Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Chat Thread
This poll is closed.
anime chat thread 13 8.02%
anime chat thread 2.22 - A SODOM BORN OF THE HUNDRED YEARS WAR 11 6.79%
SHIN ANIME CHAT THREAD 3: THE LAST DAY OF THE EARTH 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD 4: NEW AGE OF HEROES 1 0.62%
ANIME CHAT THREAD V: BEEF TENDENCY END 7 4.32%
ANIME CHAT THREAD VI: animemonogatari 16 9.88%
anime chat thread vii: 600 pages in like a week 3 1.85%
anime chat thread viii: a bowl of visible aids 7 4.32%
Anime Chat Thread IX: the desert of battle 1 0.62%
anime chat thread x: gifs of takane shijou eating 14 8.64%
anime chat thread xi: the beast that cried 'gas' at the heart of the world 16 9.88%
anime chat thread xii: the one where fire emblem comes out 8 4.94%
anime chat thread the 13th: no art dumps 5 3.09%
anime chat thread 14: this one probably won't get to 2000+ pages 3 1.85%
Chat Thead 15: Post your favorite robot and/or touhou itt 22 13.58%
Anime Chat Thread The Sixteenth: Frequently Anime Questions 3 1.85%
Anime Chat Thread Dimension XV-II: No More Eroes 2: Dawn of the New World 8 4.94%
Anime Chat Thread Part 18: (M)AIDS 17 10.49%
Total: 162 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Wark Say posted:

Darker than Black[/b] has a great first season. The 2nd season was a radical tonal shift and not everyone's cup of tea (and it's just not as great as Season 1, honestly)

That was my same problem with Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

The first season was awesome and gritty and crazy and amazing. Then the second season turns into a high school drama oh and everyone dies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Wark Say posted:

Darker than Black has a great first season. The 2nd season was a radical tonal shift and not everyone's cup of tea (and it's just not as great as Season 1, honestly). It also has like 3 interquel mangas and 5 OVA's, all of which are canon (except one which is a weird fanfiction of one of the tertiary characters or something). Stick with the first season of both this and Psycho Pass and you're golden.

why would you tell someone not to watch DtB Gaiden...

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/DVNJr/status/873757190321995777

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what's ten inches long and needs to be hidden in a cavern, batman

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Those are some wet sound effects for a death by falling :gonk:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

amazing

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mordiceius posted:

Disappointing. Why does it feel like so many animes have an awesome first season but fall apart in season 2?

No, I'll look into it.

S2 had a different writing team, who went for spectacle without getting the meaning of S1.

I'd recommend Mushi-shi, about a travelling shaman/biologist/medicine seller helping random Edo era villagers with supernatural problems. It has a similar vibe to Kino's Journey, but it's more introspective and more driven by character allegories.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

and they called it, the first comic con

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I finally got around to watching the Girls Und Panzer film and holy poo poo it's amazing.

Favourite bits in no particular order:
-The way that there are valid tank tactics throughout the film, but one scene in particular pays homage to I believe, IIRC a real tank battle. In the exhibition match Oourai firsts at the tanks in the front of a column and then the rear to prevent them from easily maneuvering. This happened in France during 1944, a German Panther crew is believed to have shot up a column of some 22 Allied tanks this way.
-The running gag of the Japanese school engaging in suicidal zerg rush tactics; it's an excellent bit of self depreciation and I'm glad they went for it.
-The Finns, I showed the scene to my Finnish friend and I told him I've started listening to Säkkijärven Polkka on loop and his reaction was "Oh dear."
-The Russians. "I could tell Nonna that snow is coloured black and she would believe me, isn't that right Nonna?" "Yup." without missing a beat.
-I went and confirmed it to be sure, but it tugged my heart strings how much praise they gave I'm pretty sure to Jenya Davidyuk, the born in Russia seiyuu for Klara. The whole exchange of "You actually speak fluent Japanese!?" "Yup, she speaks excellent Japanese." hung that lampshade so hard it was delightful.
-The Italian School continuing their record of relative competence.
-Miho's sister still being a bit of a hard rear end but a caring one.
-American showboating.
-The running gag of that one Crusader tank trying to rush in but being yanked back at the last possible second.
-Wargaming actually ending up in the credits, I'm not sure in what role, but it's cool.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

In an hour, we're streaming Wake Up, Girls!

Is this the idol show that finally reveals to us the dark, seedy underbelly of the yakuza-run idol business that Zorak warned us about? Tune in to find out!

Allarion posted:

Haha yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_wInsX0kQ4

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Raenir Salazar posted:

I finally got around to watching the Girls Und Panzer film and holy poo poo it's amazing.

all good points. also consider:

rosebud
momo gets a kill

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

Raenir Salazar posted:

-The Finns, I showed the scene to my Finnish friend and I told him I've started listening to Säkkijärven Polkka on loop and his reaction was "Oh dear."

I listened to that so much that I felt guilty and had to buy the actual movie soundtrack CD.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCJazUZnRHI&t=79s

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Space Flower posted:

all good points. also consider:

rosebud
momo gets a kill

Isn't it Rosehip not Rosebud?

Does Momo/the Hetzer crew have some sort of thing in the TV anime where they get denied kills?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

i love staruto trek

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Raenir Salazar posted:

Isn't it Rosehip not Rosebud?

Does Momo/the Hetzer crew have some sort of thing in the TV anime where they get denied kills?

rosebud was her sled

the Hetzer crew's thing in the tv series is that Momo is a terrible gunner who never lands a shot on target. Anzu basically gives no fucks so she just chills and lets this happen except for like two fights. I know Anzu takes over vs. Pravda.

the movie basically parallels this when Momo is gunner for the exhibition match and Anzu takes over when they need to try (and when Momo does get her kill it's hilarious and completely unintended)

Space Flower fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jun 11, 2017

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLqJmL_sAqQ

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
You should watch the TV series if you haven't, it's a pretty great sports anime

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

https://twitter.com/FurukawaMirin/status/873776364347768832

fifa this year is shaping up to be a monster
https://twitter.com/FurukawaMirin/status/873776090098974720

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://twitter.com/gulic0/status/873547426954485760

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

DOMOOOOON!!!!!!!!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Julias posted:

I guess if I had to pick, Rei from March comes in like a Lion, but that's debatable if you count it as sports...

It's sports.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Currently caught up reading about how Pu Reum Han led a normal high school life, that is, until he dreams of a lady, looking for his help to find her missing baby in the breakout manga of the summer The moon at daybreak. You guys reading anything good?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Space Flower posted:

why would you tell someone not to watch DtB Gaiden...
Darker than Black Gaiden (the OVA's) is totally fine.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

nice

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

*KAPOW!*

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Raenir Salazar posted:

Thanks for reminding me it exists because I can't believe how good GuP is.

- The Public Morals Committee losing their morals
- Everything else in that sequence, but especially the otaku team working out
- A panzerfaust with a bow tied around it in Miho's room
- Increasingly ridiculous tank stacking and throwing
- Every time a chi-ha dies gloriously
- St Gloriana never, under any circumstances, not drinking tea
- Thomas the tank in the amusement park
- That entire dialogless and musicless final sequence, holy poo poo

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Ok, I've caught up with the translations of Samon the Summoner. These are some very good terrible children.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Ok, I've caught up with the translations of Samon the Summoner. These are some very good terrible children.

It got axed :(

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

El Burbo posted:

It got axed :(

Oh no :( I knew it had ended, but I wasn't sure how.

Suddenly? I've no idea if my source of scans was up to date.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dzhay posted:

Oh no :( I knew it had ended, but I wasn't sure how.

Suddenly? I've no idea if my source of scans was up to date.

The writing was in the wall, since it had low sales and a low spot in the WSJ rankings.

The last chapter came out last week, translations aren't caught up. I just hope the author starts another series soon, samon was a great first series

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

El Burbo posted:

The writing was in the wall, since it had low sales and a low spot in the WSJ rankings.

The last chapter came out last week, translations aren't caught up. I just hope the author starts another series soon, samon was a great first series

Ah, ok. I was worried it had been cancelled between issues.

You can tell it wasn't doing too well from the appalling lack of fanart of Bushyasta.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm out of video games, i have none left to play.

Sad.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

a kitten posted:

Sad.

how is this possible

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

a kitten posted:

Sad.

You can have mine, I have about 300 I haven't touched

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

It's not, i have a reasonably sized backlog, but nothing is really calling out to me.

Witcher 3
Transistor
Tails in the Sky
Valkyria Chronicles
Actually achieve Yuritopia

Those are just what i'm pondering on PC

I'm also looking at buying Odin Sphere: subtitle or Persona 5 on ps4 or actually finishing Bravely Default (and starting the second one) or Zelda lbw. :sigh:

I just recently finished HZD, Prey, Neir:A and most of what i want to do in FFXIV.

Maybe i should just read a book (or manga).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Psycho-Pass 2 had a lot of cool ideas, like the game that tricks people into killing people and the villain actually caring about his pawns, but it also kind of squandered them. Kamui just wasn't as interesting as Makishima as the series went on, and a lot of the plot beats felt kind of dumb. After seeing a ton of people getting exploded each episode you got desensitized to it, and it felt like it missed the point of the first season when it posits the Sybil System improving as a good thing when Akane's big moment last season was rebuking its messed up ideology. Another thing that sucked was how some of the enforcers like Sho and Yayoi didn't get any development. In the case of the latter she was barely a character outside of her one backstory episode. The movie was decent, and the action scenes felt pretty cool. The enforcers got shafted again for more Akane and Kogami stuff though.

• Locked thread