Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

inscrutable horse posted:

So, what's the usual procedure on surplus codes? I've already got a copy of Rebel Galaxy, and so do all my friends, so I might as well give it away.

Thank you for reminding me.

I have codes for Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves and Mount and Blade, upon request. They never expire, but no point sitting on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I've considered picking up one of the various D&D collections, but what puts me off (aside from my backlog of unfinished RPGs) is the age of some of the games and the difficulty. The Gold Box games like Pool of Radiance and Death Knights of Krynn are revered, but interface-wise, they seem pretty archaic and difficult to grapple with. In terms of difficulty, I've heard that the second and third Eye of the Beholder games really easy unless you've imported a party from the previous game.

The titles that really catch my eye are the lesser known ones like Menzoberranzan or the ones that aren't set in Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance (Dark Sun, Ravenloft, etc.).

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
I assume you meant they're really easy IF you've imported a previous party.

For these games, you're certainly expected to read the manual, and the earlier Gold Box games lack some comfort functions, but there's a reason why they were such a big success. The interface itself isn't hard to figure out; what might take the longest is to learn which spells are actually useful, and which are under-performing and not worth memorizing. Without knowing more about your RPG preferences I can't say much more, but if you played and liked the Baldur's Gate games, playing some of the Gold Boxes will not be too unfamiliar.

Eye of the Beholder I & II are both still nicely atmospheric, but the third one was no longer developed by Westwood and was something of a letdown. Menzoberranzan (and the Ravenloft games, which I haven't played) is pretty much an evolution of the EOB formula, with smooth 2.5D movement instead of the earlier step based one. I wasn't all that impressed by Menzo back in the day, but the Ravenloft games had a unique setting and some acclaim in reviews I read back then. Dark Sun 1 is also supposed to be very good.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

I assume you meant they're really easy IF you've imported a previous party.

For these games, you're certainly expected to read the manual, and the earlier Gold Box games lack some comfort functions, but there's a reason why they were such a big success. The interface itself isn't hard to figure out; what might take the longest is to learn which spells are actually useful, and which are under-performing and not worth memorizing. Without knowing more about your RPG preferences I can't say much more, but if you played and liked the Baldur's Gate games, playing some of the Gold Boxes will not be too unfamiliar.

Eye of the Beholder I & II are both still nicely atmospheric, but the third one was no longer developed by Westwood and was something of a letdown. Menzoberranzan (and the Ravenloft games, which I haven't played) is pretty much an evolution of the EOB formula, with smooth 2.5D movement instead of the earlier step based one. I wasn't all that impressed by Menzo back in the day, but the Ravenloft games had a unique setting and some acclaim in reviews I read back then. Dark Sun 1 is also supposed to be very good.

I actually meant that the second and third games would be a real struggle (if not nearly impossible) if you didn't import your characters from the previous game, but looking at the article about Eye of the Beholder on HG101, you are correct.

HG101 | Eye the Beholder 2 posted:

Just as in the first game, you are then given the option to build your own characters or import the characters you created in the first Eye of the Beholder. If you choose to import a party, they will retain their skills and most of their armor. This makes the game much easier, as imported characters should already have excellent equipment and spells very early on.

There's also a passage describing the issues with EotB3.

HG101 | Eye the Beholder 3 posted:

Although Eye of the Beholder III remains unchanged at first sight, there were some changes from its predecessors, most notably being the absence of Westwood Studios as the developers (who went on to create the Lands of Lore series). Instead SSI developed the game in-house using a new game engine, SSI's very own AESOP/16 engine (also used for the SSI game Dungeon Hack). While the game did bolster larger environments to explore and impressive looking enemies, it was hampered by the performance of AESOP/16. Not only did the game have high hardware requirements, but it would skip and stutter along choppily due to poor memory management. This is immediately off putting, as the slow-down during battles causes the game to drag along where the previous two games played very quickly.

Even when setting the performance issues aside, Eye of the Beholder III still falls short of the success garnered by its predecessors. While it is very much the same game, the level design was expanded and enemy difficulty was ramped up. The larger levels bring back the same headaches found in the first game. More often than not you'll find yourself aimlessly wandering around searching for a small switch on a wall or a hidden door just to progress in the game. Factoring in the unbalanced difficulty of the enemies, who can now kill your characters in just a few hits, you're left with an experience that just isn't enjoyable.

I have played Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (in fact, I still need to finish BG2), and I think they're pretty good games, but it took a long time before I felt like I had some kind of decent grasp on the games, and even now I'm still not really confident in my ability to play Infinity Engine games, especially now that I realize that I haven't played BG2EE in almost a year (I stopped at the start of Chapter 6).

As far as RPG preferences go, I don't really know what that would be. One of my favorite games is Fallout New Vegas, because in addition to the combat being really satisfying, exploration is fun, and the skills you specialize in give you options to resolve quests using different methods. I think the other thing that puts me off from the older D&D games is that it seems like you spend most or all of your time trudging through dungeons, and that doesn't feel as interesting as exploring towns and speaking to characters.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jun 10, 2017

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

So, what's the usual procedure on surplus codes? I've already got a copy of Rebel Galaxy, and so do all my friends, so I might as well give it away.

Me too, should I just post it in here and edit it out when someone claims?

Although of all the threads this one is probably also full of people with Rebel Galaxy already

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I don't have rebel galaxy. Is the neogeo baseball game worth getting? Didn't look like there was anything I wanted jn the sale :/

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

ilmucche posted:

I don't have rebel galaxy. Is the neogeo baseball game worth getting? Didn't look like there was anything I wanted jn the sale :/

It's a real fun game with the quality of spriting that you expect from SNK.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I have fond memories of Baseball Stars on the NES, but with the snarky comments on all the other NeoGeo games and their associated emulation complaints on GOG, I've held back.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Testekill posted:

Seconded. I have it on an SNK collection disc on my PSP, and I play it regularly. It's good arcadey fun, though kind of too easy if you abuse the Big Bat (you'll see what I mean soon enough)

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

fast cars loose anus posted:

Me too, should I just post it in here and edit it out when someone claims?

Although of all the threads this one is probably also full of people with Rebel Galaxy already

Sounds like we need some sort of code giveaway megathread.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Testekill posted:

Cool. I'll give it a buy then. Always looking for fun baseball games on PC, and this should hold me until Super Mega Baseball 2 comes out.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
Alan Wake's American Nightmare, anyone?

VUG59682EAF9653C9F

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Hannibal Rex posted:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare, anyone?

VUG59682EAF9653C9F

gotcha

Thank you a lot

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Oh excellent, we have a GOG thread.

Anyone else want an Alan Wake's American Nightmare?

VUG587CECDCA546A5F

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I bought Killing Time.

I kind of love that there's a PC release of this weirdass 3DO game, but not being able to use keyboard and mouse at the same time without the two fighting against each other is a real bummer.

To save you all a trip to the site, it's a FPS that uses FMV actors in the middle of the game world to tell the story. It's got a horror theme, so the idea is you see a ghostly icon, approach it, wait for a bit, and then watch some ghosts do some poo poo. Sometimes they talk to you. The gunplay is pretty solid, if uninspired.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Here's a code for Alan Wake's American Nightmare for anyone who wants it:

VUG57B6405332664EB

Sdoots posted:

I bought Killing Time.

I kind of love that there's a PC release of this weirdass 3DO game, but not being able to use keyboard and mouse at the same time without the two fighting against each other is a real bummer.

To save you all a trip to the site, it's a FPS that uses FMV actors in the middle of the game world to tell the story. It's got a horror theme, so the idea is you see a ghostly icon, approach it, wait for a bit, and then watch some ghosts do some poo poo. Sometimes they talk to you. The gunplay is pretty solid, if uninspired.
I haven't played Killing Time that much yet, but I know what you mean about the control conflicting between the mouse and the keyboard. It lets you move around just by moving the mouse (sort of like ECWolf does it), and if you slide you mouse around fast enough, I think you can actually go faster than the game intends you to.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 15, 2017

O_Kafetzis
Feb 15, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a few gift codes kicking around:
Mount & Blade:
C33F6-BC787-43887-15CBB

Neverwinter Nights Diamond:
CFDAB-39DC5-27354-D483D

Torchlight:
HFUB-XP3P-8MBE-7Z2G

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

O_Kafetzis posted:

Torchlight:
HFUB-XP3P-8MBE-7Z2G

Grabbed this, thanks muchly! :tipshat:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

is there any way to download old unpatched versions of games

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

is there any way to download old unpatched versions of games

You can through the GOG Galaxy client, though it's a bit hidden:

1. Install the current version of the game.
2. Go to the More -> Settings section and uncheck "Automatically update to newest version"
3. Then a list of available versions should appear below that, and you can select which one you want to revert to.

I don't know if every version is available this way, though.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Halibut Barn posted:

You can through the GOG Galaxy client, though it's a bit hidden:

1. Install the current version of the game.
2. Go to the More -> Settings section and uncheck "Automatically update to newest version"
3. Then a list of available versions should appear below that, and you can select which one you want to revert to.

I don't know if every version is available this way, though.

yeah only the last few unfortunately

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

O_Kafetzis posted:

Neverwinter Nights Diamond:
CFDAB-39DC5-27354-D483D

lol Ive tried to claim this one and found that I already own it

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Fantasy General is free for a limited time. Includes soundtrack.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Another Alan Wake's *merican Nightmare, for anyone that hasn't picked it up yet:

CCQ39BC0*32354D90U

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!
And another American Nightmare code:

CCQ38A6**93807**0T

** = The Backstabbing Bastard who betrayed Max Payne

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
Yet another American Nightmare code:

CCQ38ECC9A175513NU

And also a Rogue Galaxy code:

HUR38ECC9A175513FV

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?

Brightman posted:

And also a Rogue Galaxy code:

HUR38ECC9A175513FV

Thanks, dude. Got this one.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Brightman posted:

Yet another American Nightmare code:

CCQ38ECC9A175513NU

Lurked. Thanks anyway.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

doctorfrog posted:

I have fond memories of Baseball Stars on the NES, but with the snarky comments on all the other NeoGeo games and their associated emulation complaints on GOG, I've held back.

I bought the Neo Geo games on Humble when they launched in a big bundle, and while the stock emulator is butt and has an annoying publisher splash screen you can play the games just fine in MAME. At worst these packages are a legal source for the ROM.

Silentlocke
Feb 13, 2008
Fantasy General 9BE58-BB1CD-675EC-E8E83

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Some codes for ya:

Fantasy General: More taken than Liam Neeson
Rebel Galaxy: Goner than the wind

inscrutable horse fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 18, 2017

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Some codes for ya:

Fantasy General: EA7FC-A653B-DE94B-51393

Grabbed, thanks

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Silentlocke posted:

Fantasy General 9BE58-BB1CD-675EC-E8E83
Cheers matey

Gorilla Desperado
Oct 9, 2012

Some codes for ya:

Rebel Galaxy: 8RHQ671BE9C4744580

Oh this looks interesting, thanks :cheers:

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Fantasy General: E8741-1F493-59A55-9ECB9

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ardlen posted:

Fantasy General: E8741-1F493-59A55-9ECB9

thank

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
I have an extra code for Fantasy General too, DEC56-1EB29-D4B62-75F14

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

Tried to get this, but it's been claimed

Hollenhammer
Dec 6, 2005

AbstractNapper posted:

Spoiler tags won't stop the bots that supposedly crawl to claim codes like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Yeah, it got claimed by someone.
GOG actually shows which GOG user has claimed it, I didn't know they were doing that.
Anyway, I wish they would mention claiming it so others wouldn't have to try and get an error message.

I'm not very fond of trying tricks to make the lurkers or I guess bots' life more difficult...

I have a code from GOG April's giveaway for Saints Row 2
BC5A1-E1ED6-4NN6B-1AE3E

except NN should be replaced by the first two letters of my user name.