Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

kaempfer0080 posted:

Thanks Tai, I didn't even realize a new server just launched. That explains a lot of the EQ buzz I've been seeing.

I wanted to try Enchanter but never really played EQ. I did play EQ2 and have a ton of MMO experience, old and new. EQ is kind of it's own beast though, do you think it would be too difficult to get the hang of?

Enchanter/bard are the most complicated classes to learn to start out with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

I'm going to give Agnarr a shot since I'm looking at the short term for the time being. Is there anything I should know before rolling in terms of good/bad? Are most goons on one side, and how important is it?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Anyone can group with anyone in EQ. It's not like WoW where there's an artificial and stupid divide between the playerbase.

Good/Evil races really just determine your starting city, and means whether or not other good/evil race NPCs will attack you on sight. Mainly just restricts what cities you can go into and what guards you need to dodge, but as the game goes on, matters less and less as new expansions will have their own factions to deal with.

Really race matters much more depending on your class. Like ogres have frontal stun immunity, making them great tanks.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Why are mages instant group invites on Agnarr? I thought they nerfed mage pets back to their classic stats pre-Phinigel?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

suuma posted:

Why are mages instant group invites on Agnarr? I thought they nerfed mage pets back to their classic stats pre-Phinigel?

Pet damage is pretty decent in groups as it is consistent dps plus add in a Mage throwing in 2-3 nukes per pull, they are probably the best dps class if stuff is messed (ignoring charm) although a wizard will crush the dps assuming you have a decent combo of mes and a tank breaking/pulling away from the messed mobs to allow you to rain. Having two wizards both raining is disgusting dps in classic (and above).

Pet nerf is only on raid mobs with motm (mitigation of the mighty).

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
I think they reduced non Earth pet mitigation even more so most pets are awful tanks for soloing. But pet classes are still good dps, mages are still strong early era, like 2 shot most mobs.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 9, 2017

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Tai posted:

Tough choice.

Agnarr

The bad side (or good depending on how you view it) of the server is that the sever stops giving new content in a few expansion so in like a year, that's it and the server will last till it mothballs (it will). It's a playground for farming and griefing for some phinny players till new expansion(s) release on their server. The only raiding guild is a poo poo show of drama and egos from wha my guild says (true or false I dunno). That's not to say other raiding guilds will form as I'm sure they will eventually.
I"m in "the only raiding guild". Having a lot of fun killing open world targets quickly, have not experienced the egos and drama you're referring to.

Agnarr is the most fun I've had in Everquest in 15 years and I highly recommend rolling here.

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

Gray Matter posted:

I"m in "the only raiding guild".

Are they not doing instances? I see no records in the dkp and very little sky. No sky efreeti cycle either? Just find that odd unless I'm somehow reading it wrong.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Agnarr is fun as poo poo everyone get in here.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

napster of meat posted:

Are they not doing instances? I see no records in the dkp and very little sky. No sky efreeti cycle either? Just find that odd unless I'm somehow reading it wrong.
Beginning split instances this weekend - we've been focused on hoovering up as many world pops as possible. As far as sky, we did 1 full clear for the server first and are going to be hitting it hard again in the near future.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

Gray Matter posted:

I"m in "the only raiding guild". Having a lot of fun killing open world targets quickly, have not experienced the egos and drama you're referring to.

Agnarr is the most fun I've had in Everquest in 15 years and I highly recommend rolling here.

Zaide is known to be a something of a dickbag when he doesn't get his way. He's nowhere near as bad as others.

Since Faceless will be top dog on that server and he can be the big fish in the little pond, it'll be fine.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I'm really enjoying playing on Agnarr at the moment. I'm level 40 and the leveling has been quick enough that it isn't a slog. Probably helps that I'm a cleric and have been getting groups in places where mobs are significantly higher level than me.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Faceless also has Dojii with his 5 dollar Wal-Mart microphone streaming his "DPS Race" kills where he picks over and snipes exp groups camping Frenzy and Efreeti. Watched them the other day come charm AM, take it over to frenzy, kill that, then kill the AM in front of the group they stole it from. Not sure if hilarious of pathetic.

Can't wait for Velious. So tired of garbage classic and Kunark krono farms.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
I doubt the classic and kunark krono farming will be as bad as phinny at its similar time. GEBs are camped to gently caress and it's already far cheaper then phinny was a few weeks in. It seems there are either way more farmers or less population/demand for key items (likely the first) on this TLP. BAMs will probably hold their value for a long time though.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I wonder if you guys will get the original VP key quest spawn rates, or the reduced ones they held back on Phinny until it had been out a while.

The way I understand it, they'd have to actually manually change it back to re-nerf it, so I suspect you'll get the easier ones, but they do like to be dicks to people.

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

I wonder if you guys will get the original VP key quest spawn rates, or the reduced ones they held back on Phinny until it had been out a while.

The way I understand it, they'd have to actually manually change it back to re-nerf it, so I suspect you'll get the easier ones, but they do like to be dicks to people.

The change affected live servers, so it'll be on Agnarr.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

xZAOx posted:

Will likely be shittier though. Phinny abused the gently caress out of pick spawning by getting their respective guilds to all zone into FV for example and then keep the pick open with someone afk. The pick changes a few months ago won't allow that to happen. Hopefully for the sake of sanity, it is on a decent timer cos some of the pieces are poo poo.

If you are on phinny, get the key if you haven't. VP 2.0 has some nice focus items in it and it's due to go live in a few expansions time so in sure people will camp it.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
VP Revamp is live with GoD, so in like 5 weeks.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

xZAOx posted:

VP Revamp is live with GoD, so in like 5 weeks.

Anything official about that? Heard it was DoN

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'm going by http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:Progression_Servers#What_expansion_do_we_get_this?

Tomahawk
Aug 13, 2003

HE KNOWS
Agnarr stops in the best era of EQ which is good.

MooselanderII
Feb 18, 2004

Is there a goon guild on Agnarr? Where everyone at?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

my friend got me back into the game for this new server. Having a hard time picking between bard, enchanter, shaman or druid. Any advice for race/class and early leveling spots?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Can't really answer that except for a general "This class plays like X" unless we know what your group comp will be like.

Steamroll early content and get fast groups? Mage or enchanter. There are TONS of these right now. Might be hard to get into a guild if raiding is your thing.

Want to heal for groups? Cleric Shaman. Bonus to shaman for having stupidly overpowered DOT spells that only get better as the expansions unlock.

Want groups but wont get any hardly? Bard or Druid. Even tho Druid is cool and good but has a stigma of being poo poo. Their DoTs got the love shaman got.

Bards.....don't be a bard.

Question:

About DoT kiting. Are all classes penalized on their dot damage if the mob is in motion and not feared?

Givin fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 10, 2017

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I've heard DoN is basically kinda like LDON 2.0 - where the raid gear isn't better than the previous. That true? For DoN are you mostly going to continue clearing Anguish?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

MooselanderII posted:

There isn't

We're all over the place. Not nearly enough people went to Agnarr to really justify a guild. The nature of a progression server doesn't really work for a goon squad either. The level ranges are too broad. I'm level 40 which I think is pretty good for the server being out for three weeks and I'm having fun and doing things as I want to do but there are a ton of level 50s out there. Every old world boss has been killed at this point I think. I don't really intend to high end raid but I'll definitely be 50 in the next week or two and then will have almost two months to make myself available for classic raid targets if I want to. Other than that it's just min-maxing group gear. As I said a few posts ago, I'm really having fun with this server though.

I'm in a massive guild so there are usually groups available with people that I vaguely know which is nice.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008

xZAOx posted:

I've heard DoN is basically kinda like LDON 2.0 - where the raid gear isn't better than the previous. That true? For DoN are you mostly going to continue clearing Anguish?

I didn't play it but wasn't that the expansion you went to lavastorm and did missions for the white or black dragon balls? I don't even think it had a big bad end boss did it? Actually who were the big bads at the end of every expansion after PoP?

Hoohah
Jun 27, 2004
Chimp

xZAOx posted:

DoN is similar to LDoN, in that yes most of the stuff is based around missions and what not. The differences are:

1. DoN missions are scaled by zone on the number of crystals they reward. For example, missions that go to Lavaspinner Lair are much easier and reward less crystals than missions that go to Thundercrest Isles or The Nest
2. DoN progression is much less retarded than LDoN. You don't have to do 380 missions, I think someone said with the faction changes you can top up your faction (to warmly, which is all you need) in 60 or so missions (from Apprehensive, they won't talk to you before then)
3. DoN raids and mini events count toward your faction. When you complete a DoN mission or raid, you get a 'Dark Reign' token or a 'Norrath Keeper' token. You can turn these in to gain 20 faction with the respective faction (and lose 40? from the other). Most guilds will pick a faction and keep doing that because the raids you get will always give you this token. When you're done factioning, put the token in the bank and you won't get any more.
4. The DoN mission currency (ebon or radiant crystals) are tradable, and require no faction at all to buy stuff with. You can buy ebon crystal gear from the vendor even if he's scowling at you. Their rooms consist entirely of non-agro quest and vendor NPCs, but there are guards on both ends.
5. There are five progressive rewards for DoN factions (at indifferent, low amiable, late amiable, kindly, and warmly) that give you the following changes: 10 stat cap (indiff), 6th spell/skill and add 250 hp/mana/edur (low amiable), additional buff slot (high amiable), increased crit change (kindly), and a very low chance to resist any detrimental spell regardless of resist or unresistable flag (warmly)
6. There are series of mini and lower number raids that reward other loot that are not required for progression.
7. The two top raids (Yar'lir and Vishimtar) reward loot that is anguish-level and OMM-level, respectively.

For the most part, raiding you'll do in DoN is Vishimtar, Yar'lir, Anguish, and that's mostly it. Some guilds may also continue to do Tacvi or MPG trials.

Like LDoN, DoN adds the next step of damage / healing focuses (Dragon Thunder, Healing, Fire, etc) but in this case the level cap remains the same (70). In DoDH, you start getting focuses that work at full power to 72.

Radiant / Ebon crystal gear, other than weapon augs, is entirely 'catch-up' loot. None of it has heroic stats or mod2s. Weapon augs are pretty good for those who don't have raw damage augs from Tunat or LDoN, stuff like procs and enraging blow for tanks.

Givin posted:

I didn't play it but wasn't that the expansion you went to lavastorm and did missions for the white or black dragon balls? I don't even think it had a big bad end boss did it? Actually who were the big bads at the end of every expansion after PoP?

*rubs hands*
DoN: Vishimtar the Fallen
DoDH: Mayong Mistmoore
PoR: Ayonae Ro
TSS: (split) Lethar 2.0 and Beltron the Shade King.
TBS: Two Gods Event, which is Solusek Ro and Mayong Mistmoore. Yes both at the same time.
SoF: Kerafyrm the Awakened (along the way, Meldrath the Malignant too).
SoD: Lord Brekt, Rider of Discord.
UF: The First Creation (along the way, Brell too).
HoT: Morell-Thule (along the way, Cazic Thule and you actually kill him for realsies in lore).
VoA: The Triunity
RoF: Xaric
CoTF: Lanys T'vyl (and Zebuxoruk, but primarily Lanys).
TDS: Lanys T'vyl (yes, again) and Calix Quirinus
TBM: Anashti Sul, Enslaver of Souls (you fight her three times in her three 'aspects'.)
EoK: This is the only one I don't know.

Hoohah fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jun 10, 2017

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Solarin posted:

my friend got me back into the game for this new server. Having a hard time picking between bard, enchanter, shaman or druid. Any advice for race/class and early leveling spots?

A bard or enchanter.

Enc is the best single dps in the game along with mes and slow.

A bard is a ghetto enc along with being the best puller in game (monks aren't better) and you hit god tier puller status with the AA fade. Plus your songs buff the group.

Druid and shaman are great classes but other classes do poo poo better. Shaman dot heal doesn't get amazing till PoP but just take a cleric. Both enc and bard can slow as well as doing other stuff. Druids are that class that can do a bit of most things well but not great. When I form a group for exp, I never invite Druids or shamans on phinny because there's not point when I can invite a cleric and enc and/or bard.

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

Oh god I have no idea what's going on. I made a human enchanter and I'm level 2. I killed Fappy Darkpaw and got said dark paw, which I don't know what to do with. Is it a quest item or something?

I'm hoping I can stick with this up to the point I can try grouping because I actually like camping with random people and grinding, but the beginning levels have been tough...attention-span wise. Probably made much worse by choosing Enchanter.

When do people start grouping, 10?

e: Forgot to mention, I noticed they just started testing for a new EQ2 TLE server. I haven't played that game in a long long time but I did really like it when I did, so I'll probably check that out when the server launched.

kaempfer0080 fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jun 11, 2017

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
Fippy's Paw isn't really used for anything, but it's a reasonable all/all item for you for now.

People group whenever but usually it's 4-5+. Unfortunately Enchanter has one of the worst starts of any class imo, since all you can do til 8 or so is melee + your DoT and your pet.

suuma fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 11, 2017

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
The Qeynos newbie yard can make you newbie rich. Learn to use the loot window here. Set any No Trade items that drop there to never loot and scoop up all the other stuff. Pay special attention to King Snake Skins off of any of the snakes and any skeleton parts that aren't no drop. They can vendor for 1p and up each. People might buy up Snake Eggs by the boatload. It's one of the ways to skill up to the higher end cooking. If you do wan to save these, make sure they are in a lower bag slot than your newbie food or you will eat them.

Stick with it and grind it out to about 6 or 7. You should have a decent plat base now and some cloth armors. You can get to 50 naked so don't feel like you have to rush to gear up. Focus on your critical spell lines.

From there you can try for a Blackburrow group or try and grab a port over to West Commonlands from druids passing through Surefall Glade. It seems like 7 to 10 is tough to get groups because people soloing to max out initial loot and cash. Once over that hump, its fun. Early game has always been poo poo.

Also, don't forget to bind at a soulbinder until 12.

wazu
Jan 26, 2004

kaempfer0080 posted:

Oh god I have no idea what's going on. I made a human enchanter and I'm level 2. I killed Fappy Darkpaw and got said dark paw, which I don't know what to do with. Is it a quest item or something?

I'm hoping I can stick with this up to the point I can try grouping because I actually like camping with random people and grinding, but the beginning levels have been tough...attention-span wise. Probably made much worse by choosing Enchanter.

When do people start grouping, 10?

e: Forgot to mention, I noticed they just started testing for a new EQ2 TLE server. I haven't played that game in a long long time but I did really like it when I did, so I'll probably check that out when the server launched.

Interesting. I've never heard of anybody who played EQ2. Now I'm curious. What was it like?

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

wazu posted:

Interesting. I've never heard of anybody who played EQ2. Now I'm curious. What was it like?

It shifts between "baller" and "a mess" with every expansion release.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

wazu posted:

It had interactive tradeskilling which I always thought was pretty cool!

kaempfer0080
Aug 22, 2011

Certified Weeb

wazu posted:

Hmm, let me see what I can remember.

I really liked the graphics because it seemed, at the time, like maybe it was a very much improved version of the SWG engine. I loved SWG so I guess it struck a chord with me. Leveling after about 10 was done mostly in groups, but I think there are always solo mobs available too. Grouping was really fun though.

They have a more modern quest system but the initial game didn't have a linear quest path through a series of zones, and I don't think there were anywhere near enough quests to take you to max level. They had heritage quests which were long quests that take you all over the world and require groups at certain points, the rewards were generally awesome items that I think were based off of important items from EQ1. Things like Journeyman's Boots and Flowing Black Robe/Sash/whatever that thing is.

At some point they added epic weapon quest lines for each class. Speaking of classes, it has more than EQ1. I think they took every EQ1 class and split it in to a good/evil archetype. For example, instead of Enchanter you have Illusionist and Coercer. Instead of Monk you have ...Monk? and Bruiser. SK and Paladin are both still SK and Paladin though.

I think as Mormon Star Wars said, it shifts between being great and being not-so-great. I mostly remember playing during the expansion that had a bunch of floating islands and I loved it. I'm not actually sure if the base game is good though.

edit: Just noticed someone bumped the EQ2 thread, which I didn't even know existed, so I'm going to stop making GBS threads up the EQ thread with EQ2 talk.

kaempfer0080 fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 11, 2017

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

MooselanderII posted:

Me and a couple other goons are guilded up. I've spent most of my time crafting though, so I'm only 18.

Other goons are 40+ though.

E: That said, if anyone wants Banded armor, hit me up. I'm Wolrok in game, and would be happy to send a suit of armor to a needy goon (though paying for cost of materials ~30pp, would be nice).

Willias fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 12, 2017

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I'm a 17 Rogue, I'd appreciate a guild invite. Name is Stabbs.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

wazu posted:

My one true MMO love. I'll probably bail on Agnarr once the EQ2 TLE launches again. I won't tell you how many max level characters I have in that mess of a game (it's a lot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dracneir
Oct 11, 2009

HAHA I TOOK AWAY YOUR SPAESS MAREENE AVATAR FAGGOT :qq: SOME MORE
I'm in Vigilant Blade on Steeb, 37 shaman. Can invite any goons who want, lot of leveling groups and they have a discord. Haven't seen any goons since the first day or two of the server in the global chat.