Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The sky in end sequence with hdr lighting was wow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I really need to see wtf HDR actually looks like. I have no frame of reference.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I assume Scorpio will have a 4k blu-ray player like the xbone s. That's still a big selling point. Even though no one really needs it, the players are still really expensive

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Someone recently lent me Until Dawn, and while it ended up being as cliche and 'one in ten choices actually matter' as I expected, has anyone actually done a similar 'movie with QTEs' style of game that's actually good?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rinkles posted:

I really need to see wtf HDR actually looks like. I have no frame of reference.

It makes lighting look much more real. Its not really a huge deal but sometimes you see something that blows you away. It also makes dark environments look correct because there are so many more subtle shades of dark they can use and you dont need to crank up game brightness to see anything.

Nothing revolutionary but cool

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Doom is the first game I have played that makes my PS4 sound like a jet engine. I guess that means its well optimized and is pulling everything out of the PS4's hardware.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Real hurthling! posted:

It also makes dark environments look correct because there are so many more subtle shades of dark they can use and you dont need to crank up game brightness to see anything.

That's the most compelling thing I've heard about it. That's a problem I've been having more with recent games (that's not how the human eye works, games).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rinkles posted:

That's the most compelling thing I've heard about it. That's a problem I've been having more with recent games (that's not how the human eye works, games).

I think what you are referring to is more of a stylistic choice and wouldn't change what much in HDR.

I don't have an HDR TV but it does make colors look really nice. Played some HZD in HDR and it really popped more. It's pretty subtle unless you are looking at a side by side though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wolfsheim posted:

Someone recently lent me Until Dawn, and while it ended up being as cliche and 'one in ten choices actually matter' as I expected, has anyone actually done a similar 'movie with QTEs' style of game that's actually good?

Yeah, Until Dawn

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Until Dawn is a lot more modal than you give it credit for, there are quite a lot of branching paths of where characters can die compared to basically any other choice-based narrative game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Until Dawn is literally the best implementation of "choices matter" in a primarily narrative driven game. Like, if it's not good enough for you, that's fine, cause I wasn't to impressed with it, but there's no game in the genre that has more things that matter.

Like, Witcher 3 does "choices matter" really well, but it's not really the same genre, and it does it well because it's changing the endings of lots of smaller stories drastically, rather than trying to change the final ending.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Doom is the first game I have played that makes my PS4 sound like a jet engine. I guess that means its well optimized and is pulling everything out of the PS4's hardware.

I just recently started playing HZD and it's definitely putting my launch PS4 to test. I don't remember Doom making the fan sound as loud as Horizon does.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm playing Trico and wow they weren't kidding about the constant unstoppable input tutorials. So those never go away?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm playing Trico and wow they weren't kidding about the constant unstoppable input tutorials. So those never go away?

Never ever!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they do. after like 2 hrs they get rare and after 3 or 4 they stop

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

they do. after like 2 hrs they get rare and after 3 or 4 they stop

Nope, they don't. The "Press X to drop from ledge" one in particular comes up every time you hang from a ledge.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Has anyone else been spammed by webcam girls on PSN yet? I did not realize PSN was being used in this way, though I guess I'm not all that surprised.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DrNutt posted:

Has anyone else been spammed by webcam girls on PSN yet? I did not realize PSN was being used in this way, though I guess I'm not all that surprised.

No webcam girls yet, but I still get the occasional "FREE PSN CODE GENERATOR" bullshit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think I have it set so that I can't receive messages from people that aren't on my friends list, which is something you might consider if that kind of thing bothers you

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Manatee Cannon posted:

I think I have it set so that I can't receive messages from people that aren't on my friends list, which is something you might consider if that kind of thing bothers you

It didn't really bother me, I just hadn't received a message from anyone not on my friend's list before. It was like this random message going "hey you" and I replied thinking maybe it was someone I knew, and then the conversation shifted to "btw I do webcam shows" and I asked if she did stuff like put shoes on her head.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

You pretty much have to do this now. The PSN spam is out of control.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow. Prey is really loving hard and doesn't hold your hand much at all does it?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

Wow. Prey is really loving hard and doesn't hold your hand much at all does it?

yeah you are like tissue paper

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tissue paper with no guns and enemies that that have more heath than you.

I kind of like it. Feels like proper survival. It's pretty frustrating at times though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The difficulty curve in that game goes from "Everything can kill me :ohdear: " to "I can kill everything :getin: " pretty quickly, I thought. By the end, unless you went with a no mod run, you are either the Doom Marine or Corvo from Dishonored

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I have like 600 friends or w/e thanks to the PSN app a couple years back and being dumb. Anyways, never once got a shady/spammy message

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Snak posted:

Until Dawn is literally the best implementation of "choices matter" in a primarily narrative driven game. Like, if it's not good enough for you, that's fine, cause I wasn't to impressed with it, but there's no game in the genre that has more things that matter.

Like, Witcher 3 does "choices matter" really well, but it's not really the same genre, and it does it well because it's changing the endings of lots of smaller stories drastically, rather than trying to change the final ending.

Eh, makes sense. It just seems like replaying it so much of it would be basically the same, especially because everything related to the fake killer ends up not really mattering, and even the framing device of Peter Stormare lecturing you just kinda awkwardly fizzles. Also, it doesn't seem like Mike or Sam can even die until near the very end, so a lot of the bits with them running away or climbing or whatever seem pretty superfluous when you realize that. I guess I was just disappointed that it had so much missed potential after such a strong start.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Is the PS4 Pro really 150 dollars better than plain ol' slim? Like, I get that The Last Guardian is only truly playable on the Pro, but beyond that do I need it if I don't care that much about visual quality?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Is the PS4 Pro really 150 dollars better than plain ol' slim? Like, I get that The Last Guardian is only truly playable on the Pro, but beyond that do I need it if I don't care that much about visual quality?

no but its nice to have if you got a new tv

also i think its just 100 more for e3 week

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

nope

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, most games have a completely identical story on a replay. Maybe a bit of dialogue is changed.

I'm actually not defending Until Dawn, because I found it really underwhelming and not particularly engaging. But what it does do, it does better than any other game that's attempted it.

It's not so much "wasted potential", as it is extremely resource expensive to provide truly branching paths. You'd basically have to make the content of a 20 hour game for a 5 hour game with significant story divergence, as well as have really good writers to map out a huge interconnected map of story outcomes.

It's a huge amount of work, and I really hope it does get done some day, but I'm not surprised at all that nothing has come close to actually doing that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Real hurthling! posted:

no but its nice to have if you got a new tv

also i think its just 100 more for e3 week

Alrighty then.

I'll watch the conference to be 100% sure, but I guess I'll jump in on the deal for the golden one, then. I'm glad it was timed so well for me specifically.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Tried Life is Strange. Found it to be as boring as expected, but i don't really like the genre so that's on me. But, boy is that game hideous. Every character looks like a nightmare. Geez.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DrNutt posted:

I've been getting a few but largely ignoring them. Thanks to the new notification system though they get to stay forever until my fiance notices!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Tried Life is Strange. Found it to be as boring as expected, but i don't really like the genre so that's on me. But, boy is that game hideous. Every character looks like a nightmare. Geez.

It opened with the character saying "where am I, why am I here, what happened" and I turned it off immediately.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

JBP posted:

It opened with the character saying "where am I, why am I here, what happened" and I turned it off immediately.

It's not amnesia, if that helps.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's still a loving horrible way to start any kind of story when I don't know who the character is and don't care about them.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That has to be one of the most frivilous reasons for ever not continuing with a game. That sequence takes all of 30 seconds and is an important framing device for the entire story. It's not a superfluous scene.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It's a free game and I don't want more of that. The voice acting and set up was bad, so I'm going to play something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
lmao