Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I buy any lancia I can. Subaru is a backup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Some weirdo out there plays exclusively with the Lancer Evo.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Having to go into options to switch between manual stick and sequential is lame.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Reddit has practically turned on the game. It's a little absurd how quick they are to disown something. Sucks for them that they suck at tuning. A lot of their complaints are easily fixed by setup changes. Game is super fun

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I'll enjoy playing this bad game for a time

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Same

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Looooving the kit cars atm, the Peugeot is fun as hell to tear around Greece.

Also for the little details, I actually had my coms system with my co-driver start playing up, having interference and cutting out once or twice. And on another stage my brakes started acting weird and grinding, god drat I love this game.

Though, i will ask wtf I'm doing/how do i tune 4wd cars so that they dont have a poo poo-ton of lift-off oversteer.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Why would you want to do such a thing? Lift off oversteer is your friend.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Left foot brake. Lift off oversteer is when the weight of the car suddenly shifts off the rear tires to the front.

So yea brake while easing off the gas to keep the weight shift controllable.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Intercom failure in a snowstorm kinda blows!

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus

The 037 is still great. Wish this was Sweden or Spain and i might have done better.

There are only about 50 finishers though, so looks better than it is.Looks like the salty babies are true to their word of not playing at least.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Humbug posted:

The 037 is still great.

my times were terrible in that car but it was my favorite thing to drive in DR when doing no restart runs

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Daily is easy is hell today

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

So what sim/aracde/realism whatever mode y'all using

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Sim handling, all assists off except 1 notch of ABS

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

SIM handling all assists off

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

cowboy elvis posted:

Sim handling, all assists off except 1 notch of ABS

This, and the game is good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Thanks all, finally gonna get around to popping this game in this afternoon. Had a blast with Dirt 3, sans gymkhana

I'm surprised I'm reading anything bad at all though 🤔 just not sure what people even want.

Still pissed about the lack of race rewind button :(

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I'm surprised I'm reading anything bad at all though 🤔 just not sure what people even want.

People want more Dirt Rally, and who can blame them.

I finally got around to trying Dirt 4 out last night, seems pretty good. I figured I'd break out the wheel for it, and remembered that I'm terrible with a wheel. Doesn't help that it recognizes my old rear end wheel wrong and the force feedback doesn't work. Still playing with sim handling and all assists off, but put the AI on easy babby mode until I can get to grips with the wheel. Kinda tempting to just get back into the groove with a controller like I'm used to, but I wanna git gud with a wheel.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

idk DR was too bare bones for me I guess :shrug:

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

idk DR was too bare bones for me I guess :shrug:

I prefer the bare-bonesness :) I don't want to run a team or hire engineers or paint liveries... I want to drive rally cars. D4 is fun and I like the handling a bit better, but I went back to DR last night for a minute and instantly lost two hours.

I think I'll keep both installed for now though. They're fun in different ways.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
People got more DR. They're conflating realism for difficulty, which is silly.

Like if the complaints about too much lateral grip centered around sliding=fun then that would be understandable. Fishtailing is super fun.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

What's the general consensus on the WRC games, like 5 or 6? Even worth trying or just pale clones at this point?

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If you can get them for cheap they weren't terrible. Nothing like DIRTs though

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

cowboy elvis posted:

Sorry I pretty much exclusively play with all the Imprezas. I am a simple man.

Let's be friends.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
WRC 6 is alright. Finding a copy for 20ish bucks isn't the worst expenditure of money.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
The AI for the up to 2000cc 4wd cars is loving absurd on tough, the first place time is consistently equivalent to like the top 40-50ish ranked times on the leaderboard, if not higher, and that's not even the hardest difficulty.

e: not on all stages, I guess. I just had a (current) top 250 time be enough for me to squeeze first.

hopterque fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 11, 2017

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I did the kit car weekly and drove like gram gram with default setup and got tier 1, so it appears the aliens haven't shown up yet.

The game did a massive troll with dirtfish though, I for sure thought gymkana was coming back.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Is the campaign ai pretty easy? I'm on the second to highest difficulty level and placing first/second is trivial. I don't remember being this good in Dirt Rally.

Probably something to do with the higher grip sliders Codemasters worked around with.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I never played DR so I'm missing the "yea this is good but DR is better" elements. I'm enjoying it, I like team manager stuff and the ai is forgiving enough for my poo poo driving to not be a total fuckshow. I'm not normally a driving game dude, but I like rally stuff a lot.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I don't think Dirt Rally is better.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

With the caveat of "I've never actually driven a rally car in real life", I went back and forth between DR and D4 tonight for a few hours and the feeling D4 is taking it for me. I think I prefer it at this point, but will be keeping both installed for the time being.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

cowboy elvis posted:

Is the campaign ai pretty easy? I'm on the second to highest difficulty level and placing first/second is trivial. I don't remember being this good in Dirt Rally.

Probably something to do with the higher grip sliders Codemasters worked around with.

It's pretty easy at first but see my previous post about the AI pulling insane finishes out of its rear end.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Norns posted:

Daily is easy is hell today

Codies heard you say this and made the Daily today the E30, at night, in heavy rain, in Wales, on a 9 mile stage. The top time so far is a 9:26 and I put in an 11:06 which was literally as fast as I dared go.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

Sometimes Ill do a clean stage and be 10+ seconds behind the tough AI but be in the top 20-50 on the leader-board. Sometimes Ill spin off and need to recover and still beat the AI by 10+ seconds. I think it just adjusts times to try and keep the event competitive overall. The AI is very weird but similar things used to happen in dirt rally too.

Much bigger complaint is that no matter what time I do, or how high I am on the leaderboard it always feels like I'm going so slow, despite working my rear end off. Either the sense of speed isn't there or the cars are slow as poo poo, I rarely get that "scary fast" feeling like I did in DR and I really miss that.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Still pissed about the lack of race rewind button :(

Me too a little bit, mainly as a way to quickly go back and watch something rather than waiting for the full replay at the end.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Qmass posted:

Sometimes Ill do a clean stage and be 10+ seconds behind the tough AI but be in the top 20-50 on the leader-board. Sometimes Ill spin off and need to recover and still beat the AI by 10+ seconds. I think it just adjusts times to try and keep the event competitive overall. The AI is very weird but similar things used to happen in dirt rally too.

Much bigger complaint is that no matter what time I do, or how high I am on the leaderboard it always feels like I'm going so slow, despite working my rear end off. Either the sense of speed isn't there or the cars are slow as poo poo, I rarely get that "scary fast" feeling like I did in DR and I really miss that.

What cars are you driving, because the 2liters and other faster poo poo is pretty scary fast. Group B especially/obviously.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

njsykora posted:

Codies heard you say this and made the Daily today the E30, at night, in heavy rain, in Wales, on a 9 mile stage. The top time so far is a 9:26 and I put in an 11:06 which was literally as fast as I dared go.

Owch

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH

njsykora posted:

11:25 here. Holy God today was harrowing. Not fun, yet glad I managed to make it to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Really enjoying Dirt 4 so far but god drat some of the pace note timing is really off. It seems to go all over the place which is a little frustrating.

I do really enjoy managing my team and decorating the cars and getting sponsors though, that's a lot of fun. :3:

• Locked thread