Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

surebet posted:

double dippin' on the k page

is that the door from tron?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgADDXyWJEE

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Dillbag posted:

is that the door from tron?

Thats a big door

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

nice weed number

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jerry Cotton posted:

where all the rare pepes are kept

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
saturday night motherfuckers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAj8TZhOOZU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

whoa i stumbled across the swords latest album and was really taken aback, confused and amazed

thought it was some other band named the sword, but no its them. they changed direction a bit. last for a couple songs and then starts blending with the sword i already knew. it reminds me of white denim or ratatat. its like the took whatever good stuff you good from current indie rock and evolved it into thier sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMCoiehkH8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwx3MjTELdo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBFdL4phvp8

nice find on a weekend

KoRMaK fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 11, 2017

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I was digging through some of the McElroys' older stuff and this has gotta be my favorite thing from them so far hands down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSTdrTalcaU

Takes a bit to get going, but once it does, oh man

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I was digging through some of the McElroys' older stuff and this has gotta be my favorite thing from them so far hands down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSTdrTalcaU

Takes a bit to get going, but once it does, oh man

i remember this was linked in this thread years ago and i only just watched the beginning like meh

now i'm flashing back to my friend getting these kewl new japanese imports katamari damacy and mr. mosquito and just sitting there like eyes glazed over as he played them incessantly

and i swear they did something to the progress bar on this youtube video because every time i check to see if it's over it's actually farther from the end

this is awful

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

just yesterday i was trying to convince my girlfriend to watch the old adam west batman movie with me because its the best batman movie. now it's pretty much mandatory

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

dumb, leaving any message is dumb.
just seal it and bury it unmarked

perhaps add toxic but not lethal debris around it that isn't known to leach, but i dunno if that's feasible- but any sort of message will lead to people digging it up

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1
i learnt a little bit more about electricity than the almost nothing i already knew, thanks pictures thread

like here's teh australian (and NZ?) outlet and plug:

and i guess it's too late to turn around our outlets to put ground at the top because we're all too used to having the switches where they are, and in that orientation. i noticed when i was in america that you do'nt generally have switches on the outlets. but it also explains to me why 95% of the (australian) plugs i've seen in my life have shielding on all but the tip of the main prongs. i presumed it was for safety somehow but never considered that coin scenario.

also! i had to buy a plug this week and learnt that we have different 15A plugs. our regular wiring and plugs presume 10A and if you're wiring an outlet and device for 15A and want to do it by the book you have to use these bad boys with thicker ground plugs, to avoid confusion:

also! for years i've just thought we were 240v but apparently we've been nominally 230v for decades and even then it varies from state to state with different upper and lower limits

also! unrelated:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SRQ posted:

dumb, leaving any message is dumb.
just seal it and bury it unmarked

perhaps add toxic but not lethal debris around it that isn't known to leach, but i dunno if that's feasible- but any sort of message will lead to people digging it up

yeah that was the eventual decision of the research team that thought it up: if we put up markers someone's going to think "hmm they just don't want me to get this sickkk treasure" and go gently caress with it.

so bury it under a mountain or something half a mile down in an already radioactive wasteland from nuclear bomb tests in the desert and people will probably never be able to find it until they've developed the sort of technology level where they know about radiation again

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

syscall girl posted:

i remember this was linked in this thread years ago and i only just watched the beginning like meh

now i'm flashing back to my friend getting these kewl new japanese imports katamari damacy and mr. mosquito and just sitting there like eyes glazed over as he played them incessantly

and i swear they did something to the progress bar on this youtube video because every time i check to see if it's over it's actually farther from the end

this is awful

Yeah exactly, Justin's pain is loving sublime and it's a drat rollercoaster of emotion

My favorite part is when he comes back from the bathroom and tries to level with Griffin about ways he can be a better brother going forward and would he please just let him the gently caress go now

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

while i think all the conceptual discussion about messaging and semiotics for the waste repository is v. cool, an equally good strategy might be to add some sort of extremely dangerous and long-lived poison to the burial site that would cause people who dig it up to rapidly sicken and die, unfortunately killing a few people but sending an indisputable message about the dangers of the site. i wonder if such a thing is possible.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

gabensraum posted:

i learnt a little bit more about electricity than the almost nothing i already knew, thanks pictures thread

like here's teh australian (and NZ?) outlet and plug:

and i guess it's too late to turn around our outlets to put ground at the top because we're all too used to having the switches where they are, and in that orientation. i noticed when i was in america that you do'nt generally have switches on the outlets. but it also explains to me why 95% of the (australian) plugs i've seen in my life have shielding on all but the tip of the main prongs. i presumed it was for safety somehow but never considered that coin scenario.

also! i had to buy a plug this week and learnt that we have different 15A plugs. our regular wiring and plugs presume 10A and if you're wiring an outlet and device for 15A and want to do it by the book you have to use these bad boys with thicker ground plugs, to avoid confusion:

also! for years i've just thought we were 240v but apparently we've been nominally 230v for decades and even then it varies from state to state with different upper and lower limits

another fun fact: the Australia/NZ plug design is actually a rejected design from the US (from 1915 or so) originally intended to carry 120 volt AC, which was manufactured in small amounts in the early 20th century as both 2 prong ungrounded and 3 pin grounded configurations.

the australians picked it up in the 1930s as a replacement for the old-style british plugs with 3 large round pins, on the basis that the rejected american design was cheaper to manufacture with equipment in australia because of the flat pins.

Sagebrush posted:

while i think all the conceptual discussion about messaging and semiotics for the waste repository is v. cool, an equally good strategy might be to add some sort of extremely dangerous and long-lived poison to the burial site that would cause people who dig it up to rapidly sicken and die, unfortunately killing a few people but sending an indisputable message about the dangers of the site. i wonder if such a thing is possible.

probably isn't anything you could make like that that would stay viable long enough term for the planned purpose of "in 5000 years after we die in a nuclear war with the soviets, someone might come by"

better to just make things look very normal up top and bury the bad poo poo way far down so that it's as hard as possible to find it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

fishmech posted:

another fun fact: the Australia/NZ plug design is actually a rejected design from the US (from 1915 or so) originally intended to carry 120 volt AC, which was manufactured in small amounts in the early 20th century as both 2 prong ungrounded and 3 pin grounded configurations.

that is a fun fact. i wonder if it was just rejected as in they preferred the straight design or rejected as in it had a fundamental design flaw that has been killing us for decades.

i always have more confidence when i plug in an ausplug that it's not going to come out, though. although that's probably more to do with implementation than design. some other countries' plugs and outlets i've used seem loose and flimsy in comparison, but maybe that's because i'm using old, worn-out outlets in hotel rooms.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

gabensraum posted:

if americans had to wire our own plugs, we'd be hosed and just live in the dark

or a fire hazard

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the worst part about the US plug is that when it's polarized it's not immediately clear which side is which
the worst part about the EU plug is that it's not the same throughout europe
the worst part about the UK plug is that loving brittiots won't stop talking about how good it is at every opportunity, it's the vaping of plugs

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it takes genuinely british electrical engineering to start with "design a national electrical plug standard" and instead invent a caltrop that burns down your house

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

it takes genuinely british electrical engineering to start with "design a national electrical plug standard" and instead invent a caltrop that burns down your house

not sure if caltrop but keeping the horses out was historically important as part of class struggle

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
you don't invent nunchucks purely to hit yourself in the face it just sorta creeps up on you

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Sagebrush posted:

The problem is, most chemical weapons have degradation half-lives of hours or days*, although admittedly this might be improved by dispersal over a nice dry desert, so we'd need to turn to nuclear/biological weapons. Nuclear isn't much better, since that's what we're trying to protect people from, and dispersing anthrax spores is probably a non-starter. Really, just not telling anybody that there's something interesting there is probably the best option.

* Mustard gas disposal in anoxic waters notwithstanding.

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

or a fire hazard

this is still a def possibility. took these photos to assist the firemen when they scrape out my blackened corpse.

had to switch to some flat plugs to fit my washing machine and dryer. why the gently caress the outlet was put right there i have no idea

i followed these instructions but there was probably something on the other side about "get an electrician to do it, you fucken dickhead"

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Sagebrush posted:

That's fairly simple; if we just use enough nuclear power, thereby generating enough waste, we can make the burial site radioactive enough to kill inside a few hours and discourage exploration.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This is a solved problem BTW. Current (sane) plans make the nuclear waste basically impossible to dig up anyway and then you plant a forest on top of it just to be sure (and make it look nice).

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it's super cool that we are using and considering an increase in the use of a method of generating power that forces us to consider how best to not irradiate and poison future post-collapse civilizations

here's a nutty thought: stop making the waste and you won't have to worry about how best to keep the black rock clan from getting thyroid cancer en masse

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Stymie posted:

it's super cool that we are using and considering an increase in the use of a method of generating power that forces us to consider how best to not irradiate and poison future post-collapse civilizations

here's a nutty thought: stop making the waste and you won't have to worry about how best to keep the black rock clan from getting thyroid cancer en masse

Seriouspost: You can help by literally stopping posting.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress the blackrocks

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

darthbob88 posted:

The problem is, most chemical weapons have degradation half-lives of hours or days*, although admittedly this might be improved by dispersal over a nice dry desert, so we'd need to turn to nuclear/biological weapons. Nuclear isn't much better, since that's what we're trying to protect people from, and dispersing anthrax spores is probably a non-starter. Really, just not telling anybody that there's something interesting there is probably the best option.

* Mustard gas disposal in anoxic waters notwithstanding.

after the fall of atlantis in ~15k bce the techno-wizards tried this in afghanistan

it turned out not to work as well as you would think

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Jerry Cotton posted:

Seriouspost: You can help by literally stopping posting.

its true. please think about the environment before posting stymie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
aren't there feeder reactor designs that recycle the most vile isotopes and leave us with pretty benign stuff that nobody builds because reasons?

• Locked thread