Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm surprised they can tell the difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Nothing surprises me anymore.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
We're just a bunch of goons trying to show how progressive and enlightened we are by knowing poo poo about stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

enraged_camel posted:

This whole conversation about Sikhs is creeping me out. TD always talks about how Sikhs are "based" because they hate Muslims.
okay? so they've had good experiences with Sikhs and are talking about it, whoopdy doo, what's creepy about it?

There's not a religion on the planet that's not had really bad poo poo done in its name. I highly doubt they're saying good things about Sikhs for the same reason TD does.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Jealous Cow posted:

We're just a bunch of goons trying to show how progressive and enlightened we are by knowing poo poo about stuff.

D&D tagline right there.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I am sure there are a few of the equivalent of white weeaboos for Sikhism that are UNBEARABLE. i don't even want to imagine that.

I had to talk an old racist lady at work out of calling 911 because she saw one go into a public bathroom to take a long poo poo. Yeah, Lois, it makes perfect sense that Al Qaeda wants to set off a bomb in our shitter, good call. That's my Sikh story.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Every group of humans has bad and good people in them. People who say things like "Sikhs are always good people" or "Buddists are always peaceful" are just setting themselves up for disappointment. Sociologist types call it the "model minority " and it isn't 100% a good thing.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
Which is the most pleasant religious group to interact with: Mormons or Sikhs? I vote Mormon but I'm on the east coast and don't actually think I've met a Sikh, while I've had a bunch of Mormon coworkers. They're very nice.

My evangelical friends all think they're the second-coming of Nate Silver since Trump won the election, and are constantly talking about Fake News

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Isn't sikhism the one religion the guy followed who like slashed out his daughters eyes or something because he mistakenly thought she was sleeping with a guy of Pakistani origin?

Lol you guys will defend anything

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Captain Invictus posted:

okay? so they've had good experiences with Sikhs and are talking about it, whoopdy doo, what's creepy about it?

There is a subtext of who is actually bad when someone bemoans that a racist killed a Sikh and sikhs aren't even bad.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

The Religious Right in America is ao radioactive it makes all other modern Christians seem like poo poo by association, and every other alternative seem great by comparison.

:ms:

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

There is a subtext of who is actually bad when someone bemoans that a racist killed a Sikh and sikhs aren't even bad.

oh good we have the Progressive Word Police here. Clean this poo poo up!

I think we're about to enter a slow news period. I can't imagine there's going to be much leaking from Mueller and his crew

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

sharkbomb posted:

My evangelical friends all think they're the second-coming of Nate Silver since Trump won the election, and are constantly talking about Fake News

that's the funniest thing to me. they believe the most dishonest politician in human history and scream that reporting reality is fake news.

sharkbomb posted:

I think we're about to enter a slow news period. I can't imagine there's going to be much leaking from Mueller and his crew

most of the leaking is straight from the white house.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sharkbomb posted:

oh good we have the Progressive Word Police here. Clean this poo poo up!

You have to have noticed that more and more society views attacks on Muslims not quite as bad as when someone attacks the "wrong religion" accidentally

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

This is a couple pages back but, as someone who works in the newspaper biz: if you're bypassing a paywall or meter times and time again, pay for a fuckin digital sub and turn off your ad blockers

community journalism is dying and while a lot of us are trying to figure out a better revenue model than subs+display ads, we need to keep the lights on while we do it

Pay for content, y'all

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The racist. They're both evil *and* super loving stupid.

Nobody here is trying to teach white trash murder target selection.

But you want something to feel smug about so something something *subtext*. You left out the weasel word ~problematic~ though so this only gets a woke B-.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You have to have noticed that more and more society views attacks on Muslims not quite as bad as when someone attacks the "wrong religion" accidentally

Yeah, you're right.

I definitely heard way more about those people in Oregon that were killed standing up that deranged racist than i've heard about... any other murders (at least here in my bubble). Also, as I think about it, if there was ever some kind of attack that specifically targeted Christians in the US (i guess Egypt doesn't count?) it would result in months of government-sponsored hysteria. Mike Pence would be on TV in full battle rattle

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Feral Integral posted:

Isn't sikhism the one religion the guy followed who like slashed out his daughters eyes or something because he mistakenly thought she was sleeping with a guy of Pakistani origin?

Lol you guys will defend anything

Crazy guy is an adherent of a religion, ergo all adherents of that religion are crazy. Adds up.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/873878232264822784

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/873879934040780801

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
tweets were here

e:Dammit, I was triple checking whether the thread actually somehow was 15 minutes late with trump tweets

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016

Waffles Inc. posted:

This is a couple pages back but, as someone who works in the newspaper biz: if you're bypassing a paywall or meter times and time again, pay for a fuckin digital sub and turn off your ad blockers

community journalism is dying and while a lot of us are trying to figure out a better revenue model than subs+display ads, we need to keep the lights on while we do it

Pay for content, y'all

Nah, hope your stupid industry is deader than a door nail in a few years.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

This is a new level of gibberish

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's annoying the president can't actually get shat on for these lying tweets. that isn't a leak you dumb gently caress.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Rinkles posted:

This is a new level of gibberish

yeah seriously. i was going to complain that that's not how you use "prevalent" but then i noticed that everything else is wrong too so i just said gently caress it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Groovelord Neato posted:

it's annoying the president can't actually get shat on for these lying tweets. that isn't a leak you dumb gently caress.

Very 'cowardly!'

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So I came across this video today and wanted to comment on it. As predicted (or really expected at this point, these are hardly even predictions anymore) the Oathkeepers have emerged as a quasi-vigilante force providing armed "security" for Proud Boys and the like at demonstrations. This video is a demonstration of a high-compaction Narrativist that has reached a 10 on my hypothetical compaction scale. He is fully prepared to engage in violence and at this point the only thing really holding him back is our militarized police force. (He admits this pretty directly.) In this video he demonstrates many of the benchmarks for Narrativism as well as winging that even Hitler admitted that Islam is more "masculine" than our "feminine" Christianity.

Based on my experience in cults/being a high-compaction Narrativist, the way this individual calmly asserts that there will be a Civil War within three years while calmly describing anything his perceived Enemy does as preparations for the coming conflict. Within Trump supporters at present I believe that there is momentum building for another Rapid Narrative Convergence Event, and under the current circumstances a R.N.C.E. would have a very high probability of turning violent. Thankfully with Trump running the Federal government it is much harder for his Narrativist supporters to find a venue for this R.N.C.E to play out (taking over a federal wildlife refuge isn't going to cut it this time) so for now very little is likely to come out of this. However with this much momentum building towards a R.N.C.E. if a venue opportunistically presents itself (hard to imagine how, although I can see a militia targeting a facility owned by a state government in a blue state like California) then we could see civil order break down on a small scale wherever the R.N.C.E. winds up playing out at. (Civil order was severely strained during the Malheur occupation and required turning portions of the city into a fortress.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j6IrGR-cFg&t=60s

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

I went to a barber shop on Friday to get my haircut and my barber (and owner of the shop) couldn't stop talking about how Comey was a leaker.

I'm not going back to that barber shop.

sharkbomb
Feb 9, 2005
The thing about Comey testifying under oath is that now every single reporter should be asking Spicer, Sanders, and Trump "you've made assertion X, will you say that under oath like James Comey did?" The other day, some reporter asked Trump whether he would assert something under oath and I swear he had a mini-stroke during his response

And to all our dumbshit MAGA-tard associates we can ask "well, why won't Trump say that under oath like Comey did?"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sean10mm posted:

The racist. They're both evil *and* super loving stupid.

Nobody here is trying to teach white trash murder target selection.

But you want something to feel smug about so something something *subtext*. You left out the weasel word ~problematic~ though so this only gets a woke B-.

Listen, when people talk about racists killing sikhs being worse than when muslims get killed there is a reason for that. It's worse because they accidently killed someone innocent right, someone that wasn't involved? unlike when they killed a muslim.

Even people that don't call themselves evil racists are subtly more into the idea that if the racist killed a muslim at least they got the right person, not "someone totally unrelated to terrorism". get it?

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold?CMP=twt_gu

Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming.

The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I went to a Sikh wedding almost 9 years ago since the couple are my friends (I worked with the husband in the same HP project and the wife worked in a project in the neighboring building of the same company; both of them were among the only people that constantly kicked my rear end cooking). The bride was dressed in an arrangement that made all Disney princesses look homely. The groom looked like every "I am loving awesome" song ever written was about him. The food was delicious. The only downside is that I was sitting next to a bunch of kids and I'm almost sure that they were calling me dumb names.

But yeah, I have no beef with Sikhs. Except those cheeky brats. :argh:

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

sharkbomb posted:

The other day, some reporter asked Trump whether he would assert something under oath and I swear he had a mini-stroke during his response

It's hilarious because trump said he'd speak under oath but if you actually go through what he said word by word you can tell he's actually trying to use his old man mouth to deny that he lead comey into a room then put him under oath. Like even fox news reported it as him saying he'd go under oath because he said he'd "100% speak under oath" but if you look at all the sentences around it he's talking about him personally putting comey under an oath.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump is appointing Russel Vought to be deputy director of the White House Office of Management and Budget.

Bernie decided to probe into anti muslim comments Russ made while at super conservative Wheaton Christian college.

quote:

Sen. Sanders: "'Muslims do not simply have a deficient theology. They do not know God because they have rejected Jesus Christ, His Son, and they stand condemned.' Do you believe that that statement is Islamophobic?"

Mr. Vought: "Absolutely not, Senator. I'm a Christian, and I believe in a Christian set of principles based on my faith...

Sanders: "...Forgive me, we just don't have a lot of time. Do you believe people in the Muslim religion stand condemned? Is that your view?"

Vought: "Again, Senator, I'm a Christian, and I wrote that piece in accordance with the statement of faith at Wheaton College..."

Sanders: "I understand that. I don't know how many Muslims there are in America. Maybe a couple million. Are you suggesting that these people stand condemned? What about Jews? Do they stand condemned too?"

Vought: "Senator, I'm a Christian..."

Sanders: "I understand you are a Christian, but this country [is] made of people who are not just -- I understand that Christianity is the majority religion, but there are other people of different religions in this country and around the world. In your judgment, do you think that people who are not Christians are going to be condemned?"

Vought: "Thank you for probing on that question. As a Christian, I believe that all individuals are made in the image of God and are worthy of dignity and respect regardless of their religious beliefs. I believe that as a Christian that's how I should treat all individuals..."

Sanders: "...Do you think that's respectful of other religions?... I would simply say, Mr. Chairman that this nominee is really not someone who this country is supposed to be about."

Social media responded

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ewan posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jun/11/donald-trump-state-visit-to-britain-put-on-hold?CMP=twt_gu

Donald Trump has told Theresa May in a phone call he does not want to go ahead with a state visit to Britain until the British public supports him coming.

The US president said he did not want to come if there were large-scale protests and his remarks in effect put the visit on hold for some time.

Then you're gonna be waiting for a very, very long time, Donny boy.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

But you said those numbers were manipulated when Obama was president.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

It's pretty clear that Trump doesn't really construct coherent sentences at this point. It seems like he just takes particular phrases that stick in his mind for whatever reason and applies it to the topic at hand.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Leave it to D&D to make "I think Sikhs are good people" to "They're horrible and you're a sikh-weeb!"

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Listen, when people talk about racists killing sikhs being worse than when muslims get killed there is a reason for that. It's worse because they accidently killed someone innocent right, someone that wasn't involved? unlike when they killed a muslim.

Even people that don't call themselves evil racists are subtly more into the idea that if the racist killed a muslim at least they got the right person, not "someone totally unrelated to terrorism". get it?

How often do people genuinely talk about racists killing Sikhs being worse than when Muslims get killed though? I think people react more to a hate crime that involves a case of mistaken identity more than an "ordinary" (I feel dirty for even typing that word in relation to violence) hate crime because 1.) it is unusual and therefor interesting and 2.) as unsettling as the thought of being randomly targeted for violence because of your identity is, the thought of being randomly targeted for violence because of superficial similarities between your identity and the identity of another group is even more unsettling to the average person.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich

Prester Jane posted:

So I came across this video today and wanted to comment on it. As predicted (or really expected at this point, these are hardly even predictions anymore) the Oathkeepers have emerged as a quasi-vigilante force providing armed "security" for Proud Boys and the like at demonstrations. This video is a demonstration of a high-compaction Narrativist that has reached a 10 on my hypothetical compaction scale. He is fully prepared to engage in violence and at this point the only thing really holding him back is our militarized police force. (He admits this pretty directly.) In this video he demonstrates many of the benchmarks for Narrativism as well as winging that even Hitler admitted that Islam is more "masculine" than our "feminine" Christianity.

Based on my experience in cults/being a high-compaction Narrativist, the way this individual calmly asserts that there will be a Civil War within three years while calmly describing anything his perceived Enemy does as preparations for the coming conflict. Within Trump supporters at present I believe that there is momentum building for another Rapid Narrative Convergence Event, and under the current circumstances a R.N.C.E. would have a very high probability of turning violent. Thankfully with Trump running the Federal government it is much harder for his Narrativist supporters to find a venue for this R.N.C.E to play out (taking over a federal wildlife refuge isn't going to cut it this time) so for now very little is likely to come out of this. However with this much momentum building towards a R.N.C.E. if a venue opportunistically presents itself (hard to imagine how, although I can see a militia targeting a facility owned by a state government in a blue state like California) then we could see civil order break down on a small scale wherever the R.N.C.E. winds up playing out at. (Civil order was severely strained during the Malheur occupation and required turning portions of the city into a fortress.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j6IrGR-cFg&t=60s

:lol:

Now who can argue with that? Not only was it authentic frontier gibberish, it expressed a courage little seen in this day and age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Trump is appointing Russel Vought to be deputy director of the White House Office of Management and Budget.

Bernie decided to probe into anti muslim comments Russ made while at super conservative Wheaton Christian college.

Social media responded

the thinnest most delicate of skins

• Locked thread