Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
9S actually owns

I was really hoping the start of [B] was the actual run

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

[C] is where the real game begins, and you get to play as A2 which means the game goes back to being fun.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
She is good an fun but I really wish there was more of HER in the game

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Same goes for 2B really. You get the least personal insight into her out of all the characters and in the end her main role is driving 9S' character arc

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Don't get me wrong 9S is a good boy but it gets blebby when you do a route twice

I mean I didn't even notice until the forest and I was like hey wait a second didn't I just do all of this

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

When I'm playing as 9S I always make sure to kill every snake looking robot I see out of spite.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nina posted:

Same goes for 2B really. You get the least personal insight into her out of all the characters and in the end her main role is driving 9S' character arc

You get plenty of insight into 2B, I think. The catch is, you only get it in hindsight.

Her stoic attitude, her weird obsession with 9S after apparently only knowing him for half an hour, the way she talks about memories, her fatalism, it all clicks into place with the 2E reveal. Instead of being an enigma, she's got specific, clear motives for her whole deal.

But it takes a replay or a good memory to make it click into place. In the moment, it's just more angst for 9S, and in the previous parts of the game, 2B's a mass of apparent contradictions with minimal insight into how she ticks. Meanwhile, 9S's deal is all out in the open. Makes a difference.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Was 9S's nickname something that each version of him remembered or something that just that last one came up with? I don't think that is addressed in the game unless I missed it and 2B's hesitance to use it could work either way really. Like, was he back to the original 9S each death or did he have some memories that were kept each time and only lost the critical information like finding out about the humans and whatnot? Also was 2B specifically killing that 9S repeatedly or did she kill other ones too, like the black haired ones we see occasionally?

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

chiasaur11 posted:

You get plenty of insight into 2B, I think. The catch is, you only get it in hindsight.

Her stoic attitude, her weird obsession with 9S after apparently only knowing him for half an hour, the way she talks about memories, her fatalism, it all clicks into place with the 2E reveal. Instead of being an enigma, she's got specific, clear motives for her whole deal.

But it takes a replay or a good memory to make it click into place. In the moment, it's just more angst for 9S, and in the previous parts of the game, 2B's a mass of apparent contradictions with minimal insight into how she ticks. Meanwhile, 9S's deal is all out in the open. Makes a difference.

It all still revolves around 9S and that's disappointing writing IMO

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nina posted:

And 9S revolves around 2B. They're a matched set.

It's just 2B handles her issues better.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So... Finished routes A, B, C & K. I guess I have to do some replaying to get D completed.

:smith: is my summary of the game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ularg posted:

So... Finished routes A, B, C & K. I guess I have to do some replaying to get D completed.

:smith: is my summary of the game.

Not much replaying. You can make a different decision at the final fight from the chapter select and get right to it.

Nice and quick.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Nina posted:

He's pretty much the main character of the game though so it's not surprising.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
I'm working on getting the rest of the weapons and upgrading them. My bottleneck seems to be black pearls. I think I can buy everything else I need from Emil, Pascal, or the Amusement Park shop. Is there a shop for those and if not, where is the best place to farm them? Adam boss fight pit in the desert?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm working on getting the rest of the weapons and upgrading them. My bottleneck seems to be black pearls. I think I can buy everything else I need from Emil, Pascal, or the Amusement Park shop. Is there a shop for those and if not, where is the best place to farm them? Adam boss fight pit in the desert?

According to the wiki they're sold by the park shop once you beat route C once.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Park guy does sell those. Are you at the end of the game?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Yeah, cool. Last time I went there he only sold normal pearls.

After getting A-E, is the secret shop for cheevos and end game items in shops available even if you chapter select to Route A or B?

Now all I need to do is pump some levels for Emil. I'm at lvl 66.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 9, 2017

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

rio posted:

Was 9S's nickname something that each version of him remembered or something that just that last one came up with?

Former seems more likely since a Scanner unit in a route C/D quest knows about the nickname and asks if he can call 9S that.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Finally finished this game completely this morning

What an experience, I'll start with my criticisms...I did not like the challenge of the combat, I went in expecting Bayonetta or Devil May Cry style fighting and it disappointed me that wasn't the design the game chose. As a result I ended up dropping the combat to easy about 8 hours in. Frankly I don't think that's a big factor in critiquing Nier: A, if you personally enjoy the combat, it's fine, if not the game explicitly offers you an alternative to cater to all skill and attention levels.

This game invokes feelings that no other game has for me personally. I don't want to gush about it too much because I'll end up having to make a wall of spoiler text but as a video game experience I think it's an utter master-piece. No game has left me feeling so empty yet so accomplished at the same time. Reading talk of this being a game of the year candidate or peoples favourite game ever early in the thread sounded totally hyperbolic but having wrapped things up I can only say that praise was deservedly on point. Masterpiece.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Any good grinding spots for the late game? I am busy trying to up my level for the ultimate secret boss.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Any good grinding spots for the late game? I am busy trying to up my level for the ultimate secret boss.

Go to the golden bunny in the amusement park entrance and smack it around for a few minutes with 9s (personally I just threw combat bracers at it over and over again) and then hack it when it wakes up.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

While I never read the series (I mostly know about it from snarky podcasts), it occurred to me that Yoko Taro would be the perfect person to make an Elric of Melnebone game.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Saagonsa posted:

Go to the golden bunny in the amusement park entrance and smack it around for a few minutes with 9s (personally I just threw combat bracers at it over and over again) and then hack it when it wakes up.

you can also remote control hack one of the other robots hanging around and then hack the bunny. Sometimes the target lock on the bunny is wonky so you might need to clear out some of the other bots first (use the tall gunner to do that).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

you can also remote control hack one of the other robots hanging around and then hack the bunny. Sometimes the target lock on the bunny is wonky so you might need to clear out some of the other bots first (use the tall gunner to do that).

They patched this out.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn

SirPhoebos posted:

While I never read the series (I mostly know about it from snarky podcasts), it occurred to me that Yoko Taro would be the perfect person to make an Elric of Melnebone game.

Can you please elaborate on this? I've read one Elric book and consumed unhealthy amounts of Elric-related music before I picked it up or even started playing The Witcher series. I want to know what makes you think this :dance:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Dabir posted:

They patched this out.

really? that's dumb. I hadn't paid attention, sorry.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I finished Route C, getting Ending D. After how disappointing I found Route B, Route C was a hell of a lot better.

Loved 9S going insane, thought the fate of Pascal's village was sad as poo poo, and loved the unexpected WTF that was going into the reconstruction of the library from the first NieR.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Feast of Burden posted:

Can you please elaborate on this? I've read one Elric book and consumed unhealthy amounts of Elric-related music before I picked it up or even started playing The Witcher series. I want to know what makes you think this :dance:

Could be just that Taro Yoko games tend to have protagonists who are at the root of their own suffering, in a cruel world where killing people still has serious consequences.

At least, that's what comes to mind for me.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I got an hour into the concert reading last night and it is basically required for anyone wondering about the characters' history. It also answered my question about 9S's nickname. I'm looking forward to finishing it tonight.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Raxivace posted:

I finished Route C, getting Ending D. After how disappointing I found Route B, Route C was a hell of a lot better.

Loved 9S going insane, thought the fate of Pascal's village was sad as poo poo, and loved the unexpected WTF that was going into the reconstruction of the library from the first NieR.

I appreciate Route B because it expands upon the world and the addition they make to the ending is a good little wtf moment to tempt you into Route C.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Raxivace posted:

C/D wouldn't be anywhere near as impactful as it was if B wasn't in the game. B is crucial layering.

Anyway, I was going to get weapons and do the Emil boss fight but I decided last night that would be against the spirit of E. So I went through with Pod 153s request. Even deleted the game from my PC. This is my GOTY and I don't see anything topping it.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 11, 2017

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Look Sir Droids posted:

This is my GOTY and I don't see anything topping it.

I thought the same for a while, and while Persona 5 has topped it for me, Nier: Automata is a CLOSE second.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Mazerunner posted:

Easiest way to wake him up is to equip the Blade pod program, charge it up to level 3, and then loose it while just standing next to him.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I just watched an "honest trailer" for Automata where they refer to Pascal as Rockem Sockem Feelbot and now I'm not going to bed because I'm laughing too hard.

also, Nier characters just got announced to get added into Final Fantasy Brave Exvius (the mobile game)! 2B is the rare and probably good one, 9S is uncommon, and the common unit is for some reason Operator 21O?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Look Sir Droids posted:

This is my GOTY and I don't see anything topping it.

I played Zelda before this and was so sure that it was the GOTY. Then I decided to take a break and went into Nier blind expecting some mindless Platinum fun and ended up being blown away. I still think Zelda will end up winning the popular vote, but as an entire package, Nier surpasses it. Just these two games made March 2017 a legendary month for gaming in my mind.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

I thought the same for a while, and while Persona 5 has topped it for me, Nier: Automata is a CLOSE second.

This but slightly reversed for me. Horizon and BotW and maybe RE7 aren't far behind them, but it's a clear Nier #1 Persona #2 for me this year so far.

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Zerilan posted:

This but slightly reversed for me. Horizon and BotW and maybe RE7 aren't far behind them, but it's a clear Nier #1 Persona #2 for me this year so far.

Same. I really enjoyed Persona 5 - but when it came down to it, it was an outstanding JRPG. No more, no less.

Did I get invested in it? Obviously. It's impossible not to get invested in the adventure of dumb high school students and a cat. Was it a game that still takes up bits of my brain space? Not to the extent NieR:Automata does.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I felt that Nier was fun and poignant, but it didn't speak to me as Horizon did.

Mainly because of differences in their themes. Nier is about the meaningless of existence, and the need to make your own meaning. Horizon says that even if everything is hopeless, doom is inevitable, existence is still worth fighting and dying for.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Phobophilia posted:

I felt that Nier was fun and poignant, but it didn't speak to me as Horizon did.

Mainly because of differences in their themes. Nier is about the meaningless of existence, and the need to make your own meaning. Horizon says that even if everything is hopeless, doom is inevitable, existence is still worth fighting and dying for.

But the final theme is the opposite though? Life has no inherent meaning but the struggle for it is valuable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Nina posted:

But the final theme is the opposite though? Life has no inherent meaning but the struggle for it is valuable

Yeah, Nier A also ends with the hope of self-determination. There was hope the cycle was broken.