Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME
The acting from the redcoats is suspiciously bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah I'm digging this so far just for the fun of Victorians on Mars. The dialogue with these soldiers is fun too - "That's enough from you, you 'orrible old man."

Edit: I don't like the effect of the Ice Warriors' weapons, I'd actually have preferred something more along the lines of the warping effect from back in the 1960s.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 10, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
"Sod this for a game of soldiers." :D

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my loving God is it Alpha Centauri!?!

Edit: YESSSSSSSSSS

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
OH MY GOD! :3:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That was fun. Nothing groundbreaking, but it was fun. Plus, you know... Alpha Centauri!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fanshow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG1iTe1tniw
Preview
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsf6ktN-leA

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, I quite enjoyed that. Anti-colonialism, continuing this season's theme of being progressively left wing.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm hoping to see what the Martian Golden Age looks like - have there been any episodes based during it or showing Golden-Age Martians or was that just a revival thing that hasn't been elaborated on?

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm hoping to see what the Martian Golden Age looks like - have there been any episodes based during it or showing Golden-Age Martians or was that just a revival thing that hasn't been elaborated on?

Well, let me introduce you to a little story called The Curse of Peladon.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh christ, that was the original voice actress for Alpha Centauri too!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BioEnchanted posted:

Closest we see is in the Peladon stories (particularly the first one) from the Jon Pertwee era, where the Ice Warriors are respected, admired and somewhat feared on the intergalactic scale. We see one posted as a diplomat on Peladon where they're preparing to usher the planet into the Galactic Federation. The story has a bit of fun with it because Ice Warriors had only ever been seen before as baddies/monsters on the show.

Edit: It's also the first appearance of.... ALPHA CENTAURI! :hellyeah:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooh, BBC Radio 4 has a C.Bakes BF audio: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08thzv7

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

The_Doctor posted:

Oh christ, that was the original voice actress for Alpha Centauri too!

Not knowing who that is, but it sounded like Zelda from Terrahawks.

He said the same thing on the radio on Tuesday, and then finished off with "after this I'm going back to do another draft of the christmas episode". It begins shooting next week. Moffat. Moffat never changes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

echoplex posted:

Not knowing who that is, but it sounded like Zelda from Terrahawks.

Alpha Centauri was the one-eyed Alien on the screen at the end. Ysanne Churchman wasn't in Terrahawks, sadly, but now you've made me remember its greatness.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

The_Doctor posted:

Ooh, BBC Radio 4 has a C.Bakes BF audio: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08thzv7

Minor spoiler for this one: Alex McQueen is in it. But isn't playing the Master, so don't get your hopes up.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I did like the line "Look, i'm going to let your Victorian sensibilities slide because... well... you're Victorian..."

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I accidentally got spoiled on Alpha Centauri by Twitter but thought it sounded like a load of bollocks until I saw the episode. Wow.

One of Mark Gatiss' best, by the way. Not quite on the same level as The Unquiet Dead or The Crimson Horror but a pretty close third.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked it!

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's likely my favorite Gatiss episode.

Very pleased the Ice Warriors weren't just The Bad Guys

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Good fun - definite improvement on the last week's and indeed both weeks before that.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I loved the payoff to the Doctor not knowing any movies. Decent episode, but then anything would look good after last week.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
That was fun! I don't know what the person from Alpha Centauri is, and I don't know whether it'll be more fun to look it up or not. I'll probably do it after the finale just incase it's relevant. I initially thought it was Missy asking for where they are to show up and IDK, kill them all or something.

I guess there are a lot of people who've watched original Dr Who. Can I get reccomendations for serials where the Dr is a bit brooding? Sort of like Eccleston-esque I'm a bad person who's killed everyone, Smith i've been an awful person (they've all done it). It's come up a few times over the last decade for every Doctor and I always enjoy the episodes where it does. For reference, one of my favourite moments is on the ep when England is on the space-whale and he's very sad about it being the last of its species.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I thought it was Missy too, and she was going to kill them offscreen and then take the tardis home. I kind of wish they'd delayed her showing up a bit because now I'm just impatiently waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Curse of Fenric and Ghost Light both give good brooding McCoy.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010
I agree it wasn't anything ground-breaking (ha!) but it was definitely passable.

I do think the coward colonel coming back to save the day via heroic sacrifice was a nice emotional moment (but, much like The Doctor, everyone probably suspected it wouldn't actually involve any sacrifice).

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I'm digging this so far just for the fun of Victorians on Mars. The dialogue with these soldiers is fun too - "That's enough from you, you 'orrible old man."

"I dare say the British Empire can handle a couple of upright crocodiles" :britain:

2house2fly posted:

I loved the payoff to the Doctor not knowing any movies. Decent episode, but then anything would look good after last week.

I liked the payoff there too. Certainly seems better than The Doctor randomly busting out the ghostbusters theme tune.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I wasn't sure I was on board with the episode early on, everything seemed a little low-budget, but then Friday turned up looking for all the world like a classic rubber-suit monster and I was totally on board. It was all a little shaky and hammy, but if you get into the mood for that it's great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The_Doctor posted:

Alpha Centauri was the one-eyed Alien on the screen at the end. Ysanne Churchman wasn't in Terrahawks, sadly, but now you've made me remember its greatness.

Terrahawks, of course, just being the latest series from Big Finish:

https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/v/terrahawks

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I think I preferred Gatiss' "Alien on a submarine" Ice Warriors episode from series 7 but that was a decent bit of fun.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

I think I preferred Gatiss' "Alien on a submarine" Ice Warriors episode from series 7 but that was a decent bit of fun.

This one had the bonus of not taking the Ice Warrior out of their suit, that was really bad (I enjoyed the episode otherwise)

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Jerusalem posted:

This one had the bonus of not taking the Ice Warrior out of their suit, that was really bad (I enjoyed the episode otherwise)

Yeah, that was a tad naff.

Semi-related though, I'm glad this episode didn't see "female Ice Warrior" and go "humanise the face and slap some tits on them, really sexy it up" like the revival did with the Silurians.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

yeah i just quit out of this one, that was incredibly bad.

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jun 11, 2017

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Empress of Mars gifs - Click to view

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I really liked the design of the Ice Warrior Queen.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I liked the episode, but someone is salty about their colonial past, lol. Colonialism is bad, and also every single member of the victorian armed forces was greedy, cowardly, foolish, and generally a lousy person. With the accidental discharge and casual mutiny, they weren't even good at being soldiers. They were cartoonish.

It was so unnecessary. The soldiers could have been competent people like the soldiers in Time of the Angels, and still run into the same problem of cultural misunderstanding. There is no reason the queen had to be awoken by a guy planning to steal anything he could carry and then abandon his mates taking the only means of transportation.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Facebook Aunt posted:

I liked the episode, but someone is salty about their colonial past, lol. Colonialism is bad, and also every single member of the victorian armed forces was greedy, cowardly, foolish, and generally a lousy person. With the accidental discharge and casual mutiny, they weren't even good at being soldiers. They were cartoonish.

It was so unnecessary. The soldiers could have been competent people like the soldiers in Time of the Angels, and still run into the same problem of cultural misunderstanding. There is no reason the queen had to be awoken by a guy planning to steal anything he could carry and then abandon his mates taking the only means of transportation.

Well they were progressive enough to have a black soldier, so they weren't all bad! :v:

Like was that actually a thing? Really? I get that Moffat doesn't want to be racist and not cast people of color in any particular role, and he wants to show people of color that they aren't left out. I also get ok, maybe there could have been a random black family in a medieval village who somehow traveled thousands of miles in the 10th century to Britain, and there could have been black people and Indians in a cosmopolitan capital of an empire like 19th century London. But at some point isn't he doing a disservice showing something that absolutely would never have happened? Or did it? Were there black soldiers serving with whites in Queen Victoria's army, like the 20 or so black Confederates people manage to dredge up to "prove" the South wasn't racist? I mean, the black Roman soldier in next week's preview seems more historically plausible. :shrug:

It seems a long way off from acknowledging the bad parts of our history, which the show didn't shy from in Human Nature, or Remembrance of the Daleks.

Stuff like this and the female pope just seem like Moffat saying "Hey, look, it turns out people were actually totally progressive and open minded in history, it was just hidden from the historical record by evil cishistorians! Everything was totally cool!"

Astroman fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 11, 2017

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It's the problem any fictional work not explicitly about race has if it takes place before, oh, 1970. You want to be accurate for the time, but you can't exactly tell casting 'whites only'.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
I don't think a single black soldier is supposed to be an absolution of historical racism??? like, they went out of the way in Thin Ice to not only say "yeah things are going to be pretty bad for you as a minority here in history, but there are going to be more PoC around than whitewashed history would make you believe," specifically mentioning Jesus who obviously would have been a brown Middle Eastern dude but is typically portrayed as the long haired bishie white guy, and then show Bill suffering some pretty nasty racial abuse so it's a pretty long bow to think the point is "actually things were super rosy back then"

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Astroman posted:

Well they were progressive enough to have a black soldier, so they weren't all bad! :v:

Like was that actually a thing? Really? I get that Moffat doesn't want to be racist and not cast people of color in any particular role, and he wants to show people of color that they aren't left out. I also get ok, maybe there could have been a random black family in a medieval village who somehow traveled thousands of miles in the 10th century to Britain, and there could have been black people and Indians in a cosmopolitan capital of an empire like 19th century London. But at some point isn't he doing a disservice showing something that absolutely would never have happened? Or did it? Were there black soldiers serving with whites in Queen Victoria's army, like the 20 or so black Confederates people manage to dredge up to "prove" the South wasn't racist? I mean, the black Roman soldier in next week's preview seems more historically plausible. :shrug:

It seems a long way off from acknowledging the bad parts of our history, which the show didn't shy from in Human Nature, or Remembrance of the Daleks.

Stuff like this and the female pope just seem like Moffat saying "Hey, look, it turns out people were actually totally progressive and open minded in history, it was just hidden from the historical record by evil cishistorians! Everything was totally cool!"

A couple of years ago, I was reading an article about some high school students in Montana who were painting a mural of early cowboys, and about three out of the ten cowboys were black. And I was thinking "okay, inclusiveness is nice, but this is rural Montana, so this is going a bit far". Then I saw that it was based on a photograph, and that the people in the photograph were indeed racially diverse.
So sometimes it is stretched a little bit for dramatic effect, but in general, lots of times in the past were more racially diverse than they are portrayed. Or the original portrayals were forgotten by histories. In the original stories, there are black people sailing with Odyssey and Muslims in King Arthur's court. A little bit of diversity might be a stretch, but it isn't enough to make me suspend my disbelief. I actually had more problems with trying to reconcile the lack of discipline and good military tactics amongst the soldiers than I did with the presence of a single black soldier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I'm liking these stories being kind of quiet and understated.

Notice how little the Doctor did in this episode: no big speeches, no timey-wimey balls, no zaniness. He basically tried to talk sense into people and failed. He was mostly just along for the ride.

I know it probably goes against what the BBC is trying to do in terms of demographic appeal, but I wouldn't mind going back to really slow-paced Classic episodes. This story makes me wish it was a Pertwee six part serial. I yearn for that type of boredom.

• Locked thread