Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

aldantefax posted:

I feel like training mode in this game is very useful for drilling punishes. If I had to structure some actual time to practice stuff, I'd probably prioritize it something like this for getting familiar with a character:

- movement drills (effective sidestepping, backdashes, etc)
- effective defense and basic punishes
- what do your top 15 moves do
- what do all your other moves do that seem important (technical movement? screw? fastest pokes?)
- combo copying from others from your basic punishes
- combo structuring by yourself (understanding combo syntax, when to screw based on copied combos, etc)
- application of basic combos by themselves
- application of basic combos from punishes
- application of combos from movement and punishes

I think from anecdotal data a lot of people get hung up on doing combo training first and they lose sight of all the other stuff. Movement and punishes appear to be highly rewarding more so than esoteric character knowledge at the foundation level. Aris goes into the portion about punishes in a recent video capture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmVZTlT48Eg

I read the past couple of pages of discussion about not learning from fighting someone with a wide skill gap. It's been said already where when nothing appears to work, getting small, consistent victories are what counts.

Now ramble time...

For those people who are saying that replays/system tutorials/etc. not being in is a shortcoming, sure, but specifically for replays: PC has a whole host of recording options and so does PS4 (I assume Xbox does too). If your computer can run Tekken 7, it can run a recording program. Graphics cards come with built-in capture devices now (Shadowplay, whatever AMD does), as well as software-level things (OBS, Xsplit, Camtasia).

If you want to get serious about analyzing your stuff post-match and you're not in a long set against someone you can get feedback from, then use every tool at your disposal and don't get caught in a logical trap of feeling like you don't know what to do. Find something to do. Your opponent, this thread, the game, and anybody other than you in this galaxy, none of them are under an obligation to teach you anything. Someone with a better foundation who has been playing the game for 6, 8, 10 years can just get by doing only one thing if they feel like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYD6OICOWaA

That doesn't excuse condescending behavior or lack of fundamental teaching for a game that has 14k concurrent users every day for a week, but it is what it is.

Finding the right questions to ask is difficult. But, for Tekken, once you understand in greater detail the language of the system, then you can start finding the answers for it. Being new/total beginner can only be an excuse for so long.

If you're trying to "learn in the moment", then consider training mode instead and long sets with people you can communicate with until your foundation is stronger. Then go try ranked again if you like or start actively hunting people who are better than you. Much better than you. See what your feeling is after you've had more than two weeks of this.

Why would i fill my ps4 hdd with huge video files? namco could have just logged a match's inputs like tons of other recent games so they could be played back in engine easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
Tekken 7 is weird

So as a new player the best new player advice I can give to others like me is: learn basic punishes and movement, sure, but learn one mega-combo, gently caress it. Even fish for it! And you'll learn really fast what good tools are for starting mega-combos and what aren't good tools for starting mega-combos. Like, I've been on a tear with Claudio in Ranked because people do not know the range of u/f+4 at all and it leads to a 20% combo and free Starburst every time. Whereas if you just copy stuff you see in the movelist, you might think u/f+3 with Lars is a good way to begin combos. It is not! Not in a vacuum anyway, not in my bad new player experience. Like, Claudio u/f+4 can be used more freely and seems to scoop from farther away and can't be ducked and blah blah.

I don't know if it is very optimized, but the move list sample combo for Claudio off of u/f+4 is currently wrecking everyone in bad tier play: u/f+4, f+3, f,f+4, b+3, f+2, b+4,2
And it's very easy to do to boot, and once you have Starburst up you pretty much get a ton more damage for free? In my own practice I think you can sidestep the second hit of Claudio's d/b+1+2 but I know you cannot block it; that said, nobody ever tries to step it, so you get Starburst and now immediately get a free unblockable against bads. Fun!

Against not-bads you get to create some fun times where they have to guess if you're going to commit to burning your Starburst or not, especially on neat stuff like f+1+2 or d+2 or b+4,3

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

guts and bolts posted:

Tekken 7 is weird

So as a new player the best new player advice I can give to others like me is: learn basic punishes and movement, sure, but learn one mega-combo, gently caress it. Even fish for it! And you'll learn really fast what good tools are for starting mega-combos and what aren't good tools for starting mega-combos. Like, I've been on a tear with Claudio in Ranked because people do not know the range of u/f+4 at all and it leads to a 20% combo and free Starburst every time. Whereas if you just copy stuff you see in the movelist, you might think u/f+3 with Lars is a good way to begin combos. It is not! Not in a vacuum anyway, not in my bad new player experience. Like, Claudio u/f+4 can be used more freely and seems to scoop from farther away and can't be ducked and blah blah.

I don't know if it is very optimized, but the move list sample combo for Claudio off of u/f+4 is currently wrecking everyone in bad tier play: u/f+4, f+3, f,f+4, b+3, f+2, b+4,2
And it's very easy to do to boot, and once you have Starburst up you pretty much get a ton more damage for free? In my own practice I think you can sidestep the second hit of Claudio's d/b+1+2 but I know you cannot block it; that said, nobody ever tries to step it, so you get Starburst and now immediately get a free unblockable against bads. Fun!

Against not-bads you get to create some fun times where they have to guess if you're going to commit to burning your Starburst or not, especially on neat stuff like f+1+2 or d+2 or b+4,3

d+1, 2 is REAL good with starburst, they either don't know about the follow up after the initial d+1 and get bopped, or they dont realize they're negative after blocking the 2 then get hop kicked.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'

Real hurthling! posted:

Why would i fill my ps4 hdd with huge video files? namco could have just logged a match's inputs like tons of other recent games so they could be played back in engine easily.

I must be misunderstanding. "Why would I store reference data for myself? Namco should have implemented input logging and playback." From what I understand, PS4 shadow records footage anyway, so the last user-specifiable timeframe of play is reserved hard drive space. You could then upload the video to somewhere and delete the local file. If you don't want to use your storage space at all for some reason, any streaming service can optionally record footage if you broadcast to it with recording turned on. You could broadcast and then archive it from your stream, even if you are the only viewer.

Asking for a developer to implement something that was not in game design spec, while not unreasonable, is not expected to be forthcoming. Placing it in the context of this thread as a reply to my post is disingenuous - can I do something about adding replay logging to your copy of the game, or anybody else's? I have access to the same tools you do, and provided suggestions to work around the limitations that are put forth.

There have not been any announcements about beefing up training mode, adding replays, or adding a tutorial beyond what is available. As far as I know and expect, the game as delivered is the game I will expect to be playing in all aspects until civilization turns into dust.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Wow sounds so easy but Its better just to suck at tekken and get better at guilty gear where match recordings are automatic and require no work imo

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
http://toolassisted.github.io/SFV/

The SFV fast loading mod guy made something similar for Tekken 7. I've been using it for about an hour in SP stuff, going between stages in practice and doing treasure battle, seems like a noticeable but relatively minor difference. I imagine for it to make a difference in MP both players will have to be using it, so YMMV!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I get wrecked by Eddies and Chloes. I guess I need to go through them in training mode.

But what is a good strategy against them? Should I go for low parrys or just block everything and attack? Sidestepping seems to be an exercise in futility.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
Chloe's spin that scrubs spam is 2 hits low and then switches to mid. Keep blocking until she's obviously vulnerable and don't try to interrupt it.
Eddie is a more complicated matter, and there are no shortcuts to learning his pressure. I'm still free to Law and Howarang players myself, so I get not understanding a playstyle.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I wish this game had a replay function that included the input so that I could see where I screwed up execution. Also so I don't have to go through the entire movelist of a character to find the particular move that tripped me up.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The Gorp posted:

Chloe's spin that scrubs spam is 2 hits low and then switches to mid. Keep blocking until she's obviously vulnerable and don't try to interrupt it.
Eddie is a more complicated matter, and there are no shortcuts to learning his pressure. I'm still free to Law and Howarang players myself, so I get not understanding a playstyle.

Thanks I'll give it another go this evening. You seem to gain levels pretty quickly for some reason. I've lost more than I've won but I'm still 1st Dan.

By the way does Asuka have a good attack against downed opponents? I usually go for a df3 but that only works against beginners who never roll to the side.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jun 11, 2017

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chloe capo low that scrubs (me) use a lot actually has two variants, one that is two sets of low hits that no one ever uses and the more popular L, L, L - > M, M, L

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Renoistic posted:

Thanks I'll give it another go this evening. You seem to gain levels pretty quickly for some reason. I've lost more than I've won but I'm still 1st Dan.

By the way does Asuka have a good attack against downed opponents? I usually go for a df3 but that only works against beginners who never roll to the side.

I haven't played her much in T7, but before White Heron strings were the go to (1+4).

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Medullah posted:

I haven't played her much in T7, but before White Heron strings were the go to (1+4).

Huh, thanks I'll give it a go.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

interrodactyl posted:

I have some advice to make it less overwhelming. Focus on accomplishing one thing at a time. Don't judge your progress by wins.

Let's say you keep getting launched. Try to play every match without getting launched. Even if you lose, as long as you didn't get launched, count that as a win in your book.

If you got launched, pay attention to what caused that. Take that specific scenario and practice against it in training mode. Play a bunch more matches and don't get launched. Did you stop getting launched for the next 5 matches? Congrats. Pick another thing that caused you to lose in those matches even when you didn't get launched.

Maybe next it's to block and punish a specific low move from a character that keeps blowing you up. Grind it out in training mode, and then ask for matches from people who play that character.

This will seem like a very slow way to learn, but it's about teaching yourself the mindset of how to get your rear end beat while learning how to get better.

You can use this method to identify why you lose, develop a plan to stop losing to that, and then execute a practice plan that lets you stop losing to whatever it is.

As you get better, you will be able to do this faster and faster, to the point that you can adapt quickly within matches. This will help you develop a combination of familiarity with situations from playing, having the understanding of how to learn within a match situation, and the execution to pull it off.

This is an A+ post. I'm going to be using the poo poo out of this advice. Thanks for writing it.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Renoistic posted:

I get wrecked by Eddies and Chloes. I guess I need to go through them in training mode.

But what is a good strategy against them? Should I go for low parrys or just block everything and attack? Sidestepping seems to be an exercise in futility.

If they aren't good (most of them aren't), do a couple fast backdashes to get out of range of their blender poo poo, then move in with something that has long startup but long reach and hits duckers. (For Asuka, think stuff like f+2.) A lot of these players barely get above the level of mashing kicks, so they'll continue doing flares and poo poo when you're not even in range, and you can mop up for free.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Renoistic posted:

just pick akuma and jump fireball/shoryuken a bunch so you don't have to deal with it

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Completely random and worthless comment: I did the mini-story things and I came to the conclusion there's like one good foreign VA in T7 and it's whoever did Miguel.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

I have no idea what I am doing in almost any given situation.
Ok, I have to ask: What the hell is the deal with fighting the bears?

I mean, they're obviously not good, but there is some nonsense in there.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Here's Paul's punishment guide in case anyone wants it.

Standing
i10 - f+1,2
i12 - b+1,2 ; d+1+2
i14 - b+3
i15 - d/f+2 ; u/f+3,4 ; u/f+4
i16 - f,f+3,4 ; f,f+2:1
i19 - qcf+1

While Standing
i10 - ws+1 ; d/b+1
i11 - ws+4
i13 - ws+3,2
i14 - FC d/f+2:1
i15 - u/f+3,4 ; u/f+4
i16 - ws+2

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

aldantefax posted:

I must be misunderstanding. "Why would I store reference data for myself? Namco should have implemented input logging and playback." From what I understand, PS4 shadow records footage anyway, so the last user-specifiable timeframe of play is reserved hard drive space. You could then upload the video to somewhere and delete the local file. If you don't want to use your storage space at all for some reason, any streaming service can optionally record footage if you broadcast to it with recording turned on. You could broadcast and then archive it from your stream, even if you are the only viewer.

Asking for a developer to implement something that was not in game design spec, while not unreasonable, is not expected to be forthcoming. Placing it in the context of this thread as a reply to my post is disingenuous - can I do something about adding replay logging to your copy of the game, or anybody else's? I have access to the same tools you do, and provided suggestions to work around the limitations that are put forth.

There have not been any announcements about beefing up training mode, adding replays, or adding a tutorial beyond what is available. As far as I know and expect, the game as delivered is the game I will expect to be playing in all aspects until civilization turns into dust.

Just an FYI you're still allowed to play Tekken 7 even if you admit that several parts of the game are hosed up.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
All in all, I don't think Rage Arts added anything good. If they weren't armoured, then I'd be cool as they'd be great things to combo into, but as it stands, they're just 'now you have to plan for them hitting one on any startup or you're gonna lose 30-40%' They basically encourage defensive play massively. Fine, they die if they whiff or get blocked (although some randomly have HUGE knockback) but they're on 10% anyway, so why not?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shockeh posted:

All in all, I don't think Rage Arts added anything good. If they weren't armoured, then I'd be cool as they'd be great things to combo into, but as it stands, they're just 'now you have to plan for them hitting one on any startup or you're gonna lose 30-40%' They basically encourage defensive play massively. Fine, they die if they whiff or get blocked (although some randomly have HUGE knockback) but they're on 10% anyway, so why not?

Agree. Armor makes them too powerful imo

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Yeah, it's already easy enough to combo into most of them with a basic juggle, but the combination of them having super armor, doing more damage the lower their health, and being able to keybind them is a bit TOO newbie friendly.

Drop the super armor and/or key binding and they become a bit less safe but still valuable.

Plus I don't see much benefit in using a rage drive over the art, at this point. Nina's is a good "back the gently caress off me" drive, but when I can just do D,DF+4 or DB+3+4 and go into her Rage Art I don't see the value in using it.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Brosnan posted:

Here's Paul's punishment guide in case anyone wants it.

Standing
i10 - f+1,2
i12 - b+1,2 ; d+1+2
i14 - b+3
i15 - d/f+2 ; u/f+3,4 ; u/f+4
i16 - f,f+3,4 ; f,f+2:1
i19 - qcf+1

While Standing
i10 - ws+1 ; d/b+1
i11 - ws+4
i13 - ws+3,2
i14 - FC d/f+2:1
i15 - u/f+3,4 ; u/f+4
i16 - ws+2

Should probably add qcf+2 to the list of standing 15f punishers. Also I'm curious about the f+1,2, is the f there just for free extra range or does it fill some other purpose?

Also I know TZ is listed in the OP but this Paul thread is really good, it's got pretty much everything you could want for Paul information.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Brosnan posted:

If they aren't good (most of them aren't), do a couple fast backdashes to get out of range of their blender poo poo, then move in with something that has long startup but long reach and hits duckers. (For Asuka, think stuff like f+2.) A lot of these players barely get above the level of mashing kicks, so they'll continue doing flares and poo poo when you're not even in range, and you can mop up for free.

I dunno about Eddy but Chloe is a pretty decent punch game most Chloe players ignore. Her B1+2 has armor after the startup, she can string together a 2, 3, 4 for a M - L - L and she has a decent reach on her F1+2. The problem with all of those options is, much like most of Chloe's movelist, they're super duper unsafe and not good for punishing at all

But yeah keep your distance from most chloe players, let them go into some sort of dance animation and then kick them as hard as you can

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
https://twitter.com/LauraisLate/status/873330192382603265

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.

This makes me want to main Bob.

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

Shockeh posted:

I've started running into people who are using Rage Drives properly and it makes me earnestly wish they were just turtling up and using Rage Art. Then you can use a WR2 or similar to force a good position, maybe fake them out with a run at them and stop (always hilarious).

A lot of the Rage Drives seem to force favorable situations which can then lead into full combos.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Man, people aren't kidding when they say this game feels painful to try and become decent at. I get overwhelmed so easily playing online, it's just demoralizing. And knowing that I have to learn so much about every character just to even start to be competent is a bit too daunting.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Man, people aren't kidding when they say this game feels painful to try and become decent at. I get overwhelmed so easily playing online, it's just demoralizing. And knowing that I have to learn so much about every character just to even start to be competent is a bit too daunting.

You're not being very heroic, Yoshimitsu. :colbert:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

It's actually funny that this is the first Tekken where Tekken Yoshimitsu looks cooler than Soul Calibur Yoshimitsu.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Man, the Bandai Namco Fight Channel has a lot of videos on it. I've just been watching a lot of tournament top 8s, even if they're not for my main it's easier to see other characters' gameplans now that I've put a few hours into the game myself, eventually I'll get the basics of all these matchups down.

Though I did see one Lili take off half a lifebar by just doing a low stomp five times in a row, if I were to do that I would feel dumb but at that high level there must be layers and layers of mindgames going on. Also that same Lili sidestep-whiff punished a deathfist, it looked so cool. One day...

RossCo
Dec 30, 2012

Wifi Hwoarang is S tier.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

In every fighting game I could never use the coolest looking guys. That is the burden of being a scrub babby.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Night Blade posted:

In every fighting game I could never use the coolest looking guys. That is the burden of being a scrub babby.

kazumi is super easy

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dias posted:

kazumi is super easy

I just wish her cool tiger buttons weren't 1+4 and 2+3 :negative:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Your Computer posted:

I just wish her cool tiger buttons weren't 1+4 and 2+3 :negative:

Bind em :bustem:

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Finally got back from a trip last week and my brother was in town so we played some tekken on PC. It recognized both my sticks just fine. He picked Eddie and kicked my rear end like we were 12 agian and it was T3 agian because I forgot you had to block mids high in tekken or whatever. I finally got pissed off and just picked Akuma and made him cry about fireballs because I actually knew his moves.

Good game maybe, will learn a character tommrow.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I wish I had more buttons to bind to, because having 1+2 and 3+4 on single buttons makes for some ridiculously good shortcuts for other characters :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Medullah posted:

Yeah, it's already easy enough to combo into most of them with a basic juggle, but the combination of them having super armor, doing more damage the lower their health, and being able to keybind them is a bit TOO newbie friendly.

Drop the super armor and/or key binding and they become a bit less safe but still valuable.

Plus I don't see much benefit in using a rage drive over the art, at this point. Nina's is a good "back the gently caress off me" drive, but when I can just do D,DF+4 or DB+3+4 and go into her Rage Art I don't see the value in using it.

Also speaking as a button mashing newbie, who I assume this is supposed to appeal to, they just feel lame. In newbie vs newbie it is pretty easy to have a rage art land by mashing the button when you see your opponent attack. As newbies we are unlikely to catch each other in long combos which can blow through rage mode and kill the opponent, so people stay in rage much longer. In fact the only way a newbie can safely kill their opponent and deny them rage is to hit them with a rage art. This makes being the first person to hit rage mode highly rewarding, so ironically you want to be losing any close matches so that you can just rage art for the win. It feels like they wanted to make something for newbies, but totally forgot that newbies are also playing against other newbies and ended up with something that feels horrendously cheap.

I'm also getting sick of canned fighting game animation attacks (e.g. x-rays) which are cool once and then get tedious, but that may just be me.