fault, dude!

Also, Canadian transcriber, Transcription Divas has now rebranded to Transcipt Heroes. I've been on with them for about three weeks now, they've successfully paid me in a very timely manner, are awesome and seemingly have a nice chunk of work, most legal and research interviews, clean verbatim. I'd have a look if you're experienced. They're unfortunately not taking Americans. Pay is ranging so far from $1.16-1.46 CAD for clean verbatim. Their idea of tough audio so far seems to be an actual literal cake walk.

And if you're on LinkedIn link up with CaptionMax and then through there to a guy named Ashster who owns Syncwords. Ashster seems to reach out to people when he needs more bodies. Super awesome to work for, invoicing is every two weeks and he pays as soon as he sees it via PayPal. American and Canadian spelling so being Canadian seems to be an asset. not sure that they're actively recruiting right now, but then again he gave me a poke during everyone else's slow season and has since been hammering me with work.

I didn't want to recommend these guys until I knew they were good to work with and that they paid on time. So far I have had nothing but positive experiences with both companies.

Do I need experience with transcribing? I suppose I'd need a foot pedal too? I'm glad to hear that there are worthwhile Canadian companies doing this.

Also, I never leave out the 'u' when spelling words that should have it. :colbert: