Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Porstuve posted:

The attack bonus from the radiant set comes at the low low cost of looking like a luchador gimp

That's actually another bonus of the set not a cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I wish the various jewelry actually counted as parts of the matching sets for set bonus purposes. Some of the sets have a really cool aesthetic except for a dopey helmet

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
So I've gone through the four "dungeons" with a row of hearts and Two Sp wheels. Should I bother to go shrine hunting or can Input a fork in this and end it?

Man this game lost me when I got to the beasts. If this is the future of Zelda dungeons then I don't want any of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Should I bother to go shrine hunting or can Input a fork in this and end it?

What do you want to do? Some shrines have some good puzzles but they're not going to replicate dungeons, so if you don't find exploring Hyrule searching for shrines appealing there's no point in doing all of them since all you get is an outfit anyway.

Hyrule Castle is arguably the best dungeon in the game anyway, though it's still not quite the same as the standard Zelda dungeon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Mega64 posted:

What do you want to do?.

Largely be prepared for whatever bullshit is waiting for me on the opposite side of the castle doors.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Largely be prepared for whatever bullshit is waiting for me on the opposite side of the castle doors.

You should be fine to go end it if that's what you really want. You don't seem to enjoy the game.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
The entire premise of the game's development was to rethink the conventions of the Zelda series. Part of that involved de-emphasizing linear dungeons in favor of open-ended exploration for exploration's sake. It's really too bad if you can't enjoy the game because you're fixated on the dungeons and set pieces being subpar because they're very clearly and obviously not what this game is about.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Speaking of, why haven't they remade/updated the original Zelda? I know, BS Zelda, but that's kind of its own weird little thing.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

Speaking of, why haven't they remade/updated the original Zelda? I know, BS Zelda, but that's kind of its own weird little thing.

Someone told me a while ago that Oracle of Seasons started out development as a LoZ remake for Gameboy. There are bits of that origin remaining, notably the locations of Level 1 and 2, and several of the boss creatures.

But I would love DLC of the original map and dungeons in the BotW engine; I'd probably pay another $20 for just that. I haven't seen the making-of video for BotW yet but apparently they used original LoZ assets in the concept/early construction stage of development for that too.

Or do like Mario Kart and get some greatest-hits dungeons updated, like OOT Forest Temple.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Botw is pretty much Zelda 1 remade at least in spirit

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Calaveron posted:

Botw is pretty much Zelda 1 remade at least in spirit

It's dangerous to go alone, steal my roast apple

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like before the credits started and The Legend of Zelda appeared on screen I was like yup that's the reveal

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

canoshiz posted:

The entire premise of the game's development was to rethink the conventions of the Zelda series. Part of that involved de-emphasizing linear dungeons in favor of open-ended exploration for exploration's sake. It's really too bad if you can't enjoy the game because you're fixated on the dungeons and set pieces being subpar because they're very clearly and obviously not what this game is about.

The beasts really took it down, yeah. The shrines are great for the most part (motion control ball puzzles can bite me) but the beasts should have been more than extended shrines imho. The bit between getting in and the GannonBane is a slog.

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010
Just beat the game, all shrines and memories clocked in at 127 hours. Just in time for E3 to announce more stuff that will consume my life.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It's only been three months since this game came out. :psyduck:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ConanThe3rd posted:

Go in. If you can't handle what you find, come back out and go get what you need, then return.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

ConanThe3rd posted:

The beasts really took it down, yeah. The shrines are great for the most part (motion control ball puzzles can bite me) but the beasts should have been more than extended shrines imho. The bit between getting in and the GannonBane is a slog.

I thought the beasts were decent dungeons with good puzzles and the movement of the beast added a slight twist. Some parts were a bit challenging and they were a bit short overall but they were fine

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I was fine with the Divine Beasts myself, but I can also see why someone who prefers the more involved dungeons of past Zeldas would not like them as much and that is perfectly fine also.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mega64 posted:

I was fine with the Divine Beasts myself, but I can also see why someone who prefers the more involved dungeons of past Zeldas would not like them as much and that is perfectly fine also.

Nice meltdown.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I liked the Divine Beasts a lot and was disappointed that they weren't longer. But that's fine. They'll probably improve the dungeons in the series's future now that the whole open world thing is mostly figured out

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 11, 2017

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Imagine a game with BotW's open world, but with OoT's dungeons... in the same game!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If there had been more Divine Beasts, the fact that they all look the same might have started to bother me. Given the structure of the game, giving them visual continuity with each other and with the shrines is important. But even just the pitch-black segment of Vah Rudania added a lot of interest there.

The main thing is how the architecture can add to the narrative, and there's plenty of that going on in the overworld.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Is there a good writeup about BotW's dev process? This game is amazing and I want to know how exactly they did it - did they get new blood who had actually played recent open world games, or what?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It comes up a bit in this interview, which, coincidentally, I was just on my way to post.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Is there a good writeup about BotW's dev process? This game is amazing and I want to know how exactly they did it - did they get new blood who had actually played recent open world games, or what?

Nothing too in-depth, but Nintendo put out a few videos about it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3CsGbtifZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLMGrmf4xaY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30jGWna4-Ns

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
I might be in the minority but I always felt the dungeons were the least interesting parts of the Zelda series. I was more into exploring the overworld so you can imagine how I felt when BOTW went all in on that and reduced the dungeons to bite-sized experiences. I hope future puzzle-type dungeons don't get any bigger than what we got in the Divine Beasts and instead they focus on Hyrule-Castle-ish exploration-type ones.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
i would just like more interior environments. BotW's world is amazing but there are almost no interior spaces in the whole game. no caves, no dungeons, no large buildings, nothing

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's pretty much the Forgotten Temple, yeah.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Basically, yeah, lotta younger devs started throwing round ideas early on which laid the groundwork for the final game. Stuff like jumping manually and climbing anywhere, basic ideas that shaped the core of the game.

Be real interesting to see what the next Zelda looks like, as fleshed out and complete as this game is, I can still see room for expansion, and now that the team's cut their teeth on making an open world game the next one is hopefully going to be even better.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Earwicker posted:

I also recently came across something I hadn't seen before. Just a random bokoblin camp but there was a log there with a bunch of big cuts in it. As soon as they saw me, instead of running towards me like normal, every single one of the bokoblins in the camp went over and struck the log with their weapon, and then came at me. There was nothing otherwise different with them or their weapons, and once I cleared them and tried striking the log myself, my weapons just went straight through it

I know a lot of camps have their weapons stored against logs, and they grab them before attacking you. Maybe the game played the "Bokoblins grab their weapons" animation even though they already had them?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Man, rushing to Hyrule Castle right after leaving the plateau is a ton of fun. The boss rush at the end is pretty intense.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Every time. Every single time I play another Zelda game this happens at least once: I break my brain trying to solve a puzzle, when the solution is so easy, so stupid, so blindingly obvious. Sometimes it's not even a puzzle, but more on that in a minute.

You know the two pedestals on the shore, where you have to find and take pictures of the broken inscription. I did that, way back near the beginning of my game. Then I wondered, well now where are the orbs? I was like, I've already been up and down this beach looking for the broken pieces, but I never saw any orbs. Well, I guess I'll come back later.

I came back later, couldn't find them. Gave up, came back later again. No luck.

Well, now I'm closing in on 120 shrines, so I decided to go back again. I'm attacking my last few remaining shrine quests, so I read this one again... which I discover, when I don't just skim over it making assumptions, explicitly tells me exactly what to do. :doh:

As for not even having to be a puzzle, the worst one I have had was in the Fire Temple in Ocarina. It was a room with lava and several small places to stand. I had a key and there was a locked door, with one of these ledges/islands to stand on. I tried jumping over, no luck. I tried everything else I could think of. 24 hours later, and probably at least six hours of play time, I was stumped. Of course it wasn't like BotW; I couldn't really put the temple on the back burner and come back later.

After exhausting all my other options I tried jumping across again just for the heck of it. Of course, it worked (I had to grab on, that's all, I had just flubbed the jump the first time and fallen short).

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Hikaki posted:

I might be in the minority but I always felt the dungeons were the least interesting parts of the Zelda series. I was more into exploring the overworld so you can imagine how I felt when BOTW went all in on that and reduced the dungeons to bite-sized experiences.

I wouldn't agree that dungeons were the least interesting parts, but I would agree in that general consensus puts too much emphasis on the dungeons in Zelda games. I've been saying for years that dungeons shouldn't be the benchmark, and yet it's extremely common to see people consider the beginning of the game starts only from the first "real" dungeon. It highlights so much that's wrong about the series, and is one of the few things I'm glad that Botw managed to avoid.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Anyone have advice on dealing with those flying gaurdians? I'm just trying to get up to Akkala tower (only one I haven't unlocked) but I can't figure out how to beat them, I can't seem to lock on to them to reflect their blasts with a shield, and any kind of arrow I try barely dents them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Earwicker posted:

Anyone have advice on dealing with those flying gaurdians? I'm just trying to get up to Akkala tower (only one I haven't unlocked) but I can't figure out how to beat them, I can't seem to lock on to them to reflect their blasts with a shield, and any kind of arrow I try barely dents them.

shoot em in the eye with an ancient arrow or just run away, they lose lock-on pretty easily

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Augus posted:

shoot em in the eye with an ancient arrow or just run away, they lose lock-on pretty easily

I haven't gotten ancient arrows yet, I've just been focusing on towers and shrines so far (though I did one of the divine beasts, the elephant), but maybe I should go get them just to get through this tower. Running away isn't an option because of the number of guardians and amount of climbing involved

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Earwicker posted:

have you tried bomb arrows? that's usually how I take them down. You can blow up their propellers and make them fall and finish them off on the ground if you don't have ancient arrows or are stingy with them like I am. I also dropped some into the ocean the same way but it wasn't intentional and ended up being a pain having to dive in and collect all the bits they dropped. :mad:

In "things just discovered after playing for hours" I just realized I could chuck a bomb into a cluster of those baby talus guys and kill them all before they wake up and come out of the ground.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Everything Burrito posted:

have you tried bomb arrows? that's usually how I take them down. You can blow up their propellers and make them fall and finish them off on the ground if you don't have ancient arrows or are stingy with them like I am. I also dropped some into the ocean the same way but it wasn't intentional and ended up being a pain having to dive in and collect all the bits they dropped. :mad:

tbh I'm very stingy with every kind of arrow except the regular ones, but bomb arrows sounds good, didn't realize you could knock off the propellers

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

ConanThe3rd posted:

So I've gone through the four "dungeons" with a row of hearts and Two Sp wheels. Should I bother to go shrine hunting or can Input a fork in this and end it?

Man this game lost me when I got to the beasts. If this is the future of Zelda dungeons then I don't want any of it.

“input a fork in this”

This isn’t nearly as clever as you think it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

I can't stop playing Zelda.

I put 100+ hours into Breath of the Wild (got all 120 shrines).
Then beat A Link Between Worlds.
Then beat Ocarina of Time.
Started a new game of Breath of the Wild.
Started OoT Master Quest (just beat Dodongo's cavern).
Ordered a Wii U so I can play Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD.

I may have a problem.