Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

vOv posted:

Getting a random chance to get XP gains based off FATEs would be such a mindfuckingly bad idea.

Why? I would think it would encourage people to level by playing the story quests, or by doing other open world activities, as you can always pop into a nearby FATE and possibly come out with a xp buff. Seems like they're trying to bring the open world XP gain up to the same tier as grinding dungeons / potd. Plus, it would also help when leveling additional characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Sam effectively has 3 types of skills: Weaponskills just like all the other melees, Hissatsu skills which are basically all their ogcd stuff, and Iaijutsu which is a weaponskill that has a cast time and changes based on previous actions like Ninjutsu sorta but not really. They also have 2 unique gauges, the Sen gauge and the Kenki gauge.

You have 6 base weaponskills, that work together to form 2 3-hit combos and 1 2-hit combo. Each of these combos will generate a Sen that is specific to the combo. So Kasha makes the Flower Sen, Yukikaze the Snow, and Gekko the Moon. Also, each 2nd hit applies either a buff to your or a debuff to the enemy. The 2nd hit of the Flower combo gives you attacks speed, the 2nd hit of the moon combo gives you damage up, and the snow combo gives the enemy slashing debuff. In addition to generating sens, all of these will also generate Kenki. The basic Sam rotation is to do each of your 3 combos, which will leave you with 3 sens and 40 or 45 kenki.

Hissatsu skills are what you spend Kenki on. They are all oGCD. There are 6 of them and the one you want to use is going to be dependent on some things that I'm not going to go into because I'm lazy. The most notable one to me being a gap closer that's on a 10 second cooldown and only costs 10 kenki, so Samurais will be very mobile.

Finally Iaijutsu is one of 2 ways to spend Sen, the other being Hagakure which will just convert Sen to Kenki at a rate of 20 kenki per Sen burned. Iaijutsu is 1 hotbar button that will do 1 of 3 different things depending on if you currently have 1, 2, or 3 Sen. Which Sen's or the order you acquired them in doesn't matter. At 1 Sen it's a 240 potency attack that applies a 35 potency dot for 60 seconds. At 2 sens it's a frontal cone AE with damage drop-off. At 3 sens it's a 720 potency single target hit.

Potencies are subject to change, but there you go; a basic, "What is a samurai?" guide.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I think if you swiftcast something you don't get dualcast off it? I'm not 100% sure but I remember seeing that in a video somewhere, there has to be a castbar to proc dualcast.

This is true. You specifically only get Dualcast off of spells with a cast time.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

vOv posted:

Getting a random chance to get XP gains based off FATEs would be such a mindfuckingly bad idea.

Seems like a good way to make fates worth doing if the proc rate is high enough.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Marathanes posted:

Why? I would think it would encourage people to level by playing the story quests, or by doing other open world activities, as you can always pop into a nearby FATE and possibly come out with a xp buff. Seems like they're trying to bring the open world XP gain up to the same tier as grinding dungeons / potd. Plus, it would also help when leveling additional characters.

I agree, and yeah there definitely needs to be something done to improve FATE/world exp compared to PotD.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Gumball Gumption posted:

Seems like a good way to make fates worth doing if the proc rate is high enough.

The problem I have is the randomness; if it was guaranteed then it'd be fine.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Okay I feel like I've got a handle on both new classes now

not enough to decide which I want to level though

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Saint Freak posted:

How many flamethrowers does red mage get?

All MCHs:

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Saint Freak posted:

How many flamethrowers does red mage get?

well

http://i.imgur.com/VoOn5dn.mp4

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Red Mage should've gotten Ardor :colbert:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

vOv posted:

The problem I have is the randomness; if it was guaranteed then it'd be fine.

It needs some randomness to extend out how long and often people are doing fates. If it is guaranteed then you would have too many people doing one Fate and then running off and doing other things, even if Fates are the best source of xp with the change. Some randomness helps ensure that people will be around to do fates.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Brainamp posted:

Honestly can't remember the last time tp was an issue, even when a random Arrow graces me. Purification has never been useful and still won't be as long as Invigorate is a thing.

I'd really rather it just not be rng at all.

Purification is wonderful and I am glad for it any time I run a dungeon where the other dps thinks they don't need to AoE. Which is distressingly often.

And I dunno about you, but on say Referbisher savage, I'm going to be running on fumes by the time it dies even with Invig + Purification + Goad. It isn't always needed but it's welcome for the fights where it is.

I'm a bit leery of the monk changes too, but for me it'll come down to how many free Bad Touches I get per fight and whether the potency drops make it into the final build. Yoship did say something to that effect after all.

Who knows, maybe Mantra will be super important in SB and now only monks can use it :v:

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 10, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Whoops, quote is not edit

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde
Glim-glams up to date. I'm ready for Stormblood.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
whoever said monk is the easiest melee dps job either does not play monk or does not play any job besides monk.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Finally just got around to leveling PLD to 60. What a big dumb wet fart of a job quest series, christ. (Just like their ARR series.)

Oh well, now I just gotta get WHM from 58 to 60 and I'll be fully complete on combat classes in time for Stormblood. Ready to burn the hell out of myself on PotD in the name of red magery

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Crackerjack posted:

What boots are those in the BLM pic? (nice glams, btw)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gumball Gumption posted:

It needs some randomness to extend out how long and often people are doing fates. If it is guaranteed then you would have too many people doing one Fate and then running off and doing other things, even if Fates are the best source of xp with the change. Some randomness helps ensure that people will be around to do fates.

Admittedly they could get the same effect by making it a stacking buff, like each is a 5% increase to a maximum of 30% or something.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Crackerjack posted:

Expeditioners Tabard is great. I'm using it for my RDM glamour.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm all for anything that encourages me to go anywhere except the duty roulette. I can imagine that in lull periods I would still just be doing roulettes and logging off, but when the game is hot, I bet it'd be fun to go FATE hunting. Also Ixion + water = FFX = Blitzball confirmed

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Considering we're losing accuracy and gaining a dps stay I wonder how much potency nerfs just maintain zero sum. Would that change monk much? Abilities sound too situational still.

Crackerjack
Nov 7, 2004
crackalackin

Slippery Tilde

Leofish posted:

What boots are those in the BLM pic? (nice glams, btw)

Thanks! Those feet huggers are 'high house half boots.'

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Expeditioners Tabard is great. I'm using it for my RDM glamour.

It totally is! It dyes really well too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

whoever said monk is the easiest melee dps job either does not play monk or does not play any job besides monk.

Once you get in the rhythm of monk all of the complexity of the job becomes 'oh yeah, gotta refresh that DoT' and 'wait when does this boss go invulnerable again? Oh snap right now TORNADO KI- dangit.'

Compared to the RNG of Dragoon Finishers (and keeping an eye on BOTD for Geirskogul) and having to find spots to throw in an Aeolian Edge between maintaining Huton, slashing debuff and two dots; MNK is pretty easy.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

Finally just got around to leveling PLD to 60. What a big dumb wet fart of a job quest series, christ. (Just like their ARR series.)

Oh well, now I just gotta get WHM from 58 to 60 and I'll be fully complete on combat classes in time for Stormblood. Ready to burn the hell out of myself on PotD in the name of red magery

If Alaqa or whatshername isn't going to teach me any of her sewage-aspected spells in sb I'm going to be so mad

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It's probably time for the over/under on how many WHM job quests will involve cleansing foul taints.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

I play all the melee DPS and Monk is brain fartingly easy

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I main DRG but I've been levelling my warrior in prep for SB. I keep thinking that I'm missing something because I don't have any more buttons to hit. I desire more OGCDs.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I got an email today with a code, and I guess today was the day pre-orders were supposed to be charged? But, I thought I had already gotten the code. Is this a scam? Is https://redeem.finalfantasyxiv.com/na the right site to be at?

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

so for some reason S-E hands you the code upon pre-order (without you having paid anything) and then they charge you and hand you the code again

they are not very smart

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so if I used the code before and my Mog Station shows me the dot for Stormblood Early Access, I'm good?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I preordered this afternoon and haven’t gotten poo poo. Even in the email the spot where they 18 digit code or whatever is supposed to be is just blank.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, so if I used the code before and my Mog Station shows me the dot for Stormblood Early Access, I'm good?

yeah. also, you should have the code already in your e-mail from the original order so if you just search for it it should be there

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

/checks

Yeah, you're right; it's the same code even, so I'm good.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Basically, this effortpost is useless as a guide because of Stormblood, so its only use is for people who are better at Dragoon than me to point at it and laugh

Thanks for this post

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
:same:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Say hello to DGKK's newest giraffe lady.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

drat foreigners ruining our queues :argh:

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

cheetah7071 posted:

Basically, this effortpost is useless as a guide because of Stormblood, so its only use is for people who are better at Dragoon than me to point at it and laugh

Thanks a bunch for this. I knew going in this wouldnt be a strat that would last but if it'll help get re-acclimated while i catch up its much appreciated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Are they going to improve gear rewards for 3.x quests to remove gear gaps for duties? Did they do this for 2.x?

• Locked thread