Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My axolotl has a fungal infection because the weather's been too warm :( Been doing salt baths and daily water changes in the quarantine tank but it sucks to have a weird pet that is sick because it's so much harder to tell what's going on versus with a dog or a cat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

I was thinking about posting in SA Mart, but figured I'd ask here first: I'm looking to go up to a larger tank for my beardy, do you all have a particular site you prefer? Or if anyone has a 50+ gallon they'd part with I'd rather give a goon money dollars.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Shipping a huge tank is insanely expensive. You're way better off finding a local place to buy a tank from IMO

Mocking Bird
Aug 17, 2011

PathAsc posted:

I was thinking about posting in SA Mart, but figured I'd ask here first: I'm looking to go up to a larger tank for my beardy, do you all have a particular site you prefer? Or if anyone has a 50+ gallon they'd part with I'd rather give a goon money dollars.

My local Craigslist ALWAYS has 55+ gallons for pennies because they're such a pain in the dick to move. Dollar gallon sales at the local petco/smart whatever are also golden.

Hardly anyone will deliver you a tank since they're fragile and heavy, but you can rent a truck from Home Depot for an hour or a van from uhaul, use the Lugg app if you're into start up central, or see if an uber/lyft plus would be willing to help you out (that last one is how I get stuff home from Craigslist)

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Thanks guys, I figured CL would be good. I've got no problem moving it, so busy need to find one! I'll keep an eye out at the pet smart, didn't know they did that!

E: got one off someone for .66 a gallon. Thanks again!

PathAsc fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jun 12, 2017

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Second Tinley Park show is coming up in October right? I know NARBC had dropped Anneheim last I checked.

Gonna try and get a Hognose permit before then so I can actually get one at the show.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Got my habitat all set up and little dude loves it! Question though, because I trust goons: how do I get him to poo poo in one area. I know they drop a lot when young, but I'm not sure how to make this happen. GF beardy does it no prob, but it's older by a few months.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
...I did not know you can actually potty train some of them.

Couple of my reptiles naturally poo in one spot.

Leopard Gecko has her poopin cave.

One of the corn snakes turns her water bowl into a toilet bowl and I hate her for it.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Cless Alvein posted:

One of the corn snakes turns her water bowl into a toilet bowl and I hate her for it.
Spaghetti used to do this, until I saw that he was actually pooping around the border of his water bowl and by having the substrate so high, it was leaking in. Now I keep the substrate much lower than the bowl rim and problem is solved!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cless Alvein posted:

...I did not know you can actually potty train some of them.

Couple of my reptiles naturally poo in one spot.

Leopard Gecko has her poopin cave.

I'm thinking about moving his fecal matter to the spot for a while, but if that doesn't work I can live with it. I could move it to near where he does the most too.

Anyway, he seems pretty content with his living space, got a huge tank for cheap as gently caress so he can run, climb, and hide to his tiny lizard brain's content. The kids love the poo poo of of him!

That sucks about the snake, that's gotta be a pain.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
It smells absolutely awful since I feed the corns chicks instead of mice. I'm assuming the extra protein content is what makes it smell so awful.

This has also reminded me that I ran out of chicks and need to order more. Got some left over mice to feed them for now.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Oh god, I tried to pick up a poop the other day that I thought was fully dry, cracked it open, and let loose a miserable fog of hate.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

In May I went to a reptile show and came home with my first boa. This is David Boa, named by my daughter. I am in love with this little guy. He is so chill, with a great personality. It's a nice change form the carpets who can't stop moving around when handled.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

I'm babysitting a young bearded dragon and I'm a little worried he's impacted. I'm wondering how long to wait and see before acting.

I've only had him for a week, but he's spent almost all that time on top of the rock hut from what I've seen. However, he's been inside the hut for a few hours now, lying down (not holding his head up). It hasn't been long enough to tell if he's stopped pooping (he seems to go 1/day). I haven't noticed any of the serious symptoms I read about, like back legs becoming paralyzed.

Diet details: He's probably 8 inches long, tip to tail (that's a guess). I've been giving him 2-3 large crickets each morning and 2 in the evening, sprinkled with calcium powder. He's gotten carrots every day and bok choy a few times, diced up to bits probably around 4mm in size.

Only other thing I can think of sounds like a long shot to me, but I'll include it: His heat lamp goes off at 8pm and I'm usually awake until the the wee hours, so there's still some light and sound in the room. He lies down at night but opens his eyes a bit if I move or something. Is he catching up on sleep?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
Chiming in to say that we had similar issues with our guy staying up if we stayed up, so we "built " some curtains for him just using clip on magnets holding up towels in front of his tank. We put them up when his lights turn off and take them off in the morning and it has helped a lot.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

mactheknife posted:

Chiming in to say that we had similar issues with our guy staying up if we stayed up, so we "built " some curtains for him just using clip on magnets holding up towels in front of his tank. We put them up when his lights turn off and take them off in the morning and it has helped a lot.

Starting to think you're right. I tried to bathe him and handling him seems to have woken him up. He's moving and eating normally now. I'll try and make a similar rig or move him to another room tonight.

Thanks!

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Smug rear end in a top hat on pride rock:

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Elmore is the awesomest thing ever and I love him. I never knew how badly I needed a lizard in my life until I got him.

This one is currently the wallpaper on one of my work computers:

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

That's a cute goddamn lizard:3:

Mine was being lazy today hanging in his log hide. I was envious as I drove to work.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

PathAsc posted:

That's a cute goddamn lizard:3:

D'aaawwww, thanks! :hfive:

Is yours naturally that light or is it just the tank lighting?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

D'aaawwww, thanks! :hfive:

Is yours naturally that light or is it just the tank lighting?

It's mostly the lighting, I've got the UVB lamps all along the tank, but a couple closer to his basking spot. Another is close to another vertical space, he's a big fan of all the lights. I believe he's about to shed again, he's got some bright orange, and it's really vivid on his ears. I'm post another pic after the shed. Here's he is today:

And here's the tank itself:

One of him before a shed when I got him:

My kids are pretty drat happy about him as well!

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

He's a cutie. :3:

How big is that tank? I've got Elmore in a 40-gallon, but as he's getting bigger I'm thinking I might need to upgrade.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

He's a cutie. :3:

How big is that tank? I've got Elmore in a 40-gallon, but as he's getting bigger I'm thinking I might need to upgrade.

Somewhere between 130 and 150. Craigslist special! I figure he's got room to run a bit more and it gave me more space to give him some climbing areas. My girlfriend has hers in a 40 gal and she seems content in there, chills in the hammock and runs after her crickets! Good times.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I would love a beardie but it's hard to find the space for an enclosure that large in my house. I've seen dragons with their owners at Petco and reptile shows on cute little leashes and they are so chill. Some day I'd love to have one. Not sure about roaches anywhere near my house though.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

HungryMedusa posted:

I would love a beardie but it's hard to find the space for an enclosure that large in my house. I've seen dragons with their owners at Petco and reptile shows on cute little leashes and they are so chill. Some day I'd love to have one. Not sure about roaches anywhere near my house though.

As long as you can keep them secure it's ok, like putting a larger bowl or something around the enclosure for the roaches. I need to get my beardy more used to handling while he's young.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Eh as long as you don't live in the SE, you don't really need to worry about Dubias getting loose. They won't be able to breed or anything.

Occasionally I'll have a couple escapees cuz I forgot to secure the lid. Just pick em up and toss em back in their box.

Didn't somebody buy a Tegu a while back? That person still post? I'd love to hear updates on easily my fav reptile.

Invader Zym
Sep 19, 2002
10 year old daughter wants a pet lizard for her birthday. She's relatively responsible and careful. I'm looking for something not too expensive, tolerant of handling, that can live in a 20 gallon tank or smaller. Crested gecko and leopard gecko seem like the best candidates - any recommendation between the two, or another species?

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Invader Zym posted:

10 year old daughter wants a pet lizard for her birthday. She's relatively responsible and careful. I'm looking for something not too expensive, tolerant of handling, that can live in a 20 gallon tank or smaller. Crested gecko and leopard gecko seem like the best candidates - any recommendation between the two, or another species?

IIRC my cousins had a few leopard geckos at some point, among other things. Always heard about how great they are as a pet since they're pretty easy.

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I liked our crested gecko. They are hilarious when they jump. Easy to feed with non gross food, and fun to supplement with a couple bugs to watch them "hunt."

I've never had a leo but known people who did and liked them. They have cute little faces.

And re: Dubias, I'm not afraid of them escaping, I'm just afraid of them! It's dumb as hell but some bugs make me run away screaming and roaches fit in that category. I can thaw rodents, hook worms and leeches for fishing, have gross worms in my fridge or crickets on the loose in my house but roaches cross the line.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Invader Zym posted:

I keep cresties. I'd encourage you to go for leapords instead. Not that Cresties aren't great - they are - but if they get scared they will drop their tail, and it doesn't grow back. While that's not actually harmful to them long-run (most crested geckos in the wild are missing their tails), it's pretty unpleasant when it happens, and it makes you as an owner feel terrible when you know it's your fault.

Either way, though, you should understand that these lizards will, unless something unfortunate happens, still be alive when your daughter is graduating from college. If you're just experimenting with small pets, something less long-lived might be a better starter animal - perhaps a small rodent?

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Either way, though, you should understand that these lizards will, unless something unfortunate happens, still be alive when your daughter is graduating from college. If you're just experimenting with small pets, something less long-lived might be a better starter animal - perhaps a small rodent?

Zym, you know your daughter better than people on the internet do. I convinced my parents to get me my late ball python and I happily kept her until the day she died 18 years later. But I also had to re-home my bird 10 years into his care, which had requirements that I unfortunately couldn't keep while maintaining a full time job. The difference between the snake and the bird was that Sparky did not require me dedicating half of my day for her care, while Ivan did. Of the range of critters she is interested in, I'd go for whatever species is simultaneously durable and easy to care for. It also helps if you feel comfortable taking care of it if your daughter decides to change her mind later, as some children do.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If you want to avoid it living until college, you can probably adopt an older one without too much effort.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I've been wanting to get a snake for a while. I've babysat my friend's cornsnake and handled corns and balls before but I've never owned a snake. I've pretty much been the sole caretaker for the bearded dragon at my work for the last 2 years so I'm not too new to reptiles in general. However, he is the most calm beardie ever and the whole staff is afraid of him for some reason even though he never puffs up or bites or does anything, really. So basically, I have experience with easy reptiles that are super chill.

I'm gonna admit I want a hognose snake because they are derpy-looking as gently caress. Are they ok for a first snake? I know about the rear fangs, musking, etc. But I don't want to gently caress it up just because I wanted a derpy looking snake. Thoughts?

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Make sure they're not illegal in your state.

Also thanks for reminding me to apply for the permit to keep Hognoses in Illinois so I can hopefully be approved for Tinley Park in October.

Cless Alvein fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 14, 2017

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

All species have their relatively chill and total dick individuals. I would go to a breeder and let them know you are looking for more of a pet. Or go to a local reptile expo and handle the snake before you buy.

I've never had a hognose but they are super adorable.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

Introducing Lily to Elmore. Still trying to teach her that he is not a snack.

Cless Alvein
May 25, 2007
Bloopity Bloo
Since there is a decent crossover of people, anybody know a good place for Scorpions and Tarantulas or am I stuck searching through arachnoboards and what little is on faundaclassified?

Wanna get my first T. Thinking either Pink Toe, Mexican Red Knee or preferably a Greenbottle Blue.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Cless Alvein posted:

Since there is a decent crossover of people, anybody know a good place for Scorpions and Tarantulas or am I stuck searching through arachnoboards and what little is on faundaclassified?

Wanna get my first T. Thinking either Pink Toe, Mexican Red Knee or preferably a Greenbottle Blue.

As much as I'm loathe to admit, AB is a good source for private breeders. You could also check the various arachnid groups on facebook.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Cless Alvein posted:

I don't know if you're in the STL area, but their Herp/whatever show used to have some really cool breeders. If you're not and I'm up there at some point soon I'll check it out for you if you want.

E:sp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Cless Alvein posted:

When I was working on a spider-related research project this guy and his extremely 1991 website was the only place I could find what I needed for sale. I got the impression that my order would have involved him wandering around the Everglades with a net catching spiders and this is exactly the life he wanted to be living. The project was (sadly) spiked before I ordered any spiders but he stocks all three of the things you're interested in, so consider hitting him up.