Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Black Panthers legit owned, Nation of islam was a cult who were fine working with neo-nazi's since they both had goal of racial purity.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

In a world without the sequels to cheapen it retroactively it could be seen for what it truly is. A master thesis on horror. It's the unknown. It's the other. It's a haunted house. It's isolation. It's a slasher. It's rape. It's body horror. It's plague. It's betrayal. It's abandonment. It's every subgenre of horror in one package.

Working class schlubs are sold out by their bosses to obtain a completely alien creature because it's more valuable than they are. Alone in space they are hunted by this thing. They rely on the expertise of a close friend to save them from this thing that violently impregnates you and its spawn tears you apart as it's birthed, only to discover their friend is a literally soulless machine who has double crossed them. And it tells this story, jumping across genres and themes, seamlessly.

Yes, with Aliens existing it's the slower, less exciting movie.

But Alien stands mountains taller than Aliens, or anything else in the horror genre. It is, no doubt, a perfect film.

This is why I like Alien 3 more than Aliens or Resurrection. The xeno killing people by itself is much more terrifying than groups of them hunting people.

And props to Ridley for keeping one xeno alive at a time in Covenant despite the endless amount of James Cameron fans on the internet whining for Aliens: Part II.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
The horror movie style of Alien with a single Alien is much more scary than the action style of Aliens with hordes of Aliens getting ripped apart by guns.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Space Taxi posted:

The horror movie style of Alien with a single Alien is much more scary than the action style of Aliens with hordes of Aliens getting ripped apart by guns.

But the Aliens getting ripped apart by guns makes for a great, tense, action movie.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Mike I thought was really stretching for something when he said that college students would be protesting The Mummy if they did it like the 30s movie. I mean did anyone protest when those Scott Summers mummy movies came out? No because they were fun action adventure romps with likable casts, good set design, great FX (I'm talking about the 1st movie mostly on this front), and a easy to follow story.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mike is the protester. Singular.

RedSpider
May 12, 2017

achillesforever6 posted:

Mike I thought was really stretching for something when he said that college students would be protesting The Mummy if they did it like the 30s movie. I mean did anyone protest when those Scott Summers mummy movies came out? No because they were fun action adventure romps with likable casts, good set design, great FX (I'm talking about the 1st movie mostly on this front), and a easy to follow story.

Were hipsters a thing in 1999, though?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

achillesforever6 posted:

I'm from an Arabic family and I remember my mom loving that movie thanks to the Arabic language and actors in the first film, is there anything like that in this one?

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

"show me the mummy"

lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah seems unlikely

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
So why did they set the mummy in everywhere but eygpt?

He was guessing why it had a lovely plot.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
Ha ha. Mike making GBS threads on retard millennials protesting nonsense.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ups_rail posted:

So why did they set the mummy in everywhere but eygpt?

He was guessing why it had a lovely plot.

Reverse Racism?

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
that mum-mum tho

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
SHOW ME THE MUMMY!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah that was weird to me as well. Ancient Egypt was kind of a long time ago and I'm pretty sure even the most eager to be offended idiots aren't going to confuse it with modern day egyptian culture.

Also I don't really pay attention to trailers and marketing, so I had no idea Tom Cruise was in The Cummy. Fully agree with them that it seems like cynical setup to make him the star of their dumb cinematic universe. Also also gently caress cinematic universes. I want to see movies, not decade long marketing campaigns.

Speaking of movies, I saw Green Room last night and it's great. Jay also liked it iirc, so his miserable depraved sex pervert tastes continue to line up with mine.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Show me the cummy

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016
Cinematic universes are bad and Tom Cruise is trying to sell a turd.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

bloom posted:

Speaking of movies, I saw Green Room last night and it's great. Jay also liked it iirc, so his miserable depraved sex pervert tastes continue to line up with mine.

Mike actually liked that one too.

Check out Blue Ruin by the same director if you haven't. It's also Jay approved.

galumphing lummox
Aug 30, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Show me the cummy

well, alright. *unzips*

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This reminds me how good and fun the Mummy is. Rachel Weisz is smoking and the rest of the cast is solid.

Death is only the beginning.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

oohhboy posted:

This reminds me how good and fun the Mummy is. Rachel Weisz is smoking and the rest of the cast is solid.

Death is only the beginning.

The second movie also has its moment and is very silly. Third one has football yetis and whatever special effects package came out the week they were filming.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

Tom Cruise is an old man. His dick doesn't work any more.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I just noticed how big Josh's head is.

Actually he looks like Andre the giant when he's in a panel

Illiterate Clitoris
Oct 24, 2011

The protest thing was more about how the studio constructed it to be as safe as possible. While it may not be necessarily true it was still a good observation.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Space Taxi posted:

Which RLM guy said old people jerk off a lot?

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

super sweet best pal posted:

Which RLM guy said old people jerk off a lot?

Rich is the old man of the group. He probably jerks off like crazy.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

a bone to pick posted:

I'm from an Arabic family and I remember my mom loving that movie thanks to the Arabic language and actors in the first film, is there anything like that in this one?

They seem to be fighting ISIS guys. So probably all the arabic is just terrorist mooks getting mowed down with machine guns.

thoughts and prayers
Apr 22, 2013

Love heals all wounds. We hope you continually carry love in your heart. Today and always, may loving memories bring you peace, comfort, and strength. We sympathize with the family of (Name). We shall never forget you in our prayers and thoughts. I am at a loss for words during this sorrowful time.

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, the Hobbit was extremely bad for this. I wasn't remotely entertained by any of it, it was stupid and over the top but without being entertaining. In some old chinese movie they'll have an insane over the top goofy fight scene with wire work and props and poo poo but also mostly real stunt work so I can appreciate the skill that went into it, but things are still grounded and real because it actually is real. In the hobbit I was ready to just peace out and leave at the barrel scene. Not only was it boring and lovely, it misses the entire point of the book in that their escape was shameful and pathetic. They had to slink away in old barrels like some river trash rather than escape heroically and Bilbo had to convince them it wasn't shameful or cowardly.

That's why I have a difficult time letting Jackson off the hook for how bad it is because he came in at the last minute.

I'm a designer, and have come in really late in big, screwed up projects. What you do is find ways to do the *minimum* possible in as many areas as possible, find clever ways to misdirect / hide / distract, and then find the few places that absolutely need a Big Bang and spend the whole effort there.

Some people, that comes easily. Others, it doesn't, and they really need to work the hell and out something (and get a lot of help) to get it right.

Jackson's first instinct is always 'too much'.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

mike wash your hair

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
I enjoyed a classic ripping apart a bad popcorn movie HITB.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
I hope they stop using those chapter headings. The discussion flows just fine without a silly caption reading "Conclusion" or "Tom Cruise" or whatever.

Otoh, I hope they start doing more reenactment bits. That Russell Crowe spoof was great.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

Space Taxi posted:

Look at this guy who's chocked full of Thetans. Tom Cruise is so clear he has super-powers.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Universe Master posted:

Look at this guy who's chocked full of Thetans. Tom Cruise is so clear he has super-powers.

They have to digitally remove his Thetans these days.

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
Jay has the cutest little hand gestures, anyone else ever notice?

That Looney Tunes bit busted my gut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

PerilPastry posted:

I hope they stop using those chapter headings. The discussion flows just fine without a silly caption reading "Conclusion" or "Tom Cruise" or whatever.

Otoh, I hope they start doing more reenactment bits. That Russell Crowe spoof was great.

Yes, that and the Blade Runner Rich Evans skit were great. It's like they've finally learnt something about film-making after all those years of making GBS threads on movies.

• Locked thread