Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In a quick run, I'd imagine you'd just have two !White bots and rely on buffs and Axe/!Jump access until Holy is available. That's probably one run !Catch wouldn't factor in so heavily for me. I'd probably be more excited for Equip Whips for the Zerker than !Catch.

!Catch is great but you never really need to Catch things, besides maybe a Crystelle to survive Almagest at reasonable levels. It speeds things up a good bit, but even if you waited to grind Movers to get multiple !Catches it'd probably take longer to get the necessary monsters than to fight NED and kill it with most parties, this one included.

For me, Beastmasters are great because Whips are great and they can !Calmlock Omega. !Catch is just a nice bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Here's another.

Faris is jumping, sorry.

Also, Catch made Meatfort Exdeath way less of a pain. So yeah, Catch is pretty great.

Supremezero fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jun 10, 2017

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Supremezero posted:

Here's another.

Faris is jumping, sorry.

Also, Catch made Meatfort Exdeath way less of a pain. So yeah, Catch is pretty great.

Congrats! :)

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
*looks at the previous guy*

... we both had Faris as Dragoons during Neo.

And both of them were jumping as he died.

What is this madness?

derra
Dec 29, 2012
4 digits of HP /envy.

Poor Lenna in my game could Shell up others to survive Almagest, but didn't have enough HP herself.

Well, my thought was "just in case I screwed something up, I'd like someone in the air when the Meteos fall".

Agreed that !Catch isn't necessary for this group and !White is generally faster, I think I only heavily leaned on it for Byblos, Sandworm, W2 Exdeath and NED. In a speed run its not the best choice, but I don't approach the game from that perspective. And I didn't grind too much to get 2 catchers at W2 Exdeath (200 ap of gold needles) and no additional grinding for 3 at NED, Faris mastered the class just as we approached.

My point though is that you could have a party of, say, Thief x3 and Beastmaster and you could do just fine, which means I consider it a strong skillset (tiresome Omega kill though). There's probably less than 5 fights in the entire game that 4 Releases doesn't trivialize.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
The real flaw with this group regarding catch is probably that the Berserker makes it unnecessarily difficult to use, even once you've gotten the Kornago Gourd, plus the fact that it's a Berserker so you're always limited to 3 releases.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Is the only difference between Chaos and Pure Chaos the ability to pull Freelancers and Mimes?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Prism posted:

Is the only difference between Chaos and Pure Chaos the ability to pull Freelancers and Mimes?

No duplicate jobs in Pure Chaos, either.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Poque posted:

No duplicate jobs in Pure Chaos, either.

No dupes in Pure Chaos just made it an auto-pick for my fiesta.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Keep in mind that it doesn't prevent Berserker Dupes if you have Risk.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

If you shuffle jobs around while you've got a monster caught, do you lose it or does the game remember what it was if you switch back later?

v- thanks!

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 10, 2017

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If you shuffle jobs around while you've got a monster caught, do you lose it or does the game remember what it was if you switch back later?

It remembers.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Maleketh posted:

I checked the patch's readme, and it turns out it absolutely has this issue on VBA, and no, it won't be fixed. What a laughably lovely patch.

Fortunately, I am way ahead of ya.

Music restore soonish I think.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Prism posted:

No dupes in Pure Chaos just made it an auto-pick for my fiesta.
Correct. Welcome to the correct team, friend.

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Chaos forever.

Krile also inherits Galuf's capture. You can check it in the status menu, on GBA at least.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Patch doesn't run in GBAEmu. What a joke!

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I've been having fun taking FFT portraits (from here) and smashing them into FF5A. Noses appeared in the process. Pretty happy with the results (especially best dad Xezat) though of course I didn't do much. I might put up a patch for download if I get it working (and after a post on that forum).

Sax Solo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 11, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sax Solo posted:

I've been having fun taking FFT portraits (from here) and smashing them into FF5A. Noses appeared in the process.
Pretty happy with the results (especially best dad Xezat) though of course I didn't do much. I might put up a patch for download if I get it working (and after a post on that forum).

If you can get that working, I probably just play the GBA version this year over my planned SNES version on the actual SNES.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sax Solo posted:

I've been having fun taking FFT portraits (from here) and smashing them into FF5A. Noses appeared in the process.
Pretty happy with the results (especially best dad Xezat) though of course I didn't do much. I might put up a patch for download if I get it working (and after a post on that forum).

Holy poo poo, these turned out incredible.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Sax Solo posted:

These are awesome.

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Why would you add noses, you monster.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Good lord that Soul Cannon fight sucked rear end. Thought I would be clever and release a Zuu to cut a huge chunk of his health, but it didn't do anything. Whoops.

Also, why was my beastmaster with the Guardian dagger doing like twice as much damage as my zerkers? Even if the defense ignoring thing didn't work on this boss for some reason, the zerkers had a much higher attack rating.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Sax Solo posted:

I've been having fun taking FFT portraits (from here) and smashing them into FF5A. Noses appeared in the process. Pretty happy with the results (especially best dad Xezat) though of course I didn't do much. I might put up a patch for download if I get it working (and after a post on that forum).

Beautiful loving work!

Good lord that Soul Cannon fight sucked rear end. Thought I would be clever and release a Zuu to cut a huge chunk of his health, but it didn't do anything. Whoops.

Soul Cannon is immune to Wind. A Geomancer's worst nightmare.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Also, why was my beastmaster with the Guardian dagger doing like twice as much damage as my zerkers? Even if the defense ignoring thing didn't work on this boss for some reason, the zerkers had a much higher attack rating.

There are only two releases in W1, your instant death/banish of choice, and BEARAGA

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sax Solo posted:

These are lovely, although I would recommend giving Gilgamesh solid white eyes. He just looks wrong otherwise.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bregor posted:

There are only two releases in W1, your instant death/banish of choice, and BEARAGA

The one good thing about a Berserker/Beastmaster team is that it can capture a Prototype without too much trouble.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Damage in this game is based on the difference between your attack and the enemies defense (how hard you hit per swing), multiplied by a value dependent on your strength and level (how many times you swing per command). Knives such as the Guardian Dagger can also have additional swings based upon your agility. I say can because there's a bug in there which means you only benefit sometimes.

In addition, axes (& hammers) randomly hit between 50% and 100% for their attack value, so there's a large variant in their damage. Soul Cannon has a low defense (5), so the defense reduction ability of axes / hammers doesn't contribute much. A combination of these factors could lead to your dagger user being more effective in the fight.

Did you get a Death Sickle? Please please please make sure to get a Death Sickle if you haven't farmed one yet.

derra fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 11, 2017

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

derra posted:

Damage in this game is based on the difference between your attack and the enemies defense (how hard you hit per swing), multiplied by a value dependent on your strength and level (how many times you swing per command). Knives such as the Guardian Dagger can also have additional swings based upon your agility. I say can because there's a bug in there which means you only benefit sometimes.

In addition, axes (& hammers) randomly hit between 50% and 100% for their attack value, so there's a large variant in their damage. Soul Cannon has a low defense (5), so the defense reduction ability of axes / hammers doesn't contribute much. A combination of these factors could lead to your dagger user being more effective in the fight.

Did you get a Death Sickle? Please please please make sure to get a Death Sickle if you haven't farmed one yet.

Very informative, thank you!

And yes I did get a Death Sickle, I was reading a bit of the last thread and that was one of the pieces of advice I saw the most, so I figured I should probably listen to people way better at this than I am. Took forever for one to drop but it has absolutely been worth it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

And yes I did get a Death Sickle, I was reading a bit of the last thread and that was one of the pieces of advice I saw the most, so I figured I should probably listen to people way better at this than I am. Took forever for one to drop but it has absolutely been worth it.
Yeah, Death Sickles absolutely rule. There's at least three boss fights without instant death immunity later (if you want spoilers, it's Gilgamesh on the boat, as well as Enkidu if he gets summoned, the four Crystals after the Forest of Moore, and Twintania during his Giga Flare charging phase off the top of my head) so hang onto that drat thing basically forever because you may want to swap it in at some random times.

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yeah, Death Sickles absolutely rule. There's at least three boss fights without instant death immunity later (if you want spoilers, it's Gilgamesh on the boat, as well as Enkidu if he gets summoned, the four Crystals after the Forest of Moore, and Twintania during his Giga Flare charging phase off the top of my head) so hang onto that drat thing basically forever because you may want to swap it in at some random times.

dragon plant also falls into this category

later in the game assassin dagger is basically death sickle++ so also you can use that instead

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Also the deadly jailgamesh! Adamantoise (and it NOT overkill, there is no boss in the game I hate more, try fighting him with bards only gently caress ADAMANTOISE)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
since we're in the fiesta season now, fee-yay-stah and all, I think it's about time for a second post about the sealed temple

"The real estate value keeps going up! Wisest investment I ever made."

WOWIE! WHAT'S THE SEALED TEMPLE?!

Well my friend, the Sealed Temple is the bonus dungeon they added into the GBA version of Final Fantasy 5. Also, if you are a damned fool who plays the iOS version, you can also play it there. It's got it all! Puzzles! Palette swaps! Punks! Enuo is also there.

GOLLY GEE WHILLIKERS! SOUNDS LIKE FUN! SHOULD I DO THE SEALED TEMPLE?

No.

WELL WHY NOT?

Take your pick:
-A doubled encounter rate from the rest of the game!
-Gil Turtle as a normal, non-optional battle!
-A room full of Omegas as regular enemies!
-You probably won't even be able to equip half the poo poo you get from it!
-Neo Shinryu!

GOLLY GEE WHILLIKERS! SOUNDS LIKE FUN! CAN I DO THE SEALED TEMPLE?

For a certain definition of "can," yes. You're going to require a very specific team composition to do it.

OH NO! WHAT AM I GONNA NEED?!

You'll need two specific jobs and a specific condition met by one of your other jobs.

1. You're gonna need Thief.

Let's not be too hasty~
STILL I THINK HE'S RATHER TASTY

In order to achieve Real Ultimate Power you'll need Thief's Dash ability to get past a... you know, a thing. There's a thing you gotta zip zap zoom for. Grats on your stealing ability, incidentally.

2. You're gonna need Beastmaster.

A certain guy hanging around in the Sealed Temple requires you to have captured a Behemoth.

<---- A Behemoth.

Fun fact: In order to catch an enemy, you must be a Beastmaster! Therefore, you need Beastmaster to get through the Sealed Temple.

3. You'll need either a source of non-elemental damage or White Mage.

"What kind of requirement is that?" you might be asking, well buddy

I'M TEX RICHMAN MR. TEXAS T PEOPLE CALL ME RICH CAUSE I GOT MO MONEY

This is Archeodemon, and he has a hy-larious gimmick. Namely, he's undead, and he absorbs all elements, and he counters physical attacks by casting Death on himself, which heals him to full. Reflect can bounce the Death counters (...onto you,) or actually damaging him requires non-elemental magic. By the way, he has 62,000 MP and Mega Flare, so you will not outlast him.

The classes which fit this category are Black Mage, Summoner, Time Mage, Chemist, Bard, and Blue Mage if you're interested in playing level shenanigans with a level 17 enemy.

SO IF I HAVE ALL OF THESE THINGS, CAN I TAKE A BERSERKER IN TOO?! BERSERKERS MAKE MY SOUL HAPPY!

Go ahead, friend. Go right ahead. You do you.

OKAY! I'M GONNA GO BEAT NEO SHINRYU!

No you aren't.

RUN COWARD RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN RUN

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Is The Run a triple crown or just a basic kill?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Bruceski posted:

Omega is technically possible but not loving happening.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bruceski posted:

As far as I'm aware they're not required to do Omega and Shinryu this year. I think it was done last year just because they were basically given The Hand of God Team and it was kind of a gimme.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
If you're playing the iOS version of the game (you maniac), you don't need Thief for the Sealed Temple. The part you originally needed them for got adjusted to be a lot more lenient, to the point where you pretty much don't need Sprint to get past it.

You should still not bother with the Sealed Temple.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The Sealed Temple is pretty much the antithesis of the Four Job Fiesta concept. The whole area is designed around the idea that you'll have mastered multiple jobs and figured out how to combine their abilities to create a truly overpowered team. Mad props to the person who pulled it off a few years ago.

Also, that's a quality post, alcharagia.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sealed Temple might be a load of bullshit but it's still way better than the extra content from Chrono Trigger DS.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Lurdiak posted:

Sealed Temple might be a load of bullshit but it's still way better than the extra content from Chrono Trigger DS.

I did legit like the Final Fantasy VI Advance bonus dungeon. Then again it set up like Phoenix Cave/Kefka Tower and the enemies ain't that much harder then what there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

The post-game dungeon was alright. The other one, though...

• Locked thread