Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Flamers really should have a rule like "an additional D3 hits if unit has 10+ models" or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
I just noticed that the elite choice Fallen chaos marines have the imperium keyword and they seem like a pretty nasty option.

For only 1 point more than a regular marine they get to reroll shooty 1s if they didn't move and can only ever lose 1 model at a time to moral checks. I'd say that is better than Know No Fear and Death to the Emp.

Also they have 2 attacks basic, 3 with chainswords. They can have 4 special/power weapons/claws and an extra heavy/special on top of that.

They could have 5 Plasmas and a combi-plas rerolling 1s if you didn't move if you really wanted.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Yeast posted:

not exactly

Wow thats some true artistic poo poo there. Even more impressive!

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Geoff Zahn posted:

Flamers really should have a rule like "an additional D3 hits if unit has 10+ models" or something

Blast weapons badly need this in general. Their potential number of hits is WAY down in 8th.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

NORTH-HALL posted:

I just noticed that the elite choice Fallen chaos marines have the imperium keyword and they seem like a pretty nasty option.

For only 1 point more than a regular marine they get to reroll shooty 1s if they didn't move and can only ever lose 1 model at a time to moral checks. I'd say that is better than Know No Fear and Death to the Emp.

Also they have 2 attacks basic, 3 with chainswords. They can have 4 special/power weapons/claws and an extra heavy/special on top of that.

They could have 5 Plasmas and a combi-plas rerolling 1s if you didn't move if you really wanted.

This is legit. They have the sternguard statline but sternguard are 16 points per model. Could load them up with combi plasmas and a plasma cannon and position them with a razorback or something.

my kinda ape posted:

Blast weapons badly need this in general. Their potential number of hits is WAY down in 8th.

Flamers and blast weapons just are not scratching the paint on these horde lists unless you're bringing ludicrous numbers of them specifically to counter a horde list. If you don't build specifically to counter one you're going to be struggling. A boltgun shot has less than a 1 in 3 chance of killing a guardsman outside of cover. They can bring 150 conscripts and a commissar for less than 500 points. That leaves 1500 points for models that are more point efficient at shooting than marines are. For the cost of 2 bolter marines they can get 3 mortars and drown you in s4 rolls.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 11, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Most blast and template weapons are pretty bad now, true. Fortunately GW has given other options. A Land Raider Crusader can wipe out very nearly 20 guardsmen a turn at close range (with some basic rerolls and without the guardsmen in cover). Terminators with assault cannon can account for another 10 or so per round of shooting. A Stormraven with Assault Cannon, Typhoon launchers and hurricane bolters is absolutely terrifying.

You do of course have to be prepared for that horde though. Weapons are specialized enough now that I'm guessing true "takes all comers" lists are going to be really hard to write

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
102 point razorbacks are probably the most efficient way for marines to deal with it. 12 S6 Ap-1 shots and 4 S4 shots. You can nearly get 3 of those for 1 land raider crusader.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Geoff Zahn posted:

Hell yeah!

I'm basing my painting scheme off of the pre-heresy colors, but infected / curdled. Also got a mix of standard marines in there with the plague marines I'm scratch building - going with the idea from the fluff about how normies can be turned when killed by nurgle's rot.

totally not because I have a ton of left over bits from when I wanted to build a Space Wolves army like 12 years ago

This is some hardcore :krad: greenstuffin!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Yeast posted:

Feel free to use any of these for the Guard/Astra Militarum

Welp. Guess SRM will be happy now. :cheeky:

This reminds me that I probably need to touch up my guys at some point.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
It's almost like you can't build cookie cutter lists in 8th...

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I would probably like Blast weapons a lot more if they had the profile "Heavy X" where you get X attacks, and for each success you get d3 or d6 actual hits, instead of rolling for each possible hit.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TKIY posted:

It's almost like you can't build cookie cutter lists in 8th...

Yet.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Yeah a meta will appear eventually but right now it's pretty clear that nothing stands out as too good, even though a few things are lacklustre.

The big question is when does GW see what needs work and how quickly do they move to make corrections.

New GW seems to be largely on the ball in general right now.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

On the ball on the social media side of things. They haven't actually had to do anything anywhere else yet.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Strobe posted:

I would probably like Blast weapons a lot more if they had the profile "Heavy X" where you get X attacks, and for each success you get d3 or d6 actual hits, instead of rolling for each possible hit.

I think they need to reduce the variance on the d6 weapons: I'd like to see them convert <heavy d6> to <heavy 2d3>, or something similar. There's already a very silly version of this on some weapons e.g the gray knight melee hammer that goes from <3 damage> to <d6 damage with 1 and 2s counting as 3's> when it's master crafted.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
The Dune Crawler's Neutral Laser also gets that rule. Did a number on my Baal Predator the first game I played, and it was a nasty shock to see him roll a 1 and feel really good about it and then hear it was still 3 wounds. :(

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
Sweet, well thanks for the Russ Analysis. I am going to buy a Start Collecting box and I think I may go with my initial instict to build it as a Leman Russ Punisher, and go with flamers for sponsons as I do love how that thing works.

Im thinking autocannons and lascannons for anti-tank work for guard is the way to go (On heavy weapons teams)

And deep striking Stormtroopers with meltaguns.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Agentdark posted:

Sweet, well thanks for the Russ Analysis. I am going to buy a Start Collecting box and I think I may go with my initial instict to build it as a Leman Russ Punisher, and go with flamers for sponsons as I do love how that thing works.

Im thinking autocannons and lascannons for anti-tank work for guard is the way to go (On heavy weapons teams)

And deep striking Stormtroopers with meltaguns.

I'm fairly certain that Leman Russ in the start collecting box doesn't have the sprue for the punisher upgrade FYI.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
Wait, is there a new edition already?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Ok, here are some old army shots of my demons. Did you need demons? I did not see them on your list.

I did forget. These are great! Thanks!

Still looking for:
- Space Marines (I'm looking at you, Urobouros)
- Space Wolves
- Sisters of Battle
- Tau
- AdMech
- Grey Knights
- Deathwatch (I may just do these guys tomorrow if I get no takers)
- Genestealer Cults
- Subfactions (Got a few good submissions so far already, though)
- Imperial Knights
- Custodes, I guess

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jun 11, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Wait, is there a new edition already?

Unless this is joke were have you been.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

MonsterEnvy posted:

Unless this is joke were have you been.

The joke is it's not the game he wanted yeah.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Welp, looks like I decided on my Primaris chapter. Thanks to the newest Badcast, I decided to check Shapeways for shoulder insignia and found a dude selling 60 Howling Griffon ones for 20 bucks.

At least they'll match my AoS army, the Howling Dracoths Stormhost.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

The joke is it's not the game he wanted yeah.

I'm not sure why anyone would prefer 7th at this point.

Not that 8th is perfect, but it's a lot faster, simpler and more fun.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

If you're cool with custom schemes I'll get my lights set up and shoot some of my tau tomorrow. I don't have any scenery painted, but should be able to get something cool.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

TKIY posted:

TEMPLATES

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

TKIY posted:

7th is garbage but lol if 8th is THE GAME YOU WANTED.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

It what I wanted :)

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I think the battle cannon is actually good now. Probably better even.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

It's basically what I wanted, yeah. I'm not saying there aren't flaws but I am happy with what I see.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Battle cannon can now gently caress up TEQs and vehicles.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Zuul the Cat posted:

Welp, looks like I decided on my Primaris chapter. Thanks to the newest Badcast, I decided to check Shapeways for shoulder insignia and found a dude selling 60 Howling Griffon ones for 20 bucks.

Got a link? I'm doing a commission of two boxes, and the client mentioned this chapter as a possible scheme.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
"There are flaws" and "it's not perfect" are the words of someone who clearly GOT WHAT THEY ASKED FOR.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Booley posted:

If you're cool with custom schemes I'll get my lights set up and shoot some of my tau tomorrow. I don't have any scenery painted, but should be able to get something cool.

Hell yeah I'm cool with custom schemes. Post that poo poo!

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

The Kingfish posted:

Battle cannon can now gently caress up TEQs and vehicles.

I mean. Sure, they *can*, but they won't. You'll kill one TEQ per shot if you roll above average, and against a vehicle it's not any better than a lascannon really. A cannon certainly has the capability to wipe out a terminator squad if you have fire dice and they have the most garbage save rolls, but on average you're not doing much. If you hit 3 terminators with a battle cannon in 7th, you don't do much worse than you do shooting a BS4+ battle cannon at terminators in 8th. It's harder to judge their true effectiveness in 7th vs 8th because there's the ability for it to scatter and hit another target.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 11, 2017

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

Grimey Drawer

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

"There are flaws" and "it's not perfect" are the words of someone who clearly GOT WHAT THEY ASKED FOR.

And I'm sure the games that you play are completely perfect with zero flaws.

My only real complaints are some weird points costs and that I feel like templates are under-powered now. Really minor stuff, you know?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Pendent posted:

And I'm sure the games that you play are completely perfect with zero flaws.

My only real complaints are some weird points costs and that I feel like templates are under-powered now. Really minor stuff, you know?

Look. It's not that hard.

IS THIS THE GAME YOU ASKED FOR?

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

It's ok to say no, it really is. It doesn't make it a bad game, or your fun invalidated. You broke-brained hams don't need to valiantly Carl every perceived slight against GW.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

It's ok to say no, it really is. It doesn't make it a bad game, or your fun invalidated. You broke-brained hams don't need to valiantly Carl every perceived slight against GW.

it's ok that people like things you do not like :)

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

Yeast posted:

it's ok that people like things you do not like :)

EXACTLY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Texmo
Jun 12, 2002

'Time fer a waaagh from above!

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

man you're really invested in trying to convince people they don't actually like 8th edition huh?

did you know, people can have different opinions? somebody can like things that you don't like and it's okay?

• Locked thread