Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Fauxhawk Express posted:

The Tilkedromes catch a bunch of poo poo for having pretty much all paved runoff, but poo poo like that and Servia's wreck at Laguna Seca really prove it's for the better. I hate seeing cars dig in like that.

This was my first thought watching that. Grass looks pretty but is a safety hazard. Rip it out.

Bonus: An all-paved infield would allow figure-8 racing on the internal short track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
just think, Indycars are gonna be doing 220+ past that tomorrow night

that same angle of flip in an open cockpit car is almost certain death

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Another few inches, and Briscoe harpooning into the Fontana infield would've been a lot worse, and a paved infield would've prevented Greg Moore's wreck.

ok I'll stop posting Indycar stuff in the NASCAR thread

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
In fairness Indycars don't have that loving splitter

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Apart from threadtitle.txt, why did NASCAR feel the splitter was a good idea again?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

iospace posted:

Apart from threadtitle.txt, why did NASCAR feel the splitter was a good idea again?

its a cheap and easy way to make a lot of front downforce, which drivers like (theoretically) and makes the cars faster

in some ways, the entire car is designed around the front splitter kinda like how current openwheel cars are designed around the keel

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

In fairness Indycars don't have that loving splitter

In fairness they do have wheels and tires, which is what dug into the grass and caused that wreck last night

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
They're going faster so instead of landing on the roof they'll go all the way around and land on their wheeltires.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
How do we know we're at Pocono this week?

Because Xfinity qualifying is red flagged while track workers try and capture a fox that's hiding in the SAFER barrier.

It's clownshoes, as you might expect.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

VikingSkull posted:

Because Xfinity qualifying is red flagged while track workers try and capture a fox that's hiding in the SAFER barrier.

And F1 has to worry about woodchucks on the track too. Gotta love the local wildlife.

Elitist Bitch
Sep 13, 2007

VikingSkull posted:

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I like when the occasional cobra wanders onto the track in Sepang.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Fuckin weird to be excited about an Xfinity race broadcast

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
I'm only watching in the hopes of seeing one of them crack and break down on air

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Danica seems salty

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

So when are we going to see the Fox broadcast team hop into Cup cars?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

WindyMan posted:

1995 or so

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

We have Drive to Survive at home

WindyMan posted:

Mikey raced the 500.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

~ You Don't Have to be Lonely / At DriversOnly.com ~

Cityfolk just don't get it!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.facebook.com/jenheld.shick/videos/10209399157364595/

You're a class act, Mr. Dillon.

Also Danica is as good off the track as she is on the track.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/AllWaltrip/status/873633705830567936

double posting, but I don't give a poo poo.

What races were these? they look prime for synchtube watching.

That and watching some of the old highlights of the Permatex 200 I saw online. Not sure if Viking has shown those, but goddamn, Modifieds on a road course sounds incredible.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

:lol:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Adam Alexander said just now on SXM that Kevin Harvick signed a contract with FOX last offseason and Harvick shadowed him last week at Dover to learn the PBP role.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I can see Harvick doing decently in that role, he needs more practice at it first though.

LASTCAR
Mar 25, 2010

I like the drivers
you never hear about
in the cars
you never see
who finish in the position
you never want

Adam could use more practice, too.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I enjoyed the commentary by the drivers today. Wish the 20 had taken it instead of Brad.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://twitter.com/AllWaltrip/status/873633705830567936

double posting, but I don't give a poo poo.

What races were these? they look prime for synchtube watching.

That and watching some of the old highlights of the Permatex 200 I saw online. Not sure if Viking has shown those, but goddamn, Modifieds on a road course sounds incredible.

the pro tier mods at Daytona, which I'm not sure there's footage of, are the two or three years that they ran them on the full oval and they were like 5mph faster than the Cup cars

von Manstein
Jul 30, 2005

Panzer P.I.M.P
Bloomquist won the Late Model Dream at Eldora, so expect a news article sometime next week about him cheating...

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

VikingSkull posted:

the pro tier mods at Daytona, which I'm not sure there's footage of, are the two or three years that they ran them on the full oval and they were like 5mph faster than the Cup cars

I guess it was implied that the modifieds at the time were actually the "busch" series of it's day.. I could be very, very wrong on that. I defer to you on it as you're the thread Dick Berggren.
http://racing-reference.info/nomod.htm

I've become fascinated with the stock car culture outside of the south. I think ASA, ARCA, USAC's stock car division, The modifieds of the northeast and such are VASTLY downplayed in their importance to NASCAR's popularity nationally.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Well the Busch of the day were the Late Models, like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R10l9uChW9M, that's from 1980 which IIRC was the last year the modifieds ran the big oval. The modifieds were actually the first type of car NASCAR had, then came the roadster division, and a year later they started the strictly stock division that became Cup

Fun fact about that racing reference page, see 1952? That's Frankie Schneider, a dude I've talked to more than once and one of the legends of my local track. Probably the greatest modified driver of all time, the Dick Trickle of early dirt modifieds

VikingSkull fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 11, 2017

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

von Manstein posted:

Bloomquist won the Late Model Dream at Eldora, so expect a news article sometime next week about him cheating...

I also saw him win the second feature Thursday night in the #Circle With A Logo In It car.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
Jr can't retire fast enough.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
this is a race and it's at PocozzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
This race just got hot

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Yikes, that's a hell of an impact.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
jesus

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Welp

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/DaleJr/status/874011027557449730

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
so I guess the broadcast team gave a shout out to Frank Cozze during the race for winning at Grandview, that's pretty cool, Cozze is good people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

We got a race! get hosed kyle.

• Locked thread