Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
literally real IRL
Apr 28, 2008
I get the feeling this show would be much better as a movie instead of a full series. It's like they're trying to drag out the story to fill time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

literally real IRL posted:

I get the feeling this show would be much better as a movie instead of a full series. It's like they're trying to drag out the story to fill time.

Like I said in the season thread, it feels like Hiroe came up with a idea for a novel series but his publisher decided to just go straight to the anime adaption.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Clarste posted:

The impression I got from her dialog was that it wasn't specifically due to her powers, just that when the apocalypse she's trying to cause occurs, she'll be the first one to go because she's the weakest link in reality at the moment. So her plan is to hold off on causing any more reality distortions until she can make a huge push all at once. Like how when a faultline builds up a lot of tension, the next earthquake is a lot larger.

I don't think it works like that, I think the idea is that if she makes a push that's way too hard all at once instead of letting it all build up she'll be ejected. Like a virus that gives you a very bad fever for a few days but your immune system eventually overcomes it, versus a chronic disease that is not as bad in the short term but which eventually kills you.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Kanos posted:

Magane is very quickly becoming super tiresome for me because her power is entirely reliant on the writing making people behave incredibly stupidly. It working on random innocents who don't know what she is makes sense, but it working in the middle of battle is a bit of a stretch, and it working more than once in the same fight against the same person is pretty much ridiculous, especially when that person was just informed about how her power works and has previously been written to be observant.

It's not going to happen, but it would be amusing if Yuuya wasn't bullshitting when he said his Stand was a curse and he actually let it happen because that power really does have a massive downside and not just in a bullshit "dark curse that basically just means being awesome" way. Would be quite clever too as it happened just after Magane admitted that she hadn't read his manga. Unlikely though, that's require better writing than this show has shown so far.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I don't know, that's the exactly the type of thing I could see this show doing with a lot less foreshadowing.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

It's not going to happen, but it would be amusing if Yuuya wasn't bullshitting when he said his Stand was a curse and he actually let it happen because that power really does have a massive downside and not just in a bullshit "dark curse that basically just means being awesome" way. Would be quite clever too as it happened just after Magane admitted that she hadn't read his manga. Unlikely though, that's require better writing than this show has shown so far.

This would also be cool/good because I'd like to see Magane react to someone actually outwitting her.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I'm glad that tweet-form wore off as soon as Altair stopped causing trouble and bounced. That suggests that it mostly worked because reality was weakening and the characters were more malleable rather than because the author wished really hard for his waifu to not die. Which nicely shows that what Meteora was blabbing about several episodes ago about Altair's master plan is true and also avoids falling into a plot hole wrt Selesia not being affected by her own LNs.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I like the way this show is making the characters all look like idiots in their own way. It goes to show why having only main characters can be a clusterfuck. You gotta have sidekicks and supporting characters to make a story.

Sure things may sometimes be frustrating to watch, and of course I found myself frustrated at times, but I couldn't stay frustrated because everything is happening within the show's own rules, so really it was only me being frustrated at my own expectations. I think it's kinda neat this show is able to pull that off, despite it's weak writing.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Well, Meteora is a supporting character in her game. But yeah anime characters acting rashly and stupidly is about as real as it gets.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Selesia is probably fine.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

I like the way this show is making the characters all look like idiots in their own way. It goes to show why having only main characters can be a clusterfuck. You gotta have sidekicks and supporting characters to make a story.

Main characters are sometimes quite clever, though. Even ignoring operator types like the Major where "exceedingly competent" is a core trait, there are plenty of characters like Satou Kazuma, who has a running gag where, apart from the baggage of his psychotic allies, he cleans house.

Moreover, there's plenty of cases where a main in one story can be a sidekick in another. With Konosuba, you got Megumin's spinoff novels. Or you can look at Planetes, where Ai goes from supporting cast in the manga to the main POV for the first leg of the anime, and where you've got Fee, who's able to hold the spotlight with ease whenever it's her story, but who's mostly in the background.

Easy enough to do the same with protagonists from different genres. A cyberpunk detective is going to hold the center stage for a murder mystery, with a magical girl providing supporting duties as she learns how cruel the world is, but he's not going to be able to hold his own nearly so well when it turns into a flying laser fight. Ensemble casts, you know? Everyone plays support for everyone else.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

chiasaur11 posted:

Counterargument: Konosuba.

(Admittedly, Kazuma would have sorted out the whole mess in a matter of minutes, because Kazuma is actually invaluable in a crisis. It's everywhere else he fucks up.)

Despite being a comedy, Konosuba still has better drama than this show.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i liked this episode and i'm glad Magane made a new friend :shobon:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

i liked this episode and i'm glad Magane made a new friend :shobon:

I'm glad she's a jojo now and understands her duty to strike poses

Also it's me, I'm the person who likes this show a lot and have enjoyed it even through the long talking slogs since I didnt start watching until 8 was already out and 9 and 10 have both been quite good.

Also I think the tweet worked only because at that moment that's what everyone viewed Selesia as, but then after a bit the Twitter buzz wore down and her way more popular form came out. Short of an OVA I don't know how they'd retrigger it for longer.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 14, 2017

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In addition to all the other criticisms that have been leveled at this show here, it has not built up nearly the faith capital to have a character make a "this plot is loving stupid so I'm going to fight it" speech.

How the hell is this going to stretch out for another 15 episodes?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Caphi posted:

How the hell is this going to stretch out for another 15 episodes?

By introducing a bunch of new characters, as confirmed in this interview
http://recreators.tv/special/interview/cast_interview_02.html

quote:

──では最後に、村川さんの考える第10話以降の見どころや、今後の展開への期待をうかがえたら。

村川:そうですね……やはり真鍳が気になりますよね。まみかの死をきっかけにアリスちゃんがかなり翻弄されていますけど、これからも強敵として、いろんなキャラクターの前に立ちはだかるんじゃないかなと。そこがどうなるのかは、この作品のひとつの見どころかなと思います。あと、これからも実はまだまだたくさんの新キャラが登場するんですが、かなり濃ゆいキャラがいるみたいなんです! 

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Tamba posted:

Oh no. This show is a complete trainwreck.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh jeeze, I thought maybe this show would be a forgettable 12 episode trainwreck, but this... this is something horrible. I can't imagine how the plot will even stand up to having more people shoved into it because the plot is barely there as it is.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kwyndig posted:

Oh jeeze, I thought maybe this show would be a forgettable 12 episode trainwreck, but this... this is something horrible. I can't imagine how the plot will even stand up to having more people shoved into it because the plot is barely there as it is.

Are shows this short ever cancelled mid-season? I could see that happening here if there is precedent.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

This may very well turn out to be the most disappointing anime of the decade. :livintrope:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Tamba posted:

Are they going to get half the current cast killed to make room, or will this just make the show even more consumed by an idiot katamari of convenience and misunderstandings?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Caphi posted:

Are they going to get half the current cast killed to make room, or will this just make the show even more consumed by an idiot katamari of convenience and misunderstandings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMH49ieL4es
*Play except at 1.5x speed, to surmise this clusterfuck*

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought the pacing was really really weird for a one cour show (like we know virtually nothing about old man trenchcoat still.) That explains it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Grouchio posted:

This may very well turn out to be the most disappointing anime of the decade. :livintrope:

That's still Berserk 2016. And even if it wasn't there'd be a bunch of poo poo in front for me like Valverave.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh jesus thanks for reminding me that I watched all of Valvrave. That was terrible beyond description.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

Oh jesus thanks for reminding me that I watched all of Valvrave. That was terrible beyond description.

At least it wasn't Guilty Crown. Now there was a show that had like, one good idea drowning in a sea of mediocrity.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Tamba posted:

... Yeah, my assessment that this show was crap and dropping it earlier on seems to have been correct. :geno:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kwyndig posted:

You're welcome, I'm here to help. :coffeepal:

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

i think adding an assload of characters can only make it better

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

As long as they can write semi-decent character interactions, more characters will be good. I was afraid that, thinking it was going to be a single-season series, characters would've been left underdeveloped (the only one to have a character arc so far is Mamika, and there's a couple that have barely had any screentime like mercenary man). So there being more episodes could turn out to be for the better. I don't necessarily have the confidence they'll be able to pull it off, but they have a chance to at least try.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

mabels big day posted:

That's what the writer of Bleach thought too.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What gets to me is that this show seems to be bad in a quite different way to the team's last project, Aldnoah. That at least had big twists and poo poo happening at a respectable rate - in particular, the fights had some weight to them, because even if the enemy was just some monster of the week, you could be mostly sure that someone wouldn't be coming out alive, and there was always a chance it would be someone important.

I suspect that this may be part of the reason for the cast expanding - they want room for people to start dying in significant numbers, whether they be old characters or new.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Nice to see this show running through an itemized list of things I was hoping it wouldn't do back around episode 3 when I still liked it.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

mabels big day posted:

I was kinda hoping we wouldn't just have the same 8 fiction characters so more new characters is cool with me

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
Bluh. This show keeps finding new and exciting ways to disappoint. I guess it was never interested in being what I wanted it to be, but for some reason I still haven't given up on it.

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
Re:creators is just an ad for the real show: the anime based on the novel where Magane is a character.

I'd watch that.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

YF-23 posted:

As long as they can write semi-decent character interactions, more characters will be good.

Can they, though? There is only one vague piece of evidence of this and, it turns out, only so one of them could be killed as a drama bomb.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Caphi posted:

Can they, though? There is only one vague piece of evidence of this and, it turns out, only so one of them could be killed as a drama bomb.

Also even if Mamika hadn't died (largely to justify Alice's dumb crusade for REVEEEEEEEEEEEEEENGE) there's only so much credit I can give to a character who basically just reads the cliff notes to Madoka Magica.

And I mean it's a good rendition of Madoka and all but if all they're gonna do is run through the same beats on fast forward without adding anything other than forced melodrama that's only gonna fly so far.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Also even if Mamika hadn't died (largely to justify Alice's dumb crusade for REVEEEEEEEEEEEEEENGE) there's only so much credit I can give to a character who basically just reads the cliff notes to Madoka Magica.

And I mean it's a good rendition of Madoka and all but if all they're gonna do is run through the same beats on fast forward without adding anything other than forced melodrama that's only gonna fly so far.

The really irritating thing was, if Mamika had lived, she'd have to have carved her own path. Madoka's arc ended in apotheosis, and that wouldn't work here. But instead, death.

I mean, there's all the angles just dangling there. Unlike most of the characters, Mamika explicitly comes from a softer world. Her creator already gave her what Alice wants for free. I don't think they met up, which could be interesting either as "I wanted to make something inspirational" or "Honestly? You were a paycheck". Plus, the net result of her trials was taking someone with the power and the will to help people, and putting her in a position where she had to re-evaluate her methods. Lots of room to maneuver there.

But no.

Dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Grouchio posted:

Remember when Fractale was supposed to save anime*?

*according to Yamakan, anyway

• Locked thread