Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Derek Dominoe posted:

Certain fields have exceptionally high opportunity costs, workloads, and stress. Lots of jobs have one or two of those, which makes a big difference. A high stress, high tempo job that only takes a year or two of training is a lot easier to walk away from than the one that takes $250-300k up front, 4 years of post graduate school, and 3-7 years of low paying 80-100 hr high stress weeks before you even start to recoup your costs (while still maintaining a high stress, high tempo environment with unique ethical obligations that put the job ahead of self and family).

I like being a doctor most of the time. I'm proud of what I do, and when I get to do things like humanitarian missions I'm reminded that it's still a noble profession underneath all of the political and financial muck in our system. But if I could convince 20yr old me that engineering would be just as satisfying, I'd get years of my life back.

I went into engineering after getting out of the Navy. Now I work with automation systems for infrastructure and industry. It's pretty satisfying to see Joe Q Public happy using the infrastructure I've helped design and commission, knowing that the work we do actually has a positive impact on the quality of life for a lot of people.

I didn't really think much on that part of my job before I actually started working, but it's probably just as important as the pay at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
poo poo. I might have to get a CAC again. Does Eglin suck? I've never been there but I've spent a lot of time in Dothan and Eglin's not far enough away from there for it not to suck.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Phanatic posted:

poo poo. I might have to get a CAC again. Does Eglin suck? I've never been there but I've spent a lot of time in Dothan and Eglin's not far enough away from there for it not to suck.

My union rep keeps thinking we need to use CAC cards for everything and​ it's like dawg we're civilians we don't even have these have you gone mad

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

Eglin is a bit of a jewel as far as bases go.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Phanatic posted:

I lived in the town right outside of it called Crestview. Stay the gently caress away. It's the Mos Eisley of Rednecks.

Destin is great. Go to Crab Island

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Zeris posted:

Under what category, then, do you file time spent posting on a dead internet forum?

:gay:

Realtalk:

It's a 16 year old habit I haven't quite broken, though I post very rarely except during leave. I'm pretty much down to a few GiP threads for both viewing and posting. I feel too old for Reddit and never got into any social media, and when my bookmarks finally dwindle to nothing I'll probably be done.

It's okay though. Real life is good and getting better. Sooner or later the last vestiges of my younger self will disappear and I'll be a pleasantly-demented old man that's 100% :dadjoke:

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Eglin is a bit of a jewel as far as bases go.

This. Like any other duty station, Eglin isn't perfect, but it's got to be in the top 5 CONUS AF bases. Probably #1 for my job since a lot of places like McChord aren't on the list and the Army is ruining SAMMC. Great weather, great beaches, calm warm water that's excellent for fishing and boating, plenty of outdoor activities, awesome seafood (I don't think you can find Amberjack anywhere else). If you're the type that needs a big city or metro area to be happy, then you'll hate it, but that goes for the vast majority of bases.

Forgot to add that if you have kids, Okaloosa County (Niceville in particular) has some of the best public schools in Florida.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

joat mon posted:

Any prior military experience? What do you want to do with your law degree?

No prior experience myself, but I have some family and friends that served, and they're either playing a really sick joke on me, or they honestly enjoyed/are enjoying their times in.

Regardless of whether I serve, I want to be a prosecutor.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

no dont!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cuck Card

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

Soulex posted:

**** Card

mods?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Namaste

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

thank u for your service

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Sorry I have to hear him yell it into the phone thirty times a day

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Faster Blaster posted:

No prior experience myself, but I have some family and friends that served, and they're either playing a really sick joke on me, or they honestly enjoyed/are enjoying their times in.

Regardless of whether I serve, I want to be a prosecutor.

See how you like the externship. If it doesn't leave you wondering how we're not all dead in a nuclear fireball yet, go for it.
You'll probably have fun. You'll probably get some prosecution time, hopefully enough to cure that pull-the-wings-off-flies itch you've got. You'll probably get some defense time and some "why did you give that stripper a general power of attorney"/let me do your taxes time. Hopefully you won't have to go to Montgomery in the summer.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Sorry I have to hear him yell it into the phone thirty times a day

well tell that dumb fucker saying cac card is redundant

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

new friend from school posted:

Just finished business school, accounting major with information systems minor. Currently doing a graduate cert in data analytics and having zero luck finding work. My strongest prospect is actually the VA, the most boring "accounting" job you can imagine for poo poo pay with amazing benefits.

Where in the world do you live? Get your CPA and get paid.

I know a bunch of accountants and one thing they're never hard up for is work. If you want me to put you in contact with someone let me know. I've taken a cut of referral bonuses before and I'll do it again, at bigger firms they're usually in the $10k range.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
I live about 30min outside Chicago. I am eligible to take the CPA exam, and it is my next priority; as soon as I finish this certificate program (end of next month), I'm starting CPA prep and I hope to get it all done before next summer. It doesn't look like you have PM. Please let me know how to get in touch with you.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Let me set up a fake email address so I can give you my real one. In the meantime, is staying in Chicago a must? I know some people at Discover. They have an office downtown and in Riverwoods.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
I live with my girlfriend, who's just starting a doctorate program. I would strongly prefer to stay for the next 3-4 years, but after that we both want to move elsewhere. That being said, I would definitely consider moving for a good offer.

In any case, Riverwoods is only 20min away from where we live now, so that would be great. I'll check back for that e-mail address. Thanks for your help, man!

new friend from school fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jun 9, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Fakeemailaddress5634@gmail.com

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Sent, thanks again!

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The other 5,533 are fake too.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Lol at whoever signed that account up for 'Erie Gay Newsletter'

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Faster Blaster
Feb 6, 2010

joat mon posted:

See how you like the externship. If it doesn't leave you wondering how we're not all dead in a nuclear fireball yet, go for it.
You'll probably have fun. You'll probably get some prosecution time, hopefully enough to cure that pull-the-wings-off-flies itch you've got. You'll probably get some defense time and some "why did you give that stripper a general power of attorney"/let me do your taxes time. Hopefully you won't have to go to Montgomery in the summer.

Thanks for the advice! I'm in gen law for the first half of the summer, which has meant mostly contract reviews, very boring stuff. I forgot to mention I have prior experience in a criminal defense firm (it's why I want to prosecute) so I'm not sure this wing-pulling instinct is going anywhere at this point.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Spotter's gonna hate life when the first round goes.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

evil_bunnY posted:

Spotter's gonna hate life when the first round goes.

guy has a saw a shotgun and a drop leg holster

that's a lot of poo poo to carry

edit: there's a second sniper rifle also

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Soon the spotter learns situational awareness.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Smiling Jack posted:

guy has a saw a shotgun and a drop leg holster

that's a lot of poo poo to carry

edit: there's a second sniper rifle also
That's not what I meant. That 50cal muzzle brake is going to give him a faceful of gas and gravel.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

that image reminds me of every FPS game that allows you to carry around two main weapons and a pistol

like the they went into their loadout screen and one dude decided to double up on sniper rifles so he had extra sniper ammo and the other dude was like uhh I dunno saw and shotgun lol

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
That's gotta be airsoft, right? Everything seems way to clean to be real.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Airsoft is real too...

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

evil_bunnY posted:

That's not what I meant. That 50cal muzzle brake is going to give him a faceful of gas and gravel.

yeah I know just pointing out the other weird poo poo

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'm the range coach that will walk by and step on the spotter's feet for some reason.

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
I just realized that I don't know a single SNCO who is still on their first marriage. This includes my own father.

I figure you have to have divorce papers to make the E-7 board.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
I know two, one doesn't have kids the other became a warrant. They must be the extreme outliers though

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We only have one who has been divorced. We're a real outlier.

new friend from school
May 19, 2008

by Azathoth
Real talk, I filed for divorce the month after I was selected for E6. Should have just stayed in lol

milk milk, have you heard anything back at all? I'm trying to work my other connections, but not much is materializing. Applied for a municipal payroll job that looked promising, but immediately got an email back saying I had submitted my application past deadline.

I still have all summer to figure it out, but it's real lovely facing such near future with little certainty. Thinking about hitting up the VA to see if I can use voc rehab for grad school as a fall back plan. Meanwhile, in my inbox:

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
All of us TSgts in my flight have 1 divorce under our belts each. Promote Now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only guy I knew who made Master without being divorced was a massive rear end in a top hat but not really weird. Somehow