Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Henchman of Santa posted:

This is all sketch comedy except for the ones that are always bad. Chappelle's Show is probably the most consistent good one.

Chappelle Show and Mr. Show almost always hit with me. Key and Peele only hits about 20% of the time but when it hits it really hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Mu Zeta posted:

Even with shorter intros TV shows are just way shorter now. I saw an old episode of ER from like 1994 and the running time was 53 minutes. That's 10 minutes longer than Lost.

I love Better Call Saul, but I buy the Amazon version since I can rarely watch it in real time (and besides we just got cable, just found out yesterday that we even have AMC), and it just hit home to me that even though I love the show, there's only about 36 minutes of actual show per hour.

At least with Amazon I don't have to watch the commercials...

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I love Better Call Saul, but I buy the Amazon version since I can rarely watch it in real time (and besides we just got cable, just found out yesterday that we even have AMC), and it just hit home to me that even though I love the show, there's only about 36 minutes of actual show per hour.

At least with Amazon I don't have to watch the commercials...

Watching it live is awful with commercials. It feels like more commercial than show.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
The last few seasons of Louie had the best titles, about 3 seconds of the name in white on a black background

Just watched the first episode of American Gods and the title, while stylish, went on forever. Hope that's just because it was the opening episode.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

starkebn posted:

The last few seasons of Louie had the best titles, about 3 seconds of the name in white on a black background

Just watched the first episode of American Gods and the title, while stylish, went on forever. Hope that's just because it was the opening episode.

Nah it's always that long. Hannibal had a good short one.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Orange is the New Black is an entire loving song.

American Horror Story's intro is good once or twice to see all the poo poo. After that it's just dull.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Clients showing up ridiculously early for their appointments. Ten minutes early is fine. Fifteen's a little awkward but doable.

Half an hour early is a different appointment altogether.

An hour early is a different appointment altogether!

You people are setting these times, stick to them. If you're gonna be that early, at least call first!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Writer Cath posted:

Clients showing up ridiculously early for their appointments. Ten minutes early is fine. Fifteen's a little awkward but doable.

Half an hour early is a different appointment altogether.

An hour early is a different appointment altogether!

You people are setting these times, stick to them. If you're gonna be that early, at least call first!

Related: when doctors/dentists tell you to come in 15-30 minutes early (or whatever) and you still don't get seen until an hour past your original appointment. In those cases they are the ones setting the times, not me. I know why they end up constantly being backed up, but it's still very annoying. It would be nice to have some kind of mobile app that estimates delays like they have for trains/buses so you can avoid sitting in the waiting room for an hour+.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Related: when doctors/dentists tell you to come in 15-30 minutes early (or whatever) and you still don't get seen until an hour past your original appointment. In those cases they are the ones setting the times, not me. I know why they end up constantly being backed up, but it's still very annoying. It would be nice to have some kind of mobile app that estimates delays like they have for trains/buses so you can avoid sitting in the waiting room for an hour+.

It might be nice for an individual but it would 100% lead to more and longer delays, and probably the doctor seeing fewer patients. Everyone using the app would adjust the times they showed up, most likely taking the estimated delay as gospel rather than the vague ballpark dart-throw that it would be, and two things would happen:

1) Nobody would be around to take advantage of the rare instances where a previous appointment finishes EARLY (which does happen when the stars align)
2) The people who are utterly incapable of being on time for anything in their loving lives would introduce even more delay into the queue than they already do, making it worse for everybody.

I just have to remind myself that medicine is highly individual and delays are just going to happen, and that I'd rather the doctor not process each patient in and out of their room like an assembly-line worker because that means I'm going to have a better chance of getting the personalized care that I need.

The last doctor I went to couldn't get out of the room fast enough and I had to ask questions like, "what caused this and how do I prevent it from happening again?" which you'd loving think a doctor would be interested in just telling me unprompted, but no. Treat the symptom and get me the gently caress out so money can change hands. That's my peeve contribution this week: doctors that operate this way.

Che Delilas has a new favorite as of 11:29 on Jun 7, 2017

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still
I submitted a time off request over a month ago, and it still hasn't been approved or rejected! It's only for 3 days, I don't know why they would ever have to loving deliberate on it for over a month. Either you can do it or you can't. I don't give a gently caress if they reject it, but I need to KNOW so I can make new plans, especially considering I apparently have to submit any new requests several months in advance!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Nettles Coterie posted:

I submitted a time off request over a month ago, and it still hasn't been approved or rejected! It's only for 3 days, I don't know why they would ever have to loving deliberate on it for over a month. Either you can do it or you can't. I don't give a gently caress if they reject it, but I need to KNOW so I can make new plans, especially considering I apparently have to submit any new requests several months in advance!

Related, I had a vacation request put in last year in July for a week off in November. Scheduling basically ghosted me and ignored all my e-mails and phone calls until they approved the vacation two days before I was on the drat plane :mad: At least tell us what the hold up is, the silence is worse than the waiting

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Nettles Coterie posted:

Lol you assume they've given it even a moment's thought or have seen it at all.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Inspector 34 posted:

Lol you assume they've given it even a moment's thought or have seen it at all.

Yeah once they are forced to actually look at it they act pretty fast. This is why I never ever ask questions/for travel requests etc by email - they'll never get answered in time, but if you go bug them in person they are more likely to help you out. If they are particularly stubborn ("busy") just stop by every day asking about it and eventually they'll get annoyed enough to do it to make you go away.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I always made a point of asking my old boss about holiday when his boss was present. Surprisingly, I never saw a request "lost" or forgotten about once I started doing that...

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

docbeard posted:

How long could a "Keven Conroy, obviously," conversation possibly take?

Unless it's about live action, then it's just "Adam West, duh".

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And tv shows where the full recap/intro is preserved on netflix.

I'm watching Shameless on netflix and by god I do not need a minutes-long recap followed by opening credits before every episode in this format.

Also since I'm not finished I can't comment on the current situation, but unless Fiona changes radically she's a gross, hypocritical shithead and by far my least favourite character on this show. It irks me whenever she's shown in a good light.

I just wish there was a little button that you could flip on or off for the intro/recap. Some shows you want to immediately skip, but some are fun to listen to. Futurama, for instance, I always want to hear because it's fun and short.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I don't know if this belongs here or the unpopular opinion thread, but it is annoying so...Adults who say "tummy" when they aren't talking to a child are weird as hell and I don't want to know them. It reminds me of that one story that gets posted a lot either in the stdh or aug thread of a guy getting punched really hard "in the tummy".

Like with most words I think sound ridiculously childish but end up actually be the commonly used version in other countries, I won't be surprised if someone informs me that's how the british/australians say it. I still think it sounds incredibly silly.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

As an Australian, "tummy" makes me wince too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Yeah it's always sounded weird tummy

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

This is a pretty common complaint and I know it at least partially has to do with the TV, but: movies with unbalanced audio where the dialogue is an order of magnitude+ quieter than the music/screaming/shooting/whatever. This has been a problem for decades, sort it out TV/movie people.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Murder mystery shows/intrigue shows are the worst for that. I have to turn the volume way the gently caress up to hear what they've figured out for the mystery, and then suddenly my headphones loving explode because ACTION SCREAMY BOOM BOOM GUNSHOT SCREAAAAAM

please, I'm already partially deaf, don't do this to me.

There's a few podcasts I had to stop listening to because the ads in the middle were SO loving LOUD.

A separate audio peeve: desynced audio. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. especially if it's only a little bit off.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sociopastry posted:

A separate audio peeve: desynced audio. I don't know why it bothers me so much, but it does. especially if it's only a little bit off.

I hate the latter thing too a lot because I inevitably spend several minutes staring really close at it trying to determine if it's really off or if I'm just imagining it.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

YES. Exactly! I hate it most when the audio is slightly ahead of what's going on. Are they spoiling things ahead of time or???? Nope, just desynced.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I accidentally spoiled a really interesting episode of Iron Man (a dvd of the old cartoon) with MODOK falling for a human girl - I wanted to see where it was going, but unfortunately I noticed the episode was desynched noticably, and after I pointed it out my brother couldn't unsee it and found it impossible to continue.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

I don't know if this belongs here or the unpopular opinion thread, but it is annoying so...Adults who say "tummy" when they aren't talking to a child are weird as hell and I don't want to know them. It reminds me of that one story that gets posted a lot either in the stdh or aug thread of a guy getting punched really hard "in the tummy".

Like with most words I think sound ridiculously childish but end up actually be the commonly used version in other countries, I won't be surprised if someone informs me that's how the british/australians say it. I still think it sounds incredibly silly.

This is a pretty common complaint and I know it at least partially has to do with the TV, but: movies with unbalanced audio where the dialogue is an order of magnitude+ quieter than the music/screaming/shooting/whatever. This has been a problem for decades, sort it out TV/movie people.

:agreed:

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

Orange is the New Black is an entire loving song.

I like Regina Spektor, but that poo poo's inexcusable.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I do not like regina spektor, so that poo poo's intolerable.

Also gonna complain again about intros with flashing lights/strobes. I can't watch that poo poo without an instant migraine/nausea, so anything with that in the intro is right out. I wanted to watch the American Gods show that came out because I liked the book so much, but man, I can't handle that intro, and I'm annoyed at having to either close my eyes and turn away from the screen or leave the room until it's done.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Which movies have this sound imbalance? Maybe you guys have something messed up with your surround sound. I think most dialogue comes from the center channel. I just have everything set to 2.0 stereo and never have trouble hearing dialogue.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Streaming sites like Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc are what I watch things on. Sometimes the buffering's a little weird.

Unless it's also a setting with headphones that I'm not aware of.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

Which movies have this sound imbalance? Maybe you guys have something messed up with your surround sound. I think most dialogue comes from the center channel. I just have everything set to 2.0 stereo and never have trouble hearing dialogue.

The most egregious example that made me post that was "The Last King of Scotland" on netflix. I had to have the volume at 50 to hear all the talking but the action bits i had to immediately drop all the way down to 20-25 for it to be tolerably loud.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Regina Spektor is a gift the human race doesn't deserve but yeah that intro is obnoxious.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Witch also has ridiculously low dialogue, which on top of the period-appropriate dialect basically requires subtitles.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

The setting you guys are looking for is usually called something like "range compression" in most media players. It'll boost the really quiet parts so that the overall volume remains more or less constant. If Netflix doesn't offer this basic setting because :lol: Netflix :lol:, on some sound hardware you can apply the effect system wide in the sound settings.

A bigger problem where you can't fix it is in movie theaters. The sound does not to be so loud that my ears still hurt even with earplugs in at a showing of loving Finding Dory. Thanks for making every child in the theater deaf, assholes.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

When the dude in front of you doesn't know how to touch the motion sensor thing on the rear bus door so you gotta give him a reach around

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

When the dude in front of you doesn't know how to touch the motion sensor thing on the rear bus door so you gotta give him a reach around

Also when the motion sensor on the rear bus door doesn't work so you have to shout BACK DOOR BACK DOOR BACK DOOR like an idiot

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
If I'm on a night shift, when I come home in the morning the public transit bus picks up a bunch of kids to take to school for some reason instead of a normal school bus, and my house is closest to the stop they all get on. The bus driver also refuses to open the back door because kids will get on through it I guess (they don't pay a fare so I don't really get it), meaning every morning I have a split second before the doors open to get out before a swarm of screaming kids immediately ram full force into my legs because they're incapable of having spacial awareness. Like straight up they're pushing against the door before it opens like it's a zombie movie. Why are you little nerds so excited to go to school anyway please just let me leave the bus first then you guys can go ham

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I'm not sure if it's a recent addition or if I never noticed before, but there's now a "skip intro" button on Netflix (at least on the Android version, which of course doesn't mean it's there on the twenty other Netflix clients out there, but that's a whole other peeve).

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

docbeard posted:

I'm not sure if it's a recent addition or if I never noticed before, but there's now a "skip intro" button on Netflix (at least on the Android version, which of course doesn't mean it's there on the twenty other Netflix clients out there, but that's a whole other peeve).

For a lot of shows this works fine, but some shows don't do the intro until a few minutes into the episode. When it does work it's great though since you never have to see the "previously, on the episode of this show that you just got done watching 5 seconds ago..." stuff.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Another OITNB peeve is that the new season cold opened right after the previous one ended. I have seen season 4 once, a year ago, when I bingewatched it, so I spend the whole first episode playing catchup with the huge cast of characters trying to remember what they were up to last season. A recap would be nice.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

People who prepare statements and share them with every single person they come across.

There's a woman who works with me who, every time I see her, has some story or observation or anecdote loaded up. It sounds incredibly rehearsed, but I'll nod, laugh at the appropriate parts, give the listening signals and poo poo. You know, human being stuff.

Anyhow, then I get to hear her say exactly the same things in exactly the same cadence to anyone who talks to her/makes eye contact with her. For the rest of the day, or at least until something new happens to her and she shifts it up. But no matter the responses to her word-for-word introduction, she will always find a way to respond with the same set of responses/rejoinders/jokes.

There's also another dude who does this, but the topic never changes. Same opener, same jokes, same awkward sign-off when the responses he gets become scathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
No Youtube, I don't ever want to watch a live stream of Family Guy episodes. No, not that one either. I ALREADY TOLD YOU I'M NOT INTERESTED, HOW MANY OF THESE ARE THERE