Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Just let me put this here.

:japan:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Playing Henri IV is getting dull. Most of the games I can't utilize speed because I get detected way too fast (12.7 km concealment) then rain of shells come flying at me, so I just end up spamming IFHE for damage and fire from range (pubbies still shoot me from 18 km). Seriously, closing in to brawl in this ship is as hard as Moskva for some reason.

I still do enough damage (average 91k atm) but it's not enough to impact the tides of game in any way.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
I think I hate the Kirov.

Someone told me it's a brawler, but I don't see how since it can't turn and it's as big as a battleship. Armor does not seem that great and I've been detonated twice in it.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 11, 2017

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Evil_Greven posted:

Someone told me it's a brawler, but I don't see how since it can't turn and it's as big as a battleship. Armor does not seem that great and I've been detonated twice in it.

You're a HE spammer. Spam HE. You're also a tier 5 cruiser that gets uptiered constantly so being deleted is kind of a way of life. You have 16.3 km range with the upgrade and 14.22 km detectability without concealment expert. Whoever told you 'brawler' failed you. Failed you hard. Use the range to set the world on fire and kind of dance behind islands to go unspotted and make your turns.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
Magazines seem a lot more prevalent than they were a patch ago. I have gotten more detonations in the past week than I did in the last month.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Evil_Greven posted:

For the Kirov you want to stay a long ways away from people. You have bad armor and slow ROF guns. Hang back and set people on fire initially. When the map closes in go to AP and dunk on cruisers.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Polyakov posted:

Stock range is fine, your shell velocity is very awful so you cannot really hit stuff at extended ranges anyway so the range extension is of questionable use.

So which upgrade should I install instead?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Burt posted:

Just let me put this here.

:japan:

Lemmie join you

I killed that Clemson, but I was so busy shooting him I ran into an island and ate his torps after he died. Pretty sure I would have killed the last BB if not for that.
:france:

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 11, 2017

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Evil_Greven posted:

Someone told me it's a brawler

Someone told you a big fat lie.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Soup Inspector posted:

Reload time or AA, depending on how much you hate carrier players. I think i took AA because EU is lousy with CV players.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Polyakov posted:

Reload time or AA, depending on how much you hate carrier players. I think i took AA because EU is lousy with CV players.

I'm on NA (despite being a EU goon :ssh:) so I suppose reload time it is!

Now watch as I immediately get mobbed by every CV on the planet.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Evil_Greven posted:

Russian cruisers are all about kiting at long range and setting fires with their railguns. While those railguns do work fairly well with AP at closer range against cruisers (see this Yuro video), those aren't your bread and butter. Notice that Yuro is either kiting or about to die in all those shots. Take heed of that.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Soup Inspector posted:

I use torp reload on mi Minotaur.
I find gun reload is already quick enough and I have trouble aiming with too many salvo in flight at the same time.
Might try gun reload when there is an upgrade discount.
Also AA range in 2nd slot because gently caress CV.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
A tale of weekend pubbies, in pictures:

Blindeye fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 11, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I mentioned last night in chat about low-tier ships carrying teams. BEHOLD:

Yes, that is an Omaha who was faildivisioned in. He did some hero cap saving (as did the Kaga).

I'm still mad I couldn't kill the Zao when the enemy team rushed me. I got it to like 1k after dodging all its torps but then the heal came up and I was killed by one of the many many nearby battleships.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Blindeye posted:

A tale of weekend pubbies, in pictures:

Best part IMHO is that both his T5 div mates did way better than him

Like, comon dawg you can do better

kaesarsosei posted:

I actually replied to his thread on that on Reddit. IMO Essex and Midway should get their 1-2-2 loadout back. Why should Taiho/Hakuryu get 12 torp planes in the air but the USN only 6? And if anything, its easier to land more torps with IJN squadrons since they can be stacked better.

The old Midway was bullshit because its planes were practically supersonic and the Essex was bullshit because AAA was completely awful in those days. And on top of that you had MM where sometimes only one team had a CV or one team had a CV one or two tiers higher than the other. Since then we've had the German BBs and CAs, both with much better AA than their IJN counterparts, and USN BBs AA has been buffed many times. Plus the RN cruisers. And mirror'd MM means that Taiho/Hakuryu are flatout better at everything than USN.

Speaking of which, Kaga is on sale in EU now, £32 for ship alone and with 2 bundle options.
Super old post but I was sorta thinking about IJN vs USN CV balance the other day and barring any sort of major changes* I was thinking that you could probably roughly balance the two lines by making 2 rather simple changes. First is to give Ranger and Lex either 1/1/2 or 2/1/1 as a loadout, allowing them to actually have an ok loadout. I'd like to see Essex get 2/1/2 as well but 1/1/3 is fine enough that it's not a major thing like the Ranger and Lex loadouts.

The second thing would be to reduce the rearm times on the USN CVs to be close or same as the IJN ones. Current base numbers for reference:
Midway
FIghters: 38s (6.33s/plane)
TBs: 41s (6.83s/plane)
DBs: 41s (6.83s/plane)

Hakuryu
FIghters: 20s (5s/plane)
TBs: 25s (6.25s/plane)
DBs: 24s (6s/plane)

As you can see not only do the IJN have a slightly faster service time on an individual plane basis, but due to their smaller squadrons, have a much faster overall turnaround time. On paper this doesn't seem that big of a deal due to the USN's better squadron capabilities but in practice this means that IJN can turnaround their planes much much faster compared to their USN counterparts. Since squadrons are serviced independently, and IJN get more squadrons than USN, this leads to a somewhat double whammy of USN not only having a longer individual squadron rearm time, but having less squadrons means that they service slower overall. Oh and as a bonus the launch and land times are also (very) slightly longer on USN because of the larger squadrons (to the tune of about 1 or 2 seconds; not a big deal but it's still there).

Some quick napkin math indicates that if you start counting from the second the first squadron starts to rearm, a Midway with all CV skills can have its single TB squadron back in the air and controllable in about 42s. A Hakuryu (with all the skills) can have all 3 of its TB squads in the air and control in about 50s. This isn't even talking about how beneficial it is to have more squadrons over less but bigger squadrons in terms of map presence, or how because the squadron lost penalty is a 2.5x multiplier, USN are penalized much more heavily compared to IJN for losing a whole squad. So yeah, in conclusion I think if you shaved off about 10 to 15 seconds from the USN service time so they would have a similar overall turnaround time as the IJN they'd be in a much better place overall. Would it make USN better or even on par with the IJN line? Probably not but at the very least I think it'd mean that seeing your have a USN CV and their team having a IJN CV wouldn't make you groan and hate life anymore.

Well anyway that's my dumb long post about a class most of you all hate hope you enjoyed

*A WG dev said they're currently doing a pass on USN CVs to balance them and that the Enterprise was kind of a test bed for the line's new balance so we might get Enterprise style plane loads of balanced squadrons with 5 planes each and a lovely torp drop pattern, though presumably without the under-tied planes

Insert name here fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 11, 2017

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

So our Kagero is going to cap a point. He knows that they have a Missouri on their team, saying "They have radar so this might be a short cap." I tell him that's ok, just stay alive. About a minute later he dies after being radared at that cap and says "I told you it'd be a short cap."

I'm stunned. I thought he meant that he'd try to stay there as long as possible before the MO got into range, but no it appears he decided to suicide cap by lazily sitting there until the MO popped radar and his friends shot him.

He loving knew. He saw his doom approaching and did literally nothing to stop it. Just some passive loving idiot who was like a deer in headlights, thinking "Oh the Missouri is 15km away. Should I move or...no, nevermind. We are all already dead. My existence is meaningless."

mik
Oct 16, 2003
oh

Gwaihir posted:

Very much so. Frequently you get the same 5-7 MM as gremy, but you are EVEN FASTER and have more torps and guns.

After finally making it to Des Moines I love it so so much. Surprising another cruiser around an island is just flat out guaranteed death if they're broadside. Chunk out 15k volleys every 5 seconds, or 5k HE volleys on DDs. After the slower firing cruisers it's just so great.

I have 500+ speed flags and holy poo poo zipping around at 47kt almost permanently with the Speed Boost module is fun.

Third game.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I really want the Leningrad. I love go-fast Russian DDs and it looks super fun, but I already have a Blys and it's hard for me to justify it due to how similar they are. I mean if I could, I'd trade in the Blys for the Leningrad in an instance, but spending 26 bucks for a ship that's similar but better is a bitter pill to swallow.

I'll probably just finally bite the bullet and get a Belfast. I already have good premium BBs in the Nikolai and the Warspite, and the only other (non-freebie) premium cruiser I have is the Murmansk. Which is fun and good but it's lost a lot of its luster lately.

After I bought the Nikolai they yanked it from the store for being too overpowered a few months later. Maybe I can get a repeat performance with the Belfast.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Stock Bismarck is pretty good, y'all:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Trillhouse posted:

I really want the Leningrad. I love go-fast Russian DDs and it looks super fun, but I already have a Blys and it's hard for me to justify it due to how similar they are. I mean if I could, I'd trade in the Blys for the Leningrad in an instance, but spending 26 bucks for a ship that's similar but better is a bitter pill to swallow.

I'll probably just finally bite the bullet and get a Belfast. I already have good premium BBs in the Nikolai and the Warspite, and the only other (non-freebie) premium cruiser I have is the Murmansk. Which is fun and good but it's lost a lot of its luster lately.

After I bought the Nikolai they yanked it from the store for being too overpowered a few months later. Maybe I can get a repeat performance with the Belfast.

The Blys and Leningrad are not alike. The Blys is not stealthy and has a lot more gunpower than the Leningrad. The Blys can kite and harass, but shines best when offensively smoked and ruining some BB's day. The Leningrad just pops on the nitro and becomes extremely hard to hit by even the best of players when utilized properly, and has some absurdly accurate guns, even for a DD. And there's always the stealth torp option, if you wish.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Hazdoc posted:

The Blys and Leningrad are not alike. The Blys is not stealthy and has a lot more gunpower than the Leningrad. The Blys can kite and harass, but shines best when offensively smoked and ruining some BB's day. The Leningrad just pops on the nitro and becomes extremely hard to hit by even the best of players when utilized properly, and has some absurdly accurate guns, even for a DD. And there's always the stealth torp option, if you wish.

Leningrad is just does everything the Blys does better. Better (and more) torps, marginally better concealment, higher DPM, higher speed, much better rudder shift, etc. All the Blys has is better gun handling/round velocity. I'm just disappointed that the Blys is outclassed since they removed stealth firing.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004
This whole weekend has been awash with carriers, especially Kagas. What a bad time to be anything larger than a DD.

Eventually I gave up and started playing my own CV. I dunno why more CVs don't just start flinging torpedoes at DDs in smoke because that poo poo wins games.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

This whole weekend has been awash with carriers, especially Kagas. What a bad time to be anything larger than a DD.

Eventually I gave up and started playing my own CV. I dunno why more CVs don't just start flinging torpedoes at DDs in smoke because that poo poo wins games.

There is a stupid weekend event which rewards you 4 port slots if you can grind 10k base xp in each class

edit: Jesus, my teams are melting before I can get more than 5 salvos off....in a loving cruiser

MikeC fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 12, 2017

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Trillhouse posted:

Belfast is strong, but its no bullshit like the Nikolai. Biggest downside to the Belfast is having to have a unique captain since it needs IFHE.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Just terrible team after terrible team tonight. Ended the night with 3 games in my Saipan in an attempt to get rid of some of that stress, and got a T7, T8, and T9 game, in that order. Did a pretty good job of shutting down the enemy CV in all three games, including the Kaga I ran into in game 2 (ended with ~42 kills or so, utterly crushing his first attack wave and mostly keeping him in check thereafter), along with still turning out a fair amount of damage, but it JUST. DIDN'T. MATTER. Just utterly terrible teams the first two games who basically did nothing useful whatsoever.

T9 game was finally a win, but even there the team was poo poo - the enemy team was just even more so. Unfortunately the way they were poo poo meant I only got ~50-60k damage during the game, because what happened was all their BBs ended up in a clusterfuck together in the middle of nowhere. As in running into each other close, and 4 or so with a kilometer of each other, along with a few cruisers.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Lord Koth posted:

Just terrible team after terrible team tonight. Ended the night with 3 games in my Saipan in an attempt to get rid of some of that stress, and got a T7, T8, and T9 game, in that order. Did a pretty good job of shutting down the enemy CV in all three games, including the Kaga I ran into in game 2 (ended with ~42 kills or so, utterly crushing his first attack wave and mostly keeping him in check thereafter), along with still turning out a fair amount of damage, but it JUST. DIDN'T. MATTER. Just utterly terrible teams the first two games who basically did nothing useful whatsoever.

T9 game was finally a win, but even there the team was poo poo - the enemy team was just even more so. Unfortunately the way they were poo poo meant I only got ~50-60k damage during the game, because what happened was all their BBs ended up in a clusterfuck together in the middle of nowhere. As in running into each other close, and 4 or so with a kilometer of each other, along with a few cruisers.

There are some unbelievably bad teams tonight. I don't even know how they are dying so fast. Its like they literally drive up and then present full broadside. Even then I would expect them to last longer than 2 minutes from match start

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Two New Mexicos, in a division, who sailed around in formation with a Ryujo at the back of the map until we lost on points

Thundercakes
Nov 4, 2011
The game I decided to end the night on was a Kutuzov game with 160k damage, 4 kills, high cal, confederate, and a loss. And it wasn't even close, I doubled up my #2 teammate in base XP.

E: so many DD just committing suicide in the first 3 minutes of the match tonight that it's nigh unbelievable

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

MikeC posted:

There is a stupid weekend event which rewards you 4 port slots if you can grind 10k base xp in each class

*Looks at 13 extra slots in port*

No thanks, I'm good.

az
Dec 2, 2005

presented without comment

https://na.warships.today/player/1001444487/rip69

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

That link showed up black for me and I was like "Huh, I must have searched this guy before?"

Then I clicked the link and it all came back to me. He was on my team in a domination match in his Lexington. Halfway through the match all of his planes were dead and the opposing CV had carte blanche to do whatever he wanted. Which involved repeatedly torping our BBs. I died in my Tashkent after the red CV stuck a fighter on me and most of the rest of our team had died. He then hid in a corner as both sides ripped into him for sucking.

I only search people's stats when they're exceptionally bad, and this is one of the guys I've searched.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

This one is kind of sad. Over 4000 games played. That stats are bad but the average damage is high enough that he can't be suspected of AFK farming or botting.

VVVVV I think he means that the Belfast requires some modicum of skill and understanding to do well in. The loving Nikolai literally can have Rip69 drive it and probably still come out with a + win rate while trolling the entire enemy team. VVVV

MikeC fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 12, 2017

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

CitizenKain posted:

Belfast is strong, but its no bullshit like the Nikolai. Biggest downside to the Belfast is having to have a unique captain since it needs IFHE.

I disagree here. A Belfast with a good captain is incredibly overpowered. I aim to hit 100k average damage in it soon.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Luck of the draw, I guess, but after 11 games yesterday, a 75% win rate, and blue WTR, I had to call it a night. My last game was top billing in a win in the Kutuzov where I was bottom tier and got over 2000 base XP. Loading up on the credit camo and flags earned mey over 1.2 million in silver. There were some terrible teams though, mostly on the other side for me. I don't know what's worse the full health top tier BB's at the end of a match who just sail around in the back doing nothing or the DD's that charge in and die. I watched a Nicholas charge a Gneisenau. He whiffs his torpedoes and they all miss the Gneis and he keeps just closing range and gets chewed up by secondaries.

Cippalippus posted:

I disagree here. A Belfast with a good captain is incredibly overpowered. I aim to hit 100k average damage in it soon.

With the caveats being a good captain and a good player, I agree. IFHE Belfast with it's sub 9km concealment and radar is stupidly OP. It's not anything special in the hands of some meh pubbie with an 8 point captain. But somebody who knows what they are doing and having a 14 point captain, it's incredible. I'm not that good of a player, but I was often getting 90k games in it during the last ranked season.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Rip69 is bad, but Juggalo_Gunner makes him look like a unicum:

https://na.warships.today/player/1015935220/JUGGALO_GUNNER

After playing through the Fiji, I kinda feel like I would really enjoy the Belfast. But $38? Ouch. Maybe i'll get one out of a Secret Santa box if im still playing then.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Blindeye posted:

Stock Bismarck is pretty good, y'all:
Yeap, not good enough though

To be fair though I spent a good deal of the match just trying to avoid getting focused to poo poo while my team all died, racked up most of that damage after the match was already pretty much lost. Just went down swinging all :black101: like.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Lakedaimon posted:

I have to give it to rip69 for 2700 games in a Lexington and 400 Wyoming games and still being that bad.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Pretty good Nurnburg game by Flamu. He's bottom tier in a heavily T8 game and has to carry his team to victory. Make special note of the two retard BBs on his team at the end who refused to go back to their base to reset the cap despite being just as far away and just as fast as Flamu.

It's kinda weird too because I could have sworn I had those two idiots on my team all weekend, despite them being on a different server. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Lakedaimon posted:

https://na.warships.today/player/1015935220/JUGGALO_GUNNER

After playing through the Fiji, I kinda feel like I would really enjoy the Belfast. But $38? Ouch. Maybe i'll get one out of a Secret Santa box if im still playing then.

Thats just an afk/botter.